Options

how to handle a bad trade?

LftdaporchLftdaporch Posts: 118
edited December 2011 in Lost Dogs
So on halloween i mailed off sealed copies of yield and avacado to a board member. He told me he mailed the same day. He has received his package according to my ups tracking. I have yet to receive anything. After 10 days I asked for a tracking number, to which he replied his wife left it at work, it was a hectic week for him and don't worry he would never screw me, since he had been screwed once. He offered to mail my stuff back if I did not receive my end of the trade from him. I wait another week, then I sned a pm that simply states I have lost faith, to which he replies that he swears the package is on its way, still no tracking number or any other info.2 days ago i pm him "what is going on" the message is no longer in my inbox and I have not gotten a reply. Am I allowed to post their name on the forum? I do not want to be in trouble for bashing someone, but I want this resolved or at least make sure noone makes the same mistake I did.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    Lftdaporch wrote:
    So on halloween i mailed off sealed copies of yield and avacado to a board member. He told me he mailed the same day. He has received his package according to my ups tracking. I have yet to receive anything. After 10 days I asked for a tracking number, to which he replied his wife left it at work, it was a hectic week for him and don't worry he would never screw me, since he had been screwed once. He offered to mail my stuff back if I did not receive my end of the trade from him. I wait another week, then I sned a pm that simply states I have lost faith, to which he replies that he swears the package is on its way, still no tracking number or any other info.2 days ago i pm him "what is going on" the message is no longer in my inbox and I have not gotten a reply. Am I allowed to post their name on the forum? I do not want to be in trouble for bashing someone, but I want this resolved or at least make sure noone makes the same mistake I did.

You may have just talked me out of trading here :?
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I'd say you can out them.

...and if you think they are deliberately not sending your item, you may want to inform Kat (the main moderator). I've had a few deals go bad on here. One of them was someone selling something and accepting paypal payments from multiple people for the same item, then not sending a thing, and apparently it was a scam. A few of us informed Kat and she was very appreciative of that... not that she could do anything but consider banning them, etc.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    I would pm them a link to this thread...Ask one last time what the deal is....Wait for a response. If none comes, then they obviously want you to bash them here...right? Sucks when people take advantage! Good luck. I hope it works out for you.
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I would send him a note laying out very clearly what you want from him by when, and spelling out what the consequences are before you out him/her unless you already have. Something like,

Mr X,

Please send the package with items you promised and PM me tracking number by Wednesday, Nov 30. If you are not able to do this, please mail back my Avocado/Yield LPs by Thursday, Dec 1 and PM me tracking number. If you do not do this, I will have no choice but to out you on Lost Dogs which will have a negative impact on your reputation on the board.

I really do not wish to do this, but your lack of follow-through have made me incredibly uncomfortable and I wish to resolve this as soon as possible. I apologize if this is a result of any personal issues you may be having. If that's the case, all I ask is that you send me back my original items by Thursday Dec 1 and we can consider this resolved.

Sincerely,
    Lftdaporch
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I don't know about outing them...how about thread in lost dogs where positive feedback of good traders/sellers/buyers can be left.

Was this international...I know stuff coming from the US to Canada can take 8 - 10 weeks...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Lftdaporch wrote:

exactly why I'm hesitant to trade!!!
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    thats sucks........hope you sort it out. good to check trade refferences before trades with strangers
    ajb
  • Options
    rjwhite19rjwhite19 Posts: 574
    edited November 2011
    I've shipped from Canada to the US and it has taken sometimes over 5 weeks. You don't receive a tracking number either if it is a small package under $100 value. It may be still en route. Contact him/her again. But I am assuming they didn't have a tracking number in the first place, but your trade will arrive within the next week and a half.
    Post edited by rjwhite19 on
    Montreal 2003. Halifax 2005. EV Montreal 2008. Toronto 2009
    Toronto 2011 1 & 2 London 2013. Quebec City 2016. Ottawa 2016
    Fenway 2016 1 & 2
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Lftdaporch wrote:

That's true but I've traded more than a handful of times with some awesome people who I continue to talk with weekly. I've even met 2 of the people from here at a Soundgarden show to give them items. There's lots of great people on here that do trade.

OP I'd do what Suziemay suggested, assuming you're not dealing with an international transaction (these all take weeks it seems), this is way too long of a time period for the items not to show up. Good luck I hope it all gets resolved soon.
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Suziemay wrote:
    I would send him a note laying out very clearly what you want from him by when, and spelling out what the consequences are before you out him/her unless you already have. Something like,

Mr X,

Please send the package with items you promised and PM me tracking number by Wednesday, Nov 30. If you are not able to do this, please mail back my Avocado/Yield LPs by Thursday, Dec 1 and PM me tracking number. If you do not do this, I will have no choice but to out you on Lost Dogs which will have a negative impact on your reputation on the board.

I really do not wish to do this, but your lack of follow-through have made me incredibly uncomfortable and I wish to resolve this as soon as possible. I apologize if this is a result of any personal issues you may be having. If that's the case, all I ask is that you send me back my original items by Thursday Dec 1 and we can consider this resolved.

Sincerely,
    Lftdaporch
    +1. maybe he's just slow or absentminded. :?
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Lftdaporch wrote:

There are a lot of great people to trade with on here. There is a list of those that are very reputable. Don't let someone else's bad transaction deter you.
  • Options
    based on the original post i'd say this was a trade gone bad unfortunately. Op has asked for tracking, person has replied a bunch of times but never once provides a tracking number just excuses and it has been a month since this trade went down. sorry to hear about your luck and like someone else pointed out, I think a trade feedback sub-forum should be made that has every 10c member listed.
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    yeah, if you don't get a response, I think I might have to out him, and I wish you could get your stuff back.
  • Options
    sheila0225 wrote:
    There are a lot of great people to trade with on here. There is a list of those that are very reputable. Don't let someone else's bad transaction deter you.

I agree. I haven't traded, just purchased/sold stuff but everyone's been wonderful. I generally check the person's post history to see if anything jumps out. Also, I will not send items/payment unless I get confirmation and sense a good vibe. Most people here won't screw you over, especially the active posters :)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    i dont know how you will handle this,i ll tell u not to do a public trial...
    you already did well to be patient and see whats going on...
    in the end tell him to mail u back your records..i dont see any point to post names..cos there are judges in this forum that they know all and can burn u in fire without u can open your mouth.,.
    and maybe next time u will be the one will be your package to delay,and for sure u wouldnt like to be burn,with out have the chance to say your part of the story..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    i dont know how you will handle this,i ll tell u not to do a public trial...
    you already did well to be patient and see whats going on...
    in the end tell him to mail u back your records..i dont see any point to post names..cos there are judges in this forum that they know all and can burn u in fire without u can open your mouth.,.
    and maybe next time u will be the one will be your package to delay,and for sure u wouldnt like to be burn,with out have the chance to say your part of the story..

I do agree with this. Patience is a virtue. I like the original suggestion of giving them a chance to state what is actually going on. Maybe, he/she's forgetful, a procrastinator, or it's stuck in the mail system. Better to be cautious in "outing" someone. I also agree that at this point, it sounds like you're better off taking him up on his suggestion that he mail your stuff back to you.

But, at some point (and that's the tricky part - when is that? Ptobably better to do it later than sooner), I think the community does need to know who to be wary of.

But, as dimi so wisely put it - a public trial (thread) does nobody any good. So, be 1,000% sure and then double check, then just state FACTS without opinion, just to inform folks what's up (and what's down).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    JMoJMo Posts: 1,071
    There are many great people here, but a few bad apples. Only a few if you consider the ratio.

I would do what Susiemay suggested, and go from there. Good luck!
  • Options
    White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,812
    Thanks Mike you're a great guy too :)... Trade with Mike he will always do you right ;)

exactly why I'm hesitant to trade!!![/quote]

That's true but I've traded more than a handful of times with some awesome people who I continue to talk with weekly. I've even met 2 of the people from here at a Soundgarden show to give them items. There's lots of great people on here that do trade.

OP I'd do what Suziemay suggested, assuming you're not dealing with an international transaction (these all take weeks it seems), this is way too long of a time period for the items not to show up. Good luck I hope it all gets resolved soon.[/quote]
  • Options

OP I'd do what Suziemay suggested, assuming you're not dealing with an international transaction (these all take weeks it seems), this is way too long of a time period for the items not to show up. Good luck I hope it all gets resolved soon.

mike aka the messanger is easily the best person to trade with on this board. let that be known
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    I totally get that you don't want to 'out' the person, start a witch hunt etc especially to early but at the same time it's a balancing act because everyone else could be trading with him
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    based on the original post i'd say this was a trade gone bad unfortunately. Op has asked for tracking, person has replied a bunch of times but never once provides a tracking number just excuses and it has been a month since this trade went down. sorry to hear about your luck and like someone else pointed out, I think a trade feedback sub-forum should be made that has every 10c member listed.
    totally agree with that. dwhite manages the list with good people to trade with, which we should petition to have stickied. but there should also be a list or people that have burned other people which should also be stickied
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    is it ok to put the name out there if you have been waiting for 2 months? I've got a similar situation and I'm about to give up on getting my end of the deal and just put the person's name on blast. If we are dealing with the same guy I'm starting a new thread.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    is it ok to put the name out there if you have been waiting for 2 months? I've got a similar situation and I'm about to give up on getting my end of the deal and just put the person's name on blast. If we are dealing with the same guy I'm starting a new thread.

I'm of the opinion that outing someone is the last resort and I would do it only if I thought it would get that person's attention. I would need to be 100% sure I've tried everything to get hold of this person and that they are not otherwise in trouble, sick, had misfortune befall them etc otherwise I would feel like an asshole.

2 months sounds like a long time to me, have you followed-up and made clear your expectations? I'm assuming you have, but seriously there are some really forgetful people and while it's not right, it doesn't make them bad people.
  • Options
    bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
    What if the person that is screwing you over is on the Good Trader list...which is currently going on with me.
  • Options
    bosshogg18 wrote:
    What if the person that is screwing you over is on the Good Trader list...which is currently going on with me.

sorry to hear. that is why I think 10c needs to create a feedback sub-thread that has each 10c member. you can leave positive and negative feedback. heck, I will even do it if they want
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    That really sucks!!!!! Why can't people just do the right thing?? I really hope that this person is legit and that you recieve your package in the next couple of days. I have been waiting for something I bought for months too! :roll: Best of luck to you. ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    i would like to add a couple of things.
    1. i was not on a "good" trader list and i would like to think i am a good trader and will also give people the benefit of the doubt.
    2. i made 2 other trades that same day which turned out well, let's not judge the many on actions of the few.
    3. this guy was shipping from the u.s. so no international delays.
    here is the timeline.

oct 25th trade was negotiated
    oct 31st i shipped package to them with tracking number pmed same day as they requested, i was told mine was going out next day
    nov 3rd after asking about tracking number i was told package was mailed that day and i would get tracking number the next day
    nov 6th asked about tracking number again, was told his wife left it at work and that package would show up next week
    nov 15th told trader i was losing faith and a tracking number would really help me feel better, they replied sorry it was really on the way and would return my items if something happened
    nov 25th i asked again about package, message has been read and no response has been made at this point.

i do not want to put anyone on a public trial, i just really want my stuff, since part of the trade was going to be sent to someone else as part of another trade.(grdesigner79 if u are reading this, sorry i am still obviously waiting to get an item to send you, but if u have to trade with someone else i understand)
  • Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    bosshogg18 wrote:

sorry to hear. that is why I think 10c needs to create a feedback sub-thread that has each 10c member. you can leave positive and negative feedback. heck, I will even do it if they want

I am part of other forums that have this. Some people are are the good list for simply buying something. (That is why I like the personal feedback sub-thread idea, as you might not trade with a person who has only 3 buy's vs. 3 trades) While it does take trust to put your money out their, u do still have recourse if you use pay-pal. IMO Anyway.

Good Day :)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Lftdaporch wrote:
    1. i was not on a "good" trader list and i would like to think i am a good trader and will also give people the benefit of the doubt.
    2. i made 2 other trades that same day which turned out well, let's not judge the many on actions of the few.
    here is the timeline.

oct 31st i shipped package to them with tracking number pmed same day as they requested, i was told mine was going out next day
    nov 3rd after asking about tracking number i was told package was mailed that day and i would get tracking number the next day
    nov 6th asked about tracking number again, was told his wife left it at work and that package would show up next week
    nov 15th told trader i was losing faith and a tracking number would really help me feel better, they replied sorry it was really on the way and would return my items if something happened
    nov 25th i asked again about package, message has been read and no response has been made at this point.

i do not want to put anyone on a public trial, i just really want my stuff, since part of the trade was going to be sent to someone else as part of another trade.(grdesigner79 if u are reading this, sorry i am still obviously waiting to get an item to send you, but if u have to trade with someone else i understand)
    yoyu handle this like a real gentleman..i really hope all this finnish with the best way for u and get your stuff..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Lftdaporch wrote:
    here is the timeline.

Has this person been posting recently? It really does sound like they really are not honouring their end of the trade, I say do what you need to do. I would probably try to PM one last time (any chance you have an email address?) and give them a deadline to respond just to be doubly sure you don't regret outing them later. To give them the benefit of the doubt, it's possible that the wife f-ed up, or the wife's office who mailed the package out misplaced it, but regardless, it doesn't change that you've been left hanging.

Sorry this has happened to you.
This discussion has been closed.