Manual Transmission Foils Carjackers Plot

Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I always wondered if a typical carjacker would know how to operate a clutch. Perhaps not? :lol:

http://wot.motortrend.com/manual-transmission-foils-carjackers-plot-142305.html
Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    reason #637 as to why a manual > auto. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I always wondered if a typical carjacker would know how to operate a clutch. Perhaps not? :lol:

I think that the best part of the story is that a 45 year old man has a 24 year old girlfriend... :lol:
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • I always wondered if a typical carjacker would know how to operate a clutch. Perhaps not? :lol:

I think that the best part of the story is that a 45 year old man has a 24 year old girlfriend... :lol:

And she has a "Nissan" which may be a Z, which is in the picture, or may not be. :?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I always wondered if a typical carjacker would know how to operate a clutch. Perhaps not? :lol:

And she has a "Nissan" which may be a Z, which is in the picture, or may not be. :?

if the dude is 45 and she is 24....and she has a nissian....it best be a 370 (that's there new one right?)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I bought a stick shift vehicle before I knew how to drive one. It's the best way to learn, you HAVE to. :lol:
  • SemperFiSemperFi Posts: 136
    http://wot.motortrend.com/manual-transmission-foils-carjackers-plot-142305.html[/quote]
    I think that the best part of the story is that a 45 year old man has a 24 year old girlfriend... :lol:[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I bought a stick shift vehicle before I knew how to drive one. It's the best way to learn, you HAVE to. :lol:

I'm sure if I walked into a car dealership and said, "I wanna buy the Z06, and have the cash...but I don't know how to drive a stick." Teh salesman would teach me how to drive a stick...probably on a loaner beater car, but yeah, he'd teach me.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

i did the same thing...i knew the concept but was lousy with it...

a buddy was selling a car for cheap....so i bought it...caught a bus across town to pick it up, hopped in and took off. i find the more power a car has the easier it is to learn to drive....we had a 4 banger ford as a kid, and i stalled that thing all the time...the car i bought had a 2.8L V6, and while not a monster motor, it made it alot easier...

i won't buy a civic stick....a girl i knew had one, and the clutch was so light, i couldn't feel it engage
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    81 wrote:
    i won't buy a civic stick....a girl i knew had one, and the clutch was so light, i couldn't feel it engage
    Kinky. :lol:

My first car was an '85 Honda CRX stick shift.. bought it before I knew how to drive stick. Took me a while to get the hang of, but you never forget.
  • Every clutch has a different feel, and the clutch itself changes over time as it wears. My 2002 RSX - after I got a new clutch it felt like I was driving a different car.

My Infiniti G37 clutch is very heavy - maybe the opposite of a Civic clutch.

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:

i did the same thing...i knew the concept but was lousy with it...

a buddy was selling a car for cheap....so i bought it...caught a bus across town to pick it up, hopped in and took off. i find the more power a car has the easier it is to learn to drive....we had a 4 banger ford as a kid, and i stalled that thing all the time...the car i bought had a 2.8L V6, and while not a monster motor, it made it alot easier...

seriously, it took me about 20 minutes to master it. It's not that difficult a concept, the worst part is coming to a complete stop and starting again without stalling
  • seriously, it took me about 20 minutes to master it. It's not that difficult a concept, the worst part is coming to a complete stop and starting again without stalling

I love the way it keeps you involved with your car. It's completely second nature after about a half hour of practice.

• seriously, it took me about 20 minutes to master it. It's not that difficult a concept, the worst part is coming to a complete stop and starting again without stalling

I love the way it keeps you involved with your car. It's completely second nature after about a half hour of practice.

Agreed. I drove my first automatic car in September in the States and I took a 1 hour lesson with a friend at home before I started my trip, cause I'm used to manual transmission. After driving that automatic car for 7 hours I felt comfortable in using it. But it's boring and I thought the whole time about not using my left foot :lol: I love handling a car with manual transmission, makes me feel more like I'm mastering the vehicle. Not like driving a toy car :lol:
    Leeze wrote:
    seriously, it took me about 20 minutes to master it. It's not that difficult a concept, the worst part is coming to a complete stop and starting again without stalling

Agreed. I drove my first automatic car in September in the States and I took a 1 hour lesson with a friend at home before I started my trip, cause I'm used to manual transmission. After driving that automatic car for 7 hours I felt comfortable in using it. But it's boring :lol: I love handling a car with manual transmission, makes me feel more like I'm mastering the vehicle. Not like driving a toy car :lol:

an hour to learn to stick it in D and not to use your left foot for anything. :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Leeze wrote:

I drove my first automatic car in September in the States and I took a 1 hour lesson with a friend at home before I started my trip, cause I'm used to manual transmission. After driving that automatic car for 7 hours I felt comfortable in using it. But it's boring :lol: I love handling a car with manual transmission, makes me feel more like I'm mastering the vehicle. Not like driving a toy car :lol:

an hour to learn to stick it in D and not to use your left foot for anything. :?:

A friend explained to me what I had to pay attention to and let me drive in his automatic car for an hour here in Germany. I had rented a car already before I went to the States, but I knew it would be an automatic one and I just wanted to make sure not to crash it at the parking lot of the renting station :lol: I had no problems driving out of Chicago and to Detroit and back (well okay, there were some stupid constructions sites in Detroit and I got a little lost in the end :roll: ). And I loved my car :D And I got no cramps in my left leg either.

Hmmm, but I'm not sure whether I really got what you meant :think: :oops: :lol:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    my Dad's motto...
    "everyone must learn a manual transmission
    never know when you may need it"

thanks Dad! :D

too funny though for the car thieves

I bet the victims had a good laugh :lol:
    Leeze wrote:

:lol:

you stick it in D, leave it there and go....not sure why it would take an hour to learn that. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Leeze wrote:

you stick it in D, leave it there and go....not sure why it would take an hour to learn that. :lol:

some people need to put it in R before D...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I bought my first manual car with very little practice and left the lot right during rush hour in Seattle. Talk about baptism by fire!

Overall, I prefer auto under most circumstances but a manual can be great fun to let loose.
  • 81 wrote:
    Leeze wrote:

Well, I don't have a car on my own here, so I'm kind of a nervous driver, especially when I have to drive in and to places that I'm not familiar with :shifty:. And even more if it's a car that doesn't belong to me or my family and friends. It didn't take an hour for me to get what it's all about, I just wanted to have some sort of driving practice before using that car ... mmkay? ;)
    Leeze wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Leeze wrote:

Well, I don't have a car on my own here, so I'm kind of a nervous driver, especially when I have to drive in and to places that I'm not familiar with :shifty:. And even more if it's a car that doesn't belong to me or my family and friends. It didn't take an hour for me to get what it's all about, I just wanted to have some sort of driving practice before using that car ... mmkay? ;)

:thumbup:

ok..more like a refresher course....i assumed you had a manual car that you drove on a reg basis....silly american. that had to be fun....going from not driving much to driving in chicago traffic.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Jason P wrote:
    I bought my first manual car with very little practice and left the lot right during rush hour in Seattle. Talk about baptism by fire!

Overall, I prefer auto under most circumstances but a manual can be great fun to let loose.

that's why I usually leave a 4 foot space between me and the car in front when driving downtown on the hills. Somebody ALWAYS rolls back at least 2 feet. :lol:

- Christopher McCandless
  • 81 wrote:
    Leeze wrote:

:thumbup:

ok..more like a refresher course....i assumed you had a manual car that you drove on a reg basis....silly american. that had to be fun....going from not driving much to driving in chicago traffic.

Hell yes! Especially when that stupid navigation system wanted to direct me through downtown and I had to find my way to the more quiet route the old fashioned way with the map that the renting company gave to me :lol: I was quite proud of myself when I finally made it to Detroit safely :D
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

that's why I usually leave a 4 foot space between me and the car in front when driving downtown on the hills. Somebody ALWAYS rolls back at least 2 feet. :lol:
    The only thing that saved me was a built-in assist that prevented the car from rolling back. Man, it was a harrowing drive back home!
  • Jason P wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

The only thing that saved me was a built-in assist that prevented the car from rolling back. Man, it was a harrowing drive back home!

My most harrowing experience was when I had to steer a car that had no servo steering and a choke out of a narrow parking space on a slight hill in winter :? It never stopped rolling back! And that fucking choke just made me go :twisted: :lol:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    My toughest challenge with stick was renting a car I Jamaica. Everything was set up on the right side and I had to remember stay left on the road or DIE!
    I mastered them both at night in about an hour.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I must say i enjoy driving manual sometimes. my daily is an auto but when i feel like really driving nothing beats shifting gears.

the other week i took my manual out again after awhile of not driving it and at a stop i took off in 3rd and my friend just laughed and was like yeah....havent driven this in awhile. i only recently found out fw manual is a whole easier than rw.

must say the only tricky part on manual is starting from a stop thats on a hill. once you get a feel for the car though you dont drift too far down the hill....
    i only recently found out fw manual is a whole easier than rw.

why do you say that. i've driven both and never really noticed a difference in operations...

of course in snow, rear wheel cars can be a little more tricky.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I learned stick when I was 14 in my dads Datsun 240Z. If a 14 yr old can learn stick in an old car with no power steering, and a really stiff clutch, anybody can learn stick.

edit: I find FWD manuals to be harder. For some reason I can never shift smoothly accelerating and turning fast from a stop sign. I just assume its harder because my car is FWD and the front end is doing every single thing.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    I learned stick when I was 14 in my dads Datsun 240Z. If a 14 yr old can learn stick in an old car with no power steering, and a really stiff clutch, anybody can learn stick.

edit: I find FWD manuals to be harder. For some reason I can never shift smoothly accelerating and turning fast from a stop sign. I just assume its harder because my car is FWD and the front end is doing every single thing.

torqe steer
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg