Options

*** Madrid Fanviews Here 9/6/07 ***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Opening Set: Porch, Animal, World Wide Suicide, Hail Hail, Corduroy, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Severed Hand, Given To Fly, Green Disease, Even Flow, Daughter/(W.M.A.)(Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2), Alive

1st Encore: Last Exit, Not For You/(Modern Girl), Comatose, Go

2nd Encore: Black, I Believe In Miracles, Baba O' Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post here only if you were in attendance.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SpokenJeremySpokenJeremy Posts: 604
    Fuckin amazing!!!!!! Ed was on fire tonight. The guys had more energy then I've seen in quite some time. Songs off of the latest record we even better, more refined. I hope the bootleg comes out for this one!
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    edwho wrote:

1st Encore: Last Exit, Not For You/(Modern Girl), Comatose, Go

arg! it looks so juicy, ALL of it
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    yielderyielder Posts: 160
    wow that's a nice set !
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • Options
    alidalealidale Posts: 28
    Not a good one for me. Sound was appaling at ground (pitch) level and finishing the set with Alive was, well, SHITE!!!!! Caught us all by surprise and the crowd fell pretty quiet, peole around me at least wondering what was going on! It felt like the band had chosen an easy finish, which fell flat on its face. They necer recovered from it, I´m afraid.

They did not seem fired up to me, Ed looked knackered, even sitting a couple of times.

Not all negative though, liked the opening (once sound imorived a little) and also nice touch of Javier Bardem (one of my favourite actors and all round sound bloke) introducing Black (which was great) And Mike gave a couple of treats.

Roll on London!!
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ali_p wrote:
    finishing the set with Alive was, well, SHITE!!!!! Caught us all by surprise
    Why? quite a normal finish to main set.
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    Cute setlist!! I like Porch as an opener. :D
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    V VV V Posts: 5,191
    oh my god that is a BEAUTIFUL set list :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Stereotype wrote:
    Cute setlist!! I like Porch as an opener. :D
    Porch was fabulous!!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    it was a really nice one, too short though... :(
    stood at the top of the hill over my town i was found. finding myself used to be hard but now i see the light. this is music.
  • Options
    milanmilan Posts: 447
    Great set. They nailed it .......despite: useless sound for the opening few songs (mix was swirling around all over the place) and frighteningly short opening set (I thought they would be off and away by 12.15 a.m. but they were still there after 12.45 a.m.).

I reckon they can do it night after night without a hitch - the bootlegs are testament to this. They still sound like they are having a party - no Stones going thru the motions for PJ.

Stormin' - wish I was going again.

As english is my only language I've no idea what he said between the numbers but I do think he said sorry for the Madrid quip in Lisbon the night before

Sounds okay on the radio that my wife streamed for me too.

Milan 2006
    Madrid 2007
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    opening with Porch was awesome and the band seemed to be on fire IMHO!
    The crowd was as enthusiastic as possible (in the mosh pit fans were singing so very loud many times I could barely hear Ed's voice:( Spanish fans proved they are still in love with Pearl Jam!!!
    I was so happy to hear I Believe In Miracles, Green Disease, Last Exit, Not For You, Baba and Small Town and Daugter finally with those brilliant tags!!!

The only disappointing facts for me:

-relatively short set
    -2 local drunken persons (a couple) who were trying really hard to spoil as many people's show as possible by behaving aggressive and violent towards foreigners and especially girls!!! Thank God security guards got rid of these retarded fuckers in the end right before PJ came out to play!!!:D:D:D)
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    RiffJamRiffJam Posts: 143
    20 songs? awesome set but I hope PJ doesn't start playing less of a show moving forward...

well I guess they normally average around 27 songs per show but that's still a lot of good music to be played, 7 more songs...

Only shorter because it was a festival. Supposed to stop at 12.30 but they carried on until 12.45, which was great (but not for getting the last metro back....)

Class tight set, awesome opener in Porch and the band on fire - Stone looked happier than at any of the shows I saw in Europe last year!
    London 28-10-96, London 29-10-96, London 20-04-06, Dublin 23-08-06, Reading 27-08-06, Marseille 09-09-06, Berlin 23-09-06, Athens 30-09-06, Madrid 09-06-07, London18-06-07, Copenhagen 26-06-07, Boston 28-06-08, London 11-08-09, Rotterdam 13-08-09, Manchester 17-08-09, London 18-08-09, Toronto 21-08-09, Philadelphia 30-10-09, Philadelphia 31-10-09, Manchester 20-06-12, Manchester 21-06-12, Stockholm 07-07-12, Leeds 08-07-14, Milton Keynes 11-07-14, Boston 05-08-16, Amsterdam 12-06-18, London 18-06-18, Krakow 03-07-18, London 18-07-18, Copenhagen 05-07-22, London 08-07-22
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Why? quite a normal finish to main set.[/quote

Not so normal, more normal as 1st encore closer I think, at least I haven´t found a set list on my collection of bootlegs, but............ so what? What matters is that it left the crowd veeeeeeeeeeeeeery quiet, like we were all expecting the grand finale, when it had just happened! Just did not work!!!

I´m all in favour of variation, surprises etc and there were loads of them in Madrid in September, which worked much better for me. Personally I don´t mind if they drop Alive, in favor of (say) Half Full; (is that blasphemy?)
  • Options
    joyodongojoyodongo Posts: 36
    Well, I was in Lisbon on friday and yesterday in Madrid (my hometown). I must admit that I liked more the Lisbon concert. The setlist was OK; no surprises but I always like to listen to the hits. In Madrid the show was shorter and I missed: Rearviewmirror, Evolution and specially... Better Man. Last year in Madrid they started with it and it was crazy, and this year...no Better Man... pity.
    I was a bit surprised about the enthusiastic reaction of the portuguese people after the famous 'f*ck Madrid'. Anyway, I believe you when you say: 'No problem, no offense'. Well, I told you what happened yesterday in Madrid. When Eddie began to talk and say: 'We're very happy to be in Madrid, blablabla..., but the best thing is... TO BE OUT OF PORTUGAL!!! and the reaction of the public was... complete silence... like thinking: What is this guy saying??!! It seems like someone has tried to convince Eddie to exploit the supposed spanish-portuguese rivalry and, as far as we are concerned (the spaniards), this rivalry doesn't exist. In fact, IMHO, it is affection the actual feeling (at least from the spanish side). So, I think that the joke of being glad for being out of Portugal wasn't specially... brilliant.
    I think that the connection with the public was better in Lisbon. In fact, I think that the ammount of wine drank by Eddie had somehing to do with it. He was very funny... The concert was less serious that other times...
    The sound, in both concerts, was not spectacular, but OK.

Saludos.
    Dublin 23/8/06 - Vitoria 2/9/06 - Madrid 7/9/06
    Lisbon 8/6/07 - Madrid 9/6/07 - London 18/6/07 - Düsseldorf 21/6/07 - Copenhagen 26/6/07
    New York 24/6/08 - New York 25/6/08
    Rotterdam 13/8/09 - Berlin 15/8/09 - Manchester 17/8/09 - London 18/8/09 - Seattle 21/9/09 - Seattle 22/9/09
    Bilbao 9/7/10
  • Options
    ali_p wrote:
    They did not seem fired up to me, Ed looked knackered, even sitting a couple of times.

I quite agree, and I can' be sure but, after seing him the day before in Lisbon, it could be... the hang-over...

Saludos.
    Lisbon 8/6/07 - Madrid 9/6/07 - London 18/6/07 - Düsseldorf 21/6/07 - Copenhagen 26/6/07
    Rotterdam 13/8/09 - Berlin 15/8/09 - Manchester 17/8/09 - London 18/8/09 - Seattle 21/9/09 - Seattle 22/9/09
    Bilbao 9/7/10
  • Options
    I think its funny how everybody is pissed about a short set. It was a festival man!!! Reading was the only festival they actually played a legit show.

I cant wait to see how people react when PJ plays the same type of set at Lollapalooza.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    I think its funny how everybody is pissed about a short set. It was a festival man!!! Reading was the only festival they actually played a legit show.

I cant wait to see how people react when PJ plays the same type of set at Lollapalooza.

Every show last year in Europe (AZKENA ROCK festival included): 2 hours, the day before in Lisbon (OEIRAS ALIVE festival): 2 hours...
    FESTIMAD: 1h 40/45 min. It hurts...
    Bilbao 9/7/10
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804

man i hope both you and i are wrong.......

cuz after reading those setlists my enthusiam for lolla dropped......BIGTIME!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    RiffJam wrote:
    Only shorter because it was a festival. Supposed to stop at 12.30 but they carried on until 12.45, which was great (but not for getting the last metro back....)

Class tight set, awesome opener in Porch and the band on fire - Stone looked happier than at any of the shows I saw in Europe last year!

Yeah it was an awesome gig with a great crowd.
    Too bad the sound for the first few songs was useless indeed, and getting back after the show was a disaster (the rain didn´t help either)

But still.....
    All in all it was a memorable night.
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510

cuz after reading those setlists my enthusiam for lolla dropped......BIGTIME!!!!

At least you are going to see them... just seeing PJ play anything would be the highlight of my summer!
  • Options
    MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66

Aren't they getting a 2.5 hour set at Lolla?
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    ali_p wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Why? quite a normal finish to main set.[/quote

Not so normal, more normal as 1st encore closer I think, at least I haven´t found a set list on my collection of bootlegs, but............ so what? What matters is that it left the crowd veeeeeeeeeeeeeery quiet, like we were all expecting the grand finale, when it had just happened! Just did not work!!!

I´m all in favour of variation, surprises etc and there were loads of them in Madrid in September, which worked much better for me. Personally I don´t mind if they drop Alive, in favor of (say) Half Full; (is that blasphemy?)

Dude, they played 8 songs after Alive! I think that was the grand finale you might have missed.

I saw them (in person) close about 3 main sets in the US with Alive on the last tour. Also, while i love Half Full, I think that would have the left the crowd hanging a little more than Alive, no? maybe i'm crazy to think that?

I believe all you're saying about the crowd and the sound and all, but you got a pretty nice setlist there.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    Garden DoggGarden Dogg Posts: 226
    a lot of people just ignore this part of the fanview threads:

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post here only if you were in attendance.

oh, shit...i did it, too. ;-)
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."
  • Options
    ali_p wrote:

Dude, they played 8 songs after Alive! I think that was the grand finale you might have missed.

Or maybe YOU missed it? Were you there? Cant see the date on your list there. I repeat, it left the crowd bewildered and wondering what was going on, and they never got them back. It was NOT just me.

I know it may seem hard for some to admit that at times even Pearl Jam get it wrong!!!! (Dios mio, son humanossssssss!!!) Check out the Spanish fan club site (http://www.estupidafregona.net) and get someone to translate if you dont speak Spanish; you will see that overall people are well dissapointed. It was not a great gig.

And as far as length of set goes...that is neither here nor there; who cares how long it is if it WORKS!!!
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    didn't enjoy that one so much..the spanish crowds are not to my liking, after Barcelona last year, I'll avoid spain in the future.

set was good, but very short and I didn't feel the crowd was as much into it as in Lisbon.
    probably because most of them had spend the day getting drunk outside the stadium :rolleyes:

so mixed experience...looking forward to the first proper show tomorrow, and hopefully some less usual songs...got to run get my plane actually :)
  • Options
    Great atmosphere. Brutal crowd. Was right in the thick of it. Covered in bruises again. But I care not because I saw the greatest band in the world again!

Opening with Porch was immense. The songs that followed were equally blazing. Mike was on fire. Didn't care for Matt's Evenflow drum solo, but the guitars made up for it. Finally heard Daughter after six shows.. lived up to the expectations. Miracles was good to hear too. They still have the energy, the magnetism and the flair. If these two Iberian festivals were the prelude to the tour, they were as good as they could be. Hard to put into words what you feel when you walk out of a Pearl Jam gig. I was touched. Can't wait for Monday. Not going to be able to sleep or anything
  • Options
    trammeustrammeus Posts: 124
    Great concert.
    I'm not agree with the ones who say quite crowd....very loud indeed.

Just a question, during one of the encores (maybe YL) , Vedder called a security man pointing him some guys in the crowd...anyone knows what was about?
    Verona 93 - Milan 96 - Barcelona 96 - Verona 00 - Milan 00 - Turin 06 - Berlin 06 - Lisbon 07 - Madrid 07 - Katowice 07 - London 07 - Werchter 07
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Yes I agree it was a great concert. I travelled a long way to see Pearl Jam and they did not dissapoint me (they never have!), but also I met some really wonderful people on Saturday(hi Sandra/Mellisa/Claudio/Fabio/Chris and the gang)-sure the usual assholes came crashing through the crowd during PJ, but then that will always happen. There should have been a front section blocked off to late comers, it's the only way to stop aggressive drunken bastards forcing their way past decent people who want a good view of the show. That aside, I loved the gig-and boy, spending the night in the doorway of the metro station at Leganes with a real league of nations of PJ fans, was almost a small price to pay. Suddenly the POW style hotel bed I was paying for back in Madrid seemed like the Ritz! Any of you guys there? I didn't feel like such a dick for being stranded, as there were even Spanish people amongst us! The whole town of Leganes just fucking closed man. Taxis were almost non existent, the metro was overcrowded, they turned us away and pulled down the shutters....and just then it started to rain, how sweet!4 hours later we got on the early Sunday metro, to raptuous applause from dishevelled Pearl Jammers. A problem I will not encounter in London, it will be 4* petrol or 4* hotel getting me away from there, i'm not decided yet.

p.s. We found the greatest bar in the world near Peurto del Sol-it was kind of a butchers shop with bartenders. Cheap as hell too! Beer and meat,I loved it.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    trammeustrammeus Posts: 124
    Pegasus wrote:
    didn't enjoy that one so much..the spanish crowds are not to my liking, after Barcelona last year, I'll avoid spain in the future.

set was good, but very short and I didn't feel the crowd was as much into it as in Lisbon.

really?
    I enjoyed so much the spanish people, as always...in Lisbon too many kids in the crowd (blame on Linkin Park, my god they're unearable)
    Verona 93 - Milan 96 - Barcelona 96 - Verona 00 - Milan 00 - Turin 06 - Berlin 06 - Lisbon 07 - Madrid 07 - Katowice 07 - London 07 - Werchter 07
  • Options
    Yeah, you know, this festival is damned since 3 years ago. They should call it festiMAL. The concert was in the 'end of the world', and you just run to catch the metro to see it closed or to advance to the next stop. I had to leave it at Puerta del Sur, in Mostoles, and then, the same as 300 people, wander in the rain until, miracously, 30 minutes later, we found a taxi. First thing: the Metro should be open in Madrid all night, at least during the weekends. Second: If it's not, they should set an special service for the event until at least 3am or so.
    And the event was 'cutre' as we say in Spain. Impossible to get a beer, impssible to piss, far-away location... Never again festiMAL!!!

Saludos
    Bilbao 9/7/10