Disturbing Crossfit video...

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
A few weeks ago I had asked about Crossfit excercise. This video was released on facebook by my local Crossfit gym and it's already making it's circles around the fitness websites and forums. I really can't believe a gym would be proud of posting this video. It's actually disturbing to see the members, especially the young girls, doing this "workout". The first girl actually drops the weight bar on her head if you watch!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDyxXyf6UU
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    How is that even a "workout"? Looks like they're just trying to do a Max, which isn't really a workout but rather a way to measure how far your workouts have progressed. Managing to get up a huge amount of weight once (or for most of them not even once) isn't going to really benefit you. From the looks of it that is way too much weight for almost all of those people. They need less weight and to be getting multiple reps in, not just trying to jerk up too much weight once.

Remind you I have no idea what this crossfit thing is, and this video can't be the entire workout, because it's not even really a workout. Surely there has to be more to it than this.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    How is that even a "workout"? Looks like they're just trying to do a Max, which isn't really a workout but rather a way to measure how far your workouts have progressed. Managing to get up a huge amount of weight once (or for most of them not even once) isn't going to really benefit you. From the looks of it that is way too much weight for almost all of those people. They need less weight and to be getting multiple reps in, not just trying to jerk up too much weight once.

Remind you I have no idea what this crossfit thing is, and this video can't be the entire workout, because it's not even really a workout. Surely there has to be more to it than this.

This is one of the workouts but their form is just dangerously wrong. I've been reading fitness forums today about this video and come to find out the male voice you hear is actually the coach! :o How as a coach do you allow one of your members to be put into a position to drop a weight bar on their head?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,715
    The potential for injury, the future arthritis in wrists and hands and shoulders- these alone make this video disturbing. This is anything but a well balanced exercise routine. :thumbdown:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,966
    It has to be some kind of joke. 4 cookies on each end of the bar totals 405 lbs.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    It has to be some kind of joke. 4 cookies on each end of the bar totals 405 lbs.

115lbs with the bar. They are rubber plates.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,966
    DS1119 wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

115lbs with the bar. They are rubber
    plates.

Giant 8 lb rubber plates seems odd. Maybe I haven't been to enough gyms, but even rubber coated ones I've seen maintain the same universal sizing.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

115lbs with the bar. They are rubber
    plates.

Giant 8 lb rubber plates seems odd. Maybe I haven't been to enough gyms, but even rubber coated ones I've seen maintain the same universal sizing.

I think it's probably a mental thing maybe? Allows the person to think they are lifting more weight than are? Who knows?
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I think that the risks are pretty evident, esp. when they had to form their own insurance group in order to get insured: http://www.crossfitrrg.com/

Exercises that require such a specific technique each time are not meant to be done with that much repetition. One LITTLE mistake.....you're screwed. I can only imagine what percentage the risk of any normal lift would increase when doing them in a Crossfit fashion.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Okay, that was disturbing. I understand it's appeal but their form looks horribly wrong! I'm by no means an expert but I think any of those girls could have easily injured themselves. Some of those guys don't look too good either.

And what's up with the 3-legged dog that's just wandering about? Geez.

A friend of mine is into CrossFit the way we are in to Pearl Jam :D She swears by it. So I don't have anything against CrossFit but that video was horrendous.

Don't know which is worse, that or The Forever Lazy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2p7AiNX9g
    :lol::lol: Just saw this on TV. "It will be the talk of your next tailgate".
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Suziemay wrote:
    A friend of mine is into CrossFit the way we are in to Pearl Jam :D She swears by it. So I don't have anything against CrossFit but that video was horrendous.

Don't know which is worse, that or The Forever Lazy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2p7AiNX9g

My friend is the same way. We tease her about it. The tone in her body is legit though. I'm not against it- but I just wouldn't choose it for myself. People can do whatever the fuck they want. I'm not willing to risk it personally.

Also, I saw The Forever Lazy commercial too. I stopped what I was doing to watch. My favorite part was the part where it mentioned that blankets may leave you too exposed and it showed the lady standing up and her lower back was showing. :lol: ....afterwards I took my dog for a run. I knew at that point I needed to turn off the TV.
    Suziemay wrote:

I love the top rated comment:

"forever lazy + outdoors = forever alone for the rest of your life"
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Suziemay wrote:

I love the top rated comment:

"forever lazy + outdoors = forever alone for the rest of your life"

I dunno, those people tailgating look pretty darn happy if you ask me. :D
    So upon further research this is the way they teach pull ups. Using the person's own words he "uses momentum"???? Momentum in excercise? First of all you're cheating and fooling yourself, but you are also causing major physical damage. The more I look at this workout...gym...cult whatever the hell they call themselves I'm amazed...and not in a good way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZaHzd6qAY
    DS1119 wrote:
    So upon further research this is the way they teach pull ups. Using the person's own words he "uses momentum"???? Momentum in excercise? First of all you're cheating and fooling yourself, but you are also causing major physical damage. The more I look at this workout...gym...cult whatever the hell they call themselves I'm amazed...and not in a good way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZaHzd6qAY

Yeah, that looks like somebody could easily pull a shoulder out of socket or something.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    A few weeks ago I had asked about Crossfit excercise. This video was released on facebook by my local Crossfit gym and it's already making it's circles around the fitness websites and forums. I really can't believe a gym would be proud of posting this video. It's actually disturbing to see the members, especially the young girls, doing this "workout". The first girl actually drops the weight bar on her head if you watch!!

Are you sure this isn't some kind of a joke? This is not a work out and the form is horrible. This kind of "workout" can do nothing but cause injuries. Very irresponsible.
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Are you sure this isn't some kind of a joke? This is not a work out and the form is horrible. This kind of "workout" can do nothing but cause injuries. Very irresponsible.

Not a joke at all.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Do not judge Crossfit as a whole based on this video. Across the nation, there are many many many Crossfit gyms that teach and endorse SAFE movements. This does not look to be one of them. Seriously do not knock Crossfit because of what this gym is teaching. And stop calling it a cult too. That's just ignorant. Cult mentality maybe, but not a cult. Crossfit at its basis is nothing more than combining multiple movements into a single workout. Everything can be scaled to the individual's ability, and when coached properly, is incredible safe, and extremely effective.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • EZ1221C wrote:
    Do not judge Crossfit as a whole based on this video. Across the nation, there are many many many Crossfit gyms that teach and endorse SAFE movements. This does not look to be one of them. Seriously do not knock Crossfit because of what this gym is teaching. And stop calling it a cult too. That's just ignorant. Cult mentality maybe, but not a cult. Crossfit at its basis is nothing more than combining multiple movements into a single workout. Everything can be scaled to the individual's ability, and when coached properly, is incredible safe, and extremely effective.

I agree. Cross fit done correctly is very effective. It's good for endurance athletes because it lends itself to building strength and speed. I am a cyclist and cross fit is a great compliment in my training especially in the winter when you can't ride as much. I also know a lot of triathletes who do cross fit.
    EZ1221C wrote:

I'm not trying to insult you so please don't take offense. All I can say is that weight lifting video is horrible and those pull ups aren't any better. As someone who has dislocated their shoulder enough that I had to have surgery and my range of motion is about 60% I know bad shit for the shoulders...and those pull ups are horrible. Using momentum so you can do more and faster pullups...what's the point?

And the cult thing, I'm sorry...but alot of the Crossfit sites I visited today referred to themselves a s a cult. Please expalin?
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Upon further research the male voice you hear in the first video is the owner and main coach for the gym. :o

That's pretty scary in my opinion that he was actually watching that and cheering it on. Wow.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    DS1119 wrote:
    I'm not trying to insult you so please don't take offense. All I can say is that weight lifting video is horrible and those pull ups aren't any better. As someone who has dislocated their shoulder enough that I had to have surgery and my range of motion is about 60% I know bad shit for the shoulders...and those pull ups are horrible. Using momentum so you can do more and faster pullups...what's the point?

And the cult thing, I'm sorry...but alot of the Crossfit sites I visited today referred to themselves a s a cult. Please expalin?
    I understand that video is horrible. I am not trying to defend that in any way. I personally feel that the video you posted was probably the result of some very very poor coaching. Can't blame Crossfit for that, blame the coach. I have never seen that movement coached the way it was in the video. That looked to be a clean and jerk, with way too much weight for those girls, along with some poor coaching on form trying to get the bar up. They are using a traditional deadlift grip to clean, which causes that awkward and extremely unsafe position in the middle where they have to switch the grip. To me, that entire video is an awful example of what Crossfit is.
    As for the pullups, it is really personally preference. I know some people that do them that way, and many who do not. The majority of Crossfit gyms I have been to do not teach that method or teach it in a limited capacity, but I am sure it is prevalent. Across the board, I have been told that modified pullups in the form of band assistance, or replacing them all together with an exercise like ring rows are better if you cannot do dead hang pullups rather than do pullups with the "kip".

As to the "cult", in all the Crossfit gyms I have been too, I have never heard it referred to as a cult. Cult to me has an extremely negative connotation. Everyone really has each other's backs, to the extent that it is more of a community than a cult.

Crossfit is not bad. What's bad and dangerous is poor coaching, incorrect movement, and ego. If done correctly, Crossfit is extremely extremely effective and safe and can be an awesome form of exercise.
    Here are some links if you want to read up or watch a little more safe exercise.
    http://www.crossfit.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M&feature=related
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossFit
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    Thank you EZ for some insight. I watched your links and they looked pretty cool. What I liked was they were contolled (except for those pull up excercises in the second video...I still don't understand that). I'm all for intense excercise as long as it's controlled. I had a coach in high school tell me one time it's better to do 10 sit ups properly that 100 improperly. I truly believe that.
    brianlux wrote:
    The potential for injury, the future arthritis in wrists and hands and shoulders- these alone make this video disturbing. This is anything but a well balanced exercise routine. :thumbdown:

Sorry I missed your post earlier...yes it's quite disturbing actually.
  • i haven't read through all of the posts, but i'm a crossfitter and it is easily the best workout regimen i have ever dedicated myself to. just youtube "crossfit games" and you'll see what it's all about.

it's cult-like in the same way that pearl jam fans spending hours a day on the official message board is cult-like. ;)

that said, i have never seen this odd method that these people are using to clean the bar off the ground... i'll lean forward sometimes in the middle of a WOD called the Bear Complex, with the bar "resting" in my waist area, but this leaning back thing that they're doing while they fix their grip is odd looking. but just so you guys know, that is not nearly as much weight as you may think it is.

bottom line - no need to hate on crossfit until you've visited your local box!
    NoCode416 wrote:
    i haven't read through all of the posts, but i'm a crossfitter and it is easily the best workout regimen i have ever dedicated myself to. just youtube "crossfit games" and you'll see what it's all about.

it's cult-like in the same way that pearl jam fans spending hours a day on the official message board is cult-like. ;)

that said, i have never seen this odd method that these people are using to clean the bar off the ground... i'll lean forward sometimes in the middle of a WOD called the Bear Complex, with the bar "resting" in my waist area, but this leaning back thing that they're doing while they fix their grip is odd looking. but just so you guys know, that is not nearly as much weight as you may think it is.

I'm not hating on Crossfit it's just the video I posted...if that's some of the stuff being taught...scary.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    NoCode416 wrote:
    i haven't read through all of the posts, but i'm a crossfitter and it is easily the best workout regimen i have ever dedicated myself to. just youtube "crossfit games" and you'll see what it's all about.

I'm not hating on Crossfit it's just the video I posted...if that's some of the stuff being taught...scary.

sorry, didn't mean for the last line to be taken negatively... but rather, motivationally (word?)! crossfit is awesome. i've never met a person who left crossfit for any reason other than cost (typically $150 per month for unlimited vs. regular gym $50 per month).
    NoCode416 wrote:

sorry, didn't mean for the last line to be taken negatively... but rather, motivationally (word?)! crossfit is awesome. i've never met a person who left crossfit for any reason other than cost (typically $150 per month for unlimited vs. regular gym $50 per month).[/quote]

No problem but tell you what, if I walked into a Crossfit and saw what I saw in the viedo going on I'd do a 180 and leave.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    NoCode416 wrote:

sorry, didn't mean for the last line to be taken negatively... but rather, motivationally (word?)! crossfit is awesome. i've never met a person who left crossfit for any reason other than cost (typically $150 per month for unlimited vs. regular gym $50 per month).

No problem but tell you what, if I walked into a Crossfit and saw what I saw in the viedo going on I'd do a 180 and leave.[/quote]

as would i.
    NoCode416 wrote:
    as would i.

Good to hear it's not some blind loyalty amongst members.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    ummm.... that shit looks really heavy. A young girl like that was able to lift that? I don't even think I would be able to do that.

How heavy are those weights?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09