So close...

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm giving myself until the beginning of the new year and if my feelings don't change I will be packing up and leaving Smalban...for where...not quite sure yet. All i know is I'm fucking sick of this place. I've only made a major move once in my life and that was with a significant other. Has anyone here ever done anything like this? Done it alone? If so any advice? Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    I have not done anything like this, but good luck if you go for it.

People in the midwest are nice :wave:

(Not if you ask 81, though...)
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Carey wrote:

Move to Wisconsin and try to pick up a kick ass accent like I have. :D
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Carey wrote:

:?: i'm midwest....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I moved to Ireland on my own years back for a while... that was a big move.
    Had a job lined up which helped but whilst challenging it was also really revitalising and made the world seem that much fresher. Of course I did end up moving back to Melbourne in the end, missed the Aussie culture too much
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    81 wrote:
    Carey wrote:

Yah, I know this, but you dissed Illinois in a previous thread so I thought for sure you could call me out on my claim...
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    i think we should buy up a big chunk of land someplace and start PJ city.

i'll be king....

but seriously, just picking up and moving can be difficult....gotta get that job first and job searching long distance is a challenge.

and then once you move, you really don't have much in the way of friends or a support group which, depending on your personality can be a challenge

gf and i basically did this back in 2006 when we left Toledo and moved to the Chicago area.

if you aren't happy were you are, then do it....you can always move back.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Carey wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Carey wrote:

Yah, I know this, but you dissed Illinois in a previous thread so I thought for sure you could call me out on my claim...

IL should be cut from the midwest. :lol:

back to back governors in prison...way to go IL. :roll:

there are alot of good people here, but also alot of mememememe douch bags.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I am actually looking alot at the Midwest. Like the vibe the few times I have been there and it puts me 2-3 hours by plane from pretty much anywhere in the country. I really wanted to move to Phoenix but there are certain reasons I can't. Las Vegas was on my radar but I think I would end up dead. Shoot, you guys see how late I stay up here with nothing to do...imagine sticking me in Vegas? My poker "hobby" would become a poker "issue". I've looked seriously at Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Columbus.

What's weird is I can't figure out if I'm looking for something...running from something...or a combination of those. Just don't know. :?
    81 wrote:

Sounds like the Ten Club. :D
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

me want a charger

baby-cry.jpg

:P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

me want a charger

baby-cry.jpg

:P

HEY!!!! I got that fucking thing!!! :lol:
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    I moved with my wife and 3 kids from the east coast to Colorado. We just had to get away from family. We moved up to 9,000 ft above sea level and to a small town of less than 500 people. I do not recommend doing that with a family. It was 30 miles to the nearest grocery store. It just was to much in isolation for the wife and kids.

So in the end the wife wanted some where flat and I wanted some where warm. We ended up in Surprise Arizona. This was the best move ever. The weather is great 8-9 months of the year. It is a fairly new city. Its like a slice of heaven on earth. Great views.

I would recommend calling the police station and ask about the crime in the city your thinking about moving to. Call the schools if you have kids. It dont hurt to call the local wal-mart or Best Buy in the city. Tell the customer service your thinking about moving out to that city. You would be surprised how much info you can get that way.

It dont hurt to go to the library and check out some books on the state your thinking about moving to.

Good luck.
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    It's ok to leave a place if you're "done". It will still be there, and you can always move back if you decide later on that it really was home.

I moved halfway across the world for college and never went home. I don't think I could do it now, but if I did, it would be to be closer to a strong support system.

Good luck with the decision, DS and hope you find what it is you are looking for :)
    dwhite76 wrote:
    I moved with my wife and 3 kids from the east coast to Colorado. We just had to get away from family. We moved up to 9,000 ft above sea level and to a small town of less than 500 people. I do not recommend doing that with a family. It was 30 miles to the nearest grocery store. It just was to much in isolation for the wife and kids.

So in the end the wife wanted some where flat and I wanted some where warm. We ended up in Surprise Arizona. This was the best move ever. The weather is great 8-9 months of the year. It is a fairly new city. Its like a slice of heaven on earth. Great views.

I would recommend calling the police station and ask about the crime in the city your thinking about moving to. Call the schools if you have kids. It dont hurt to call the local wal-mart or Best Buy in the city. Tell the customer service your thinking about moving out to that city. You would be surprised how much info you can get that way.

It dont hurt to go to the library and check out some books on the state your thinking about moving to.

Good luck.

I'd love to move out into a small town somewhere in Colorado like this, but unfortunately what I do for work I need people...lot's of people.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    DS1119 wrote:
    I've looked seriously at Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Columbus.

What's weird is I can't figure out if I'm looking for something...running from something...or a combination of those. Just don't know. :?
    I am going to say this and I don't mean it as an insult at all... but what could you possibly be looking for in those towns?.. It seems to me if you are looking for something in the midwest, you would move to Chicago.. I mean, all of those towns are great but if you have reached a point in your life where an earth shattering move is necessary, why end up in Columbus? I was born and raised in and near Detroit... I had the pleasure of visiting Chicago for the first time this summer for the EV shows (thanx Jen) and if I was going to up and move to anyplace that was within a stones throw of home it would be there.. lots to see, lots of folks to meet and a shit ton to do...

I will say as a sidenote.. If you are looking for something, and don't mind running from time to time, Detroit may very well be your town... I do love it here...
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    DS1119 wrote:
    I've looked seriously at Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Columbus.

I am going to say this and I don't mean it as an insult at all... but what could you possibly be looking for in those towns?.. It seems to me if you are looking for something in the midwest, you would move to Chicago.. I mean, all of those towns are great but if you have reached a point in your life where an earth shattering move is necessary, why end up in Columbus? I was born and raised in and near Detroit... I had the pleasure of visiting Chicago for the first time this summer for the EV shows (thanx Jen) and if I was going to up and move to anyplace that was within a stones throw of home it would be there.. lots to see, lots of folks to meet and a shit ton to do...

I will say as a sidenote.. If you are looking for something, and don't mind running from time to time, Detroit may very well be your town... I do love it here...

Not an insult at all. I just want to live somewhere with a little significance. Somewhere with a major sports franchise. SOmewhere with a consistent night life. Somewhere with live music...not just cover bands but real music acts trying to make it. I think back to a few weekends ago and the major thing on a Saturday night going on was a woman's roller derby bout. Nothing against that if that's your thing, but you know.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Moved out to Los Angeles while I was in college.

Came back 8 years later for good. It is different here, but not dull.

Live band central. Nice weather.

You can find hipster hell, suburban bliss, downtown livin', Venice beach driftin', and everything in between.

Plus PJ loves to surf and play music in this area.
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    i would take columbus over cincy. enough shit to do without the eight lanes of chicago traffic.P PJ usually comes through. detroit is a nice place if your driving through it (no offense intended)
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    klusterfuk wrote:
    i would take columbus over cincy. enough shit to do without the eight lanes of chicago traffic.P PJ usually comes through. detroit is a nice place if your driving through it (no offense intended)
    Detroit has the best music scene of any midwest city.. hands down.. argue if you must, but I will win this argument.. and Em or the Kid will never be mentioned (thank god).. DS spoke of a music scene, consistent night life, and major sports teams.. Detroit may very well be his town.. Just so long as he can learn to keep his head on a swivel and not mind a compromising situation or two.. My bet is that he may even learn to love it...
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    klusterfuk wrote:
    Detroit has the best music scene of any midwest city.. hands down.. argue if you must, but I will win this argument.. and Em or the Kid will never be mentioned (thank god).. DS spoke of a music scene, consistent night life, and major sports teams.. Detroit may very well be his town.. Just so long as he can learn to keep his head on a swivel and not mind a compromising situation or two.. My bet is that he may even learn to love it...

I watched a guy washing his dog's ass in a Macy's bathroom today...is there anything more compromising a situation than that?? :lol:
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Are you the person who had a fight with your gf and you were posting on here from the lobby?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • klusterfuk wrote:

Try Minneapolis... You can't beat that music scene right now.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    If you are unsure of where you want to possibly move to, check out:

www.findyourspot.com

I tried it a while ago, when I was thinking of moving. Unfortunately, circumstances have changed so I will be where I am for a while.
    ELITIST FUK
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I've done it and I would do it again if I had the chance. First thing is to have a plan. Doing it without a plan spells disaster. Scope the city out, get to know it, look for jobs, apts., etc. Is NYC too close for you or do you have no interest? It helps to be not too far from friends or family for support, so keep that in mind. I know what you mean about Albany...
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I've done it and I would do it again if I had the chance. First thing is to have a plan. Doing it without a plan spells disaster. Scope the city out, get to know it, look for jobs, apts., etc. Is NYC too close for you or do you have no interest? It helps to be not too far from friends or family for support, so keep that in mind. I know what you mean about Albany...

I've spent alot of time in NYC and that's not a place for me. Love visiting there...visiting being the key word.
  • Stop fighting it and just move to Florida like the rest of NY has done! ;)
    just kidding man..good luck wherever you go...
    Personally, I wish I had made a few moves that I was considering in the past. I was too scared to do it though. Just do it, and remember, like others have said, you can always come back if it doesnt work out.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    go west young man
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    11 years ago I was on a road trip on my way back to Olympia, WA. I stopped in SF to see some friends and never left. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I made it work. It was scary as shit, but I am so glad I stuck with it. If you are feeling you need a change, go for it. It will be hard, you will struggle, it can be lonely, but it will also be an amazing adventure- whatever happens. Nothing is forever, and there is no decision or choice you make that can't be changed. You can always go back to Albany or to anywhere else. Just be sure to keep it gangsta. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    go west young man

This is really good advice.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Chicago Chicago Chicago. Plenty of peeps here that you already 'know'!

My close girlfriend grew up in the burbs of St. Louis and moved here a few years ago knowing not a single person, she just wanted a change of scenery. She said it was hard at first, but she found a great job and met her now boyfriend and is close in our circle of friends. We've talked about it a few times, because she was 21 when she did it and it just seems scary to me. But she said looking back on it it's the best decision she's ever made. When she goes home to visit family, she runs into people who's lives have remained pretty stagnant and doesn't regret her choice at all.

Now I'm sure it's not for everyone, but you seem to be at the stage in your life where you can take that leap because later in life you might not have that option. I wish I had done something like that, but now I'm married and pretty much stuck where I'm at. I say you go for it and try it for a year. If it doesn't work out, you can always return home!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    SLC needs more people like you DS.

Seriously though, it's a pretty good place to live. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2