Options

Dec 7. A Date That Will Live In Infamy

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
edited December 2021 in A Moving Train
Props to all who lived through this.

And R.I.P. to those who did not.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by mickeyrat on

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    agreed for sure !

Godfather.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    do you believe that fdr knew pearl harbor would be attacked?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    ed243421 wrote:
    If they did have reasonable belief of an attack and had the intent to use this as an excuse to enter the war, I find it hard to believe they were willing to risk the majority of the entire Pacific fleet. I do find it plausible that there were reports and hints of an attack out there prior via intelligence, but either that information was found to be not credible or lost in bureaucracy and discovered in hindsight.

If it was a conspiracy, they would have at least moved the fleet out of the harbor. It's not a very good strategy to pick a fight with Japan by sacrificing what you need to defeat Japan.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    Jason P wrote:
    ed243421 wrote:
    If they did have reasonable belief of an attack and had the intent to use this as an excuse to enter the war, I find it hard to believe they were willing to risk the majority of the entire Pacific fleet. I do find it plausible that there were reports and hints of an attack out there prior via intelligence, but either that information was found to be not credible or lost in bureaucracy and discovered in hindsight.

If it was a conspiracy, they would have at least moved the fleet out of the harbor. It's not a very good strategy to pick a fight with Japan by sacrificing what you need to defeat Japan.

i'll have to check, but

i think only the older battleships were there

they moved all of the newer aircraft carriers out of there shortly before the attack
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    RIP to all those who lost their lives that day.

Part of the speech:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VqQAf74fsE
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Gordon Prange's book "At Dawn we slept" is a 40 year undertaking on this topic. It's probably the best history book I've ever read and don't let the size of the book sway you it reads fast. It wasn't so much did they know, they did know to a point. It was how serious do we take it, plus arrogance, Pearl Harbor was known as a fortress. The Atlantic war was consuming all of the resources so many decrypts didn't get through to those in Hawaii for strategic and bureaucratic reasons.

Keep in mind most Navies out there were still Battleship minded and weren't thinking of large scale naval aerial assaults. The Japanese had been fighting in China for a decade so were way ahead of us etc. etc.
  • Options
    ed243421 wrote:

i'll have to check, but

i think only the older battleships were there

they moved all of the newer aircraft carriers out of there shortly before the attack
    From what I've read, the Japanese strategy was focused on destroying the battleships as it was their belief that a naval war would be decided by battleships. We were very lucky that no carriers were present during the attack.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    I grew up hearing lots of stories about WWII. My father was stationed in The Solomon Islands during the war and worked as an aircraft mechanic. He's 91 years old. That generation of people who served in WWII is very old and dying off quickly. It's weird to think that before too long they'll all be gone. Where does the time go?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    I grew up hearing lots of stories about WWII. My father was stationed in The Solomon Islands during the war and worked as an aircraft mechanic. He's 91 years old. That generation of people who served in WWII is very old and dying off quickly. It's weird to think that before too long they'll all be gone. Where does the time go?
    Yeah, considering it was 70 years ago, the youngest enlisted survivor would be 88 years old.

Over Thanksgiving my dad and my uncle were recalling old stories. They were talking about a wedding and my uncle stated he didn't think he attended because he was off fighting the Koreans. It struck me as odd because the Korean war truly is the forgotten war and also made me realize that my parents are getting old ... which means I must be getting old too! :shock:

At the very least, it reminded my to treasure the time spent with loved ones.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Jason P wrote:
    ed243421 wrote:

The Americans only needed the "Fat Man" to beat Japan. Pearl Harbor is the event America wanted and used to get more heavily into the war. It makes sense that America needed such a scene of destruction to do what it wanted to do.

But Of course the Americans had no idea about the coming attack on Pearl Harbor, Right Mr Cornell hull? Cough Cough.

The Americans fired the first shot against a Japanese sub,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2223256.stm

"A Date Which Will Live In Infamy"...indeed.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    Yeah, considering it was 70 years ago, the youngest enlisted survivor would be 88 years old.

Over Thanksgiving my dad and my uncle were recalling old stories. They were talking about a wedding and my uncle stated he didn't think he attended because he was off fighting the Koreans. It struck me as odd because the Korean war truly is the forgotten war and also made me realize that my parents are getting old ... which means I must be getting old too! :shock:

At the very least, it reminded my to treasure the time spent with loved ones.

And some even enlisted when they were 16 or 17 yrs old.

God bless them all past and present who served.
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    ed243421 wrote:

The Americans only needed the "Fat Man" to beat Japan. Pearl Harbor is the event America wanted and used to get more heavily into the war. It makes sense that America needed such a scene of destruction to do what it wanted to do.

But Of course the Americans had no idea about the coming attack on Pearl Harbor, Right Mr Cornell hull? Cough Cough.

The Americans fired the first shot against a Japanese sub,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2223256.stm

"A Date Which Will Live In Infamy"...indeed.
    As for the sub and "first shot to start the war" Some could reasonably argue that implementing the attack plans were the start of the war.

If not that , then the second those Japanese planes left those ships , the war began.

Besides, THAT was not the intent of this thread.

Call it what you will, this WAS and IS an important day/date in the history of my country, regardless of the suspicionss surrounding motives or knowledge.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

Call it what you will, this WAS and IS an important day/date in the history of my country, regardless of the suspicionss surrounding motives or knowledge.
    Today is a day to remember those at Pearl no doubt. Remember all vets indeed.
  • Options
    24 survivors return to Pearl Harbor for the first time in 70 years.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/honolulukit ... 03357.html
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

That was nice thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    War is nuts.

My grandpa had to kill a man in hand to hand combat with a knife.. Apparently when the Japanese ran out of bullets they were to come at you anyways and do whatever it takes, disregarding their own lives.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

That was nice thanks for sharing.
    You're welcome.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    edited December 2011
    mickeyrat wrote:

It is a very important day, that's why it's important to figure out and know to the best of our ability, what the Truth is.

It matters very much so if America knew about the impending attack or not and based on the fact that they shot a Japanese sub the same day of. well....Anyway,

The best way to respect the fallen, is to make sure we know how they fell, and why. But history shows us that we tend to make the same bad choices and decisions, it keeps on happening over and over, the cyclical nature of our History.

People want to remember, remember this, most wars can be avoided, maybe the best way to respect the fallen, is to stop supporting the Eco system of ignorance that allows such destruction and support for it to occur.

Want to Respect the fallen and honor our/the soldiers both alive and also the ones long gone from this earth? Demand your/our government to stop all it's current wars, it's current support for brutal regimes and to stop it's destruction of the rest of the world. Military industrial complex for example.

That's how you honor war vets, by not putting their children, and grandchildren and great grandchildren in wars that need to be.
    ---
    "regardless of the suspicionss surrounding motives or knowledge"? Mr MickeyRat, Motives and knowledge are to the core, important.

It is only the dead who have seen the end of war
    -Plato
    Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    War or not... lives were lost.
    That is what's important.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I don't know. If not a single life was lost it would still be important. Our nation was attacked by another nation.

70,000 people die every day.. We all die. Nothing new.
  • Options
    God bless all World War Two veterans. We lose more and more every year...
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    Gob wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    I don't know. If not a single life was lost it would still be important. Our nation was attacked by another nation.

Agreed. But, in this day of rememberance... we should remember the lives lost that day, not the underlying political factors.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    edited December 2011
    Idris wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

It is a very important day, that's why it's important to figure out and know to the best of our ability, what the Truth is.

It matters very much so if America knew about the impending attack or not and based on the fact that they shot a Japanese sub the same day of. well....Anyway,

The best way to respect the fallen, is to make sure we know how they fell, and why. But history shows us that we tend to make the same bad choices and decisions, it keeps on happening over and over, the cyclical nature of our History.

People want to remember, remember this, most wars can be avoided, maybe the best way to respect the fallen, is to stop supporting the Eco system of ignorance that allows such destruction and support for it to occur.

Want to Respect the fallen and honor our/the soldiers both alive and also the ones long gone from this earth? Demand your/our government to stop all it's current wars, it's current support for brutal regimes and to stop it's destruction of the rest of the world. Military industrial complex for example.

That's how you honor war vets, by not putting their children, and grandchildren and great grandchildren in wars that need to be.
    ---
    "regardless of the suspicionss surrounding motives or knowledge"? Mr MickeyRat, Motives and knowledge are to the core, important.

-Plato

What is important TODAY is that we remember those that were lost at Pearl. Tomorrow we can discuss who and what and where.

There is a time for everything and today we remember. And if you know a vet that served thank them. In a few yrs there won't be anymore WWII vets alive so thank the ones that are still alive b4 it's too late. We owe that to them.
    Post edited by patrickredeyes on
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

Agreed. But, in this day of rememberance... we should remember the lives lost that day, not the underlying political factors.
    If we disregard the underlying political factors, is it safe to say we should take a day to remember the hundreds of thousands of civilian lives lost when Hiroshima was bombed?

just for thought.. I'm not saying we shouldn't pay a little respect today.
  • Options
    Gob wrote:
    If we disregard the underlying political factors, is it safe to say we should take a day to remember the hundreds of thousands of civilian lives lost when Hiroshima was bombed?

just for thought..[/quote]

I believe there is a day to remember Hiroshima it's August 6th.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

---

-Plato
    I do agree, however your post about the sub is largely meaningless without a timeline of when it was sunk. When exactly or thereabouts was this sub shot at? I may and could be wrong, I didnt see that reported in the linked article. Was it BEFORE the first torpedo left the belly of a Japanese plane?

Simple fact is at this point 70 yrs later , we'd be HARD pressed to get an accurate recollection or statement os said timing.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I believe there is a day to remember Hiroshima it's August 6th.
    If people need a day to remember, I'm fine with it. It's a way of mourning... but at some point, the time for mourning is over.

Three of my grandparents are dead, and to be honest, I don't remember what day the earth was positioned in it's orbit around the sun when their deaths occured. It's not important to me.. What is important to me, is they will always be a part of my life.. Everyday.

That's just me. I'm not trying to downplay this day. I'm just trying to understand why we have to designate it. Pearl Harbor or the lives lost that day will be no less important tomorrow.

If nothing more than a reminder in our busy lives, I'm ok with that.

I personally did not know any soul lost on that day and fortunately in any war and for that I am fortunate, but feel a bit detached.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    Gob wrote:

just for thought.. I'm not saying we shouldn't pay a little respect today.
    Yes... I absolutely believe that we, as a nation, should mourn for the lives lost by our hands on August, 6th.
    No excuses... no justification argued... no rationale offered... simply rememberance of the lives lost.
    Hail, Hail!!!