Options

Those who saw shows in 2006 AND 2007....

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited July 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Does anyone have a favourite set of shows?

I saw 6 in '06, and 4 in 2007. The latest tour has only just ended so it's easy to say this one was best, but over the course of the four shows i think i just had an all round better experience. Every single show was phenomenal, the time i spent in the cities was wonderful, and the people i met were great.

I never thought i'd see a better show than Lisbon II last year, but now i have Dusseldorf and Nijmegen at the top of the list.

What do you guys think?
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    I dont know. I loved both tours.
    This one was just kinda weird for me. I mean, I loved the shows, and the people, it just started odd and was really crazy this time. all the mileage we had to pass, all the lost ID's, ppl and problems on the way kinda made this tour a little to crazy and tiring for me presonally, but I guess it comes with the package, afterall, it WAS quite and adventure.
    My opinion is that, dont get me wrong, this tour happened a little to quick after 2006. and lots of ppl couldnt plan it or go to as many shows. of course, you could probabyl go if you didnt do lots of them last year, but i know some ppl couldnt just because they spent so much money last Sept. anyways, ill stop my blabbing now...Im really happy how it all went at the end, cause Ive met so many wonderful people, seen so many great shows, had my PJ moments, and definitely got more than I lost, so 2006 AND 2007 were both awesome years and definitely a great time to be a crazy, hardcore, die-hard PJ fan! :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Don't know about better.

I enjoyed 2007 more, but that would not have been without the experience of 2006.
    there were great shows in both tour, Zagreb and Dusseldorf being personal highlights.

But what made 2007 extra special was the people, and most of them I had met in 2006, or they were firends of friends of 2006.

so I don't agree with Sid (Cropdustress, who I'd met only 1 show in 2006, Zagreb, and talked to on the net all in between and am so glad I got to see a LOT more this tour :)..love you, will be descending on Croatia as soon as I can to see you and Nico :D), I'm really glad they came back so soon!

that alllowed us to keep in touch and reinforce those links..though the finances on the other hand suffered :eek:

objectively, there was great shows in both tour...the ratio was higher in 2007 though I think ;)....shame we don't get the boots for those :(
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    One I did at home in Australia, hosting people from overseas, and all in reserved seating. Great shows in Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 2

The other I did on my first trip to Europe, in strange countries where I was the one being led around by locals. All in GA. Great shows in Dusseldorf, Copenhagen and Nijmegen.

Much harder to end the 2nd one, cos of the distance and that it was me leaving everyone behind.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Hehe, Sandra :)
    I liked both tours, this one was a little better maybe cause of the many friends yes, old and new. And I too am glad we hung out more this time :)

Croatia is waiting, you honorary Croat. Now that Im not going to US for the summer...im home and waiting for anyone who wants to visit.

PS Zagreb...ah, your personal hightlight :)
  • Options
    SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Setlists in 2007 were amazing. But the sound 2006 was way better. Pretty even though but the sound was so amazing in 2006.
  • Options
    Sandra, I didnt say I wanst glad they came back so soon. :D
    Im glad they did, it was just so sudden, thats all. Im happy they did, but its a fact that this tour (show wise and venues) was a lot different from last years ;)
    thats all. I dont mind having them over at all :)
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Hehe, Sandra :)
    I liked both tours, this one was a little better maybe cause of the many friends yes, old and new. And I too am glad we hung out more this time :)

Croatia is waiting, you honorary Croat. Now that Im not going to US for the summer...im home and waiting for anyone who wants to visit.

PS Zagreb...ah, your personal hightlight :)
    you didn't get your visa? :( idiots!!
    well, we'll be watching the lolla setlist unfold together on the net then..
    you're welcome anytime in London anyway...Sonic Youth and Cornell playing end August/beginning of September for example..
    and Oktoberfest in september ;)
  • Options
    NickrandNickrand Posts: 140
    I thought the Berlin show stood out in '06. Duesseldorf and London were the best of '07.

I felt the '07 tour was a little more emotional for the band. Examples were the floor in London full of 10C, Copenhagen, and the crowd reaction in Duesseldorf.
    '00 Detroit; '03 Detroit I MSG II Boston III; '04 Toledo Grand Rapids; '05 Thunder Bay Kitchener London; '06 Arnhem Barcelona Marseille Prague Berlin; '07 Chorzow London Duesseldorf Copenhagen Nijmegen Lollapalooza; '08 EV LA II EV SD I DC MSG I/II EV Montreal I/II EV Toronto I/II EV Chicago I/II; '09 EV Memphis EV Atlanta I/II Berlin Manchester London Sydney Brisbane Auckland Christchurch; '10 Noblesville Cleveland Dublin Belfast Berlin; '11 EV Detroit EV St. Louis EV Minneapolis PJ20 I/II Winnipeg '12 Berlin I/II Stockholm Oslo '13 London Dallas '14 Berlin Stockholm Oslo Detroit
  • Options
    negationistnegationist Posts: 237
    that 2006 tour will be remembered as the first time Pearl Jam got to see me live!!! But seriously, that's probably why i think 2006 was way better. Was in uni back then n could take as much time off (within reason) to see my fav band play. Made 4 shows in total for that tour, i know it's not much but it's still better than this time round. Now with a job n bills to pay, only managed to make the london show. Still, brilliant show! Dublin will forever be etched in my memory.

Highlights for 2006 tour, Marseille. Amazing, felt so intimate, loved the setlist and got to see a real human side to the band. Liked the way they fucked up on some songs n joked about it to the crowd. Will remember that always.
    If Pearl Jam was a beer, they'd probably be the best beer in the world!!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Hard to choose... I saw them 5 times in 2006 and one in 2007.

I would put Grand Rapids and Cleveland (great setlists, great company) at the same level as Verona and Milan. I've never heard anything sound as good as the songs in the Arena, and the show in Milan was extra special cause that's my hometown and the crowd really made me proud (Daughter, Black... unbelievable). I'd put Cincy just below those four, but then again... it was my first Leash and it was fantastic :)

Wembley 07 was surreal. I never thought I could be as mesmerised by a setlist after 7 shows, but I was. The sound was fantastic for me, the boys were in a great mood, and Immortality was unforgettable.

So... can't pick :o
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    cant pick either...Dublin will also be forever etched in my memory...[Listnening to it as i type this :) ] and Berlin was just an incredible venue & crowd & city

without the 2006 experience i mite not have done the four shows i could afford (or kind of afford) this year...amazing cities like the others said.

3 indoor shows that i will never EVER forget (Dublin, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen), the party that was a weekend in Berlin, and two incredible festivals that were topped by Pearl Jam shows...with the new experience of being in a crowd that werent familiar with the band at the start but had fallen in love with them by the end...

the six PJ shows (non-festivals) in 2007 were great...but who can forget Dublin, Reading, Arnhem, Lisbon, Milan, Pistoia, Prague, Berlin, Zagreb of 2006

hopefully we get a tour next year to make our decisions more difficult....COME BACK - EUROPE AND PEARL JAM BELONG TOGETHER! TOGETHER! etc etc :)
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I only saw 2 shows last yr, both in sydney, i've seen pj 4 times in total, and plenty of other bands, but sydney 3 was by far the best concert i have ever been 2. I would recomend that to anyone.

It was also good because i was with a friend who isn't a big fan of rock music, he likes rap (poof) but the only pj songs he knows r pj's hits, (last kiss, better man, daughter, even flow etc) and they played more hits, plus other songs like soon forget was jst awsome, plus they tagged daughter with midnight oil, beds r burning and then they covered split enz with i got you. So my Mate really enjoyed the concert aswell, however he isnt a total convert.

And any show that ends with both RITFW and ledbetter has got to be a goodie right? You just think its the last song. the lights r on, Eddie thanks you then BAM, Mike starts playing, it is a great moment.

Do yourself a favour and go and download it. Fuck this is a long post!!!!!!!!!!
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    2007 >>>>>>> 2006
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    2006 was fantastic. 6 years in the waiting, then Dublin, Leeds & Arnhem in the space of 6 days.

London 07 was incredible, amazing setlist. After the gig I said it was the best PJ gig i've been but I'd like to hear that set again on a bootleg
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    These replies are great, thanks guys!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Dirty FrankkDirty Frankk Posts: 4,274
    It's hard...
    2006 - Zagreb, just great set list
    Milan, best crowd ever (for me)
    2007 - Dusseldorf ( thanks to Sandra and RATS :) )
    London, all friends from Waxy O'connor's, just amazing

I think the 2007 was better than 2006, thank to all great people that I met.

Niko
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    NickrandNickrand Posts: 140
    I forgot to add that the first set in London was the best I've ever heard Pearl Jam play live.
    '00 Detroit; '03 Detroit I MSG II Boston III; '04 Toledo Grand Rapids; '05 Thunder Bay Kitchener London; '06 Arnhem Barcelona Marseille Prague Berlin; '07 Chorzow London Duesseldorf Copenhagen Nijmegen Lollapalooza; '08 EV LA II EV SD I DC MSG I/II EV Montreal I/II EV Toronto I/II EV Chicago I/II; '09 EV Memphis EV Atlanta I/II Berlin Manchester London Sydney Brisbane Auckland Christchurch; '10 Noblesville Cleveland Dublin Belfast Berlin; '11 EV Detroit EV St. Louis EV Minneapolis PJ20 I/II Winnipeg '12 Berlin I/II Stockholm Oslo '13 London Dallas '14 Berlin Stockholm Oslo Detroit
  • Options
    MirellaMirella Posts: 242
    Every single show has it's highlights. Biggest surprises to me were the two concerts in my own country, Arnhem (2006) and Nijmegen (2007) and the one in Düsseldorf. Amazing concerts, amazing crowds :). I loved all others, only The Werchter crowd was bad for me, and the Berlin circumstances, like arriving in time to find out that our hotel room was given away to someone else who hadn't even booked in advance, hurrying to another hotel faraway and missing the opening band because of the ridiculous queues. In Prague we had the worst hostel ever but the concert was great, again.

Anyway, since I'm not really typing structured here:
    2006, went to 13 concerts, all good, some great, good sound, not amazed by most setlists.
    2007, went to 4 concerts, most great, amazed by most setlists.
    Both had the surrounding bunch of nice and happy traveling fans, but I enjoyed that more in 2006 because we did not stay over anywhere in 2007. Both were exhausting but the 2007, with a week break in between, wore me out much more.

Conclusions: you can't go wrong with pearl Jam, next time I'll do more concerts again because that's better for my health ;)

groetjes,
    Mirella :)
    Bugs mailinglist site: http://www.igotbugs.net/wiki
  • Options
    killroykillroy Posts: 739
    Heh...it's so hard to compare 2006 and 2007 shows. It's actually impossible for me...i'd probably get a nervous breakdown :D

But I would like to say that Munich this year was personally the highlight for me. I had the best time and enjoyed it the most...I was almost in the front row, so close to the band and the crowd was so great, there was no crowd moshing or even pushing.
    But then again...London this year....and Zagreb last year...WOW!!!
    And the people....eh...happy times :)
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I think it's all just personal opinions... you could ask EVERYONE and they'd all have different answers :o

Last year:

Astoria: My first time seeing them live after 13/14 years of being obsessed... getting to the barrier in front of Mike and catching a pick. Just too special.

Dublin: Home show, getting to the barrier again, hearing some more songs for the first time. Hearing education for the first time EVER and hearing the boys are back in town for probably the ONLY time... opening with inside job, indifference and it's ok and black being highlights for me.

Verona: Having SEATS, I never thought I'd like a seated concert but it's great to just head into the venue 15 minutes before they come on stage and have your own personal spot to jump about in. The arena was such a special venue too and the rain and thunder earlier on added to the general atmosphere I felt.

This year:

Wembley: was marred slightly by the Portugese group robbing me of front row (probably more likely the fact that I queued on the wrong side) so got 2nd row Stones side... heard long road for my first time, faithful was a surprising highlight for me :) but all in all, I think it slips below Astoria and Dublin 06

Copenhagen: MY personal favourite of the 5 for obvious reasons. My birthday and catching the tambourine :) but also the throw your arms around me preset, opening with long road again, hearing in hiding and save it for later (kinda) for the first time and love reign for the first time ever... For ME, that one will be EXTREMELY tough to beat.

Lolla to come, but my expectations are low, which is probably a good thing.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    Copenhagen: MY personal favourite of the 5 for obvious reasons. My birthday and catching the tambourine :)

you got a tambourine???!!!! wow! please, tell me the story of how...

...nah, second thoughts, don't bother... i think i've heard about it somewhere... ;)
    :D
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    jrd wrote:
    you got a tambourine???!!!! wow! please, tell me the story of how...

...nah, second thoughts, don't bother... i think i've heard about it somewhere... ;)
    :D
    :p Ah shite, I thought I'd missed someone and would get to tell it again :( dammit.

Anyone wanna hear a cute little story of how I got the tambourine? :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :p Ah shite, I thought I'd missed someone and would get to tell it again :( dammit.

Anyone wanna hear a cute little story of how I got the tambourine? :)
    lol
    you still all get excited talking/thinking about it, Helen? :D:)

I know, im the same. when I get my tambo id prolly be like that for like a year, i dont blame you.
    i still get that crazy expression, sparkle in my eyes, lol, when i tell stories about Mike and Ed from Wembley...
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    i prefer this tour... no album to promote.. they played rares every club show and even the odd at a festival.... this tour def!

last year got a bit boring with the usual openers etc.. but then again maybe i shouldn't buy and listen to the entire tour as they are on tour.
  • Options
    Wembley: was marred slightly by the Portugese group robbing me of front row (probably more likely the fact that I queued on the wrong side) so got 2nd row Stones side... heard long road for my first time, faithful was a surprising highlight for me :) but all in all, I think it slips below Astoria and Dublin 06

I've been wondering... what is it about Dublin 06 that was so fabulous? The show is definitely in my top-5, maybe top-3. Short set. Not that spectacular setlist. But one I enjoyed so incredibly much.
  • Options
    conguitaconguita Posts: 222
    For loads of personal reasons, but also for what I've seen, I much more prefer '06

i only got to 3 shows this year, and only really liked London. the others were ok.
    ..:: I wanna taste everyone I see ::..
  • Options
    conguita wrote:
    For loads of personal reasons, but also for what I've seen, I much more prefer '06

i only got to 3 shows this year, and only really liked London. the others were ok.

What were the other 2 shows? And what shows did you see last year?
  • Options
    lol
    you still all get excited talking/thinking about it, Helen? :D:)

I know, im the same. when I get my tambo id prolly be like that for like a year, i dont blame you.
    i still get that crazy expression, sparkle in my eyes, lol, when i tell stories about Mike and Ed from Wembley...
    :D Yep, I still get excited... I was telling random people when I was out Friday night, well ok one girl was IN our group but the other guy was just someone I got talking to... I kept apologising but he turned out to be a PJ fan and was like 'no that's actually really cool' :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Angus wrote:
    I've been wondering... what is it about Dublin 06 that was so fabulous? The show is definitely in my top-5, maybe top-3. Short set. Not that spectacular setlist. But one I enjoyed so incredibly much.

what?????

I wasn't there but i heard the boot adn the crowd was brilliant

fucking awesome setlist....for first show or 99th show

not spectacular setlist??

inside job, gone, indifference, crazy mary, fuckin up, leash, education, black, marker in the sand, why go, rearviewmirror

and also all the other usual great songs
  • Options
    Angus wrote:
    Do you know, I have no idea... I've been wondering that myself. Not much about it that stands out from others. For me, being a home show MAY have had something to do with it I'm sure, but just the whole day, the queue was so chilled out, security were so lovely, the barrier was so comfy, theband's first official concert in europe in 6 years... I think it's just a combination of all maybe.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life