Options

*** Toronto Fanviews 5/9 Here ***

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jammin2PearlJammin2Pearl Posts: 266
    The Lenny Bruce Tag on Daughter is fucking Amazing!! I cant stop listening to it. One of the best tags in my oppinion. First of all the crowd was doing a call back with 'the shades go down' part which is cool to hear. Then the Lenny Bruce monlogue and wow it fits and flows so well, I cant stop listening to it off the boot, then their is an actual call-and-response from Ed and the Crowd then he goes back into the monologue a little...fucking brilliant.

“To is a Preposition Come is a Verb To is a preposition Come is a verb the verb intransitive Did you come? Did you come? Did you come? Did you come good?..."
  • Options
    Zillah13Zillah13 Posts: 101
    krazymary wrote:
    Great pics!!!!!
    I was also in the front row for both Toronto shows. I'm just waiting for my sister to send me the approximately 72 pictures she took.
    Let me know if you want them!!!!!!
    Man..... I wish I could put a Pearl Jam pic in here as my siggie!!!! LMFAO!!
  • Options
    anisbanisb Posts: 4
    This is what I wrote about the concert on my blog the day after... so funny that I called the post "given to fly" even though I have never been on the forum before. Awesome concert...

http://anisb.nomadlife.org/2006/05/given-to-fly.aspx

Given to fly

In 2001, a friend of mine from Turkey told me that he saw Pearl Jam live in Istanbul… That day, I felt so jealous, why not me!? The only big concerts I saw were Sting, Michael Jackson and… Eros Ramazotti… Pathetic

Same goes for you Angie, with all the concerts you went to: I saw Manu chao last week, oh I saw U2 yesterday and next week it’s the Roling Stones… oh I have tickets for Depeche Mode but I don’t wanna go… Grrrrrrrrrr

Yesterday the curse was broken… I saw Pearl Jam live at the Air Canada Center, home of the Toronto Raptors and the Maple leafs… and it was absolutely GREAT.

Opening starts at 7.30p.m by “My morning Jacket”, good band but the sound was so fuzzy and squeaky. I was like “NO f**ing way, that’s the sound at the ACC !?? Is it gonna be this way during PJ’s concert!???”

They play for half an hour, then lights on again, to let my fellow concert mates empty the arena to go buy their beers, pop corn, hot dogs and other Pearl Jam’s goodies at - the not so expensive after all – 30 to 50$ for a tee-shirt, 15$ for the night program and 10$ for a poster…

8.30, the crowd start cheering and calling the band out, the arena didn’t get full until that time, I was there since 7.15 pm… oups. Lights off, unleash the beast, let the show begin. The fun starts with an awesome kick off with “Severed Hand” …

As soon as they played the first note, the fans (in a synchronized move) took their lighters out. Not to accompany the song, but to light their smokes and perfume the air with an... “herbal” scent.

The atmosphere was great, the sound was great and the crowd in a total communion with the band. One of the great moments of the concert, was Eddie Vedder playing the intro of “Better Man” alone on stage with the crowd singing along, then “She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man...” and the band jumps in to rock the house.

My seat was a bit far from the stage, I enjoyed it from there until the adventurous in me took the power and I sneaked out after the first set to get closer… I got very close to the stage, until an asshole usher asks me”where is your seat buddy!?” who cares where is my seat, are you in an opera show dude!? Hello, it’s a rock concert, since I am not bothering anybody and I didn’t jump any fence, leave me alone. He insists, he doesn’t even let me take a picture… so I gotta go back the stairs, but hey I found an empty seat a couple of rows up, asked about it, no body was sitting there, BINGO.

So the whole show was awesome, a nice mix of new songs from their just released album and older ones… even though I think they played too many songs from “Ten”. I particularly enjoyed “Given to fly”, “Garden, “Inside Job”, “Alive”… For me, the best moments of the concert were “Better man”, “Sad” and Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the free world” (I told you it was a great version by Pearl Jam).

I would have loved to see them play one of my all time favorites “rearview mirror” and two great songs from their album lost dogs “Alone” and “Hold on”. “Lost dogs” is a remarkable collection of unreleased songs, but unfortunately didn’t get the attention that it deserves; they only played “sad” from it.

You could feel they wanted to please their fans. BUT, what’s going on with those super expensive goodies? and the bootlegs of every show available to download for money. Where are the good old days when they were fighting Ticketmaster to reduce the concert prices?

But it is all good, I had a great night. They played for 2h30 almost non stop. They only took two short breaks after the first set and the first encore. The band was very cheerful and Eddie was toasting to the crowd with his bottle of wine. When they returned back to the stage for the second Encore, Eddie goes “People told us you shouldn’t play that long, you are playing tomorrow… I don’t care about tomorrow; I just wanna have fun tonight”.

I had fun too, thanks guys... That night, I was “A human being that was given to fly”

A.

2006-05-09 Toronto Ontario Air Canada Centre

Set 1 Severed Hand, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Marker In The Sand, Given To Fly, Better Man, Even Flow, Unemployable, Garden, Sad, Corduroy, Present Tense, Daughter, Grievance, Not For You, Inside Job, Why Go
    Encore 1 Do The Evolution, Jeremy, Come Back, Alive
    Encore 2 Porch, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter
    The North is to South what the clock is to time
    "There's east and there's west and there's everywhere life
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in between is mine
    I am mine"
    A.
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    I forgot to mention earlier, we saw Daniel Lanois (U2 producer) in attendance, sittin in section 117 or so

was reminded of that earlier tonight when i saw : classic albums - the joshua tree

replay on now on muchmoremusic
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    cortcort Posts: 18
    I was listening to the 1st Toronto show and i believe i heard i RUSH tag at the end of YL. CAn anyone confirm this? I'm not too familiar with Rush song titles but i'm pretty sure Mike played a riff during the end of the song.
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    yup - I heard it

sounds a bit like the spirit of radio
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    Comeback and Inside Job are two of my new favorite songs because of this show.
  • Options
    KrohnKrohn Posts: 79
    I'm way late on fanviews for Toronto, but oh well!

May 9th was just awsome for me. Got to hear many songs of old I wanted to hear. Why Go, Sad, Porch!!, Present Tense, Not for You! The new ones are just awsome in person. Severed Hand as an opener for the tour was just awsome. I wasn't sure about the lasers when I saw them, it surprised me...but cool effect for the songs they were used on, and the band definetly did not go overboard with them :)

Inside Job was definetly one highlight, I loved the song off the Album, but seeing it live, with Mike's double axe was wicked.

This was a great show, I really enjoyed myself. The real fanview will come for May 10 though, that was a personal experience that will remain special forever :)

Krohn
    www.wishlistfoundation.com
    www.ccfc.ca
    www.ccfa.org
  • Options
    24veddie24veddie Posts: 267
    Krohn wrote:
    I'm way late on fanviews for Toronto, but oh well!

May 9th was just awsome for me. Got to hear many songs of old I wanted to hear. Why Go, Sad, Porch!!, Present Tense, Not for You! The new ones are just awsome in person. Severed Hand as an opener for the tour was just awsome. I wasn't sure about the lasers when I saw them, it surprised me...but cool effect for the songs they were used on, and the band definetly did not go overboard with them :)

Inside Job was definetly one highlight, I loved the song off the Album, but seeing it live, with Mike's double axe was wicked.

This was a great show, I really enjoyed myself. The real fanview will come for May 10 though, that was a personal experience that will remain special forever :)

Krohn

it really was a special show. all shows are like that for different reasons for different people.
  • Options
    KrohnKrohn Posts: 79
    24veddie wrote:
    it really was a special show. all shows are like that for different reasons for different people.

Can I live in your suitcase for the next few weeks? :)
    www.wishlistfoundation.com
    www.ccfc.ca
    www.ccfa.org
  • Options
    reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    What a great way to start off the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The crowd was amazing the band was amazing WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Severd Hand as the opener was cool...I was so excited to hear that one live and it was so fast..I had too much fun!!! Presentense and Not for You, both I was happy to get.

I think they should come back and finish the World Tour back in Toronto!!!! Although man we've been spoiled I've seen them 8 times in the last yr without having to travel more than 4hrs and (I couldn't make Hamilton). Luv it!!!
  • Options
    reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    Kricket wrote:
    Severd Hand as the opener was cool...I was so excited to hear that one live and it was so fast..I had too much fun!!! Presentense and Not for You, both I was happy to get.

I think they should come back and finish the World Tour back in Toronto!!!! Although man we've been spoiled I've seen them 8 times in the last yr without having to travel more than 4hrs and (I couldn't make Hamilton). Luv it!!!

That is a great idea, but what else would I expect from someone from sarnia.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    “To is a Preposition Come is a Verb To is a preposition Come is a verb the verb intransitive Did you come? Did you come? Did you come? Did you come good?..."

i found myself singing this while cleaning my kitchen the other day....

i really like it... sounds amazing on the boot....

and i thought that Ed singing Beast of Burden was sexy... i think this takes it! :o:D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    corduroy41corduroy41 Posts: 94
    In retrospect now, I'm thinking this must've been the most boring setlist of all to date. Might not be the least liked show, but thus far it seems to pale in comparison to any others.

Saving grace was hearing the new songs for their first time. I'll never regret going to a PJ show, but I so wish I had got tickets for night 2 in place of night 1, or both nights preferably.

For some reason I had the thought in my head opening night would be easily one of the best shows of the tour. I can only imagine what the last show of the world tour will be like.