Options

high school reunion

2»

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    81 wrote:
    My 10th reunion is actually coming up thanksgiving weekend. I would go, but I have a wedding to go to that night.

who does a reunion thanksgiving weekend?

and for that matter...who gets married that weekend

I can kidna see the reunion thing since a lot of people are back in town for the holiday, but the wedding thing really sucks. It will be a fun wedding, but not exactly the way I want to spend my extended period of time away from work....gotta go to the rehearsal dinner too since the fiance is a bridesmaid in the wedding.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    cool story curly
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    a few years back, I was finally invited to one of the reunions. I find out the only reason I was invited was that my step brother gave the committee my email address. In the email invite, they said something like "we are so glad we finally located you after all these years". My reply to them was something like this:

It took you twenty years to locate me? Why? I never moved away, have had my number in the phone book all along, I show up in Google. I was never invited to any of the previous reunions. No thanks.

Needless to say that was my one and only invitation. Jackasses - then and now. This year is 25th.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    a few years back, I was finally invited to one of the reunions. I find out the only reason I was invited was that my step brother gave the committee my email address. In the email invite, they said something like "we are so glad we finally located you after all these years". My reply to them was something like this:

It took you twenty years to locate me? Why? I never moved away, have had my number in the phone book all along, I show up in Google. I was never invited to any of the previous reunions. No thanks.

Needless to say that was my one and only invitation. Jackasses - then and now. This year is 25th.

awesome
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i think we should have a PJ20 reunion....say next labor day.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

will I be invited?
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

will I be invited?

it will be self invite.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

will I be invited?

it will be self invite.

haha! excellent. I will pencil that in
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

will I be invited?

it will be self invite.

at 81's pad? I have the addy...

81 Alpine Ave
    Chicagoland, IL
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    81 wrote:

I can kidna see the reunion thing since a lot of people are back in town for the holiday, but the wedding thing really sucks. It will be a fun wedding, but not exactly the way I want to spend my extended period of time away from work....gotta go to the rehearsal dinner too since the fiance is a bridesmaid in the wedding.
    I got married over Thanksgiving weekend.

See, the thing about most weddings is that attendance isn't compulsory. Lots of people we invited declined the invitation, including someone who was going to be one of my groomsmen.

Besides, if you get a 4-day weekend (not everyone does, of course) and you take one day out of it for someone, they still have 75% of that weekend. If it's a standard 2-day weekend, you're taking up 50% of it.

Also, a few of the bridesmaids came in from out of town, so it made their travel a bit easier.
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    81 wrote:

I got married over Thanksgiving weekend.

See, the thing about most weddings is that attendance isn't compulsory. Lots of people we invited declined the invitation, including someone who was going to be one of my groomsmen.

Besides, if you get a 4-day weekend (not everyone does, of course) and you take one day out of it for someone, they still have 75% of that weekend. If it's a standard 2-day weekend, you're taking up 50% of it.

Also, a few of the bridesmaids came in from out of town, so it made their travel a bit easier.

maybe...but it just seems like an odd weekend...

and now that the big ten allows confrences games that weekend....that puts OSU vs. MI on sat. can't be missing that for a wedding...although i did go to a wedding once on rivalry day. talk about red neck...guys were wearing sneakers with suits. :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    What do you mean "now" that the Big Ten allows conference games that weekend?

They've been doing this as long as I can remember.
  • Options
    Know what's an even stranger time to schedule a wedding? New year's eve. I went to one of those once.
  • Options
    JTH wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... ange_N.htm

seems a mixed bag....the big ten tradition was to have all games wrapped up the sat before thanksgiving.

it was a big to do back in 06 when the buckeyes played florida in the bcs bowl because the buckeyes would be off 42 days or so, while florida played 2 more games after thanksgiving.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    JTH wrote:
    Know what's an even stranger time to schedule a wedding? New year's eve. I went to one of those once.

Oh, ugh. We had two of those, back-to-back years. Both black tie.

Gimmeafuckinbreak.

We knew way in advance, so Mr. Unlost actually bought a tux. Turns out it was cheaper to do that than it was to rent one twice. I had to buy two evening gowns. Gimmieafuckinbreak x2.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    JTH wrote:

fuck that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i doubt i'll ever attend any of my high school reunions. i didn't enjoy school or most of the people in my class. when i was there i was usually drunk or blowed away on something anyways. fuck a buncha my class, man.

a friend and i partied all night usually and slept at school. by this time he was into shooting dope so he was sleeping on the floor beside his desk alot. mostly i snorted the stuff and didn't have instant access to it like my partner did.

so no im not really interested in any high school reunions. now my brother, Dung, he has no problem attending my high school reunion pretending to be me.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    JTH wrote:

Had to fly all the way across the country for one of these once........and it was a fucking cash bar. I couldn't believe it....
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    JTH wrote:

Had to fly all the way across the country for one of these once........and it was a fucking cash bar. I couldn't believe it....

Wow...flying across the country AND a cash bar wedding??? That is fucking brutal. I would have taken some money out of the envelope.
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i hope i get invited to my high school reunion.... just so i can tell them all to go fuck themselves :P
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    conman wrote:
    i hope i get invited to my high school reunion.... just so i can tell them all to go fuck themselves :P

:lol: That's what Facebook's for.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    conman wrote:
    nicely done
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    JTH wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... ange_N.htm

seems a mixed bag....the big ten tradition was to have all games wrapped up the sat before thanksgiving.

it was a big to do back in 06 when the buckeyes played florida in the bcs bowl because the buckeyes would be off 42 days or so, while florida played 2 more games after thanksgiving.
    It says right in that article "Since President Franklin Roosevelt signed legislation in 1941 that officially decreed the fourth Thursday of November as Thanksgiving, the Ohio State-Michigan game has been played after Thanksgiving 16 times, but only four times in the past 29 years. The most recent was in 2001"
    so, as I said, this is hardly something new.
  • Options
    :lol:

i said mix bagged.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think I'd ever attend a class reunion. I can't imagine anything more awkward than standing around in a room full of people who are basically strangers who only know the teenage versions of each other. There are very few people from high school I'd like to catch up with and I doubt they'd be at a class reunion, so I'd be stuck pretending to care about people whose names I wouldn't remember without a name tag and I don't forsee that playing out well for anyone involved.
  • Options
    I went to my 10 year reunion last summer and actually had a lot of fun. I met up with an old buddy that I was best friends with from like 1st - 7th grade and hadn't talked to at all since we graduated and now we are good friends again. I'm glad I went, my wife basically dragged me there because I had zero interest in going.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I had to buy two evening gowns. Gimmieafuckinbreak x2.

This post is useless without pictures....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    theres a facebook page for my reunion. i don't even know who these people are. thought i'd remember more
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    People are not at all what you think they are...
    most of the time that is a pleasant surprise :D