So today will be the hardest day of my life...

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Thanksgiving will be a tough day for me. Not only beacuse I lost my dad this year and this is the first major holiday. Not because this is the first holiday apart from the girl I shared 8 years with, but because of my brother. My older brother has cerebral palsy and is mentally retarded. I remember his face when we brought him in the hospital room and my dad's body was there but his life wasn't and he realized it. It was the most heart wrenching thing I have ever seen to see his face transfrom from ignorance to total sadness. The girl I'm talking about, Theresa would hug my brother and give him a kiss whenever they saw each other...reach out to him and not be afraid. Afraid like he was some weird monster. That's one of the biggest reasons I fell so much in love with her. My brother adores this girl. Not many people are comfortable around the handicapped and disabled and she was fine with it. I'm dreading today when my brother asks me "WHere's Theresa"? I don't know what the fuck to say? I know how bad I'll be feeling sitting at the table and I can't imagine how he will be feeling? :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    Your post broke my heart. I am so, so, so sorry that you have so many things to make tomorrow difficult. Just one of those things alone would make the day unbearable for many. Consider me reaching through the screen for a big, gigantic hug. I wish you, and especially your brother, the best.
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • I can't imagine how rough this is going to be. :cry::cry: Im so sorry that you have to go through this, and I hope your brother does not take it as hard as you envision.
    I have to say, you are a very thoughtful and kind brother to be concerned for his feelings when you are going through such a tough transition yourself. I know you will figure out the best way to tell him. Big hugs to you and your brother. Its going to be a sad day for your whole family, but you will get through this. I am sure your dad would want this family together and enjoying the holiday the best they can despite the changes that have taken place.
    xoxoxoxox
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Wow....I can't even begin to imagine how difficult Thanksgiving will be for you. It's a hard enough thing to lose 2 people you love in one year...but to have to explain this second loss to your brother after he had so much difficulty with the loss of your father...well....I don't think anyone who reads your post envies your position.

For what it's worth, I'm sending good karma waves in your direction and hope that you and your brother have a nice holiday, despite the difficulties. A lot of loss this year - no doubt of that...but at least you still have each other.

Take care, and have a good day.
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Heya. You can do it. You can & will be strong for you & for your brother. Shitty stuff has come down on you this year but you can make the most of the family that are around you. Chin up man. You can do it! I hope your day with your bro goes ok. Look after you, look after your bro, keep busy & I truly hope you find little sparkles of joy in your day.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    "sometimes life, it don't leave you alone" :(

I was going to ask how you were coping.. Guess not very well still.. Hang in there, man. Follow the path ahead of you! If this is the lowest part of your life, it can only get better.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    First thanksgiving without my dad too. I feel you dude. Horrible
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    just sucha fucking heartbreaking post

hope you can get through this day
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• I'm so sorry :( I wish you all the best for tomorrow, and that it will be okay with your brother. I understand it being hard, this will be the first Thanksgiving since my mom died, it'll be 5 months on Friday :(
  • all the best...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dude i have been reading your stuff for a long time now. we have talked in pms and you are a strong person. it might not seem like it now, but it is important for you and your brother that you act strong even if you do not feel it at the moment. all of us have been through our fair share of bullshit in the last year. some of us more than others, but please keep in mind that even though you have never met me or most of the people here, just know that we are here for you and we feel your pain. this is the first time that you have had to assume the role of the people that you have lost. though nothing can prepare you or your brother for what has happened, you are a human being, and you possess the human qualities of strength and compassion. my heart aches and goes out to you for what has happened, but you have to believe that things get better from here on out. know that your dad loved you dearly, and know that your former girl did too, but sometimes things change in interpersonal relationships. do not beat yourself up over losing your girl. it is going to suck with her not being around, but your identity is more than being the boyfriend of whatshername. you have enough hats to wear, and if she is not going to go along with you on the ride then she is not the right person for you. as i told someone earlier today, friendship and love is loyalty. and over time sometimes peoples' loyalty wavers. if people that you love have wavering feelings towards you then they are not your real friends. if they stand by you and have complete loyalty to you then they are your real friends. i know that things will work out for you and your family even in the face of such heartache and bullshit. lean on your friends because that is what they are here for. and when it comes down to the time where you have to explain things to your brother just be honest and clear with him and he will understand. i hope that you can see through the interpersonal bullshit enough to enjoy yourself and enjoy the time that you will spend with your family today.

trust me, things will be better sooner than you think :D

cheers my friend,
    rod
    DS1119 wrote:
    Thanksgiving will be a tough day for me. Not only beacuse I lost my dad this year and this is the first major holiday. Not because this is the first holiday apart from the girl I shared 8 years with, but because of my brother. My older brother has cerebral palsy and is mentally retarded. I remember his face when we brought him in the hospital room and my dad's body was there but his life wasn't and he realized it. It was the most heart wrenching thing I have ever seen to see his face transfrom from ignorance to total sadness. The girl I'm talking about, Theresa would hug my brother and give him a kiss whenever they saw each other...reach out to him and not be afraid. Afraid like he was some weird monster. That's one of the biggest reasons I fell so much in love with her. My brother adores this girl. Not many people are comfortable around the handicapped and disabled and she was fine with it. I'm dreading today when my brother asks me "WHere's Theresa"? I don't know what the fuck to say? I know how bad I'll be feeling sitting at the table and I can't imagine how he will be feeling? :(
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,687
    Very sad, all the best to you.
    Important thing is that you still have your brother, make the best of it :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    HUGS DS. Anyone else who will be there who knows what you are going through who can shoulder this with you? I know you are concerned about how this will impact your brother, but remember to take care of yourself also.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    So sorry to hear this. I can't imagine having to deal with all those emotions on one single day. Hopefully you think of some things you are thankful for and that will boost your spirits. Sending good vibes your way my friend.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    You sound like an awesome guy. This year will be very hard for you, but I promise it will get better. Only time will soften the pain of such awful losses. You need to take today one moment at a time, and try to be grateful for what you do have. Your mom and bro need you. Hugs and much love going out to you.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    So sorry this is going to be such a rough day for you...take this time to give your mom and brother a little extra love.
    And know that you have many people here that are here for you and will be thinking about you!
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Sorry to hear it. Holidays are definitely more difficult after the loss of a loved one. Hang in there.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,937
    DS just try keep a smile on your face and let the hug linger a little longer.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. It's going to be tough but I have to do it.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,841
    If you set yourself up for a sad day it will be a sad day.
    Don't say it sucks shes not here, say its fucking great that my bro IS here and I am going to enjoy this time with family. At the end of the day, that's all we have bro. Don't wallow in your sadness. Shake it off and enjoy what you DO have, and not what you do not have.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Get_Right wrote:
    If you set yourself up for a sad day it will be a sad day.
    Don't say it sucks shes not here, say its fucking great that my bro IS here and I am going to enjoy this time with family.
    Shake it off and enjoy what you DO have, and not what you do not have.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I could not have said it better.

Enjoy the time with your brother and your family today.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,716
    Very sorry to hear this, DS1119 . You have a ton of support here- I'm glad you're here and willing to share with us. Hang in there, friend- I'm putting out good thoughts for you today.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    stay positive, enjoy your family
  • Today is supposed to be about Thanks...

You will find the things you are thankful for right around your table today... You have a loving family and they will get you through this... whether you want them too or not :lol:

And be thankful you have all of us :mrgreen: . .. I know I am thankful for the likes of you... :D

Ad
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941
    Today is supposed to be about Thanks...

You will find the things you are thankful for right around your table today... You have a loving family and they will get you through this... whether you want them too or not :lol:

And be thankful you have all of us :mrgreen: . .. I know I am thankful for the likes of you... :D

Ad
    I agree with BD.

My Thanksgiving is going to have an element of sadness to it, but I'm going to concentrate on all the love that's going to be in the room.

Hang in there....things will get better....and I'll keep you in my thoughts.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wishing you the very best
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • shermsherm Posts: 708
    I read this last night and I didnt really know what to say, I really feel for you. Best wishes to you and your brother today. I hope he takes things a little better than you are anticipating. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    damn, dude, that is some post. your lady friend sounds like a wonderful person. yeah i had a ache inside when reading your message. i wish you and your family all wellness and happiness. strength is a good wish too.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I am so sorry to hear about your day. as a person who has lost both parents and one recent i can only tell you that try to enjoy the time you have with your family. it will not be the same thing but it can still be good.

wish the best to you and your family.
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Hey man, how'd your day go?
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Kind of shitty actually. That's why I'm drinking and laughing it off! :thumbup: