for all of the parents out there....

2»

Comments

• redrock wrote:
    EDIT: I don't this is helping Matt out :lol:

Might be... Just a little 'reality' check for him! :lol:

It's just the way with kids... you love them to bits but sometimes they drive you nuts! That's why a little week-end away, just the 'two of you', (or a swap!) works wonders for your sanity ;)
    Exactly!!

Love the little bastard... Freaking kid calls me chubby one more time :evil: :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I have nothing constructive to add to this thread except good luck! :thumbup:
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    DS1119 wrote:
    I have nothing constructive to add to this thread except good luck! :thumbup:

thanks!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    They also make you feel good if you care about the planet. If you use all disposables, you throw 7,000 diapers into a landfill per baby. :shock:

There are a number of eco-friendly disposable diapers on the market, completely recyclable/bio-degradable - look for those and plant a tree or two! If you have a compost heap, you can also compost them (but not the poos!). With cloth diapers, by the time you have used the water, detergents and electricity to wash & dry, it's just as bad for the environment, though in a different way.

And as Johnny said... books, books, books!!! :mrgreen:
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    mfc2006 wrote:
    we're going to start a family...soon. (in the next year or so)

not looking for sex advice (at all). we're good there. :thumbup:

we're looking for planning tips....what things came up that you did not expect at all? yeah, we're clueless hippies...but who cares? ;)

any thoughts/advice would be appreciated...
    we've been wanting to start a family for awhile...so we're excited. just trying to get a feel of what we should be doing to prepare. i'm going to be a Dad soon & i can not wait!

thanky,
    Matt

There was a lot I wasn't prepared for when my first baby arrived! For example, I somehow didn't realize how overwhelming it would be in terms of time. Unless you're lucky and they sleep a lot (which my first DIDN'T do!) they are constantly needing something. To be carried around, to be fed, to be changed, to be played with. It was ridiculous how little I was prepared for that. :mrgreen: :shock:

Make sure you've cleared some space in your life because you'll NEED IT! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • My advice - ignore everyone's advice. Every child is different. I have 4. And each one had different "habits" that caused their own anxieties.

The only thing to remember, especially on the 3rd night of you both being up and cranky - you're in this together and love each other. When you start to get edgy, give each other a hug and a laugh and remind each other that this cycle will end, and you'll have bigger things to worry about.

And enjoy every minute. They grow fast and the moment that just past will never exist again.

(oh - and if you have a boy, keep "it" covered for as long as possible, and stand in a direction away from where he's aimed when you are changing a diaper.)
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    JaneNY wrote:
    Breastfeed and use cloth diapers. You'll save thousands! I'm serious - we did it, and also lived frugally, and paid off our house in 3 years. Buy kid clothes from thrift shops and yard sales - a baby doesn't care. Before they get fashion conscious and lecture you(at the age of 5 mind you) about kitten heels is the time to save money on clothing them. She is now 17 and wants Steve Madden boots, so save as much money as you can while they're little. Go to public health for any immunizations - it was $5 per visit. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

I'll second the thrift shop comment. When we were expecting I was excited went overboard and spent a lot of money on new baby clothes...we then later (and still do) started looking at thrift stores to buy clothing. Most of it looks just like new brand new since baby's outgrow their clothes so fast and cost as little as .79 an item.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    I have 3 daughters, and really remember being clueless when this whole adventure started.

Here are a couple of thoughts and I have broken it down in 3 ways from the Dad's perspective:

Pregnancy
    1. For the next nine months, you focus entirely on taking care of your wife.
    2. I started off by being too nice and annoying her. She was throwing up a lot and I was trying to be supportive, but in retorspect, I was probably a little over the top. I changed up my tactic and put together a care package for her of foods she could eat (crackers, dry cereal, popcorn etc) and I got her some magazines and some movies to watch. I then said, If you need me, I will be in the other room...It worked

New Born
    1. I found the first 3 months (of each kid's life) REALLY hard. They don't sleep properly, you and your wife will be exhausted and all of the little things you used to take for granted (as simple as taking a shower) have to be strategically planned. It gets better...but I did not enjoy those days.
    2. Feeding the baby is stressful too. Sometimes the breastfeeding doesn't work properly, which will make your wife really emotional and your baby will be grumpy, and there is NOTHING you can do. If it's a bottle, it's a little easier, but much more expensive.
    3. The newborns go through 12-18 diapers a day. Do the math on that one my friend!!!

Toddler
    1. If you think your life has changed, wait till that little kid becomes mobile. Holy shit. Sun up to sun down you are chasing that little kids around the house. A playpen is essential here.
    2. That said, for me thi sis much more fun and it's the point where daddy becomes more involved and important.

Good advice..I agree on the first 3 months..that was definitely the hardest time for us..Actually the first 3 weeks were pretty hard. We have no family in the area (my family just stayed for a few days after our son was born) so we had to do everything on our own. One thing that seemed to work for us the first few weeks, especially since my wife is a student, is working in shifts at night. I would stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning and then sleep until 10 while my wife watched/fed/carried him. I did this for a few weeks until I had to return to work. Things just get better and better as they get older though. There's nothing more fun and rewarding then seeing your child smile when you get home, and see them so happy that you are playing with them.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    pandora wrote:
    children understand far more than they ever communicate
    this at any age.

They are tiny sponges that grow into adults with very similar habits to their parents.

Don't do what you don't want them to do as adults,
    be a good example
    give them all that they need and some of what they want

I remember being worried as a young mother if I was doing a good job

my big sister, who has since left this world, her words stayed

"You are great people, you and JB, don't worry you will have great children"

moral ...
    instill in your children what you think is important in this world then relax and enjoy the ride!
    It is a grand ride.... a miracle! :D

Very well said! :D
  • I have no advice either because I have no kids...but my sister just had a baby!! And I bought my new nephew some PJ onesies..so..Be sure to get some of that for your future kid!! :D

From what I have observed from watching my sister, they have to feed my nephew every 2-3 hours..all day, all night long. So her and her husband didn't get much sleep at all, he's a month old now and finally sleeps about 3-5 hours at a time now. He's super adorable though and good luck to you!! As tough as it may sound, i'm sure you will enjoy it very much!

And good luck too! :)
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • redrock wrote:
    They also make you feel good if you care about the planet. If you use all disposables, you throw 7,000 diapers into a landfill per baby. :shock:

There are a number of eco-friendly disposable diapers on the market, completely recyclable/bio-degradable - look for those and plant a tree or two! If you have a compost heap, you can also compost them (but not the poos!). With cloth diapers, by the time you have used the water, detergents and electricity to wash & dry, it's just as bad for the environment, though in a different way.

And as Johnny said... books, books, books!!! :mrgreen:

For disposables we are using the natural cotton diapers, which I think are biodegradable. The main reason we use them, though, is that they are better for him, not having the perfumes & dyes.

We were throwing the diapers in the laundry with everything else so it wasn't any extra water, detergents or electricity.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I think one of the most important things to remember- is to have patience with each other as parents. You will both be sleep deprived, cranky, worried if you are doing things right, worried that the baby isn't getting enough to eat, etc...And then they become toddlers- then its a whole other ball game.

What I didn't expect is the amount of time I didn't have for myself. Those first few months I was stressing that the house wasn't clean or the laundry wasn't done, and ... Then I calmed down and thought that it will get better. The first month is the hardest. I was frustrated, and tired, and... everything. You just have to realize that at this moment in time- you are their everything and nothing will get done. And its OK. Day by day it gets better and you will get a load of laundry done, or one room in the house gets cleaned, or the table gets cleared of stuff- little by little and life continues. It will be different with this new life in your life, but it gets better. Take the time to bond with them and things will get done.

Enjoy you moments as being parents together for the first time. Its a definite learning curve, but if you tackle things together it gets better and easier.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    This is my advice... see if you guys can get pregnant first.

Because some of us have trouble with that.

I second the breastfeeding advice. It's the best thing for the baby.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Lovely thread :D

I don't have kids so all I can say is good luck :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Jeanwah wrote:

Yeah, don't put the horse before the cart.

Also, if you don't want 2 really close together, be careful after the first one is born. :lol:

Breastfeeding is very important, but if it's not enough for the baby then it's not the end of the world to supplement. Some crazy fanatics just about starve their babies to follow the pediatric advice. I mean, just as some have difficulty getting pregnant, some have difficult producing enough milk. All these books make you feel like a criminal for giving the baby any formula at all. :roll:

And I don't know what babies can get nothing but breast milk for the first 6 months - I think my boy was eating medium rare t-bones by 6 months. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    edited December 2011
    Matt,
    You know me well enough to know I don't have kids and am somewhat of a kid myself still. Having said that, I don't have much advice for you other than that if I was in your shoes, I would really value some of the advice given here. I know I'm already storing it in the vault for when my time comes.

Best of luck to you and your wife... you and her seem like such grand people, I'm sure your child or children will be just as wonderful. Like everyone else has said though, just enjoy it. I can't recall how many times I've heard parents say "the early years go by so fast and I miss them." So, embrace every moment whether they be large or small.

Again, best of luck! :thumbup:
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    Jeanwah wrote:

oh, i know. not trying to count our chickens before they hatch...
    just wanted some advice, is all.

this thread has been great! thanks, everyone!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I have no 'advice' to share-no kids.
    but since I have many friends that have little ones...

*always bring an extra outfit/change of clothes wherever you go. (I was on the bus in Las Vegas when one little girl tossed her cookies right after she got on...her mom muttered "I should have listened to mom when she told me to take along another set of clothes")

*you can never have too many socks or burp cloths-when I have to shop for a baby shower I ask the moms in the baby aisle "what do you wish people gave you more of?"

*seek out childrens/baby second hand stores. They have lots of things that are practically brand new-kids grow so fast they don't get a chance to wear them out-don't be afraid to ask friends/family members if they know anybody that has baby clothes.

*always be on the safe side and buy bigger, they can always grow into clothes, they haven't perfected shrinking kids yet. :lol:

good luck! I wish you and Mrs mfc the best!

oh, and I saw an article that said "don't forget to show love and appreciation for your partner...kids grow up and move out someday, your partner is there for the long run"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

good luck! I wish you and Mrs mfc the best!

oh, and I saw an article that said "don't forget to show love and appreciation for your partner...kids grow up and move out someday, your partner is there for the long run"

thanks, Lisa! yup...she's stuck with me! :lol::lol: i'm a lucky man...and i realize it every single day!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    RKCNDY wrote:

All great advice! Also, your kids really observe everything you do..even as infants so it's another great way to set a good example!
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    RKCNDY wrote:

Excellent advice :)

I know so many people,who once they have kids,their lives revolve around them,kid grow up and create their own lives and mum and dad suddenly realise they hardly know each other as their kids have been in between them,mum and dad split.

From early on make time for just both of you,get a babysitter and go out.

I have a friend who has never been out with her partner since they had their kids 8 years ago,she refuses to leave them with anyone.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • RKCNDY wrote:

Yea that really hits home. We are always dropping the boy off with his mom mom or aunt. Nice to have family around.

• dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Lots of great advice in here already, not sure I have much to add. Best of luck Matt!

Just appreciate some of the little things you take for granted now, like sleeping in on the weekends, going to the movies, or just some peace and quiet (I swear our 5 year old starts talking the moment she wakes up and doesn't stop until she falls asleep :lol: ). But you'll be amazed how early they start picking up on things that you and your wife do and taking after you. So it's never to early to get in a routine of good habits like reading to them everyday (this was huge and helped our daughter start reading on her own very early on) and feeding them healthy foods. But don't worry about trying to follow everything that people tell you to do, you'll be great and there's no other feeling like it in the world :D
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Trust your instincts, they are usually right. :mrgreen:

You two will make excellent parents. :mrgreen:

Sending lots of love, light and hope for you two on this step of your journey together! :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Better Dan wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

All great advice! Also, your kids really observe everything you do..even as infants so it's another great way to set a good example!
    I agree :thumbup:

I think, I hope, that JB and I,
    our bond, the example of our lasting love based in giving and forgiving
    is the best thing we did for our kids ...

Marriage is hard work but the longer it lasts the easier it gets.

Just never give up! Hang onto the young love as it grows old. :D
  • GiggyGiggy Posts: 9
    Enjoy your kids. They grow up so fast. Think it this way, Who else in your life do you have unconditional love for before you even meet them. Always remember to make sure they are safe with you and they know you love them more then anything in this world. Share the things that make you happy with them. Take them to PJ shows with you. Oh...When they turn 14 you will lose them to the devil :twisted: . But if you raised them right they ill came back in a few years. My 5 Y/O granddaughter's favorite song is "Not for You". The mix I gave her has the F word taken out. :lol:
    Kevin M. Kennedy
  • Giggy wrote:
    Enjoy your kids. They grow up so fast. Think it this way, Who else in your life do you have unconditional love for before you even meet them. Always remember to make sure they are safe with you and they know you love them more then anything in this world. Share the things that make you happy with them. Take them to PJ shows with you. Oh...When they turn 14 you will lose them to the devil :twisted: . But if you raised them right they ill came back in a few years. My 5 Y/O granddaughter's favorite song is "Not for You". The mix I gave her has the F word taken out. :lol:
    :thumbup:

It's like a time warp.
    My son was just born yesterday (or so it seems )and he's already 16 in the blink of an eye.
    My daughter is 12.. WTF?
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Awwwwww Matt! That's so cute!! The best of luck to you both.
    Best advice I can give you both is don't get too stressed out with the bombardment of advice that will be thrown at you from EVERYWHERE! :lol: Take the info that you want. ;)
    The only things I can suggest are:

1. Sleep while baby is sleeping! You'll need your rest especially in the first 3 months. And don't stress too much, they end up getting in a routine soon after that. ;)
    2. Don't compare your kids. Everyone I meet with kids are consumed with "What age did your child walk?" "what age did your child talk?" EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT. They all walk when they want to, talk when they want to. ;)
    3. Relax, you two will make fabulous parents!! :)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014