NHL dramatic realignment... thoughts?

Comments

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    DS1119 wrote:

I don't see the Phoenix thing happening because of what happened to keep the team there...I could see Dallas however. Toronto should have another team anyway. The market could more than support it. I know it would piss the Leafs and Sabres off but it would be for the good of the league.
    In trying to figure out what you meant by 'what happened to keep the team there', I found this article:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/c ... nt=2259063
    :o
    Reading some of those numbers, and realizing how sick the NHL must be of dealing with a weak franchise there....then reading recent stuff implying that the Leafs would accept transfer fees, the hype over the markham project etc, I'm thinking Campbell is right..
    And not so sure about the Dallas team....now that I think about it, without divisional play, it doesn't matter if both 7 team conferences are in the East, does it? :s I'm sue the league would prefer to keep them there as they've established some history....but I think they're starting to see the benefit of more Canadian teams from a stability pov...then there is the shift in the economies and dollar values...so who knows.
    81 wrote:
    I'd rather something like Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux and Orr conferences. That could work.

what about Roy

I'd love to get Roy in there, but the conference in which he was most successful (most Cups), would have to get Gretzky.
    Sorry guys, but Roy was a whiny bitch, a poor sport, and not the even the best goalie ever...that would be Tretiak :P...if I wanted be a dick, I could mention Marty Brodeur ;) I don't think Roy was respected or liked by many of his peers; he doesn't deserve an honour like that...
    What about the #2 all-time point leader, 6 time cup champion, the greatest leader in the history of sport?
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Sorry guys, but Roy was a whiny bitch, a poor sport, and not the even the best goalie ever...that would be Tretiak :P...if I wanted be a dick, I could mention Marty Brodeur ;)
    What about the #2 all-time point leader, 6 time cup champion, the greatest leader in the history of sport?
    I'd be okay with Messier taking Lemieux's spot on my list. Gretzky-Howe-Messier-Orr
    But I do disagree with your Roy opinion.
    Sorry guys, but Roy was a whiny bitch, a poor sport, and not the even the best goalie ever...that would be Tretiak :P...if I wanted be a dick, I could mention Marty Brodeur ;)
    I'd be okay with Messier taking Lemieux's spot on my list. Gretzky-Howe-Messier-Orr
    But I do disagree with your Roy opinion.
    :lol:
    I could describe Lemieux (for most of his career anyway), the same way as Roy...
    anyway, I shouldnt derail....just love my hockey trash talk... :)
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DS1119 wrote:

I don't see the Phoenix thing happening because of what happened to keep the team there...I could see Dallas however. Toronto should have another team anyway. The market could more than support it. I know it would piss the Leafs and Sabres off but it would be for the good of the league.
    In trying to figure out what you meant by 'what happened to keep the team there', I found this article:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/c ... nt=2259063
    :o
    Reading some of those numbers, and realizing how sick the NHL must be of dealing with a weak franchise there....then reading recent stuff implying that the Leafs would accept transfer fees, the hype over the markham project etc, I'm thinking Campbell is right..
    And not so sure about the Dallas team....now that I think about it, without divisional play, it doesn't matter if both 7 team conferences are in the East, does it? :s I'm sue the league would prefer to keep them there as they've established some history....but I think they're starting to see the benefit of more Canadian teams from a stability pov...then there is the shift in the economies and dollar values...so who knows.

Yeah the Phoenix thing is a mess. I've been there twice and the rink is gorgeous. The Cardinals play right next door and they built that beautiful Westgate Plaza around it...just too bad no one goes.
  • messier is not the greatest leader in sports, how well did he lead his team in Vancouver?? Not very well, I will not list his multiple failures.

Roy would be to funny a name to have, you would get some uneducated people calling it Roy :lol:

I say go with the the old names, smyth, campbell, wales, trying to remember, pattrick?? so long ago cant remember.

If they had to be new names, Orr, Howe, Lemeiux, Gretzky,

I do not like that the west does not have any original 6 teams either.

but you are not going to please everyone, good debate though
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    As a Red Wing's fan, I'm thrilled with the new alignment! The late game starts will be dramatically reduced and we get to maintain current rivalries with St. Louis and Chicago.

Everyone in conference B (I call dibs on "Norris") were the big winners.

I'll finally have to give a tip of the hat to Gary Bettman ( :shock: :sick: ). It's like Bettman and David Stern are in one of those 80's movies where their brains switch bodies. For the last several decades Stern has been the competent ringmaster and Bettman the bumbling dunce. Someone needs to explain this ... we need to get Rob Schneider on the case and figure out what happened.
  • I have mixed feelings about playing the same teams in the playoffs all the time. Of course we always played Buffalo under the old system. :roll:

Assuming it works this way I LOVE reseeding the teams for the semifinals. It'll result in great SC Final matchups. How about Bruins vs Flyers???

Pretty genius how this solves Detoit's western conference issue. And awesome to play all the teams home and home, which never should've stopped to begin with.

Overall I think it's pretty good. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jason P wrote:
    As a Red Wing's fan, I'm thrilled with the new alignment! The late game starts will be dramatically reduced and we get to maintain current rivalries with St. Louis and Chicago.

Definitely agree. Can't lose that Hawks-Wings rivalry. I'm really starting to enjoy the Hawks-Blues rivalry as well. Not as many late starts will also be nice.....constantly staying up til 1130-12 when the Hawks are out on the West coast.
  • Kind of funny to have the Hurricanes plus the Patrick Division. Although it makes a little more sense if you think of them as the Whalers. :geek:

The 8 team Smythe Conference is ready for Phoenix to move to Quebec or Toronto or wherever and have the Adams Conference increase to 8 teams.

Also, the old Patrick Division had 6 teams competing for 4 playoff spots, while the other 3 divisions had 5 teams competing for 4 playoff spots. So we'll happily take a 7 team conference.

Someone asked about the players approving the plan; my understanding is that the players have no say in the matter.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    the greatest leader in the history of sport?

Ditka played hockey?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Sorry guys, but Roy was a whiny bitch, a poor sport, and not the even the best goalie ever...that would be Tretiak :P...if I wanted be a dick, I could mention Marty Brodeur ;) I don't think Roy was respected or liked by many of his peers; he doesn't deserve an honour like that...

i was going to toss out Marty, but he's still playing
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

for a BULK of brodeur's career when the devils were playing that trap BS, brodeur was nothing more than a 3rd defenseman.

roy/tretiak to fight it out for best all time.
  • 81 wrote:

i was going to toss out Marty, but he's still playing

If you can call it that lol
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    home games all year for the leafs! ... haha ... except in boston ... :)
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    polaris_x wrote:
    home games all year for the leafs! ... haha ... except in boston ... :)

There was quite a few Leafs fans in Boston just couldn't hear them over the hate for Kessel which i find funny they won the cup without the guy let it go already lol.

i still prefer the the way the standings are set now and say i don't think it's broke don't need to fix it
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Mudfest wrote:
    SoWinnipeg comes outthe Loser on this one by far..

They go from seeing Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburg, new york, boston , Philly 2x each at home, washington 3x at home to

Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas.

Ok Chicago Detroit are nice...but Columbus,Nashville, St.L, Minnesota and Dallas three times ?
    15 of their 42 games now officially suck...I am so glad the Wild are out of the NW, Dallas cant buy a fan, Nashville and Columbus who gives a Fck ....

Congrats winnnipeg...Buy a team for 160 Million and get put in the worst div possible ...
    Boo fucking hoo. They got their team they so desperately wanted, now they want to hand-pick the division or conference or whatever they want to call it? That's bullshit.

Besides, if this thing was unanimously approved, the team can't be too upset about it. If Winnipeg can't support a team without "marquee" games, then maybe the Jets should just move to Hamilton.

And why would it make ANY sense for the Jets to be with the teams you mentioned (with the possible exception of the Leafs & Habs)? If you were to suggest one all-Canadian conference, that MIGHT make sense.
  • JTH wrote:
    Mudfest wrote:
    SoWinnipeg comes outthe Loser on this one by far..

They go from seeing Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburg, new york, boston , Philly 2x each at home, washington 3x at home to

Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas.

Ok Chicago Detroit are nice...but Columbus,Nashville, St.L, Minnesota and Dallas three times ?
    15 of their 42 games now officially suck...I am so glad the Wild are out of the NW, Dallas cant buy a fan, Nashville and Columbus who gives a Fck ....

Congrats winnnipeg...Buy a team for 160 Million and get put in the worst div possible ...
    Boo fucking hoo. They got their team they so desperately wanted, now they want to hand-pick the division or conference or whatever they want to call it? That's bullshit.

Besides, if this thing was unanimously approved, the team can't be too upset about it. If Winnipeg can't support a team without "marquee" games, then maybe the Jets should just move to Hamilton.

And why would it make ANY sense for the Jets to be with the teams you mentioned (with the possible exception of the Leafs & Habs)? If you were to suggest one all-Canadian conference, that MIGHT make sense.

Winnipeg is the only Central time zone team in Canada so they are bound to end up in some sort of awkward situation. WTF are you gonna do? Just keep booing Pronger every time he touches the puck for whatever reason. :?

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    So does this mean that after the first 2 rounds, the playoff pairing is determined based on record? No longer East Final - West Final...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    So does this mean that after the first 2 rounds, the playoff pairing is determined based on record? No longer East Final - West Final...

that's what i'm getting out of it....

which means, you could in theory have a toronto/philly final...or boston/philly
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sparky_fry wrote:
    I like it for the most part, i still think they need to iron out the whole playoffs though. the fact that 2 confs have 7 teams and the other 2 have 8 , is a little unfair as a team in the 7 team conf will have statistically easier chance to make the playoffs. Also in a 7 team conf, a team may finish with a losing record and make the playoffs.

I like the idea of the 4 confs during the year, but why not combine the 2 furthest east and 2 further west confs for playoff seeding.

ahh what do i care my team is in a conference with 7 :D

and both 7 team confrences are in teh east...this is some fucked up shit...

why not just move swap winnipeg and columbus/nashville and be done with it.

If they did that then what would they realign four years from now? Unless they feel another team may be moving in the near future?

that" why I think it was done this way...Phoenix is still not resolved and I can see them in Quebec city eventually.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    81 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

which means, you could in theory have a toronto/rangers final...or boston/rangers

Fixed
  • 81 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

which means, you could in theory have a toronto/philly final...or boston/philly

This issue is unresolved. But I sure hope it's a reseeding. The potential Finals matchups are thrilling.

DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

which means, you could in theory have a toronto/rangers final...or boston/rangers

Fixed

please self report your illegal post fixing.
    thanks
    mgmt trainee

:P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

thanks
    mgmt trainee

• 81 wrote:
    thanks
    mgmt trainee

Not too mention absurd delusions. :lol:

81 wrote:
    thanks
    mgmt trainee

81 wrote:
    thanks
    mgmt trainee

agreed.

they barely make the playoffs in years they make the playoffs, and when they do make them, they are quickly bounced.

yeah, they are playing well right now...but how long will that last.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    they barely make the playoffs in years they make the playoffs, and when they do make them, they are quickly bounced.

But the future is bright and they have a really good goalie! :lol:

Our team only does well in the playoffs when it's something like a 7 seed. Kind of funny.

• JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Winnipeg is the only Central time zone team in Canada so they are bound to end up in some sort of awkward situation. WTF are you gonna do? Just keep booing Pronger every time he touches the puck for whatever reason. :?
    Exactly. Besides, geographically, most of the other teams make a lot of sense. Maybe not Dallas so much, but they used to be the North Stars, so there's that.

Also, when the Thrashers first moved, there was talk about Detroit jumping out of the Western and into the Eastern Conference with the as-yet-unnamed Winnipeg team taking the vacated spot in the West. Would that have been preferable? Of course not.