Does anyone know...

2»

Comments

• oona left wrote:
    This thread has inspired me.

Theoretically, I could download, say, videos from a certain tour, and make my own DVD, right?

And I've been spending my time reading. Tsk!!

Yes, you can. You can copy them to a disk 'as is' (mpg.4 or other format) and they might play on some DVD players and on your computer. Or you can convert them to video_ts files and they will play just like a DVD on any DVD player. You can download a program like ImgBurn to help you do this - it's pretty easy. I have done it a couple of times with items that I want to keep that are not available on DVD and never will be. But depending upon video quality, you may not want to watch some of this stuff on a really large screen - if the video isn't great, it won't look very good.
  • Stop giving him too many options, making it hard for the guy to decide! :lol:

He can do it however he likes. I'm just pointing out to everyone in the thread how easy it is to post videos to FB. I do it all the time with a few clicks - no copying/pasting even. Way easy. And it's not just posting YouTube videos - any time you see an article or whatever online and want to post it to your FB feed, you can click a 'share' button (that is present nearly all the time these days) and go through the process I described.

I've done it with CNN, The Onion, The Daily Show, Ultimate Classic Rock, and several other sites.
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Hey thnx for the info about how to make something so it will play in a DVD player I have SO much stuff(DVDs I've burned or friends have sent me) that will play in my computer but not in my DVD player. If you have more info about this would be FAB! :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • morello wrote:
    Hey thnx for the info about how to make something so it will play in a DVD player I have SO much stuff(DVDs I've burned or friends have sent me) that will play in my computer but not in my DVD player. If you have more info about this would be FAB! :)

http://www.imgburn.com/

You can download the program for free there. The instructions are very good and better than anything I could type out to explain it. Really, the program is pretty easy to use, even without reading the instructions - very user-friendly and intuitive.

I should mention that I purchase DVDs where I can - I'm not advocating piracy. But alot of the video on YouTube (especially alot of the PJ video) is shot by individuals (fellow fans) - and will never be on DVD. That is the sort of thing I might use this program on.

I have only used it a few times though. Remember, if the picture quality is only 'okay' on your computer screen, it is going to be worse than okay on a TV screen that is larger because you lose resolution. Ditto, to a certain extent with sound quality. The only things worth burning to DVD, therefore, are shows that have good sound quality and picture quality (shot in HD would be ideal). Converting to video_ts takes up more space on a disc than do the .mpegs or whatever. So you will be able to burn less things to a single disc. Therefore, you ONLY want to burn to disc video_ts files that you will really want to watch on your TV over and over. Things that are in poor picture or audio quality, you won't want to watch over and over on your TV, I wouldn't think. So keep that in mind. There are very few videos on YouTube that meet my standards for items I'd want to burn to video_ts. I have always purchased things that are available for purchase (I own all the commercially released PJ videos - as most of us do, I'm sure)...and there are not many fan-shot videos that are good picture quality, good sound quality, and without tons of shake, video shot of the backs of people's heads or hands in the air, etc.

Be very selective, is what I'm saying. Blank DVDs are not cheap...and burning stuff that is not in good quality is likely to be a disappointing experience. ;)
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    morello wrote:

http://www.imgburn.com/

You can download the program for free there. The instructions are very good and better than anything I could type out to explain it. Really, the program is pretty easy to use, even without reading the instructions - very user-friendly and intuitive.

I should mention that I purchase DVDs where I can - I'm not advocating piracy. But alot of the video on YouTube (especially alot of the PJ video) is shot by individuals (fellow fans) - and will never be on DVD. That is the sort of thing I might use this program on.

I have only used it a few times though. Remember, if the picture quality is only 'okay' on your computer screen, it is going to be worse than okay on a TV screen that is larger because you lose resolution. Ditto, to a certain extent with sound quality. The only things worth burning to DVD, therefore, are shows that have good sound quality and picture quality (shot in HD would be ideal). Converting to video_ts takes up more space on a disc than do the .mpegs or whatever. So you will be able to burn less things to a single disc. Therefore, you ONLY want to burn to disc video_ts files that you will really want to watch on your TV over and over. Things that are in poor picture or audio quality, you won't want to watch over and over on your TV, I wouldn't think. So keep that in mind. There are very few videos on YouTube that meet my standards for items I'd want to burn to video_ts. I have always purchased things that are available for purchase (I own all the commercially released PJ videos - as most of us do, I'm sure)...and there are not many fan-shot videos that are good picture quality, good sound quality, and without tons of shake, video shot of the backs of people's heads or hands in the air, etc.

Be very selective, is what I'm saying. Blank DVDs are not cheap...and burning stuff that is not in good quality is likely to be a disappointing experience. ;)

Excellent tips.

I started burning DVDs of my nephew's basketball games last winter. I found out then that it can be a moderately expensive habit if you're not careful.

Thanks for all your help!
  • PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Stop giving him too many options, making it hard for the guy to decide! :lol:

He can do it however he likes. I'm just pointing out to everyone in the thread how easy it is to post videos to FB. I do it all the time with a few clicks - no copying/pasting even. Way easy. And it's not just posting YouTube videos - any time you see an article or whatever online and want to post it to your FB feed, you can click a 'share' button (that is present nearly all the time these days) and go through the process I described.

I've done it with CNN, The Onion, The Daily Show, Ultimate Classic Rock, and several other sites.

I was only joking lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Thanks so much PKTrekGirl!! :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011