So close...

2»

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    go west young man

that's a quote from a movie, "One Week" great movie.

I have always believed people 'belong' in certain cities. Kinda like they were destined to be there.

Back in 97 I moved to Cali, a BF at the time begged me to move there to be with him. I moved to get the experience, the whole "you don't know till you try". I didn't know anybody, didn't have a job, no car. I made it 8 months. I was miserable, couldn't make friends, couldn't find a job for 6 months. So, I moved home. Never been happier....until I moved to my current residence.

Right now, I live somewhere where I don't feel like I belong...I feel like I need to be closer to where I feel 'home' is. There is an 'unsettled' feeling I have...it's weird. Maybe that's what you feel too. Thanks to the housing market, I am stuck until I know we can sell the house for profit (or a down payment for a new house).

Anyway, I love this map...click on any county on the map, and it will show where most people have moved from/to in that area...in saying that, and looking at the map, DON"T MOVE TO SEATTLE! :lol: (many of you easties don't move very far do you?)

http://www.forbes.com/special-report/20 ... ation.html
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I got out of my hometown and moved to the city. It was scary, but I'll never regret it. If you don't like where you're living and want to get out of there, then do it.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I moved from Edinburgh city,Scotland,to very rural B.C Canada to be with my partner,through time it never worked out and I returned to Edinburgh,but couldn't stand city life after the utter peace and natural beauty of B.C,I moved out of the city back to the tiny coastal village I grew up in but left in my late teens.All these moves were the best I ever made in my life,and brought me to where I need to be right now.

I'd say move,it will be an adventure and I learned if it doesn't work out there is always opportunity to return,but if I had never did it I wouldn't have know.

Don't have any regrets about moving across the world and I would encourage others not to either,just take a deep breath and move
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    DS1119 wrote:
    I'm giving myself until the beginning of the new year and if my feelings don't change I will be packing up and leaving Smalban...for where...not quite sure yet. All i know is I'm fucking sick of this place. I've only made a major move once in my life and that was with a significant other. Has anyone here ever done anything like this? Done it alone? If so any advice? Thanks.

If you feel the need to move and "start" over, then go for it !!!!

Its best to give it a try, you can always move back. Also, what do you do for a living ??. Does your new location offer you job opportunities ??

Are you moving away from your entire family ?? would you miss them ??

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.... :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    Looks like the moving gods are watching over you Dave: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/6-best-ci ... -2012.html
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Was I the only one who thought he would write "...no matter how far" ?
    Btw, good luck DS1119, I am hoping that your move brings happiness for you !
    Rio de Janeiro, Praça da Apoteose, 2011
    Atlanta, Music Midtown, 2012
    São Paulo, Lollapalooza, 2013
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    edited December 2011
    Post deleted. Never mind....
    Post edited by PKTrekGirl on
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mikalina wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    I'm giving myself until the beginning of the new year and if my feelings don't change I will be packing up and leaving Smalban...for where...not quite sure yet. All i know is I'm fucking sick of this place. I've only made a major move once in my life and that was with a significant other. Has anyone here ever done anything like this? Done it alone? If so any advice? Thanks.

Its best to give it a try, you can always move back. Also, what do you do for a living ??. Does your new location offer you job opportunities ??

I manage at a luxury car dealership. I can always find work in this field wherever I move to. One of the benefits I guess of this career path. I have zero ties to that Albany area at all. I take that back. My best friend that I grew up wit actually lives here. Strange thing is we grew up about 80 miles away near Utica and both just ended up here. What sucks is I know it's my attitude. Not everyone here sucks, that's impossible. It's just everyday I wake up and it's just a drag.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Looks like the moving gods are watching over you Dave: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/6-best-ci ... -2012.html

Interesting and thank you. Not sure those cities provide what I'm looking for, and I'm not sure what that is? :? Those cities to me just seem like "Albany West". :? :?
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    DS1119 wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I manage at a luxury car dealership. I can always find work in this field wherever I move to. One of the benefits I guess of this career path. I have zero ties to that Albany area at all. I take that back. My best friend that I grew up wit actually lives here. Strange thing is we grew up about 80 miles away near Utica and both just ended up here. What sucks is I know it's my attitude. Not everyone here sucks, that's impossible. It's just everyday I wake up and it's just a drag.
    Hmmm.. just remember man, "wherever you go, there you are"
    Make sure you are moving for all of the right reasons.. not saying that you are, but you cannot run from yourself.. But I have often wondered if a change of scenery might just bring about the attitude change I am looking for.. one can never know..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    edited December 2011
    Post deleted - never mind.

Good luck though! Wish you the best. :)
    Post edited by PKTrekGirl on
    DS1119 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Interesting and thank you. Not sure those cities provide what I'm looking for, and I'm not sure what that is? :? Those cities to me just seem like "Albany West". :? :?

oh, I posted the article because it was a new article on the Yahoo ticker, and you posted this thread, it was a weird coincidence...I wouldn't move to any of those cities (sorry Chicagoland people)

Anyway, if you want a change of scenery, then move. I know I will be so much more happier when I finally do. Maybe a change of coasts will be the fix you need.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    DS1119 wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

It sounds like you need a change, whether it's your job, your city, something. If it sucks to you, it sucks. I say find a place that sounds appealing to you, that gets you excited and do it! If it doesn't work out, you will have a greater appreciation for what you left behind and it will all still be there for you.

Luxury car dealership, eh? Wanna hook a sister up? :lol::lol:
    Suziemay wrote:

Sure. How many PJ posters do you have?? 8-)
    RKCNDY wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

oh, I posted the article because it was a new article on the Yahoo ticker, and you posted this thread, it was a weird coincidence...I wouldn't move to any of those cities (sorry Chicagoland people)

Anyway, if you want a change of scenery, then move. I know I will be so much more happier when I finally do. Maybe a change of coasts will be the fix you need.

Alright. Let's go. You and me swap coasts. I'll give Seatlle a shot and you can deal with Smalbany.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

Trade the PJ20 billboard for one of these?
    http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/ ... del-SLK350
    :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Suziemay wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

Might take a couple of more posters!! :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Might take a couple of more posters!! :lol:
    :roll: some people are so fussy.

:P :P
    DS1119 wrote:

Alright. Let's go. You and me swap coasts. I'll give Seatlle a shot and you can deal with Smalbany.

I refuse to move anywhere else but Seattle :lol: (I live in a po-dunk shit town north of Seattle right now)

- Christopher McCandless
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    If I had my way, I'd move to Montreal. What do you think about that city, aside from emmigrating DS?
    Jeanwah wrote:
    If I had my way, I'd move to Montreal. What do you think about that city, aside from emmigrating DS?

Montreal and I do not have a good hisrory plus I would not want to leave the US. :lol:
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    DS1119 wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Montreal and I do not have a good hisrory plus I would not want to leave the US. :lol:

Bummer. Sorry about your history there, it's a great city!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jeanwah wrote:

i heard they don't like US peeps
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg