After 100+ weeks...

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I finally got an email asking for an interview!

I have been following dc's 'interview tips' thread...but I have a question.

My last job told me, "Hope your surgery goes well, don't come back" :x

When this new place asks, "Why did you leave your last job?"

uuuhhhh.... :? I don't know what to say...
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    to go and help starving people all over the world and help raise sea turtles @ some sanctuary :twisted:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    just say that you were laid off.
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Say you left due to a health issue that is completely resolved now. They cannot ask you for any mroe details.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    First..Congrats and good luck!!

Second...I think this is good...be honest, but don't feel like you need to give details.
    morello wrote:
    Say you left due to a health issue that is completely resolved now. They cannot ask you for any mroe details.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    afroannnie wrote:

Second...I think this is good...be honest, but don't feel like you need to give details.
    morello wrote:

uhhh...I don't want to use that since the job before that I had to leave due to health issues (being harassed at work)...I don't want to look like I'm gonna flake out. Been with each company for 5+ years.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

morello wrote:

uhhh...I don't want to use that since the job before that I had to leave due to health issues (being harassed at work)...I don't want to look like I'm gonna flake out. Been with each company for 5+ years.

Hmmm...that's a tough one. Was there anything that you didn't like about your last job that you could use as a positive?
    When I left my last job, for the job I have now (same company,different department), I said that I wanted to leave my current job because it was challenging enough...it was the truth (also my boss at the time was an ass) and it was something positive because it showed I was eager to learn and work hard...
  • mcgavinjmcgavinj Posts: 311
    Claim you had artistic differences.
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    you had a health related problem that affected your ability to work. the problem is resolved and you're ready to work.

Period.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941
    RKCNDY wrote:

maybe they won't ask. maybe they'll just be blown away by your RKCNDYness! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

maybe they won't ask. maybe they'll just be blown away by your RKCNDYness! :mrgreen:

they'll be blown away by my 'dog lover'-ness!

they are a doggie based company...can't get my hopes up too much.

need. to. stay. calm.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i would advise "downsized" as the answer

and make sure to wear a low cut top :P :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

the owner is a woman...so unless you're the hiring manager...I think I'll keep it conservative. ;)

- Christopher McCandless
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Wear your beer can hat...no way you don't get the job.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

the owner is a woman...so unless you're the hiring manager...I think I'll keep it conservative. ;)

she's a lesbian...i know, i know. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    without knowing the details of your previous job and situation ... my only advice is that you don't want to make up stuff on the spot ... nothing worse than getting caught in something that you may not have answers to ... if they ask you something that you don't have a prepared question for - i would default to the truth ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    without knowing the details of your previous job and situation ... my only advice is that you don't want to make up stuff on the spot ... nothing worse than getting caught in something that you may not have answers to ... if they ask you something that you don't have a prepared question for - i would default to the truth ...

that would entail, "my previous employer was not willing to accomodate my needs after a surgical procedure, so I was let go" :?

- Christopher McCandless
  • I'm not sure what I'd say, but good luck to you. It seems that to even get a meeting for a job is tougher than the job itself.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    RKCNDY wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

that would entail, "my previous employer was not willing to accomodate my needs after a surgical procedure, so I was let go" :?

You were let go. Why can't you just say this?
    RKCNDY wrote:

the context doesn't seem to be too bad to me ... but i'm not the one hiring ...

my primary point is just that you don't want to make up something on the spot because it could go pear shaped fast ... it's ok to come up with something beforehand that you are more comfortable with - just saying you don't want to be in a position if they ask further questions - you either stumble or get caught saying something different ...
    Jeanwah wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

You were let go. Why can't you just say this?

I guess it's because whenever I've interviewed, the interviewer always asks "do you know why?" "what was their reasoning for letting you go?" I know to not offer too much info.
    polaris_x wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

the context doesn't seem to be too bad to me ... but i'm not the one hiring ...

my primary point is just that you don't want to make up something on the spot because it could go pear shaped fast ... it's ok to come up with something beforehand that you are more comfortable with - just saying you don't want to be in a position if they ask further questions - you either stumble or get caught saying something different ...

if I said that...I am also revealing illegal business practices. In the US, it is illegal for a company to deny an employee of one year or more unpaid leave to take care of family/medical needs. It can be a sticky situation.

- Christopher McCandless
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    It seems like that shouldn't be YOUR concern though. If the company did something that isn't really legal, how does that reflect badly on you?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    RKCNDY wrote:
    if I said that...I am also revealing illegal business practices. In the US, it is illegal for a company to deny an employee of one year or more unpaid leave to take care of family/medical needs. It can be a sticky situation.

well ... if that is the truth - then i don't think you need to hide from it ... but again - if you feel like it would hinder your prospects - then you have to account for that ...

my first job interview out of school basically went like this:

Q: do you know ... <insert about 15 questions>
    A: no - i am not too familiar with ...

the questions i did know the answers to - i answered confidently and correctly ... got the job ...
    Are you trying to avoid mentioning the surgery because you don't want them to ask you what kind it was?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    Are you trying to avoid mentioning the surgery because you don't want them to ask you what kind it was?

no, I have no problem telling them about the surgery. I just may need more surgeries in the future. I guess I will just tell them I requested time off for surgery, and was let go. Let that statement reflect on the previous employer.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    justam wrote:

no, I have no problem telling them about the surgery. I just may need more surgeries in the future. I guess I will just tell them I requested time off for surgery, and was let go. Let that statement reflect on the previous employer.

They can't discriminate that against you though, and if they do, you don't want to work for them anyway. I'd just be honest if I were you, you'll see what kind of company they are based on how they respond.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    justam wrote:

I think that's probably the way to go.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    So the interview was a 'getting to know you' group interview.

I was the only one that brought a portfolio with my resume and notepad. :? I felt very :geek:

Anyway, I have a good feeling about getting called for a second interview. Should know in a few days.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

I was the only one that brought a portfolio with my resume and notepad. :? I felt very :geek:

Anyway, I have a good feeling about getting called for a second interview. Should know in a few days.

wtf is a group interview? you selling knives or something door to door?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:

Yay! :clap: I hope you get a 2nd interview! :D
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    RKCNDY wrote:

Congrats!! 8-)