Weird places to eat...

2»

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    Soooooo.....

Tony packos :lol:

Just googled it....looks pretty good.

I have eaten at so many weird places but I can't remember the names...makes it difficult to post them! :lol:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Dick's Last Resort. I think they have them multiple places, but I've been to the one in Dallas. Like the name implies, all the waiters act like dicks. They talk trash, throw your napkins at you, if you ask for a refill tell you to get it yourself, and all kinds of stuff.

The last time I was there I went to the bathroom and came back to the table where the waiter asked me if I washed my hands. I said yes, and he asked me what color the soap was. I couldn't remember so he announced to the entire restaurant that I went to the bathroom and came back to the table without washing my hands.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    Dick's Last Resort. I think they have them multiple places, but I've been to the one in Dallas. Like the name implies, all the waiters act like dicks. They talk trash, throw your napkins at you, if you ask for a refill tell you to get it yourself, and all kinds of stuff.

The last time I was there I went to the bathroom and came back to the table where the waiter asked me if I washed my hands. I said yes, and he asked me what color the soap was. I couldn't remember so he announced to the entire restaurant that I went to the bathroom and came back to the table without washing my hands.
    some people from work were just talking about that place yesterday... i've never been there but it seems like a place i would enjoy :? :lol:
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Been wanting to try the not-so-new-anymore restaurant and bar that was built in a former jail in Boston. The bar is called "Clink."
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Been wanting to try the not-so-new-anymore restaurant and bar that was built in a former jail in Boston. The bar is called "Clink."
    there's a bar on base here called 'the brig and brew' it used to be a jail

there's nothing weird about it except the fact that it used to be a jail
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    conman wrote:
    there's a bar on base here called 'the brig and brew' it used to be a jail

there's nothing weird about it except the fact that it used to be a jail

Well that's :|
    :lol:

Here's a weird place to eat: In the middle of the trauma unit. We used to do it all the time. I think it's pretty much forbidden now. Frigging regulations.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    So these "hidden" places are weird to me but were the rage in NYC a few years ago and seem to be making a comeback. I tend to go only if a friend wants to check them out, but these two were actually great!

PDT (Please Don't Tell): Small bar adjacent to Crif Dogs (yummy!!!). To enter, you need to walk into Crif Dogs, go into the "phone booth" and pick up the phone. You tell the person on the line how many people, and they will let you in if they have room. If you get in, drinks are actually really good and you can order hot dogs from Crif Dogs (YUMMY!!). Bartenders really friendly. No attitude, it's just tiny and you feel weird standing in the phone booth...

Beauty & Essex: Restaurant "hidden" behind a pawn shop storefront. You walk into the pawn shop, look lost and the big bouncer dude will open the door for you and say "enjoy". Food's actually pretty good. A bit of a scene but if you can get past that, not a bad place to spend a Friday night. Again, no attitude. The bouncer doesn't even try to fake not knowing why you are there like some of these other hidden places.

Sorry for contributing to the derailment before, I will try to behave :oops: :oops:
    There's an Italian Restaurant in Dallas called Campisi's that I really like. There is nothing weird about it per se, but Jack Ruby used to be a regular there back in the day and ate there the night before he killed Oswald, so it always seems so strange eating there. There have been several more built in the area, but the original one on Mockingbird Ln. (called Campisi's Egyptian Lounge) is the one Ruby used to go to. The original owner (Joseph Campisi, his descendants still own the chain) was tied to organized crime, and a lot of stuff supposedly went down there.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Church brewery
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

I went to the one in Vegas...Excalibur I believe. It is comical. The more the waitress insulted us the more I wanted to tip her!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

I went to the one in Vegas...Excalibur I believe. It is comical. The more the waitress insulted us the more I wanted to tip her!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, they're hilarious, they are actually trained to be obnoxious. I like the paper hats they write the mean shit on. I saw a picture on the internet of a girl wearing one where the waiter had written "So easy a caveman can do it", and one of a guy that said "My Date For Tonight" with a picture of a hand drawn beneath it. I had a waiter write "Poster Child For Birth Control" on mine once.
    Yeah, they're hilarious, they are actually trained to be obnoxious. I like the paper hats they write the mean shit on. I saw a picture on the internet of a girl wearing one where the waiter had written "So easy a caveman can do it", and one of a guy that said "My Date For Tonight" with a picture of a hand drawn beneath it. I had a waiter write "Poster Child For Birth Control" on mine once.

In Vegas they wrote on mine "I'm with her" and pointed an arrow to my fiance. On hers they wrote "I'm blind". :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

In Vegas they wrote on mine "I'm with her" and pointed an arrow to my fiance. On hers they wrote "I'm blind". :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Chef Point Cafe just outside Ft. Worth, TX. A gourmet restaurant inside a gas station.

5_star_restaurant_fort_worth.jpg

The food is fabulous. I haven't been there since they recently enlarged the restaurant. It was originally just a little hole in the wall.

They've been written about in national publications. It's not a gas station that was converted to a cafe. The people who own it wanted to open a restaurant but couldn't get a loan. So they got a loan to open a gas station and put a restaurant in it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Opaque in Santa Monica

You get a complimentary drink while you order in the light, but then they take you into the dining area and lead you to your table in the complete dark. The waiters that lead you to the table and serve you are also legally blind. Pricey, but good food. Senses kind of go on overload. Really interesting concept.
    Suave.27 wrote:
    Opaque in Santa Monica

You get a complimentary drink while you order in the light, but then they take you into the dining area and lead you to your table in the complete dark. The waiters that lead you to the table and serve you are also legally blind. Pricey, but good food. Senses kind of go on overload. Really interesting concept.

Wow.
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Suave.27 wrote:
    Opaque in Santa Monica

Same thing exists here in Zurich (called Blinde Kuh, or Blind Cow - it's derived from the name of a popular children's game). I've never been there but heard that it is a very special experience. They even claim to have been the first in the world to take up the concept...

http://www.blindekuh.ch/en/blindekuh_zuerich/
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Suave.27 wrote:
    Opaque in Santa Monica

thats really cool
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I highly recommend it. There's one in San Fran and New York. It looks like on their website they're opening one in San Diego and Dallas.

http://www.darkdining.com/index_main.php
  • I live about 5 minutes from a little seafood resaturant called Clarks Fish Camp. It's right on Julington Creek, just off the St. Johns River. Anyway, in addition to the normal seafood fare, they have some crazy menu items (ostrich, rattlesnake, alligator, eel, rabbit, buffalo, antelope, etc.) the entire restaurant is also FILLED with taxidermied animals. Check it out!
    http://clarksfishcamp.com/Default.aspx
    Oh, and how can I forget the 56 oz prime rib!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

:lol:
    That sounds a lot like Ed Debevic's in downtown Chicago. It's a hamburger joint with a '50's theme to it and the waiters trash talk everyone. The last time I was there my phone rang while the waiter was at our table, he answered my phone and went around the restaurant taking orders...the whole time talking to the person that called me!

http://www.eddebevics.com/flash.html
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Went to this place in Phoenix. What made it cool is all of the employees wear face paint like Alice Cooper.

http://www.alicecooperstown.com/
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Suave.27 wrote:
    Opaque in Santa Monica

Reminds me of the time I went to Sizzler, and the power went out so we ate in the dark!