Options

*** Toronto Fanviews 5/9 Here ***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Set List 1: Severed Hand, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Marker In The Sand, Given To Fly, Better Man, Even Flow, Unemployable, Garden, Sad, Corduroy, Present Tense, Daughter, Grievance, Not For You, Inside Job, Why Go

1st Encore: Do The Evolution, Jeremy, Come Back, Alive

2nd Encore: Porch, Rockin’ In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

Please post your fanview if you were in attendance.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    J_Ride99J_Ride99 Posts: 27
    I was starting to get into Inside Job a little later than most, but after hearing it live it is definately my favorite from the new album. Incredible song, incredible show.

Thanks PJ for coming back so soon.

J
    I Will Stare The Sun Down Until My Eyes Go Blind

Kitchener (09/11/05), Toronto (9/19/05), St. John's (09/24/05), St. John's (09/25/05), Toronto (05/09/06), Toronto (05/10/06), Pittsburgh (06/23/06)
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    I'd love permission to post your fan views on my site as well... I plan to be hosting for a long time and it will be an easy place to send people that you want to read them... I can host pictures too...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    the show was awesome. the sound and lights were great. i especially liked those cool laser type lights

heard lots of new songs, which is what it is ALL about. i'm glad they didn't forget to play corduroy, though! it was perfect to open the show with 4 new songs and those tunes did not disappoint. this album is filled with great songs.

the surprises for me were garden, inside job

the songs i most loved were ALL the new songs but especially unemployable deserves mention cause it came off amazing live. i knew severed hand and marker and life wasted would be killer but i was floored by how good unemployable was. blew my mind...scared alive...indeed...wow...if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream...wow......

i still love that new porch intro and another shout out has to go to sad

the 10c ticket pick up was a breeze. the floor security were being anal about being a 1/2" over the taped line on the floor. we had friends all around. everyone was smiling. the lower bowl looked like they were on their feet all of the night but i did see some "sitters" up in the upper level, but when the house lights went up for the last 2 songs everyone in the building was standing and roaring.

it will be nice to do it all over again tonight. i'm hoping for big wave and gone but mostly i really want to hear army reserve. after that i hope they get boom's mix figured out cause if crazy mary comes down tonight he must be turned up!

kudos to mike and stoney for giving gifts. mike was tossing picks back to as far as the 10th row!

i'm probably forgetting some things i wanted to say here but...

oh ya...i saw the poster, had a chance to buy one, and didn't like/buy it../ oh well that's art for ya
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    i loved this show!! it was awesome! the new songs sounded great!! :D

me and my friend were in 117 row 4.. those were awesome seats, except for the lights blinding us... ;)

the set list rocked! :D
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    highlight of my night was "Come Back" - fell in love with it when i first heard it and hearing it live was amazing.. it was done very, very well.

crowd was great, the lasers during Severed Hand were pretty sweet.

The group did an amazing job on the new material, seems like they have it down pat already! Yellow Ledbetter as a closer was amazing as usual, not one song i was dissapointed with.. awesome!
  • Options
    Obsidian22Obsidian22 Posts: 298
    The highlights of the may 9 show for me were Severed Hand to open with the lasers, Given to Fly with lasers, Garden was unbelievable and haunting. I agree with iloveavacadoes Come Back is awesome live. I thought Eddie's voice was sublime and heartfelt. Great tune. Oh yeah! Inside Job, they played it live for the first time. Fantastic, except for the late keyboards.All in all a 10. Thank You Pearl Jam for starting your tour in Toronto! Please
    Come Back, SOON!!!!
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's Soul remains Unawakened.
    Anatole France
  • Options
    Just one amazing show. I was hoping they would play the whole new album. Great show, with a great crowd. All the new songs sounded great! Amazing band! Don't mean to be critical, but there a lot of 'spoiled' fan club members in the front seating down inbetween encores. You can see a lot of these guys have seen one too many shows. Give some of the newer fan club members a chance to be upfront.
    Cheers @ $9 a beer! ;-)
  • Options
    Jammin2PearlJammin2Pearl Posts: 266
    This was an Amazing Show!

The debut of Inside Job I thought was done really well.. All the new songs I really thought they did well..EFlow Mike was steller really blew me away! Even Flow is worht it b/c of Mike, Its a point where it what else can Mike do, and Why he impresses time after time. I mean Weve all heard Evenflow and this was fucking impressive [Night 2's Even Flow was even BETTER!!] Sad is always a good song to get thrown into a show, same with Greivence and Notfor You love those songs and they rocked them out so hard! Why Go was fucking amazing and it is one of my top 5 so I was stoked that they brought it back and just floored when the broke it out! Come back was a surprise for me in the 2nd encore they were rocking hard tunes at that point I would have thought a Big Wave or Comotose would have fit in there but Come Back is such a beautiful song that is was such a treat to hear.
    The encore starts with another top 5 in Porch. And Mike Holy Fuck Blew Me away!! There has been some AMAZING versons and I was Blown away! This solo will be listen to ALOT when I get the boot!
    RITFW and Yellow Ledbetter both were playd with the house lights up.

Truly an Absolutly amazing show. Garden Why Go and Porch are my stand outs and it was the first for a lot for me all from the new album those 3 plus Not For You.
    I walked out of that show and both me and my Buddy didnt know how the 2nd night would top this night. The crazy thing is they did. This show was a great concert. Great set and the guys sounded really tight. But the 2nd night was something special.
  • Options
    nico10nico10 Posts: 21
    Was it just me or was Eddie totally drunk by the end of the show!
  • Options
    JacobJacob Posts: 20
    After watching the show Tuesday, I gotta say, walking out of the ACC and to Union Station, I had this feeling like I was just hit by a hurricane, and needed time to recover before I could look back on it properly. And so now, two days later, I gotta say that the show was something truly special to me. Even though Ed and the guys played a lot of typical concert anthems of theres, like Evenflow and Daughter, they played the classics like they were just written. Hearing all the old songs prompted me to go back and listen to Ten in it's entirety today and it felt like it was my first time hearing it. The show really got me to dig through all the old albums and listen to them with a new sense of the songs.

The new songs were played with fierce and thundering power, leaving me in awe. And although the band didn't play many album tracks, the ones they did were equal to or greater than the anthemic crowd-pleasers like Alive and Jeremy. It made me realize that on a Pearl Jam album, any song has the potential to blow an audience away live.

And so, in closing, I totally agree with the Toronto Sun's review which stated that the May 9th show may very well be the greatest show Toronto has ever seen. It was the first concert I walked out of totally speechless.

Can't wait to hear it downloaded.
    things were different then
    all is different now
    I tried to explain
    somehow...
  • Options
    vitalpj10vitalpj10 Posts: 142
    nico10 wrote:
    Was it just me or was Eddie totally drunk by the end of the show!

I don't think so. He was mostly drinking tea. I thought it was interesting that he made a point to show that the wine was low, since I only saw him take like 5 sips.
    ...I thought the world, turns out the word thought me
  • Options
    JaidraJaidra Posts: 57
    I'm 5'2"

Row 7 on the floor next to a middle aisle

This is my 7th concert but I just saw the whole band live for the first time!

I love every Pearl Jam concert view or no, but being able to see the whole band at once up so close was absolutely priceless.

They were constantly interacting with each other, and enjoying the music. Mike was on fire, as always; a bundle of energy on stage. Matt had a grin from ear to ear. Looked like they were having a lot of fun.

I know I was.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Everytime I see Pearl Jam it is a privilege and I feel like the luckiest person on earth. We were 5th row Stones's side side section. We kept walking and walking and couldn't believe how close we were going to be. I think this was my most enjoyable Toronto show, having seen them 4x in toronto now. Highlights for me for this show were seeing (hearing!) so many songs from the new album. Life Wasted, Severed Hand (YEH!), Come Back (if that isn't slow dance material, I don't know what is - try it with someone!), WWS, Unemployable, INSIDE JOB!, Marker in the Sand! I was hoping to hear as much of the new album as possible so this was awesome! Always up for Grievance, one of my favorites, and Sad was another gem.

Really enjoyed the setlist - Garden, Why Go, which floored me as there is some personal meaning to this, song and it hit me hard live. The monologue tag with Daughter was unusual and unexpected. Keep doing different and new things, Ed! Speaking of Ed who was up to some climbing to the top of a speaker to face our side section, and then the same side section on the other side. No falling this night i am pleased to say. Great view of everyone, really. Mike looked like he must have a bucket of picks, the way he was throwing out handfuls at a time. At the end of the show Stone came out with a bunch of shirts and was throwing them out to people on the floor, except with one shirt, he threw it forward and it went back behind him on the stage, which was kind of funny.

I should mention I love the Toronto subway - it is so easy!

Thank you as always, and will be in Albany tonight!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    canukyjcanukyj Posts: 2
    Awesome show. Awesome awesome awesome. It was worth every mile of the 1000 mile commute I made to catch the guys once again. Thanks to PJ and the whole crew!

PS Eddie next time you see us holding that giant pink sign saying WHO YOU ARE play it! lol ;)
    When I started grade 7 Ten had just hit the market by storm, my name's Jeremy and on the first day of class at my new school the teacher laughed while calling roll call and then proceeded to blast Jeremy from Ten in front of class. I listened to the song closely and my life changed forever.
  • Options
    AnitaMcKAnitaMcK Posts: 1
    I have never been to this web page before yesterday...the day after the toronto show. i've been going to concerts since i was 13 (now 36) and i swear, i have never been to a show that was more mind blowing than PJ's may 10th show. i've always been a fan of their music, and thought eddie was hot (superficial & unnecessary crap, i know) but i have a new found, life long respect for every member of pearl jam. there was not one man on that stage that wasn't rocking the entire place, that night...the energy level was tangible and reciprocal. i am still going on the adrenaline high i got from that night. THANKS GUYS for the best show i've EVER been to...most sincerely. ROCK ON!!!! Anita
  • Options
    Release92Release92 Posts: 6
    I must say that even though the May 9th show rocked, the May 10th show was completely unbelievable!! There was so much energy all around and Eddie seemed to have been more interactive with the crowd on Wednedsay.

I ABSOLUTELY loved Garden and Come back from the 9th but damn was the May 10th show incredible! Seemed like they played longer on Wednesday too.....

Don't get me wrong I am greatful and thrilled to have gone to both!!!
    Got one of Mike's pick's on Tuesday and one of Stone's on Wednesday!!!

P.S. To "Pearl Street Brewery" - I am one of the fans in the front few rows that sit between encores - I have Rheumatoid Arthrititis man so any few minutes I have to rest my knees is great after standing and bopping up and down for over an hour. I am not being disrespectful to the band or anything but I just need a breather on the joints. I know what you're thinking but no - I am not 60 years old - only 29 - lol!
  • Options
    Roddy ORoddy O Posts: 13
    My buddy and I came down from Sudbury to see the show and have to say that the May 9th show was great but the May 10th show was absolutely mind blowing. The lads are getting better with age much like the vino Ed drinks. My wishlist of songs was filled after the 2 nights, and it was great to see them with this new harvested energy. My only regret is that the Canadian shows are over and according to the Toronto Sun may be over for quite a while.
    For those of you awaiting your show in your hometowns I can tell you, you won't be dissapointed.

Thank you Pearl Jam for leaving another fan in awe!!!

Cheers,
  • Options
    I only went Tuesday, and am going to Clevleand. Tuesday was great and got the tour started really well. I had superb seats in the side stands section 108 12 rows up. Much better than Kitchener or London and better than TicketMaster seats I had in 2003. I had never seen them play Present Tense in a show I had been to so I was very pleased. Garden was fantastic and I love Sad. New stuff stands up so well live. This should be an excellent tour.

Wednesday looks like it was fantastic, but I won't complain Tuesday was a fabulous show. I took my brother for his birthday and it was his first Pearl Jam show. He had a blast.
    Barrie 1992 
    Toronto 2003
    Kitchener 2005
    London 2005
    Toronto 1 2006
    Cleveland 2006
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto 2011
    Hamilton 2011
    London, Ont 2013
    Buffalo 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 1 2016
    Toronto 2 2016
    Hamilton 2022
    Toronto 2022
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Ok, so those who went to Toronto 1 failed to point out some stuff!!! tut tut guys, not good enough lol!

Ed screamed at the beginning of DTE like it was 1998 again!
    He totally nailed Jeremy, holding that long note before the climactic ending. Then he nailed the "oohh oooooooooooooohhh" bits, taking it in turns with the crowd!

This is Ed at the top of his game!!! Fuck yeah!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Release92 wrote:
    I must say that even though the May 9th show rocked, the May 10th show was completely unbelievable!! There was so much energy all around and Eddie seemed to have been more interactive with the crowd on Wednedsay.

I ABSOLUTELY loved Garden and Come back from the 9th but damn was the May 10th show incredible! Seemed like they played longer on Wednesday too.....

Don't get me wrong I am greatful and thrilled to have gone to both!!!
    Got one of Mike's pick's on Tuesday and one of Stone's on Wednesday!!!

P.S. To "Pearl Street Brewery" - I am one of the fans in the front few rows that sit between encores - I have Rheumatoid Arthrititis man so any few minutes I have to rest my knees is great after standing and bopping up and down for over an hour. I am not being disrespectful to the band or anything but I just need a breather on the joints. I know what you're thinking but no - I am not 60 years old - only 29 - lol!

Yeah, they definitely did play longer. It was nearly 3 hours, whereas night 1 barely clocked in at 2 and a half. Both were great but night 2 was definitely my Pearl Jam highlight.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    I went to both shows, and they were both excellent. However, show 2 was alot more, powerfull. Definatly more energy in the air from the crowd and the band then the previous show. There is one thing I didnt expect.... to be searching for the person sitting next to me. This may sound odd, but I just need to find the person/people sitting in SEC 110 ROW 19 SEAT 9-11.

Please, if you are/know any of these people... let me know.

Drumming is life...
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    nobody's mentioned the lenny bruce thing?

i loved it

wasn't sure what it was at first because i couldn't really hear the spoken word - and he sung the "didja cum, didja cum was it good"

hot dang

i went to both nights and i loved every moment of night one - it was much different than night two, not a less better night - the energy was just not as loud - more on the subdued/intense side

and they played inside job - i've been waiting (ok, so not too long so it's not sounding nearly as needy as i want it too) to hear this live

the whole night just had a very intimate feel - i thought it was beautiful

i don't get people who rate a show based on the set list - all of the songs mean something different to everybody

the performance and the sharing are what make a show special
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    share wrote:

i loved it

wasn't sure what it was at first because i couldn't really hear the spoken word - and he sung the "didja cum, didja cum was it good"

hot dang

i went to both nights and i loved every moment of night one - it was much different than night two, not a less better night - the energy was just not as loud - more on the subdued/intense side

and they played inside job - i've been waiting (ok, so not too long so it's not sounding nearly as needy as i want it too) to hear this live

i don't get people who rate a show based on the set list - all of the songs mean something different to everybody

I couldnt agree more, lots of my friends thought night 2 was so much better than night 1 but hearing Inside Job, Come Back and the new Garden was amazing...thanks for the tip on the daughter tag I had no clue what it was.....
  • Options
    share wrote:

i loved it

hot dang

I couldnt agree more, lots of my friends thought night 2 was so much better than night 1 but hearing Inside Job, Come Back and the new Garden was amazing...thanks for the tip on the daughter tag I had no clue what it was.....
  • Options
    I posted a review and my pics from both nights on my blog, check it out!

http://spaces.msn.com/brileys
    05/02/03 Buffalo, 06/28/03 Toronto, 09/13/05 Hamilton, 09/19/05 Toronto, 05/09/06 Toronto, 05/10/06 Toronto
    Keep On Rockin In The Free World
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    looking back, i cant believe it's already been a week since I arrived in Toronto, this was the first time i wasnt on the floor, but those 'wing' seats are killer!!

i really liked the opening few (new) songs, loved hearing old songs that i never experience before such as garden, sad, why go. great to hear the long 'jam' again in the middle of porch, my first show where i was stone cold sober, but no matter the high from the band/music & crowd was more than enough

here's some of my pics from section 118 (cheap ass disposable camera)

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146446597&size=o
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146446599&size=o
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146446600&size=o
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146446601&size=o
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146446602&size=o
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146446603&size=o
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146448700&size=o
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146448706&size=o
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146448712&size=o
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=146448714&size=o
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    zepcowboyzepcowboy Posts: 9
    Five or six more pictures from Night One 05-09-06 posted on the blog at

http://zepcowboy.blogspot.com

Some video clips up in two or three days, probably. I uploaded them last night to Google Video.
  • Options
    zepcowboyzepcowboy Posts: 9
    ...are available now at

http://zepcowboy.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I posted a review and my pics from both nights on my blog, check it out!

I just posted a link to the video I took of RITFW on my blog check it out!

05/02/03 Buffalo, 06/28/03 Toronto, 09/13/05 Hamilton, 09/19/05 Toronto, 05/09/06 Toronto, 05/10/06 Toronto
    Keep On Rockin In The Free World
  • Options
    share wrote:

i loved it

hot dang

sooo the lenny bruce thing was the daughter tag? is that a song, or?

i bought the flac and am listening to the show today...i suppose i forgot to mention that was my first garden...and after hearing it on the cd i think it came off pretty well

inside job is such a great song. i am so damn proud of mike for penning that one :)