The Baseball 'World' Series?

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    chappelle-player-haters-ball.jpg?w=500&h=376
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Terms like "World Series" used to puzzle me when I was a kid because I knew it wasn't the right description but I'm not aware of the rest of the world being up in arms about it. There are so many sports terms that are overly dramatic and this just seems like another one of them.

You might have gotten a livelier debate if you'd posted this in October when the Series was actually happening but I still think there are plenty of more serious problems facing the world at the moment than what Major League Baseball chooses to call its championship.

Oooh, touchy! :P
  • Baseball is America's pasttime. Get over it.
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    Terms like "World Series" used to puzzle me when I was a kid because I knew it wasn't the right description but I'm not aware of the rest of the world being up in arms about it. There are so many sports terms that are overly dramatic and this just seems like another one of them.

You might have gotten a livelier debate if you'd posted this in October when the Series was actually happening but I still think there are plenty of more serious problems facing the world at the moment than what Major League Baseball chooses to call its championship.

Oooh, touchy! :P
    :lol:

Srsly, man, this just doesn't seem like a topic for the AMT. Plus we've got plenty of baseball threads over on the AET.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    bennett13 wrote:
    Baseball is America's pasttime. Get over it.

Get over what?

I asked why America's past-time was called the 'World' series.

Srsly, man, this just doesn't seem like a topic for the AMT. Plus we've got plenty of baseball threads over on the AET.

It's o.k, I get it. You don't want to talk about it.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Why is it called the Premier League when Spanish teams keep kicking this shit out of them? Arrorgant Brits think the world revolves around them.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Why is it called the Premier League when Spanish teams keep kicking this shit out of them? Arrorgant Brits think the world revolves around them.

It's called the Premier league because it involves the best teams in England.

As for Spanish teams kicking the shit out of us, you clearly know nothing about European football.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I gather the same could be said about World Test matches in Cricket except the US is one of the major countries NOT included in those matches. A sport I believe was created BEFORE baseball.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

By the way, I have nothing against baseball. I know nothing about it.

I just find it strange that the big tournament over there is called the World series.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

As for Spanish teams kicking the shit out of us, you clearly know nothing about European football.

I know that in two out of the last 3 years the best of Spain beat the best of England.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I know that in two out of the last 3 years the best of Spain beat the best of England.

With the help of a certain Argentinian. ;)

Anyway, the history of the European cup, now the Champions league, is that Spanish teams have won it 13 times, and English teams have won it 11 times. Hardly an ass kicking.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    With the help of a certain Argentinian. ;)

Anyway, the history of the European cup, now the Champions league, is that Spanish teams have won it 13 times, and English teams have won it 11 times. Hardly an ass kicking.

This is true, a damn good one.

I was more referring to the last few years, actually a little suprised that Spain has more overall.
  • Quite simply, the sport was invented here and the World Series was created when we were the only ones playing it. Even though other countries have their own professional leagues, they are not at the same level as Major League Baseball. That's why the best international players come here to play and not the other way around. If you see an American baseball player playing for a Japanese team, that guy is fighting to hold onto his career. Japan's league is generally considered the closest in overall skill level to Major League baseball but it's not on the same level. They actually have a rule that limits how many Americans can be on a team.

Byrnzie wrote:

I just find it strange that the big tournament over there is called the World series.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    Byrnzie wrote:

Big tournament? You are right, you know nothing about baseball!!! ;)

Yeah, it's the same with Football (our style) and basketball. I think it's partially to separate the college champions ("National Champions") from the professionals ("World Champions"). But you are right and I do think it is based in arrogance that it's the best of the best. Of course, it kinda is as a league as the best of the best from other countries often do come and play in the big US leagues. And with the ever increasing number of non-US players in each league (less in American Football of course) it actually starts to fit the name more appropriately each year.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • I think it's just an honest statement of what it means to win the championship in certain sports in the US.

There's really not an American-style football league in another country that's anywhere near the same level as the NFL. The gap there is even bigger than the gap in baseball. The Canadian Football League often signs NFL castaways and undrafted college players hoping to get a shot at the NFL (and they have funny rules, too). The World League failed (I think it became NFL Europe and I'm not even sure that still exists--and if it does it's more of an NFL project to increase its popularity and possibly discover some new talent). Even if there is a league somewhere else, it's not on the same talent level, so the term World Champion is perfectly suitable.

The same thing applies for the NBA. The best European players ultimately come to the US to play. When it looked like the NBA might not have a season, the leagues in other countries started trying to get the NBA players to go play there.

The NHL teams don't usually refer to themselves as the World Champions when they win the Stanley Cup. They know that even though hockey is huge in Canada and there are Canadian teams and the NHL is Canada's hockey league as much as America's, hockey is just as big in other countries and players in European and Russian leagues are often more than happy to play in their home country's league instead of the NHL. The Olympics are pretty much hockey's version of a World Championship since NHL players are allowed to participate. The best players from the various leagues around the world get to play each other.
    Byrnzie wrote:

Big tournament? You are right, you know nothing about baseball!!! ;)

Yeah, it's the same with Football (our style) and basketball. I think it's partially to separate the college champions ("National Champions") from the professionals ("World Champions"). But you are right and I do think it is based in arrogance that it's the best of the best. Of course, it kinda is as a league as the best of the best from other countries often do come and play in the big US leagues. And with the ever increasing number of non-US players in each league (less in American Football of course) it actually starts to fit the name more appropriately each year.
  • Byrnzie wrote:

It's o.k, I get it. You don't want to talk about it.
    Are you kidding?!?! I LOVE to talk about baseball. My favorite sport.

It's just that when I drop in on the AMT, all the topics seem to be about politics, social issues, and some variations of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I mean, just the really heavy stuff.

As I said earlier, the language of sports is full of hyperbole. If it wasn't called the World Series there would probably be something comparable. It wouldn't matter to me. I'd still love the game and look forward to the WS every year.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Why is it called the World Series when only Americans are involved? :think:
    Do you get equally concerned about the Miss Universe pageant?
    I believe all the competitors are from Earth.

When you meet an alien who feels discriminated against, let me know.

I missed something. Which players are being discriminated against?
    Byrnzie wrote:

Ah...wish I had seen this one first. Once again, I have no idea what your agenda is aside from being pompous. If you actually attempt to engage in discussions rather than bait, you might actually broaden your base of knowledge. I mean, if you're interested in that.
    pjl44 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Ah...wish I had seen this one first. Once again, I have no idea what your agenda is aside from being pompous. If you actually attempt to engage in discussions rather than bait, you might actually broaden your base of knowledge. I mean, if you're interested in that.

I have no agenda. I just asked a legitimate question. Clearly my question makes you uncomfortable and defensive.

Oh well.
    Quite simply, the sport was invented here and the World Series was created when we were the only ones playing it. Even though other countries have their own professional leagues, they are not at the same level as Major League Baseball. That's why the best international players come here to play and not the other way around. If you see an American baseball player playing for a Japanese team, that guy is fighting to hold onto his career. Japan's league is generally considered the closest in overall skill level to Major League baseball but it's not on the same level. They actually have a rule that limits how many Americans can be on a team.

Thanks for the clarification.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

I have no agenda. I just asked a legitimate question. Clearly my question makes you uncomfortable and defensive.

Oh well.

No...it's just that it's already been answered about four different ways. To review:

1. At it's inception, it was entitled the "World's Series," probably for grandeur as much as it was supposed to represent the championship at the game's highest level of competition.

2. It holds true today, as MLB draws the game's top talent from all across the globe and remains the highest level of its competition. Additionally, MLB is making inroads in areas where the game is underdeveloped (especially South America, Western Europe and parts of Asia).

It's become more colloquial than anything else, despite being relatively accurate. Sufficient?
    pjl44 wrote:
    1. At it's inception, it was entitled the "World's Series," probably for grandeur as much as it was supposed to represent the championship at the game's highest level of competition.

2. It holds true today, as MLB draws the game's top talent from all across the globe and remains the highest level of its competition. Additionally, MLB is making inroads in areas where the game is underdeveloped (especially South America, Western Europe and parts of Asia).

It's become more colloquial than anything else, despite being relatively accurate. Sufficient?

The English Premiership also draws the games top talent from across the globe, as does the Italian Serie A, and the Spanish Primera Liga.

The football World cup is an international competition. That's why it's called the World cup. I just find it strange that America's major baseball competition involves nothing but American teams yet is called the 'World Series'. It shouldn't be called the World series, it should be called the American, or U.S series. Major League baseball has made inroads into other countries, like Japan, and South Korea e.t.c, but the World series is not an international competition.
  • We have a major league team in Canada, too. They've wond the World Series twice. There used to be 2 teams in Canada, as a matter of fact.

Your examples of soccer (sorry, football) leagues in Europe underscores exactly why none of those leagues can call their championship the "World Championship." There are several leagues throughout Europe that all feature top-level players. The same cannot be said for baseball. As has been mentioned, when the World Series began there was only one country playing baseball so there were no other countries that could have even been invited to participate. In fact, the World Series took place between 2 different leagues at that time. The National League and American League were 2 completely separate entities back then and the World Series was the first time the National League acknowledged that the American League was good enough to play against them. Now it's all one big happy family. However, the point still stands that there is no other baseball league anywhere in the world that is comparable to Major League Baseball.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

The English Premiership also draws the games top talent from across the globe, as does the Italian Serie A, and the Spanish Primera Liga.

The football World cup is an international competition. That's why it's called the World cup. I just find it strange that America's major baseball competition involves nothing but American teams. It shouldn't be called the World series, it should be called the American, or U.S series. Major League baseball has made inroads into other countries, like Japan, and South Korea e.t.c, but the World series is not an international competition.
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

The football World cup is an international competition. That's why it's called the World cup. I just find it strange that America's major baseball competition involves nothing but American teams yet is called the 'World Series'. It shouldn't be called the World series, it should be called the American, or U.S series. Major League baseball has made inroads into other countries, like Japan, and South Korea e.t.c, but the World series is not an international competition.

If Americans cared about soccer, then the World Cup would be the Super Bowl.

But we don't.

So we get the World Series, and you can have the (Third) World Cup.
  • Now you both look like idiots. Byzrine overreaching in his assessment of American sports, and you sound like a stereotypical ignorant American.

Lovely.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    We have a major league team in Canada, too. They've wond the World Series twice. There used to be 2 teams in Canada, as a matter of fact.

Your examples of soccer (sorry, football) leagues in Europe underscores exactly why none of those leagues can call their championship the "World Championship." There are several leagues throughout Europe that all feature top-level players. The same cannot be said for baseball. As has been mentioned, when the World Series began there was only one country playing baseball so there were no other countries that could have even been invited to participate. In fact, the World Series took place between 2 different leagues at that time. The National League and American League were 2 completely separate entities back then and the World Series was the first time the National League acknowledged that the American League was good enough to play against them. Now it's all one big happy family. However, the point still stands that there is no other baseball league anywhere in the world that is comparable to Major League Baseball.

Well put. Professional soccer is just structured differently than baseball. If the NPB in Japan or one of the Winter Leagues in Venezuela or the DR ever got to the level of MLB, then you would certainly have a point Byrnzie. As it stands currently, the level of play in those leagues currently is the equivalent to low- or high-A Minor League ball. They can feed their best players to MLB, but that's about as far as it goes at this point.

As a point of comparison, it would almost be like demanding the MLS champion take part in the Champions League. There's a significant disparity in talent.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    silky-logo.jpg
    If Americans cared about soccer, then the World Cup would be the Super Bowl.

But we don't.

So we get the World Series, and you can have the (Third) World Cup.

The football World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the World. The fact that many Americans don't care for it makes zero difference to the rest of us.

Still, the U.S team isn't too bad these days. They're better than China (not that that's hard to achieve). But I suppose it will never take off there, for various reasons, one being that in most U.S sports every period of 'play' lasts about 10 seconds - baseball, American football, basketball. Maybe it's an attention span thing.