Guess What Crossed My Driveway...

g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
One of These this morning....

sn_ts_1001102_hdr.jpg

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/ ... ion_up.php

I was in a state of shock even way out here in West Palm Beach...We're up against the Everglades in a horse community and i've seen wild boars, pigs, deer, turtles, otters, python, chickens, falcons and all kinds of other wild birds but never a panther. :shock:

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• g under p wrote:

sn_ts_1001102_hdr.jpg

I was in a state of shock even way out here in West Palm Beach...We're up against the Everglades in a horse community and i've seen wild boars, pigs, deer, turtles, otters, python, chickens, falcons and all kinds of other wild birds but never a panther. :shock:

Peace
    :changes flight back to NJ:
    :shock:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • WOW! All I get is the random hedgehog and sparrows. But some experience for you none the less.
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    That is pretty amazing and pretty rare thing to witness!

I've hiked thousands of miles and only encounter them ... or should I say I've seen them, three times.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Swear to God, thought you were going to say "a chicken" and then have some joke attached...

That's one big kitty cat.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    that is awesome
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    Are you going to report the sighting?

I know it's important for neighbors with pets and children to know a bad-ass cat is lurking around, but it usually leads to guys in pick-up trucks with shotguns going on a safari. Maybe hold off on telling the authorities but letting neighbors know is the best solution.

But then again, you live in Florida .... this probably only ranks 3 out of 10 on the danger scale ... just behind the Florida A&M Marching Band and The U! :D
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    beautiful. I love big cats.

I did the Gentle Ben thing when I was down in the Everglades once, coolest thing EVER!

boat_1.jpg
  • Wow, thats awesome G...
    I've never seen one, but my uncle came across one on the golf course a few years back.
    Very cool that you got to witness that. :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 7RayZ7RayZ Posts: 488
    Its a cougar. :D We get bobcats and cougars here all the time. They are part of the natural ecosystem.

I have small pack coyotes in my back yard I feed.

Crossing paths with a Cougar Native American Style:
    Cougar medicine is the lesson of the use of power,
    how to be an effective, fair leader and not abuse power.

This totem’s gift is how to balance power, intention, strength and grace.
    It is the balance of body, mind and spirit.
    The first responsibility of leadership is truth.

Remember: Responsibility is no more than the ability to respond to any situation.
    Cougar can teach you how to bring out your power
    and fill your heart with it that will enable you to take charge of your life.
    You can use Cougar power to defend yourself or to attack.
  • THat's pretty awesome and scary at the same time. About a month ago there was a bobcat on the loose in a very residential area near downtown Jacksonville. Crazy
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Jason P wrote:
    Are you going to report the sighting?

I know it's important for neighbors with pets and children to know a bad-ass cat is lurking around, but it usually leads to guys in pick-up trucks with shotguns going on a safari. Maybe hold off on telling the authorities but letting neighbors know is the best solution.

But then again, you live in Florida .... this probably only ranks 3 out of 10 on the danger scale ... just behind the Florida A&M Marching Band and The U! :D

I told the surrounding neighbors, they've been here longer than we have, so as i made the turn into the driveway he/she just casually ran pass me then the shed into our Cypress hammock. He looked a teenager in panther years and a bit on the skinny side.

Oh, I forgot we see alligators everyday in the lake behind the house. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,708
    OMG! That is so cool. I'm jealous! I've always wanted to see a big wild cat. I've seen bobcat, bear, elk, moose, coyote, fox, antelope, pronghorn, big horn sheep, but never a big cat which is frustrating because there are many of them here in the Sierra foothills. Unfortunately, many of them get shot here because people fear them. I always tell people that we're the ones who are invading their turf. Live here- take your chances... but don't shoot the big cats!

Here's one for the big cats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_kk8mGqBj8
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    g under p wrote:

sn_ts_1001102_hdr.jpg

Peace
    No need to worry.....that's the Florida sub-species...far, far, far less aggressive towards Homo sapiens than his/her cousins west of the Mississippi.

Very cool, G under P....I suspect the state or the Feds have a way for you to report the sighting since this is an endangered species that is highly monitored.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    tybird wrote:
    g under p wrote:

sn_ts_1001102_hdr.jpg

Peace
    No need to worry.....that's the Florida sub-species...far, far, far less aggressive towards Homo sapiens than his/her cousins west of the Mississippi.

Very cool, G under P....I suspect the state or the Feds have a way for you to report the sighting since this is an endangered species that is highly monitored.

I told the gaurd gate and they said they would report it o the wildlife authorities. They come in and remove it to a wildlife refuge further out west. They did that for these black wild pigs. They were so cool to see just down the street BUT I also saw the damage they could do to a lawn. I mean uprooting an entire lawn, they came and trapped them all and took them to a refuge.

More and more of the animals I'm remembering we have foxes too. 8-)

Peace

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    You should leave out a bowl of milk tonight :mrgreen:
    g under p wrote:
    g under p wrote:

sn_ts_1001102_hdr.jpg

Peace

I told the gaurd gate and they said they would report it o the wildlife authorities. They come in and remove it to a wildlife refuge further out west. They did that for these black wild pigs. They were so cool to see just down the street BUT I also saw the damage they could do to a lawn. I mean uprooting an entire lawn, they came and trapped them all and took them to a refuge.

More and more of the animals I'm remembering we have foxes too. 8-)

Peace
    The wild pigs are considered invasive non-native species....pigs are hell are native plants and can decimate pockets of rare native plant species....in many areas, including national parks like the Great Smokey Mountains, efforts are made to exterminate the pigs
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    that is awesome
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    7RayZ wrote:
    Its a cougar. :D We get bobcats and cougars here all the time. They are part of the natural ecosystem.

Remember: Responsibility is no more than the ability to respond to any situation.
    +1. I love this post. I've never seen a cougar in the wild like the op, but I just saw a coyote the other night for the very first time. Thanks again for your post. :D
  • brianlux wrote:
    I always tell people that we're the ones who are invading their turf. Live here- take your chances...

Not many people realize this, good for you.
    EmBleve wrote:
    7RayZ wrote:

+1. I love this post. I've never seen a cougar in the wild like the op, but I just saw a coyote the other night for the very first time. Thanks again for your post. :D
    The coyotes have been moving eastward for decades filling the niche left unoccupied after we wiped the red wolves in the east....Alabama has had coyotes in large numbers since the 1980s....they moved into the Great Smokey Mountains within the last few years...so expect to see more of the buggers in the coming years.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I guess that was one of the rare endangered Florida panthers. I've always hoped to see one during visits to South Florida but have never been so lucky. My understanding is that the Florida panther is much smaller than the western Cougar. How big was he/she?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Awww

Incredible!!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    tybird wrote:

that's good to hear, ty...because out here if you see one of those the last thing i think of is "oh cute" or "awesome" like people are saying here...these fuckers are dangerous and with further urban expanse into their habitat the attacks on humans has risen out here in recent years
    I guess that was one of the rare endangered Florida panthers. I've always hoped to see one during visits to South Florida but have never been so lucky. My understanding is that the Florida panther is much smaller than the western Cougar. How big was he/she?
    The historical data I have suggests that Florida panthers are actually smaller the western cougars. For example, John Vanbiesbrouck was only 5'-8" and 170 lbs while Ryan Leaf was 6'-5" and 240 lbs. Of course, sizes and weights can vary across each species, but the trends favor my view.

8-)
    tybird wrote:
    The coyotes have been moving eastward for decades filling the niche left unoccupied after we wiped the red wolves in the east....Alabama has had coyotes in large numbers since the 1980s....they moved into the Great Smokey Mountains within the last few years...so expect to see more of the buggers in the coming years.
    wow. Interesting. I had been hearing stories that they were around, and then I saw one. It was beautiful. I watch my parents' dog a little closer when he's outside now though. :?
    brother123 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    I always tell people that we're the ones who are invading their turf. Live here- take your chances...

Not many people realize this, good for you.
    +1 million! Thank you for doing this, too. Soooo many people don't understand this, you're right.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Jason P wrote:
    The historical data I have suggests that Florida panthers are actually smaller the western cougars. For example, John Vanbiesbrouck was only 5'-8" and 170 lbs while Ryan Leaf was 6'-5" and 240 lbs. Of course, sizes and weights can vary across each species, but the trends favor my view.

8-)

:lol: I'm laughing even though I have no idea what sport you are talking about, and hopefully I am right that it is sport's humor.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    :lol: I'm laughing even though I have no idea what sport you are talking about, and hopefully I am right that it is sport's humor.
    correctamundo!
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Wow!! That is amazing! What a thing to see. :D
    7RayZ wrote:

This is awesome. Thank you for this. :D
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    g under p wrote:

sn_ts_1001102_hdr.jpg

Peace

wow :shock: I never would of guessed a panther in your area. My cousin lives in West Palm Beach area - a
    very nice place.

That beautiful panther seems to fit right in ... ;)
    ********************************************************************************************* image