Options

*** Denver II Fanviews 7/3 Here ***

Comments

• Options
    lluukkiinnlluukkiinn Posts: 93
    denverfan wrote:
    Great set list I thought, I dont think I've seen Jeff quite this way before. I think someone mentioned it from Sunday's review, I didn't notice until last night...Man he's an animal all of a sudden!

I will tell you I thought the crowd wasn't near as energetic as Sunday's show...not even close. But I will say this; I gave my 10c seats to my mom and dad as they were in town and wanted to see the show, I bought tickets from a scalper at the 300 level, decent and at a huge discount. The show was no where near as packed as Sundays show. I bought 49 dollar face for 20 bucks a piece. The crowd at the 300 level was bogus (most of them), all sitting down, one guy almost got his ass kicked by asking me to sit down. The type of fan that when he realizes the bands playing Daughter he lets out a horse cry and stands up to rock that one song..yeah that fucking guy, and if you were that guy in section 326 you should do us all a favor, have a few drinks then drive home! The sound up top isnt so great also, the echo from the back wall isn't the best.

Anyway, I thought it was a great show, Petty played the exact set list as last night, I did loose a little respect for him. And why the fuck are you touring before your album hits the stores? I still haven't figured that out. While Petty was on I hit the pisser and said "exact same set list as last night you have to be fucking kidding me." And three dudes all turn around andask "shut up, no way...does PJ come back on stage at all!?!" Of course Ved comes out for the two familar tunes and they all say they'll stay for that.

Also WAY SHITTY THE POSTERS WERE EXACTLY THE SAME...Not even a color change? Why did that happen??? I've never seen that before?

Whatever, I had a great two nights with these guys, they are rocking hard and also gave mention that touring with the heartbreakers have given them insight on how to rock for another 15 years together etc. What a great two nights, thanks from Denver!
    I was in section 326 too!! There was only like 4 of us actually standing up and dancing, I was one of them. I know what guys your talking about... and then after Black" came one, they kept going "doo doo dut doo doodle doo" over and over after the song ended. I wanted to punch them.

ps- I was waiting for this thread all weekend, someone didn't sticky it so I could find it!!
    denver 7/2/06 & 7/3/06, chicago 8/5/07
  • Options
    denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    lluukkiinn wrote:
    I was in section 326 too!! There was only like 4 of us actually standing up and dancing, I was one of them. I know what guys your talking about... and then after Black" came one, they kept going "doo doo dut doo doodle doo" over and over after the song ended. I wanted to punch them.

ps- I was waiting for this thread all weekend, someone didn't sticky it so I could find it!!

I think the upper section was more of a Petty crowd, where as the night before it was totally a PJ crowd in the lowers...or Petty Fans who new what great music was...The first night, from where I could see, the crowd as nuts up top. My parents said they had a great time tho...they should, gave em the best tix ever GOSH!!!!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • Options
    shepssheps Posts: 1
    I travelled a great distance to see this denver show, all the way from Edmonton, Canada. It was the only show of the tour I could get to this time around because of my work schedule. Either way, I was astounded, again. I've been a die-hard fan since I was 11 (I'm 25 now) and every time I see this band I remember why. I couldn't believe we got Leash and Why Go, and I was really happy they played Gone, my favorite track from the new record. Also having Benmont play the keys was really special, despite the reasons why he played. The biggest difference between the two bands' performances was the spontenaity that PJ has, never the same show twice, whereas so many people in my section (124) saw both shows and told me that Petty's set was nearly identical save for the extended jam on "it's good to be king" and the magical "rainy day woman" which was the sort of spectacle rock 'n' roll dreams are made of. I really hope that finds it's way onto the bootleg. Petty played well, but PJ kicked ass.

However the event that made the show even more special was how far from home I was and how incredible the fans truly are. I ended up at the pre-party and ccfa auction, entirely by accident, but it was like nothing I had ever seen before. I met a guy from mexico, another canadian who flew in all the way from halifax, and oddly enough, a table full of edmontonians who were in town both nights, and planning to do las vegas and san diego as well. The event itself was really cool, with so many friendly people who love the band as much as I do if not more. It's great to see fans giving back to a band who have spent their entire career trying to do the right thing, supporting so many important political and social causes. By doing these pre-parties, we as fans are showing how much we care, not just as fans, but as active, socially aware people and that is a truly awe inspiring concept. Thank you denver and the organizers of the party, and thank you PJ fans. All I want to do is get back and the road and do it all over again
    If nothing is everything I'll have it all

Vancouver 5/30/03, Calgary 09/04/05, Edmonton 09/05/05, Denver 07/03/06
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Amen, Sheps. Pre-show party was awesome. I was probably sitting right by you too....Me and my buddy were right next to the table full of Canadians. It was great to know that we're all helping out however we can. Plus, seeing someone happy to win some of the stuff I donated made me feel really great. I love to see people get excited about Pearl Jam. The pre-show party only made me want to see more shows that much more. Good job everyone and thanks to those who made it happen. I'll see some of you in Vegas tomorrow.
  • Options
    denverfan wrote:
    Great set list I thought, I dont think I've seen Jeff quite this way before. I think someone mentioned it from Sunday's review, I didn't notice until last night...Man he's an animal all of a sudden!

I will tell you I thought the crowd wasn't near as energetic as Sunday's show...not even close. But I will say this; I gave my 10c seats to my mom and dad as they were in town and wanted to see the show, I bought tickets from a scalper at the 300 level, decent and at a huge discount. The show was no where near as packed as Sundays show. I bought 49 dollar face for 20 bucks a piece. The crowd at the 300 level was bogus (most of them), all sitting down, one guy almost got his ass kicked by asking me to sit down. The type of fan that when he realizes the bands playing Daughter he lets out a horse cry and stands up to rock that one song..yeah that fucking guy, and if you were that guy in section 326 you should do us all a favor, have a few drinks then drive home! The sound up top isnt so great also, the echo from the back wall isn't the best.

Anyway, I thought it was a great show, Petty played the exact set list as last night, I did loose a little respect for him. And why the fuck are you touring before your album hits the stores? I still haven't figured that out. While Petty was on I hit the pisser and said "exact same set list as last night you have to be fucking kidding me." And three dudes all turn around andask "shut up, no way...does PJ come back on stage at all!?!" Of course Ved comes out for the two familar tunes and they all say they'll stay for that.

Also WAY SHITTY THE POSTERS WERE EXACTLY THE SAME...Not even a color change? Why did that happen??? I've never seen that before?

Whatever, I had a great two nights with these guys, they are rocking hard and also gave mention that touring with the heartbreakers have given them insight on how to rock for another 15 years together etc. What a great two nights, thanks from Denver!

Yeah the fucking bitch behind me too who told me to sit down, wtf, Rite when black comes on than she gets into it, starts screaming WOOOO BLACK!!! i wanted to turn around and uppercut her in her fucking mouth, god would that have felt good, I was dying to stand up for Gone!!! but didnt wanna be a prick, +i am underage and was under the influence with a beer in my hand, But serously its a concert, I dont give a shit if you like 1 song or all of them you have to cheer them on all the way through, I just feel soo much better when i stand up i got more enegy flowing and i could just sing and dance, + i knew every fucking song played in that concert and loved them all!!!, also after petty played free falling i split early because i needed to take shuttle bus back to hotel(lol), Thanks alot guys and cant wait to go to more concerts!!!
    06/29/98
    06/18/03
    05/17/06
    07/03/06
    8/21/08 - Ed Solo
    08/23/09
  • Options
    denverfan wrote:
    I think the upper section was more of a Petty crowd, where as the night before it was totally a PJ crowd in the lowers...or Petty Fans who new what great music was...The first night, from where I could see, the crowd as nuts up top. My parents said they had a great time tho...they should, gave em the best tix ever GOSH!!!!
    Yeah I had 10c tickets for the 1st night, and then just crappy nose bleed tickets for the 2nd show. Totally a Petty crowd...like there was 16 yr old girls with Petty shirts on...How can they think that is kool? haha
  • Options
    chaslilchaslil Westminster CO Posts: 306
    I saw where there was a scan of the first night's setlist. What about Denver II? Ed mentioned that they were arguing about the encore, so I wondered what was the original plan.

Thanks- Both nights were great. Even though it cost more money, I liked getting two nights of PJ!
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • Options
    jkb708jkb708 Posts: 10
    As a first timer, I couldn't have asked for a better show. Shorter, yes, but worth every penny. I enjoyed the setlist, particularly the Long Road opener, SOLAT, and Gone, and was LOVING the encore. And seeing the entire band with Petty doing Dylan was a once in a lifetime moment.

I understand those of you who don't like hearing some of the same songs over and over (Black, Even Flow, Betterman, etc.) but you have to remember there are always going to be first timers who deserve to hear those. Personally, if they play Even Flow like that everytime, they can play it twice a night for all I care.

And to Eric - enjoy the rest of the tour! I hope your knee holds up!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I posted this in another thread, but ... yeah, it wasn't the greatest PJ show of all time. But that said, there are moments from that show that will stay with me my entire life.

Finally got to hear Long Road after waiting 11 years. Finally got to hear Leash, after waiting longer.

Come Back gave me chills. Why Go was played like the entire band had its hair on fire. SOLAT was an obvious audible ... and a good one. "So You Wanna ..." is gonna be one of my favorite covers if they keep it up sans Heartbreakers. It was on that song (I think) that Jeff and Mike spent the last bit chasing each other in a circle as they played. It was a fun moment.

Ed singing on "The Waiting" is sooooo good. I wish it were on the boots. He's way into it ... uses some of those traditional ed hand gestures and, in spots, also plays with the vocal melodies. Like Tom said to introduce the song, "This is one of our favorite old songs. But you've never heard it until you've heard Eddie Vedder sing it."

And then, the final encore. Ed singing on American Girl is good, not suprisingly. but the Rainy Day Women encore was sublime. Mike, Jeff (yup) and Matt (yup) were all on guitar. Stone played tamborine and drank a beer. Ed traded verses with Petty. Just seeing like 11 dudes crammed on stage like sardines jamming out to that song and 20,000 people screaming along with the chorus ("Everybody must get stoned!!!!" will stick with me as long as I live.

My wife went to Night 2 with me, just because she loves me and likes some of Petty's older stuff. As we were about to fall asleep that night she goes, "Wanna know something weird? I kind of liked Pearl Jam better."

I fell asleep with a smile on my face that night.

So, was it worth $100 a piece? Damn right.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    why isnt this a sticky thread yet?!! it's driving me mad looking for it over and over!
  • Options
    lluukkiinn wrote:
    why isnt this a sticky thread yet?!! it's driving me mad looking for it over and over!

I know. And not enough people are posting in it.
  • Options
    kristobkristob Posts: 4
    I had a blast! Though, I was in 320. Mostly because I didn't want to pay that much to see Petty. I have respect for the guy and all, but I'm a PJhead 100%. THe audience around me was pretty lame, but that's to be expected. Despite the short setlist (curses!), we got a damn good one. I was pleasently surprised. Nobody behind me to tell me to sit down either.

It was a great night all and all. I wouldn't have seen TP otherwise, and it's nice to have gotten the chance, I suppose. Eddie was so excited when he announcd Tom was coming out next. It was great; he was all giddy when he was up on stage with him too. It definitely helped me get into the show.

Yeah, so I hope to get the chance to see them again, but I hope to God it's not going to be another 3 years from now. And seriously, when's the next time they're going to play Yellow Ledbetter in Denver? They didn't do it 3 years ago, and they didn't do it now. Gah!

Also, I just thought I'd point out that 3 years ago was sold out at the Pepsi Center, and now with TP, they were probably a 1000 or 2000 shy of filling it up...

ALSO, when will they learn that the Pepsi Center's acoustics are horrible?! Red Rocks is the greatest venue in the entire U.S., and I've always wanted to see them there. Granted it only holds 10000 (vs. Pepsi Center's 15000), but it's just amazing. Every show I've seen there has ben incredible. The Dead are known for pointing out "the magic" of that place EVERY time they perform there, and it's true. It's really an amazing experience.

So that's pretty muc all I've got to say. I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the 1st show, but my dad had already bought me a ticket to Taj Mahal, Ratdog, and SCI. It's a bit hard to turn down a free concert, but I've gotta admit, after seeing that show, I wished I had been there for PJ.

Rock on.
  • Options
    i cant explain the energy of this show. i was there both nights. first night in the stands and this night on the floor. so i will not explain my pearl jam experience; one word 'WHAAAAT!!' I will explain a funny phenomenon i witnessed in TP. Love their music and they deserve all the attention and they are obviously having a great and fun tour. However i was kind of amused at how after every song Tom acts like it was an encore. raising has hands up in a V. just one of those things you only see at a live show, great rock n roll!!
  • Options
    cam21cam21 Posts: 5
    My two cents and random thoughts

For me personally these two shows have probably been the two greatest concert experiences in my live. And I have been going to concerts for a looooooong time. Part of the reason these two shows were so great was for some what personal/spiritual reasons. -So happy to hear Gone on the second night….

I haven’t seen anybody posting any of the in between song chatter so I thought I’d post some paraphrased stuff . This is the best my fuzzy memory can recall so someone correct me if they remember it better or have anything to add.

I thought it was really decent that EV paid some sincere respect to Tom Petty several times thought out the two nights.

As he was encouraging the crowd to clap along on night two, I believe it was “Come on Colorado, don’t be shy. We’re the warm up band. We’re warming ya up!” Several times he talked about it being an honor to do the shows with TP and giving a lot of respect for Mike Campbell and Bedmont Tench when they took to the stage.

On the second night he relayed some wisdom that TP had shared with him regarding how a band can stay together for 30 years. TP told him that the band simply had to be “best mates.” He agreed that his band were “best mates” but…….“some of us are harder to get along with than others” as he slowly raised his hand up over his head and pointed directly down to himself. He mentioned something about knowing they would be able to stay together for another 14 years.

On the first night he went into the origins of Even Flow and congratulated Denver on having the lowest homeless population of any major city in America.

I’ve never heard Eddie’s voice sound better especially up here at altitude. I think in the RS article he mentioned doing yoga. Yoga can be incredibly powerful for building strong lungs. I’ve been a long time Tom Petty fan too but The Waiting has never sounded better.

I’m a little shocked that more people haven’t been posting more excited reviews about the all out jam at the end of night two. THIS WAS AN ABSOLUTLY UNBELIVEABLE INSANE INCREDIBLE JAM that I was honored to be able to witness. It seemed to me that this was the pinnacle of a kind of passing of the torch. I can’t imagine that TP will be touring for too many more years and it seems like PJ is just getting their second wind. Yoda letting Luke take over two sacred songs like American Girl and The Waiting had to be a great experience on this all encompassing trip. :)

It was so wonderful to see so many Canadians and Oiler fans in attendance. I hope Denver treated you well and that you had a safe journey home or to your next destination.
  • Options
    denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    Hey Cam...of course we're cordial to Oiler fans now...its the damn off season! :)
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    lluukkiinn wrote:

No Sticky??
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    anyone else keep checking the download site for this bad boy to be posted?? looking forward to hearing what ed said about insignificance since i was in the last row in 316 and people started yelling/talking and all i got was "military"

anyway - im not the biggest PJ fan, but the way they treat their fans with SBDs , the fan club, and most of all - varied sets - makes me more of one everytime i see them
  • Options
    ben_taylor wrote:
    anyone else keep checking the download site for this bad boy to be posted?? looking forward to hearing what ed said about insignificance since i was in the last row in 316 and people started yelling/talking and all i got was "military"

anyway - im not the biggest PJ fan, but the way they treat their fans with SBDs , the fan club, and most of all - varied sets - makes me more of one everytime i see them

He introduced "Insignificance" by saying "this is a seattle song." then explained that Boeing ws headquartered there, and though it's nice that they contribute to the economy and provide jobs for a whole bunch of people there, they also make bombs.

of course, you'll have to get the boot to get the direct quote :)
  • Options
    bootlegs2.pearljam.com the denver 7/2 & 7/3 bootleg has been posted 11 bucks for 2(mp3)! already into the 3rd song of night 2(severed hand) and it came out awesome! In my opinion the MP3 is just as good as the flac, Make sure you guys check it out!
    thanks alot
    06/29/98
    06/18/03
    05/17/06
    07/03/06
    8/21/08 - Ed Solo
    08/23/09
  • Options
    RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
    First off, thanks to fellow 10c member, Miguel, for hooking me up with his extra ticket. I never planned on being in town for night 2 in denver but that changed and fortunately this good soul was here to help me out.

Now to my night 2 review. I really liked night 1 except I could tell the shorten set list held the guys back...absolutely no improvs and I could just see and feel the guys drooling to do an improv, esp on Black so that was my only disaapointment for the evening. Otherwise, as objectively as I can state, night 1 was super tight.

On to night2. I will get ripped for this. I don't fuckin care. But like what you hear on American Idol (fuckin admit it you've watched it-move on) Song Choice was key and I think PJ just missed the mark. If this was your first show then they didn't miss shit. They played some major hits and rarities and were tight. BUT if you (a) have been to some shows before or (b) went to the previous night, I actually agree with Diamond Jelly (who has been given too much shit). I was like, OK, on night 1 I heard WWS, Severed Hand and Comatose off the new album. So night 2 looking forward to Life Wasted, Marker in the Sand, Inside Job--but nada. Played WWS and Severed Hand again. Disappointed. Yes Comeback and Unemployable. Yes, that's my subjective position. But I agree with whoeover posted hearing Watsed Reprise with no Life Wasted is a major __ tease.

The rest of the show--they were tight. It was just song choice for me. Lots of repeats on the "hits" (Betterman, evenflow, etc). I would have loved to hear an "I Got Shit", "Release" "In Hiding" or "Yellow Ledbetter" but no can do. I have been to about 8 shows and just found it good (as opposes to "very good" and "religious experience"), mainly just due to song choice. Down was nice. Leash and Why Go--very cool. But the repeats and the Rock and Roll Star again at the end?. It was kind of a plateau-peak-plateau-peak-plateau evening for this PJ fan. No real valleys but every time I thought it was up there it came back to earth.

My two cents.
  • Options
    RITFWinCO wrote:
    First off, thanks to fellow 10c member, Miguel, for hooking me up with his extra ticket. I never planned on being in town for night 2 in denver but that changed and fortunately this good soul was here to help me out.

Now to my night 2 review. I really liked night 1 except I could tell the shorten set list held the guys back...absolutely no improvs and I could just see and feel the guys drooling to do an improv, esp on Black so that was my only disaapointment for the evening. Otherwise, as objectively as I can state, night 1 was super tight.

On to night2. I will get ripped for this. I don't fuckin care. But like what you hear on American Idol (fuckin admit it you've watched it-move on) Song Choice was key and I think PJ just missed the mark. If this was your first show then they didn't miss shit. They played some major hits and rarities and were tight. BUT if you (a) have been to some shows before or (b) went to the previous night, I actually agree with Diamond Jelly (who has been given too much shit). I was like, OK, on night 1 I heard WWS, Severed Hand and Comatose off the new album. So night 2 looking forward to Life Wasted, Marker in the Sand, Inside Job--but nada. Played WWS and Severed Hand again. Disappointed. Yes Comeback and Unemployable. Yes, that's my subjective position. But I agree with whoeover posted hearing Watsed Reprise with no Life Wasted is a major __ tease.

The rest of the show--they were tight. It was just song choice for me. Lots of repeats on the "hits" (Betterman, evenflow, etc). I would have loved to hear an "I Got Shit", "Release" "In Hiding" or "Yellow Ledbetter" but no can do. I have been to about 8 shows and just found it good (as opposes to "very good" and "religious experience"), mainly just due to song choice. Down was nice. Leash and Why Go--very cool. But the repeats and the Rock and Roll Star again at the end?. It was kind of a plateau-peak-plateau-peak-plateau evening for this PJ fan. No real valleys but every time I thought it was up there it came back to earth.

My two cents.

I don't neccesarily mind the repeats. And the repeats they did choose were good ones. Would I rather have heard "I Got Shit" than "Corduroy?" You betcha.

Was I belting "The waiting drove me mad ..." along with 15,000 other fuckers? You betcha.

I thought it was a great show. Night 1 was probably better. But Night 2 was great in its own way. Heard a lot of shit I've never heard in 15 years as a PJ fan. So that's always nice. And I guess that's why I can't really bitch about song selection.

Long Road was one of two old songs I just HAD to have this tour (Release is the other). Other than that, Leash, Down, Why Go were all good to scratch off the list.
  • Options
    I don't neccesarily mind the repeats. And the repeats they did choose were good ones. Would I rather have heard "I Got Shit" than "Corduroy?" You betcha.

Was I belting "The waiting drove me mad ..." along with 15,000 other fuckers? You betcha.

I thought it was a great show. Night 1 was probably better. But Night 2 was great in its own way. Heard a lot of shit I've never heard in 15 years as a PJ fan. So that's always nice. And I guess that's why I can't really bitch about song selection.

Long Road was one of two old songs I just HAD to have this tour (Release is the other). Other than that, Leash, Down, Why Go were all good to scratch off the list.

Listen they were very tight. I just have had those songs in my repertoire. I know I shouldn;t complain but those songs in the context of my priotr shows and esp the previous nights just made it less exciting than the others. Yeah i think if I could have had one of the three songs I mentioned I may have been more psyched. I actually have heard Lng Road 2x before. I don't know, but right after a song that energized me, the next one just wasn't that for me. May have had to do more with what i was hoping to hear.
  • Options
    RITFWinCO wrote:
    Listen they were very tight. I just have had those songs in my repertoire. I know I shouldn;t complain but those songs in the context of my priotr shows and esp the previous nights just made it less exciting than the others. Yeah i think if I could have had one of the three songs I mentioned I may have been more psyched. I actually have heard Lng Road 2x before. I don't know, but right after a song that energized me, the next one just wasn't that for me. May have had to do more with what i was hoping to hear.

yeah, I'm not arguing with you. just discussing :)
  • Options
    yeah, I'm not arguing with you. just discussing :)

I know.
  • Options
    bigirwinbigirwin Posts: 7
    I thought the second show was much better show than the first night - and I had better seats for the first show. Getting Bee Girl and Bush Leaguer was a nice surprise on night one, but I thought both bands put on a better show the second night.
    I hadn't seen Long Road before, so that was cool as the opener. Never get tired of Corduroy, even though it gets played a lot. I thought Benmont did a great job with Black both nights. Would have liked to see him take a shot at Crazy Mary, but not too disappointed about not seeing another cover at a shortened set.
    The encore was freaking great. Come back is about the only song I hadn't yet heard off the new album. Leash was awesome! I felt so lucky to hear it after getting hopes dashed in Grand Rapids (best show ever) and Cleveland only to learn they busted it out in Boston and the next few shows after that. Why Go was cool because I had it in my head all day and actually had to listen to it on the way to the show.
    I thought TP & the HBs were much better the second night as well. I saw a lot of people sitting for them the first night (myself included) but not nearly as many in night two (I never sat once). I thought it was cool that he played pretty much a greatest hits set both nights. I would have been disappointed to hear a bunch of new stuff that I couldn't care less about. The one new song he did play was a total ripoff of "Baby Did A Bad Bad Thing" by Chris Isaak. Good thing they're hanging it up if they can't make original music anymore.
    I totally agree with those who were sickened by all of Petty's posturing thoughout the show. I realize this is your last tour ever (supposedly) but get over yourself. You'd think after 30 years of touring and watching much better band open for you would learn to be humble. We already paid twice as much for the show and everyone sang along with you. What the hell else do you think you deserve?
    All in all it was a good experience but I don't know if I would fork out $100 a ticket to see those shows again. The toughest part now is that I don't know how long it will be before I get to see PJ again.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    the show fucking rocked !!!!!
    if only i could have been with someone else
  • Options
    I was extremely disappointed to see PJ play barely a 60 minute set at a show where they were billed as a "co-headliner". They most certainly did not get equal stage time with Petty (who schooled them IMO). It is PJ that learned a lesson this night, not Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

I am not trying to troll or harsh anybody's buzz, but the 7/3 Denver set pales in comparison to anything else I've heard from this tour. This show was a far cry from the full PARAGRAPH of songs plus 2 4/5 song encores that have comprised most of the shows on this tour.

The song selection was fairly terrible. I can understand opening nearly every set with ~5 new songs when you have an entire show to kill, but doing this when you have a one-hour slot equals a snore-fest. Don't get me wrong, the band played well and sounded good, but they never really engaged the crowd...

On that note, this was possibly the lamest crowd I've ever been a part of. I had floor seats in the middle of the fray and most people were either sitting down or standing still.

Sorry for such a negative review, but I can only take so much undeserved pole-polishing of a set that was, in one word, lackluster.

Hey, at least I go my Leash.

::Flame Away::
  • Options
    I was extremely disappointed to see PJ play barely a 60 minute set at a show where they were billed as a "co-headliner".

Did you leave before the encore? They played an hour and a half. Came on at 7:30, left a little after 9.

That's more than "barely an hour." In fact, go see most any other major rock act, and that's what you get every night.

anyway, I really enjoyed the show. It was power-packed. Maybe I enjoyed it because I knew it was gonna be a short set. I wasn't delusional enough to think PJ would play three hours, then leave Tom 45 minutes.

but whatever.
    I can understand opening nearly every set with ~5 new songs when you have an entire show to kill,

Also, that song that opened this show wasn't new at all. In fact, it was more than 10 years old. It's called Long Road. Awesome tune, and fairly rare this tour. You should check it out sometime.
  • Options
    I messed up while downloading the MP3 boot and now don't have Track 2, 'Severed Hand', from Denver 7/2. Someone please help! I went to both nights, bought the boot, and now don't have the full thing....short of getting the FLAC version for another $15, I can't even download the whole thing again.

Please help!!!

Update - got help. Thanks!
    "A compliment for us, is a compliment for you."
    Vancouver '05, Denver I/II '06, Gorge I/II '06, MSG I/II '08, VH1 Rock Honors '08, Seattle I/II '09, Vancouver '11
    EV: Portland '11, Seattle Benaroya I/II '11
  • Options
    They came onstage just after 7:30 and my watch said 8:35 when they left BEFORE the encore...which was not very long.

The SET was 60 minutes. The encore, perhaps, fifteen.

Once again, my beef is not really with PJ, but with the fact that I don't think that I will ever want to see them playing the first slot.

The crowd totally sucked. People were seat-sticklers in the middle floor section (not all the way up front) when there were empty seats around me for extended periods. I guess people turn into assholes when tickets are $90 + fees. People were giving me shit for friends of mine (who had front ten rows floor seats) sitting in empty seats next to me chatting during setbreak. Don't worry lady, and dudes, they'll be gone when the set starts because their seats are BETTER THAN YOURS. Taboot, security in the Pepsi Center has become Draconian. It was a major effort to roast a bowl during this show because of a) uptight security, b) people sitting down during the set, and c) nobody else puffing around me. Seriously, I was the only person lighting up during the Bob Dylan encore screaming "EVERYBODY MUST GET STONED!"

I guess I am just agreeing with Diamond and "RITFWinCO" in my assessment that this show was lackluster and poorly managed in the setlist department. I really just think that a band should give the crowd what they want to hear whether their set (+encore) is 75 minutes or 2.5 hours. The new tunes and rarities from the more recent albums don't do much to engage a crowd that came to hear some songs they are familiar with. Not saying that they should come out and play 10 and vs. all night, but I think a better balance could have been struck...seriously, I was *bored* until Betterman (ain't that weird!)

Next time, they'll play Red Rocks on their own and kick some serious ass!

::ends rant::