The Baseball 'World' Series?

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Why is it called the World Series when only Americans are involved? :think:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Sensationalism. Marketing, the usual evils.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408
    American egocentric perception
  • when it was named Americans were the only ones playing baseball
  • The Baseball 'World' Series?
    by Byrnzie » Nov 25th, '11, 05:49

Why is it called the World Series when only Americans are involved?

Look at the roster of any MLB team, you will find quite an international blend. The best players in the WOLRD come here to play.

Here and Toronto. :D
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Nittany1bn wrote:
    when it was named Americans were the only ones playing baseball

So why wasn't it called The American Series?
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    Nittany1bn wrote:
    when it was named Americans were the only ones playing baseball

So why wasn't it called The American Series?[/quote

At that time the baseball "world" was only America. The game has grown internationly since. Maybe they just knew how big the game/series would get. :lol:
    At that time the baseball "world" was only America. The game has grown internationly since. Maybe they just knew how big the game/series would get. :lol:

But even today with the game having 'grown internationally', there is still no World competition, or anything that could qualify as a 'World Series'.

How many other countries now play baseball? South Korea, Japan, Brazil?
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Byrnzie wrote:
    But even today with the game having 'grown internationally', there is still no World competition, or anything that could qualify as a 'World Series'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

as to your original question ... at the time they started it ... baseball was pretty much just played in america so - they considered it the world championships ... they say the same thing about the nba as well ...
  • Byrnzie wrote:

All the best players play for the MLB.

Though I would love to see an exhibition series between the World Series champion and the say, Japanese league.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • There are exhibitions between US teams and Japanese teams. It's not always the World Series champions, but the Yankees once opened their season in Japan and played a Japanese team a few days prior to their first regualr season game (I think it was the Yomiuri Giants). The Mariners have also opened their season in Japan a few times since they're popular over there thanks to Ichiro.
    Byrnzie wrote:

Though I would love to see an exhibition series between the World Series champion and the say, Japanese league.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Like someone mentioned, when the name was created, it was the world series. Every team in the world had a chance to compete and every team in the world just happened to be in the same country..

The name stuck, but I don't understand why it still bothers people.

Besides, if we change the name now, the Cubs truly never will win a "World Series". :lol:
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    A Canadian team has won it twice. :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    I guess we're not counting the Canadians, Koreans, Japanese, Mexicans, Venezuelans, Dominicans, Cubans, Panamanians, Dutch, Arubans, Puerto Ricans, Nicaraguans, Australians, Colombians, and Italians.
  • pjl44 wrote:
    I guess we're not counting the Canadians, Koreans, Japanese, Mexicans, Venezuelans, Dominicans, Cubans, Panamanians, Dutch, Arubans, Puerto Ricans, Nicaraguans, Australians, Colombians, and Italians.

The Jays won the World Series in 1992 and 1993, so Canada counts (sort of). Honestly, who cares that it's the "World Series"? The title has history so changing it seems unnecessary IMO.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    pjl44 wrote:

The Jays won the World Series in 1992 and 1993, so Canada counts (sort of). Honestly, who cares that it's the "World Series"? The title has history so changing it seems unnecessary IMO.

Oh, I'm with you. My point was that it is an international game and the highest level of competition just happens to be played in North America.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,935
    pjl44 wrote:

Why the OP cares thats who!!!!

Never fails to point USA's "arrogance" . Seems not to post much about how "great" britan enslaved and exploited much of the world.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Byrnzie wrote:

Every 4 years or so they have the world baseball classic. Players from several countries play against each other. It's nice to see the non MLB talent showcased. I would like to see an MLB vs the world game durning the allstar break.
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    Do you get equally concerned about the Miss Universe pageant?
    I believe all the competitors are from Earth.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,715
    Byrnzie wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Now wait, why am I laughing? Are we sure they're all earthlings?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Byrnzie wrote:

fucking AWESOME.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Byrnzie wrote:

really man? come on. this stuff dates back to the early 1900's. this kind of thread just makes you look like an anti-american at all costs, grasping at straws. you're better than that.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Byrnzie wrote:
    This. :lol:
    Byrnzie wrote:

When you meet an alien who feels discriminated against, let me know.
  • Byrnzie wrote:

America rules the world...duh!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Baseball is a poor mans Cricket.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    Byrnzie wrote:

Because it also involves Japanese players, etc. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Byrnzie wrote:

do you follow baseball?

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/birthplace.php
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • I've followed baseball my entire life and have yet to hear of the other major professional baseball leagues complain about the name of the World Series. In fact, most of the best players from other countries come to America to try to play in Major League Baseball. If you can name one instance of a great baseball player from North America leaving to play the sport somewhere else because he wants better competition, let me know.

Also, the following aliens are discriminated against every day:

300.Alf.tg.122810.jpg
    Willie makes him hide whenever they have company.

roger-from-american-dad-has-an.jpg
    Stan makes him live in the attic "for his own good." He's become an alcoholic with multiple personalities.

And the worst of all . . .

ET-The-Extra-Terre_1498982c.jpg
    He was denied the basic right of a phone call home.

And none of them have ever been allowed to enter the Miss Universe pageant.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

• Byrnzie wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

But isn't the title equally pompous and inaccurate?

Terms like "World Series" used to puzzle me when I was a kid because I knew it wasn't the right description but I'm not aware of the rest of the world being up in arms about it. There are so many sports terms that are overly dramatic and this just seems like another one of them.

You might have gotten a livelier debate if you'd posted this in October when the Series was actually happening but I still think there are plenty of more serious problems facing the world at the moment than what Major League Baseball chooses to call its championship.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    This is data from 2009, released by MLB:

Two-hundred twenty-nine (229) players on Opening Day rosters and disabled lists were born outside the 50 United States, it was announced today.

Overall, 28.0 percent of the 818 players (748 active 25-man roster players and 70 disabled or restricted Major League players) on April 5th rosters were born outside the 50 United States, representing 15 countries and territories. The all-time highs occurred in 2005, when 29.2 percent (242/829) of Opening Day players were foreign-born, and in 2007, when 246 players were born outside the U.S., totaling 29.0 percent of all players. Last season, 239 players from a pool of 855 were foreign-born, also totaling 28.0 percent.