The Company Christmas Party

loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I hate these. I typically don’t go. I’m fine being the outcast, and they know that.
It’s at the boss’ house (again) and is quite lame.

Anyone have any creative excuses for not going?

I think this year, I’m going with ‘I'd rather not spend money and time on an event I have little chance enjoying.’

That’s somewhat PC, right?

Discuss….
Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    :lol: Your excuse may be a bit too harsh! Are you married or in a relationship? If so, just say your significant others' Christmas party is the same day and that you've already confirmed. Done!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • I hated those company X-mas parties . After a couple years of lame parties, I just said ,I see you people enough at work.A logical explanation that was accepted.
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    I hated those company X-mas parties . After a couple years of lame parties, I just said ,I see you people enough at work.A logical explanation that was accepted.

Thats the way I feel. And, it will be about an hour drive to get there. As if I don't drive enough as it is, you want me to drive up there during the weekend? Nuts.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    "I already have plans that evening, sorry"

that's all you have to say.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've got a flat tire

if it makes you feel better....and why wouldn't it....we are having an in office event....

lunch, followed by a white elephant gift exchange.....and finally wrapping up with......karokee christmas

thankfully....i'm taking a vacation day
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    reruns of the golden girls ... ;)
    81 wrote:
    i've got a flat tire

if it makes you feel better....and why wouldn't it....we are having an in office event....

lunch, followed by a white elephant gift exchange.....and finally wrapping up with......karokee christmas

one place I worked at did that.

well, one girl insisted on it, so she told the boss to skip giving everybody a holiday gift and buy a karaoke machine instead. Party day comes, and she runs up to the front to sing a country song. Everybody went outside to smoke instead of listening to her.

Monday morning, the boss returns the karaoke machine and buys everybody some stupid gift.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i've got a flat tire

one place I worked at did that.

well, one girl insisted on it, so she told the boss to skip giving everybody a holiday gift and buy a karaoke machine instead. Party day comes, and she runs up to the front to sing a country song. Everybody went outside to smoke instead of listening to her.

Monday morning, the boss returns the karaoke machine and buys everybody some stupid gift.

:lol:

somebody in the company has one and is bringing it....with christmas tunes....

brilliant :roll: :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mine's tonight.... Anybody want to go?
    GoiMTvP.gif
    last year, part of the christmas fun was employee contributed reciepe book...

and i might have told this before...but my entry was

bourbon on the rocks.

tumbler, add ice, add bourbon.

but the chick doing it edited my entry and said add bourbon and ice to tumbler, shake to chill, pour into a fancy glass.

:x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mine is tonight. I purposely told my wife to work tonight so I had an excuse to stay home (watching the kids)

As much as I hate them, it looks like it wasn't my choice that I couldn't go. Win Win.
    Mine's tonight.... Anybody want to go?

send plane ticket...i'll go. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    fly me out to Miami and I will.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

I'm looking for something much more interesting than that.

I'm liking the Golden Girls re-runs excuse....
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    My firm rotates between an employees-only swank lunch, and an employee/guest theme dinner.

A few years ago, they had a murder-mystery dinner, and I knew it would annoy me to see my co-workers try to solve a murder when most of them can't even do their jobs correctly! I threatened to end the evening early by confessing to being the murderer straight-away! Just me being me!

During the lunches, there is just a bunch of small talk, and the partners make a phony effort to relate to everyone on a personal level. They do those dumb gift exchages where you can claim someone elses gift if you draw a higher number then them. Personally, I'd rather get to go home early, pick up food at Taco Bell, and watch some bad daytime tv with my cat!

Happy holidays to all!
    :shock:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    My firm rotates between an employees-only swank lunch, and an employee/guest theme dinner.

A few years ago, they had a murder-mystery dinner, and I knew it would annoy me to see my co-workers try to solve a murder when most of them can't even do their jobs correctly! I threatened to end the evening early by confessing to being the murderer straight-away! Just me being me!

During the lunches, there is just a bunch of small talk, and the partners make a phony effort to relate to everyone on a personal level. They do those dumb gift exchages where you can claim someone elses gift if you draw a higher number then them. Personally, I'd rather get to go home early, pick up food at Taco Bell, and watch some bad daytime tv with my cat!

Happy holidays to all!

we did one of those murder mystry things once...it's wasn't that bad, and my answer got a good laugh from the crowd....

i had Kramer doing it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Happy holidays to all!

we did one of those murder mystry things once...it's wasn't that bad, and my answer got a good laugh from the crowd....

i had Kramer doing it.

Eric Kramer?
    loadedgun wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

"I need to alphabetize my 8-track tape collection...I have a HUGE collection!"

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Now we're getting closer. :)
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Interesting fact:

A cassette tape is a 4-track tape.

True story.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    We just have a catered luncheon here, nothing fancy by any means

I'll probably even skip it, since I don't probably won't like much of it anyway (food-wise)

if you don't go, you get a ticket for a free breakfast/lunch at the cafe during the year.

I think I'd rather get a nice free breakfast one morning
  • ours is in office - during the work day...catered luncheon here too, and I never like any of the food they send.

i ended up w/ a few extra vacation days to burn, and conveniently chose the day the christmas party would fall on. (Gotta use those days, otherwise I lose them... good enough excuse, right?) well, now someone else in the office is taking the day off too and they're considering changing it to the thursday before, rather than the friday before christmas because now two of us would miss it.

way to foil my plan :x

and secret santa too :roll:

I'd rather spend that $25 on someone I actually like. Instead, Im in the hunt for a shitty, but not too shitty present for someone who I currently despise. Im thinking a nice ugly Christmas sweater. Maybe an apron. Maybe I can find it it by just typing "tacky" in the search field on amazon :lol:

I wish one of the bosses would have the xmas party at their house! It would be so much better than the lame shit that goes on here...and then we could at least get some alcohol involved... im good at faking small talk with a glass of wine in hand.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Mine's tonight.... Anybody want to go?

I'll go. I'll be wearing a red dress so make sure your tie matches. :)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Confide in your boss that you have developed something of a drinking problem the last couple of months but recently went cold turkey and are deteremined to get through your problem, but you just don't trust yourself in a social sitution where alcohol will be just yet.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    81 wrote:
    i've got a flat tire

The more you talk about your office the more I'm convinced that you work at Dunder Mifflin. Any job openings? :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i've got a flat tire

The more you talk about your office the more I'm convinced that you work at Dunder Mifflin. Any job openings? :lol:

a couple of openings....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i've got a flat tire

a couple of openings....

thats what she said!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    loadedgun wrote:
    I hate these. I typically don’t go. I’m fine being the outcast, and they know that.

I think this year, I’m going with ‘I'd rather not spend money and time on an event I have little chance enjoying.’

Discuss….
    If you typically don't go how do you know if you would enjoy?
    Ya never know...

Saying no comes easier than yes ... I'll give it try.

It's not easy being the boss, though most don't see that.

If the boss is kind enough to welcome his valued employees into
    his or her home perhaps you could be giving enough to go and be gracious.

Tis the season for kindness if but once a year :?

usually kindness and giving find their way back to where they started
  • loadedgun wrote:

Discuss….

Do you actually have to pay to go to the holiday party? I can understand not wanting to spend the time, but you mention money. If employees pay for the holiday party, that's very uncool on the part of your employer. Either way, all you have to do is say you have "another commitment."

I personally feel that it's good to show your face at these things even if it's for a few minutes (and leave because you have "another commitment") especially if you are in any kind of management position.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    i've got a flat tire

holy crap! I was just forming my response:

ours is a luncheon at the office next Wednesday and I am seriously thinking of taking the day off so I can skip it.