Weight Watchers?

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Over the summer I dieted on my own and lost almost 40 pounds. I am now a happy size 8, but would be an even happier size 6=D My husband wants to diet with me and as grad students, we really cannot afford the weight watchers membership. I have heard great things about it and would like to try it out. Has anyone ever did weight watchers and what start up materials are necessary for the diet? I'm thinking about just purchasing the materials since I am disciplined enough to follow the diet without the meetings. My weight loss at this point is only for vanity sake and my husband wants to be a better rock climber.
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    If Weight Watchers worked long term would they still be in business? I don't think so!There business relies on people who return time and again.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    stargirl69 wrote:
    If Weight Watchers worked long term would they still be in business? I don't think so!There business relies on people who return time and again.

thats true - but I do believe its one of the easiest diet plans out there.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    mikalina wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

thats true - but I do believe its one of the easiest diet plans out there.
    Both true... Lost 40 lbs on it... Put it back on over 10 years... then did it again and am almost there... meetings helped.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I've never been on this diet plan - but ( 2 ) of my friends are on it.

Its very easy, because every food item has a "number" and you are allowed up to that number per day.

Lets just say you can eat up to number 29 per day- you are given an extensive food list not to mention fast food etc. and you keep track of your daily intake... ( number )

If you don't go over your number - you will lose the weight.

I think it works - as long as you keep track of what you're eating. You can also do that on your own.

good luck :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    i would check craigslist in 3 weeks for all the folks who have quit ;)
  • Thanks guys. I did not think about waiting until everyone gets sick of dieting,lol. I do fairly well with my own discipline, but the hubby doesn't do so great. I think this would really help him out. I do fine starving myself, he just gets grumpy. I hear most people say that you do not feel like you are starving on WW, so I think this will be great for him. Anyway, all advice is welcomed! Thank you!
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    First of all, congrats on the weight loss all on your own! That's great!

if you say you have the willpower, then go for it...though now that I have gone thru and bought the materials...I kinda thought it was a waste of money...90% of it is books with the food point values listed in it. There are several excellent apps (I found a great android one) that take the program 'rules' and calculates everything for you. It also has a database you can use to look up points, and that's easier than reading thru the books. When you start out, you will be looking up so much stuff...I got aggravated.

The main book will describe both plans, Points and Core. Points id the most popular-everything is assigned a point value and you figure out your 'point limit' and eat whatever you like until you reach your point limit, Core is very restrictive...basically 'real' foods and fat-free mayo/oils.

The Dining Out guide was useless to me...we don't have half the restaurants that are listed in it...Friendly's, Smoothie King, Chick-Fil-a, Eat N Park, Culver's...
    I ended up just pretty much cutting out all the fake processed foods, and using my 'allowance' points for the occasional candy bar.

Just remember...WW is ALL about every single thing you put in your mouth...how much oil are you grilling your chicken with? How much salt are you sprinkling on your meal?

I did lose 15 pounds on WW, the first time around...but was so damn hungry by the end of the day, I was a cranky girl. Lost 10 from the app..been using it for the last month, it has the points plus plan, so I'm not so hungry.

I never went to a meeting, did it all on my own. I'm also in the same boat as you. Mr. RK likes would eat steak and potatoes every night if he could...I'm happy with a salmon patty and veggies. :lol:

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the app, or the books...you should do great!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Try sparkpeople.com- FREE

you set your own goal, it tells ya what you should eat protein/fats/carbs/calories per day based on your goal..etc. Also has a fitness regime suggested... At the end of the day you get feedback based on your intake.

The one bad thing is daily entering of foods (Grams/Oz), but it keeps you on your goal and makes you see what you can and should not eat on a daily basis. Both My wife and I had fun doing this- became a game after awhile.

i lost 25pds last summer on it... need to get back on it soon, damn Christmas did not help.

It does work....
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Just for curiosity sake I am trying the Special K diet for 2 weeks. Supposedly if you eat 2 bowls of Special K cereal everyday for 2 weeks, 2 100 calorie snacks after breakfast and lunch, then eat a regular portioned healthy dinner you will lose 2 sizes off your waist. I find that a little hard to believe which is why I am trying it. I am a 36 waist hovering near a 38. Started it on the 1st and will see what happens. My wife has about 20 boxes of Special K in the basement so I won't have to buy any cereal for this.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    I do MyFitnessPal. It's free and it also has an app for smartphones. I lost 25lbs on it. It's really easy, you can save meals on it, you can track exercise, etc. Really good for me and I've recommended it to numerous people who have also lost weight using it.
  • Learn the basic principles about the relationship of foods to the health of the human body. Once you develop this understanding of nutrition , you will not be vulnerable to deceptive practices of organizations who's primary objective is get your money.
    I recommend the book the Nutrition Almanac. This book contains info about how healthy foods are metabolized and can benefit the body. Do not even think about the weight loss. Focus on giving your body vital nutrients. It is not so much what we eat that causes health problems , but what we do not eat. This lack of nutrients leaves us without many protective factors. Once your body is in a state of optimum nutrition your ideal weight and fitness level will appear . Good health should be your primary goal.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    My wife is on Weight Watchers. She joined 2 1/2 yrs ago after our 2nd child. She lost 40 lbs and has maintained. She's a lifelong member now, as long as she doesn't go over her weight limit. She weighs in 1 or 2 times a month.

I used the materials to get my "point total" which I could eat per day. I lost 20 lbs in about 6 months. I decided to not follow and put those lbs back on.

It works, but it's really just portion control. I'm actually starting the point thing again this week. (not a new years thing, but to drop another 20 for summer)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I've been doing it for a little over 2 years now and I've lost just over 80 pounds. If you workout and follow the program - it works. You just can't stress (and give up) when you gain a couple of pounds. Sometimes no matter how well you did that week, you might put on a pound or two. The important thing is to keep pushing and you'll get there. No other "diet" plan works like WW
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    I did WW a few years ago(& have put it all back on) & 2 things I found to be GEMS were mussels, like shellfish are FAB in terms of high protein so they fill you up & very low points + my key snack was the little rice crackers(Sakata brand over here) with a little bit of Mexican style salsa & little bit of lite cottage cheese. 10x that equalled like 1 or 2 points & gets you through, especially with protein in cottage cheese, until the next meal.

I went back to meetings for a couple of weeks when I had the cash a couple of years ago & said I'm back again type thing to the leader & she said 'ah, you stopped coming to meetings then' like when you don't keep yourself totally accountable is when the weight creeps back on. Meetings are free if you're on or very close to your goal weight so sounds like it is an idea for anyone who makes it to goal to keep going to meetings!

Just a couple of tips from me. All the best with weight loss peeps. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    Learn the basic principles about the relationship of foods to the health of the human body. Once you develop this understanding of nutrition , you will not be vulnerable to deceptive practices of organizations who's primary objective is get your money.
    I recommend the book the Nutrition Almanac. This book contains info about how healthy foods are metabolized and can benefit the body. Do not even think about the weight loss. Focus on giving your body vital nutrients. It is not so much what we eat that causes health problems , but what we do not eat. This lack of nutrients leaves us without many protective factors. Once your body is in a state of optimum nutrition your ideal weight and fitness level will appear . Good health should be your primary goal.
    Very interesting green mountain man. I might see if my library has that book or can get it in for me.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • morello wrote:
    Learn the basic principles about the relationship of foods to the health of the human body. Once you develop this understanding of nutrition , you will not be vulnerable to deceptive practices of organizations who's primary objective is get your money.
    Very interesting green mountain man. I might see if my library has that book or can get it in for me.
    It is available on Amazon.com or at Barnes and Noble if you have B & N In NZ.
    I need an updated copy , so I will probably buy a new one. If you don't find one, I will bring my copy to Amsterdam and let you borrow it for as long as you need it. You can ship it back to me later. I can not wait for the AMS pre-concert parties.
    morello wrote:
    It is available on Amazon.com or at Barnes and Noble if you have B & N In NZ.
    I need an updated copy , so I will probably buy a new one. If you don't find one, I will bring my copy to Amsterdam and let you borrow it for as long as you need it. You can ship it back to me later. I can not wait for the AMS pre-concert parties.
    Hey wow. that's a great idea. Yes indeed Amsterdam pre-parties will be GREAT! I'll check my library, really can't be buying ANYTHING right now, need all $$ for trip & if they don't have it checking yours out would be cool!!
    <hr>
  • Charles Barkley is the new spokesman for weight watchers. He was caught in one of those moments when he did not realize his microphone was still on. He was overheard saying that " WEIGHT WATCHERS IS A BIG SCAM ".
    There is so much advice and recommendations given from product manufacturers that is not valid. It is all designed with the goal of making money. This is especially seen with over the counter meds, prescriptions, and dietary advice. It is also seen many other areas of are lives.
    Learn for yourself . DO NOT BE DUPED !!!!!
  • Charles Barkley is the new spokesman for weight watchers. He was caught in one of those moments when he did not realize his microphone was still on. He was overheard saying that " WEIGHT WATCHERS IS A BIG SCAM ".
    There is so much advice and recommendations given from product manufacturers that is not valid. It is all designed with the goal of making money. This is especially seen with over the counter meds, prescriptions, and dietary advice. It is also seen many other areas of are lives.

yeah, I would say you're better off doing your own research and reading.

A basic thing you can do is not go down any of those "middle aisles" at the grocery store.. or very few at least. Pretty much everything you need is on the outside... the fresh unprocessed foods. Last night I went grocery shopping and I got a pound of spinach, 3 pounds of chicken, a pound of turkey, several types of fruit, and two boxes of quinoa. There were several smaller items, too, but that's basically what I eat. You don't need to pay Weight Watchers a bunch of money for pre-packaged food.

that, and work out a lot :D

I recommend a goal to work towards at least twice per year. this spring I'm doing a Tough Mudder and next fall I"m doing a marathon. you MUST train to complete these... so that keeps me in line since I've already shelled out over $200 to sign up for these.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Yes ,you are right about how to navigate through the super market. It is best to go in with a plan /list to avoid endless temptations. I eat quinoa also. It is a very nutrient rich grain. I am fortunate to live in Vermont with an abundance of fresh local food. Working out combined with a healthy diet will definitely help with your daily activities.
    Charles Barkley is the new spokesman for weight watchers. He was caught in one of those moments when he did not realize his microphone was still on. He was overheard saying that " WEIGHT WATCHERS IS A BIG SCAM ".

yeah, I would say you're better off doing your own research and reading.

A basic thing you can do is not go down any of those "middle aisles" at the grocery store.. or very few at least. Pretty much everything you need is on the outside... the fresh unprocessed foods. Last night I went grocery shopping and I got a pound of spinach, 3 pounds of chicken, a pound of turkey, several types of fruit, and two boxes of quinoa. There were several smaller items, too, but that's basically what I eat. You don't need to pay Weight Watchers a bunch of money for pre-packaged food.

that, and work out a lot :D

I recommend a goal to work towards at least twice per year. this spring I'm doing a Tough Mudder and next fall I"m doing a marathon. you MUST train to complete these... so that keeps me in line since I've already shelled out over $200 to sign up for these.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Charles Barkley is the new spokesman for weight watchers. He was caught in one of those moments when he did not realize his microphone was still on. He was overheard saying that " WEIGHT WATCHERS IS A BIG SCAM ".
    I hope no one takes Charles Barkley's advice either way. He's brand new to the program - what the hell does he know. WW is a great program. Some people need that extra guidance and push to succeed in weight loss. WW is not a diet. They teach you how to eat healthier - how to be healthy for life with real food. I attended meetings for about a year before just doing it on my own. I still follow the program and weigh in at home weekly and have kept the weight off.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    youngster wrote:
    My wife has about 20 boxes of Special K in the basement so I won't have to buy any cereal for this.

:lol::lol:

OP~ I've never done WW but my aunt lost 30 lbs on it and said it was easy to do. Good luck to you and your husband, and great job on your own over the summer! . :)
  • There is a myriad of health problems associated with being overweight.These problems have been documented by the AMA. Knowing this, I would think there would be enough intrinsic motivation for people change their lifestyle. The info on how to adopt a healthy lifestyle has been available for many years. Why would one want to pay a business fees for this info. WW princples do not even promote an optimum nutrtional state.
    I can see how some people might enjoy the social aspects of WW meetings. However, this obesity epidemic would not exist if people had some personal responsibilty and would eat to live , not live to eat.
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    WW princples do not even promote an optimum nutrtional state.

I completely agree with you.

I think people need to do what they think is best for them in keeping their bodies in shape, but even when we're thin, typically humans do not get the nutrition we need to live long, healthy, optimal lives. Esp. on WW when you're eating these faux desserts, faux white breads or I can go to McDonalds and get a hamburger for 6 points. I'm not saying everyone does this.

We need to be eating more whole, plant based foods. Vegetables, legumes, nuts, grains, etc. Along with daily vitamins. No matter what diet, humans will lack in certain nutrients i.e. Vitamin D3.

Yes, we need to keep our calories and bad fats down, but there NEEDS to be a focus placed on nutrition vs. just losing the weight. If you are eating the correct foods, there would be no need to count points.

Regardless, people can do whatever they want and whatever works for them. People need to come to their own conclusions. But it's important to read and know about nutrition and your body before making any decisions....our present mind and body is the only one we have! And fortunately, many physical health issues that Americans face today (hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease) are all reversible!
  • Suave.27 wrote:
    WW princples do not even promote an optimum nutrtional state.

I completely agree with you.

I think people need to do what they think is best for them in keeping their bodies in shape, but even when we're thin, typically humans do not get the nutrition we need to live long, healthy, optimal lives. Esp. on WW when you're eating these faux desserts, faux white breads or I can go to McDonalds and get a hamburger for 6 points. I'm not saying everyone does this.

We need to be eating more whole, plant based foods. Vegetables, legumes, nuts, grains, etc. Along with daily vitamins. No matter what diet, humans will lack in certain nutrients i.e. Vitamin D3.

Yes, we need to keep our calories and bad fats down, but there NEEDS to be a focus placed on nutrition vs. just losing the weight. If you are eating the correct foods, there would be no need to count points.

Regardless, people can do whatever they want and whatever works for them. People need to come to their own conclusions. But it's important to read and know about nutrition and your body before making any decisions....our present mind and body is the only one we have! And fortunately, many physical health issues that Americans face today (hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease) are all reversible!
    Well said. Thanks for shedding some light on why it is good to eat nutrient dense foods as opposed to empty calories
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    edited January 2012
    I was heavy at one time. I'm in great shape now. The key has nothing to do with a scheduled diet. I eat whatever I want when I want. The key is to exercise on an empty stomach when you get up in the morning for about an hour. High intensity circuits (i.e. using your own body weight - push-ups, jumping jacks, up downs, squats, pull ups & definitely an ab exercise, etc. - choose 5 exercises & do them consecutively for 20 to 30 seconds each, rest 45 seconds to a minute, and repeat 5 to 8 times). In this way, you're using stored fat for energy. Also, this ignites your metabolism beyond belief & that metabolism because of the sudden burst you've given it, will stay metabolizing all day. Note: In regards to food, it's all about portions. You'll notice after a week or so that it will take less food to fill you up and what is really shocking is that you're less hungry too. Make sure to warm up for 5 minutes before your circuit i.e. jog on the spot, skip. Make sure to eat right away after your morning circuit. A recovery drink like whey protein power with amino acids is recommended too. But buy a recovery drink that contains no fillers or gmo's etc. Chemical free.
    Try this for a month every second day to begin with and then after the first week, do 4 days on, two off, and so on. The results will blow you away.

You can find circuits on youtube.

With this, you don't have to pay anyone. It's free. :D The bonus with this too is that you put on lean muscle and not the muscle that makes you look like a freak lol You have to replace fat with muscle to lose fat i.e. the stomach, love handles will never go unless you replace that area with muscle.

Another helpful tool is to look up negative calorie foods, and implement them into your meals. These are not empty calorie foods. There's a difference. With negative calorie foods your body uses more calories than the food contains while it is digesting that particular food.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I love when people say "oh Weight Watchers is crap because it didn't work for me".

You're seriously blaming the EATING PROGRAM? Fuck off. Blame YOU.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I love when people say "oh Weight Watchers is crap because it didn't work for me".

You're seriously blaming the EATING PROGRAM? Fuck off. Blame YOU.

yep
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I was drinking HEAVILY in 2008-09 and put on HEAPS of weight. I lost 15kgs (33lbs) between 2009 and 2010. I was FAT! :lol:

It's easy. Eat lots of vegetables/fruit, lean meat and not too many carbs....and exercise. It's really THAT simple.

Enough information is on the internet for people to not need to pay for diets/eating programs.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Really, if one of you joins for a month, you will get all the information that you need. Thats why they charge you a sign up fee if you do month to month. If you do the three month sign up, you will get all kinds of ideas and some great motivation. I think it all comes out to about the same.

I liked weight watchers, it really teaches you about planning your meals and portion control. The trick is to find out how many "points" it is that you can eat every day. I have it somewhere. if you pm me I'll find the formula for you. I also went online and was able to download a free point value for foods, but I don't know how accurate it was. There is a way to figure out how much every thing you eat is worth. There is a formula for that too, how many calories, how much fat and fiber if I recall. I bought the weight watchers food calculator for that. It was worth every penny.

So all in all....if you want to learn the new point system, you can figure it out in a month and it won't cost a fortune, if you want me to dig up how to arrive at how many points your allowed a day I can do that....but it's the system from a few years ago.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!