Options

Assistance from the "Poster Freaks"

ShortyShorty Ontario Posts: 1,160
edited January 2012 in Lost Dogs
Hey All - long time PJ Fan - just starting to get into collecting/trading memorabilia - mostly posters - I just love the artwork. I only have posters from the shows I've attended - and - I do have a PJ20 Billboard Poster (thanks to a friend I met on here who shall remain unnamed). I have learned about values, expresso beans, variants, signed, signed and doodled, buying from the artists websites, ect, ect, ect, all from reading the posts on here - unquestionably invaluable info. What I am looking for now - is to "hook-up" if you will - with someone on here - someone well versed - a Poster Freak if you will (sorry if it's considered a derogatory term - I mean no harm - I would like to consider myself one someday) to ask questions, bounce ideas of trades, ect ect ect. If you feel you'd be willing to answer the occasional question every now and then - send me a PM. Much appreciated.
Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
07/16/2013: London, ON
10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,085
    I think you're on the right track with most of the resources you've already sought out. If you have any questions, I'd certainly be willing to help out; either PM or posting them on here for a consensus is cool. Good luck and try not to work yourself into a frenzy!
  • Options
    Thanks PJ. I've read about the frenzy - and - am trying to control it (I really do feel it - lol) - my wife will ensure I don't go overboard - I'm lucky that way (I guess....lol).

I did initially wrestle with buying posters from events/shows I didn't attend - but - decided I would - especially after getting the billboart print.

I wouldn't call it my holy grail - don't know enough yet to declaire it as such - but I do eventually want the Emek Edmonton - just love it.

Here are some questions - open to debate and discussion. All opinions valued of course.

-Besides some promotional stuff - what are some of the bigger (dimensions) posters available? Or are the all relatively small (18" x 24" - or - 12" x 36"). I guess I can say - the reason is - I have one big empty wall in my enterance - I'd like one big poster to put there.

-I think I've read there are 2 other posters that were pulled by the band for whatever reason outside the of the "Blackie" poster. What are they? Any word/story behind why "Blackie" or these other 2 were pulled by the band?

-Besides the Kozik 1992 Soundgarden/Pearl Jam poster - are there any others considered rare or extremely valuable - or - hard gets?

-Tough question because it's based on personal opinion - but - are the a handfull of PJ Concert Posters that everyone loves - wants to have - for whatever reason? Not necisarily because they're expensive - just because over the years - and throughout the forums - people mention these posters specifically as ones they love?

-I've seen the "Who owns which S/N Benny Thread" - do these exists for any of the SN posters as well? If so - I didn't find one/any.

Any help appreciated TC'ers.

• Options
    ChicagoneChicagone Posts: 184
    Hey, good luck with your new addiction, ha! Off the top of my head I'd say 93 Kozik High Bear with Neil Young is like 2'x3' and the 96 Emek Charlotte is 20"x30". Both very rare and hard to come by these days. I would say either of those should fill up your wall space and those are real "holy grails" unlike the infamous billboard print, ha! If you really want something bad ass for that spot, get the 08 Emek End of the Trail, it is GID and also 3'x4', that thing is freaking huge and bad ass! Gotta run, if you ever need any info, you can drop me a line anytime.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,085
    Most posters are in the range you're talking. The Klausen PJ20 is probably the biggest I've come across in a while; something like a 20" x 36" landscape.

You mentioned a few of the more valuable posters. Certainly some of the ones that got pulled like the EMEK Santa Barbara and those 2000 posters. (Can't remember the story, but I think it might be in the Pearl Jam vs. Ames Bros book. I know I read it somewhere.) Some of the '96s and most of the '98s command a bunch. There were a couple EV solo posters that he helped design and that feature his signature. Klausen Easy Street, Yield Virgin Megastore promo. The Klausen DC reaper and Dusseldorf prints are a notch below, but fairly well regarded around here. There's always a mad scramble for new stuff and you'll generally see demand peak pretty early with many overpaying on the secondary market (e.g., that billboard print).

Lastly, I don't recall seeing any S/N compilation threads for a particular poster like there is with the Benaroya Hall vinyl. If there's one you're particularly interested in, start a thread and see if it catches on. Helps pass the time when there isn't a bunch else happening.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    -Besides some promotional stuff - what are some of the bigger (dimensions) posters available? Or are the all relatively small (18" x 24" - or - 12" x 36"). I guess I can say - the reason is - I have one big empty wall in my enterance - I'd like one big poster to put there.
    klausen's LA 06 and Atlantic city are pretty big... his PJ20 print is very longggggg

i'd say you won't fine many bigger than that

-I think I've read there are 2 other posters that were pulled by the band for whatever reason outside the of the "Blackie" poster. What are they? Any word/story behind why "Blackie" or these other 2 were pulled by the band?
    i know that the klausen south america tour print WAS pulled but then unpulled...

not sure about the others off the top of my head...

i think posters are typically pulled due to someone (band member?) not agreeing with the art

-Besides the Kozik 1992 Soundgarden/Pearl Jam poster - are there any others considered rare or extremely valuable - or - hard gets?

-Tough question because it's based on personal opinion - but - are the a handfull of PJ Concert Posters that everyone loves - wants to have - for whatever reason? Not necisarily because they're expensive - just because over the years - and throughout the forums - people mention these posters specifically as ones they love?
    let me answer these together

to make a short list
    emek charlotte north carolina
    emek santa barbara 06
    klausen easy street
    currently the PJ20 billboard print - but that one is a recent one and could possibly drop in value

but - there are many rare ones... since back in the 90s people bought $10-$15 posters and thumbtacked them up ... enjoying them... very few "collected/preserved"... but we all went to the shows so now we look back and kick ourselves... i was lucky enough to score a 1998 mansfield print due to the kindness of someone on this board...

if you ask someone their holy grail... usually it's a 96 or 98 or earlier print that's impossible to find outside of the random appearance on ebay for $500, $800 and up.

why prints are popular is a mixed bag... some get popular for their image... some get popular because they're seen as popular or rare...

i'd say the most popular ones have to be the emeks i've mentioned above... seems most of his stuff gets hyped

klausen also has a handful - easy street is one, the DC reaper print is loved by many, dusseldorf, showbox

ames has a good number of the 96 and 98s that are wanted - mansfield, dallas, st louis,

-I've seen the "Who owns which S/N Benny Thread" - do these exists for any of the SN posters as well? If so - I didn't find one/any.

never seen this... sometimes people will post on ebeans what number they have... but typically they don't because no one wants to be called a flipper but 87% of the people in the poster game would sell their mom if she was signed and numbered by emek
    Any help appreciated TC'ers.
    don't worry about what's popular and collect what grabs you

and if it's something popular and rare... well... be ready to lie to the wife that you didn't drop $800 on ebay on a rock concert poster ;)

best of luck... to you and your wife ;)
  • Options
    lastchild11lastchild11 Posts: 1,283
    expressobeans has this one as 31 X 37. it is one of my favorites and i am still in search of it.

22215:57266.jpg
    Dallas TX 10/17/00
    Oklahoma City 4/3/03
    Dallas TX 6/9/03
    Memphis TN 6/20/09 (Eddie)
    Kansas City MO 4/3/10
    Little Rock AR 8/28/10 (Eddie, WM3 rally)
    St Louis MO 7/1/11 (Eddie)
    Dallas TX 11/15/12 (Eddie)
    Tulsa OK 11/18/12 (Eddie)
    Tulsa OK 11/19/12 (Eddie)
    Dallas TX 11/15/13
    Oklahoma City 11/16/13
    Tulsa OK 10/8/14
    St Louis MO 9/18/22
    Oklahoma City 9/20/22
    Ft Worth TX 9/13/23
    Ft Worth TX 9/15/23

• Options
    Everyone - you rock. Thanks for the info - and great detail - much appreciated. To those the PMed me - I will reply tomorrow when I am at work and have more time - lol. Anyone else just finding this thread - feel free to post your thoughts and answers. I am often amazed by the willingness of (most - some are goofs - but there is a certain percentage of goofs in every populas) TCers to assist.

Peace to all, Cheers for an incredible 2012.

• Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    I've been collecting posters intentionally since 2000.

Probably the most rare Pearl Jam-related poster is Emek's NeilJam promo for Mirrorball. The real one, not the offset. Or there's the flying finger poster. Never seen one in person.

If you're looking for something large, cool, and PJ-related to hang in your home's entrance, consider Chavez's 1997 Rolling Stones/Pearl Jam poster. It's more fine are than nearly all PJ posters combined. It's had on the cheap via ebay these days (pay $50 or a bit more only). It reminds me of Ramone Santiago in some ways.

Or there's Kozik's Green Lady Redeux art print. All Lady, no gig copy. Very large. I mean VERY large. I had one years ago but with it not being eligible for framing and no way to store it, I sold it.

blackredyellow.com used to be your poster go-to. It's evolved into a tight-knit group of people who have largely outgrown the poster craze.

Just remember. Collect what you enjoy. Not what people say you should collect.
  • Options
    expressobeans has this one as 31 X 37. it is one of my favorites and i am still in search of it.

forgot about that one

there was another ccfa double print ... similar size ... nothing on ebeans tho
    5446:52631.jpg
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Just remember. Collect what you enjoy. Not what people say you should collect.

Definitely the best piece of advice anyone can give.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761

forgot about that one

there was another ccfa double print ... similar size ... nothing on ebeans tho
    5446:52631.jpg
    These both are 2 prints in an "Uncut" run. that's why they are so big. If you can find them uncut, then yeah, these would fill some space. I remember the Klausen AC bing pretty huge. At the time, it was the only print I sound fit in my portfolio case. too big.

If you want to take up some space on a wall, sometimes framing a print with something else in the frame (set list of same show) will beef it up. they look really nice too.
  • Options

I think the Ames 2000 Scandinavia (Stockholm/Oslo/Roskilde) was pulled due to the Roskilde accident.
    I know it was sold in Stockholm (saw it in merch stand but never bought it :( ) and certainly in Oslo as well. I don't think it was for sale at Roskilde...

post_copenhagen00.gif

BTW, I want this poster.... Relly bad...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    I have the Stockholm '00 print. Yes, it was pulled due to what happened in Roskilde. And yes, it's an amazing poster, with olive metallic inks. Worth evey penny it takes to track one down.
  • Options
    I'll say it again - thanks all for the assistance - so much good information - and yes - keep it coming - very appreciative. And yes - I changed my user name and picture for those who are/were curious.

Cheers

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    a huge print would be the Honolulu 06 too...U2/PJ print....its massive.
  • Options
    I have the Stockholm '00 print. Yes, it was pulled due to what happened in Roskilde. And yes, it's an amazing poster, with olive metallic inks. Worth evey penny it takes to track one down.

Well, if you ever need to get rid of it, I'm your man...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    SO7522SO7522 Posts: 94
    1996 DC poster was also pulled for sale based on the band's request.
  • Options
    96 DC? I can't find that one on EBeans.....?

• Options
    JMoJMo Posts: 1,071
    Shorty wrote:

It's under 96 AMES MERRIWEATHER or 96 AMES COLUMBIA.

It's a well endowed mer-woman.
  • Options
    Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    what is the difference in value of a kozik 1st print and a 2nd print. i know 450 were run in the first print in 91 and 2500 in the 2nd print in 92, but what is the difference in value?
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    JMo wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

It's under 96 AMES MERRIWEATHER or 96 AMES COLUMBIA.

It's a well endowed mer-woman.

oh yes now I know the one

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    whatever you need we all are willing to help, just ask in a post and it'll get answered.

The 95 Ames Snakecharmer ugly ass tour posters are big ones, the South American one was real big too. Sizes usually range in dimensions between 14-40 inches, certain artists tend to stick to odd sizes like Aaron Horkey, Klausen mixes it up a lot as does Emek. Avg would be 18 X 24 range or smaller by a few inches.

As said before get stuff you like screw the critics. Don't get hung up falling in love and then really overpaying like many did on the pj20 Billboard print. Prices almost always come down after the initial wave of I want I want. Sometimes they don't so you really need to weigh need versus resources/price.

If you go to a show and they let you get 2 do it, you never know when you may want to do a trade, and you need stuff to trade to make a trade! Some shows limit to one, others buy as many as you want.

Get familiar with artists you like web pages as they have mailing list that can give you an early lead on getting knowledge of a sale. There are a few poster blogs that announce upcoming stuff as well. Totally missed the PJ20 BB prehype.... and sale announcement. My bad no I am suffering. most sites you just go to and add your name to the mailing lists. Some have scratch dent sales, and it is a great way to get grewt stuff with a blemish or two,

expressobeans.com is a great site for all bands/posters, has sale figures/avgs. print runs etc.
    When you look at a print, look up at the top right corner of the listing, many posters have a pulldown that shows variants of it, Artists proofs, or signed editions.

look around the net for other sites, other artists, there are so many amazing artists you never even heard of, that don't do PJ.

Invest in one of the poster portfolios, keeps the prints happy and safe.

Don't frame it if you don;t want to look at it, it is too expensive to frame for the sake of framing. Also understand, some shitty places may permanently mount your print in the frame, so check if the print will be harmed and accessible to take out of you ever want to do that. Once that fucker is dry mounted it is worthless unless you can find someone who wants a mounted version.
    Good luck and ask away

Always ask the seller about condition, storage means(flat or rolled) and if it has been around smoke, as cigarette smoke odor does not come out of the print very well. A print that been sitting rolled for several years may get a permanent warp to it.

enjoy and oh yeah ninersfan is a villain around here
  • Options
    ninersfan - there's a name I haven't heard in some time.
  • Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    Obi-Wan - now there's a name I haven't heard in some time.
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    that youtube video of the guy calling ninersfan out was one of the best ever
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    collect what you like ....DONT FOLLOW THE CROWDS .. (unless your buying something to use for trade bait) :D

CHECK YOUR PM
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Some have scratch dent sales, and it is a great way to get grewt stuff with a blemish or two

Check out S&D on here. I bought the Soto Arras one last month and when it arrived there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Its in great condition. And a great poster as well!
    joe2468 wrote:
    collect what you like ....DONT FOLLOW THE CROWDS .. (

Just buy what you like. That's what I've done. Started 2011 with no posters, ended 2011 with 11 posters that I really like, 7 framed and 4 in a portfolio. I have no idea if the ones I've got our worth something or nothing but I don't want to know either - I've bought them for me, not for trade-bait or in the hope that the value of a poster will soar and I can make a quick buck!

• Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Some have scratch dent sales, and it is a great way to get grewt stuff with a blemish or two

Check out S&D on here. I bought the Soto Arras one last month and when it arrived there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Its in great condition. And a great poster as well!

part of me feels like some S&D sales are really just clearance sales of unpopular prints
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    hrd2imgn wrote:

part of me feels like some S&D sales are really just clearance sales of unpopular prints

I think you might be right! In this instance I was happy with the Arras one being in S&D but some others I wouldn't buy!

• Options
    Hi... sorry just jumping on this tread... can anyone recommend a good portfolio maker/Type or does it really mater??

Cheers