NHL dramatic realignment... thoughts?

Drop The Leash 10Drop The Leash 10 Posts: 7,011
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. -- The NHL's Board of Governors on Monday approved a radical realignment plan, eliminating the current two-conference, six-division setup in favor of a configuration that features four conferences based primarily on geography. Two conferences will have eight teams and the other two conferences will have seven teams.

The Board authorized Commissioner Gary Bettman to implement this proposal in Monday evening's vote, pending input from the National Hockey League Players' Association.

The vote, which required a two-thirds majority of the League's 30 governors, passed on the first of two days of meetings here at The Inn at Spanish Bay. The League's new structure will go into effect starting next season.

The makeup of the yet-to-be-named four conferences is as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

The four conferences are designed to alleviate geographic concerns among several current Western Conference teams that had been unhappy about their extensive travel through one, two, and sometimes even three time zones. Some of those teams argued that the late start of road games in the Pacific time zone were affecting fan interest, especially among younger fans.

The new alignment also enables the NHL to create a balanced schedule in which all teams will play each other at least twice every season, once at home and once on the road, giving fans a chance to see every team and superstar in the League. The remaining games will be played within the conferences.

In the seven-team conferences, teams would play six times -- three home, three away. In the eight-team Conferences, teams would play either five or six times in a season on a rotating basis; three teams would play each other six times and four teams would play each other five times. This process would reverse each season: An eight-team Conference member that plays an opponent six times in one season would play it five times the following season.

The top four teams in each Conference qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; the second-place team would play the third-place team. The four respective Conference champions would meet in the third round of the Playoffs, with the survivors playing for the Stanley Cup.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6048 ... L|NHL|home

I think it has potential. Defenitly smarter geographically speaking.
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    Well i can say i don't like it, but from what i've heard it's gonna happen
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    the florida and penn teams should switch
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    I like it....it will be fun battling Dem Canadians more often.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i love the balanced schedule

i hate the playoff set up.

it really should say 4 teams from each division....

i'd rather have the top 8 in each confrence.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I don't know. Seems stupid to have four conferences. Why not two conferences with two divisions each?

Semantics, I guess. Whatever.

Either way, the current setup is complete garbage, from a scheduling perspective. So the fact that every team will be played at least twice is a good thing.
  • I like it for the most part, i still think they need to iron out the whole playoffs though. the fact that 2 confs have 7 teams and the other 2 have 8 , is a little unfair as a team in the 7 team conf will have statistically easier chance to make the playoffs. Also in a 7 team conf, a team may finish with a losing record and make the playoffs.

I like the idea of the 4 confs during the year, but why not combine the 2 furthest east and 2 further west confs for playoff seeding.

ahh what do i care my team is in a conference with 7 :D
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    sparky_fry wrote:
    I like it for the most part, i still think they need to iron out the whole playoffs though. the fact that 2 confs have 7 teams and the other 2 have 8 , is a little unfair as a team in the 7 team conf will have statistically easier chance to make the playoffs. Also in a 7 team conf, a team may finish with a losing record and make the playoffs.

I like the idea of the 4 confs during the year, but why not combine the 2 furthest east and 2 further west confs for playoff seeding.

and both 7 team confrences are in teh east...this is some fucked up shit...

why not just move swap winnipeg and columbus/nashville and be done with it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    sparky_fry wrote:
    I like it for the most part, i still think they need to iron out the whole playoffs though. the fact that 2 confs have 7 teams and the other 2 have 8 , is a little unfair as a team in the 7 team conf will have statistically easier chance to make the playoffs. Also in a 7 team conf, a team may finish with a losing record and make the playoffs.

If they did that then what would they realign four years from now? Unless they feel another team may be moving in the near future?
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    I'm ok with it if it keeps travel time down for some teams...

I checked out the alignment.. no significant changes in terms of which teams play each other.

by the way.. if anyone has any recent Disney movies and they are not using the rewards points that come with them... let me know!!! :)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sparky_fry wrote:

If they did that then what would they realign four years from now? Unless they feel another team may be moving in the near future?

it would depend on who moves and where they move to
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    are they really going to name the the conferences a/b/c/d??

weak.
    rival. wrote:

weak.

The makeup of the yet-to-be-named four conferences is as follows

gotta go back to the classic names? right?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    81 wrote:
    rival. wrote:

weak.

ah, didn't see that. espn's article has it a-d without mention yet to be named.
    81 wrote:
    rival. wrote:

weak.

What were the old divsions? Patrick, Smythe, Norris, and what the hell was the other one?? Paging Dr. Google?

Edit*

Adams
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I don't see the thinking in putting the two Florida teams in there with Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Buffalo.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    81 wrote:
    rival. wrote:

weak.

I'd rather something like Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux and Orr conferences. That could work.
  • I like the fact that the 2 best teams in hockey will play each other for the stanley cup. Imagine some of the match-ups..
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    81 wrote:
    rival. wrote:

weak.

I'd rather something like Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux and Orr conferences. That could work.

what about Roy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I don't see the thinking in putting the two Florida teams in there with Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Buffalo.

I think they want to keep the two Florida teams in a division together for the rivalry, but, they also want to keep the 6 teams from the old Patrick division in the same division ... so, they can only add one team, not two ... thus, Carolina goes there (even though they were the Whalers).

Honestly, I like going back to this ... it really kicks up the rivalries.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Being a Ranger fan this alignment would be great for the team. Furthest team in the division is Carolina? Nice. 8-)
  • MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    edited December 2011
    SoWinnipeg comes outthe Loser on this one by far..

They go from seeing Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburg, new york, boston , Philly 2x each at home, washington 3x at home to

Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas.

Ok Chicago Detroit are nice...but Columbus,Nashville, St.L, Minnesota and Dallas three times ?
    15 of their 42 games now officially suck...I am so glad the Wild are out of the NW, Dallas cant buy a fan, Nashville and Columbus who gives a Fck ....

Congrats winnnipeg...Buy a team for 160 Million and get put in the worst div possible ...
    Post edited by Mudfest on
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    As a Bruins fan living in San Fran, it's a boon as the B's would be guaranteed to be here (well, San Jose) once a year ... instead of every other year.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    As a Bruins fan living in San Fran, it's a boon as the B's would be guaranteed to be here (well, San Jose) once a year ... instead of every other year.

agreed...well, Flyers fan in Chicago :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Mudfest wrote:

They go from seeing Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburg, new york, boston , Philly 2x each at home, washington 3x at home to

Ok Chicago Detroit are nice...but Columbus,Nashville, St.L, Minnesota and Dallas three times ?
    15 of their 42 games now officially suck...I am so glad the Wild are out of the NW, Dallas cant buy a fan, Nashville and Columbus who gives a Fck ....

Congrats winnnipeg...Buy a team for 160 Million and get put in the worst div possible ...

Hey a guy I played youth and high school hockey with played for Nashville so go easy on them!!
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I like the fact that the 2 best teams in hockey will play each other for the stanley cup. Imagine some of the match-ups..
    This is huge.
    Imagine if two regional rivals played for the cup? An original six final? NY/Bos? Tor/Mtl? Edm/Cal? :o
    I like the fact that the 2 best teams in hockey will play each other for the stanley cup. Imagine some of the match-ups..
    This is huge.
    Imagine if two regional rivals played for the cup? An original six final? NY/Bos? Tor/Mtl? Edm/Cal? :o

A Ranger/Bruin final would be too much to handle...in a good way! :D
    81 wrote:

Bettman said he's going to meet with GM's in the spring to decide if they'll re-seed for the third round, so it sounds like they couldn't find consensus on this...gonna be a big f'n squabble I'm sure. I do like the regional final potential tho.
    DS1119 wrote:

Ken Campbell on THN is sayin Phoenix to Markham (Toronto2)...possibly Quebec City....and I wouldn't be surprised if the Dallas situation doesn't improve, if we wouldn't see the new owner take them to La Belle province...but that's just me guessing at a West-East shift...
    81 wrote:

Bettman said he's going to meet with GM's in the spring to decide if they'll re-seed for the third round, so it sounds like they couldn't find consensus on this...gonna be a big f'n squabble I'm sure. I do like the regional final potential tho.
    DS1119 wrote:

Ken Campbell on THN is sayin Phoenix to Markham (Toronto2)...possibly Quebec City....and I wouldn't be surprised if the Dallas situation doesn't improve, if we wouldn't see the new owner take them to La Belle province...but that's just me guessing at a West-East shift...

I don't see the Phoenix thing happening because of what happened to keep the team there...I could see Dallas however. Toronto should have another team anyway. The market could more than support it. I know it would piss the Leafs and Sabres off but it would be for the good of the league.
    81 wrote:

what about Roy
    :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Being a Ranger fan this alignment would be great for the team. Furthest team in the division is Carolina? Nice. 8-)
    Not positive, but wouldnt the home and home with every team make it at least as much travel as they're currently doing?
    Mudfest wrote:

Ya, that's the shits for you guys...but look on the bright side, it won't be a divisional alignment with the Oil, like the smythe of old...I was kinda hoping we'd get our old first round whipping boys back for the next dynasty ;)
    Seriously tho...the home and home thing is the only fair way to do this. Western fans get screwed with marquee eastern teams.

Wonder how the players will vote? I think they'll go for it.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    81 wrote:

what about Roy

I'd love to get Roy in there, but the conference in which he was most successful (most Cups), would have to get Gretzky.