Movies that make you go hmmmmmmm???

Comments

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Loulou wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Almost forgot Vanilla Sky...there's a lot of hate for that movie and I hate Tom Cruise, but it was a clever flick.
    Was that the one where he's wearing that wierd mask?

Yup. Directed by Cameron Crowe too!
    Really???? Wow I didn't know that. It was pretty cool though hey, the way he decided to make another life for himself. Very cool idea.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Tideland is by far one of the strangest and most disturbing films I've ever seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pySXc-6GoU

I couldn't (and still can't) decide if it's groundbreaking or repulsive. Just when you think it can't be pushed any farther...it is. Gilliam is a lunatic.

Does it come with hits of acid? :lol: Looks interesting for sure!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Tideland is by far one of the strangest and most disturbing films I've ever seen...

I couldn't (and still can't) decide if it's groundbreaking or repulsive. Just when you think it can't be pushed any farther...it is. Gilliam is a lunatic.
    WOW :shock: I kinda feel like a bit of a loony saying this but that actually looked pretty cool. :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:

Does it come with hits of acid? :lol: Looks interesting for sure!

It would not be a good idea if it did. You would lose your mind! :shock:
    Loulou wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    WOW :shock: I kinda feel like a bit of a loony saying this but that actually looked pretty cool. :lol:

It's very good, it is just not for the faint of heart. I've never seen a movie before where there is a personal disclaimer from the director at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRcvDaw0WB4

You have to really be able to forgive some pretty disturbing things to get through this movie. I've never been so close to turning a movie off yet still finding it mesmerizing at the same time. It's like Alice In Wonderland if Alice jammed a needle full of Heroin in her arm every 20 minutes.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,708
    I saw "Limitless" recently which I thought was both weird and cool. I love the idea of being able to use my entire brain but to take the drug? Doubtful.

The weirdest of the weird was Federico Fellini's "Juliet of the Spirits". Fascinating, bizarre, amazing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• My gf made me watch Rocky Horror Picture Show the other night. I realize it came out forever ago but I've never really thought about watching it. She was a theatre major and thinks its amazing and knows every word and song. I thought it was humorous and entertaining, but very strange and a little disturbing haha.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Heisenberg wrote:
    It's very good, it is just not for the faint of heart. I've never seen a movie before where there is a personal disclaimer from the director at the beginning.

You have to really be able to forgive some pretty disturbing things to get through this movie. I've never been so close to turning a movie off yet still finding it mesmerizing at the same time. It's like Alice In Wonderland if Alice jammed a needle full of Heroin in her arm every 20 minutes.

WOW. I really hope it's on Netflix. I must watch this movie!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:

WOW. I really hope it's on Netflix. I must watch this movie!

It is, but don't say I didn't warn you. It's twisted.
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Heisenberg wrote:

I think I've heard of that before...can't remember if I added it to my netflix...my queue is sooo long.

Have you seen Happiness? Is it more disturbing than that movie?
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    afroannnie wrote:
    Have you seen Happiness? Is it more disturbing than that movie?

I watched the beginning of Happiness and was so bored by it that I shut it off. To me there are movies that intentionally try to shock, disturb, or disgust audiences, Those films don't bother me (or interest me much) because their intent is obvious (i.e. "Kids") and there really isn't alot being said beyond "we want to shock you".
    Then there are films that deal with certain difficult topics in such a way that it has the same effect of shock or disturbance but on a much more raw or realistic level. Tideland is the latter of these two.
    It's been a long time since I've seen it, but what I remember consistantly popping into my mind was "what parent allowed their daughter to act in this film"? Again, it's a good movie and it has somethig to say, but I kept coming back to the idea of "how do you explain to the little girl playing Jeliza Rose what it is that she is doing in the film and why". I mean I understand it's all "make-believe" but at some point you have to explain to your kid what some of this means. It's a crazy film.
    After last night, I'd like to add "The Tree of Life" to this list. I'm still scratching my head.
  • I remember that we made schemes to find out the plot and the logic behind it after I watched The Crimson Rivers by Mathieu Kassovitz with friends. There was something in the plot that just didn't work :think:

Repulsion by Polanski and 12 Monkeys were really weird too. And I never understood Mondo Cane :?
  • Heisenberg wrote:
    After last night, I'd like to add "The Tree of Life" to this list. I'm still scratching my head.

Somehow I always think of The Fountain when I'm hearing this title. That was also a weird movie. But one with fantastic cinematography!
    Leeze wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:

Somehow I always think of The Fountain when I'm hearing this title. That was also a weird movie. But one with fantastic cinematography!

Same with The Tree of Life. The cinematography is amazing, not to mention, Douglas Trumbell did the visual effects which marks his first film since Blade Runner. However, either I'm not smart enough to figure it out or it's just a very vague film, but I didn't get it. I got the overall message, but there is a ton about the film where I was left scratching my head.
    I watched Tideland the other night. Uh..wow.
    afroannnie wrote:

"Um...wow" as in good or "um...wow" as in scarred you for life? :lol:
    Remember...I tried to warn you
    Heisenberg wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Slightly scarred...definitely some parts that made me squirm and look away. Terry Gilliam's mind must be a scary place to visit.
    Yes..you warned me...but I'm not very good at following warnings... :lol:
    afroannnie wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Slightly scarred...definitely some parts that made me squirm and look away. Terry Gilliam's mind must be a scary place to visit.
    Yes..you warned me...but I'm not very good at following warnings... :lol:

I tried to tell you. That movie will leave a stain on your brain. I remember watching it and several times thinking..."should I still be watching this?" and then thinking "it can't get any worse right?" but yet it always did. It's been years since I've seen it and I still can't decide if it's a good movie touching on several really stomach-churning subjects in a very raw way OR is it a shitty movie that is just trying to shock it's viewers by being a demented and twisted freakfest.
    Doesn't it make you question what kind deep seeded effects it has on child actors in movies like that? Like how do you explain to a child her/his scenes in that movie and what is going on? I guess the girl in The Exorcist went kinda loopy didn't she? :?

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:
    Doesn't it make you question what kind deep seeded effects it has on child actors in movies like that? Like how do you explain to a child her/his scenes in that movie and what is going on? I guess the girl in The Exorcist went kinda loopy didn't she? :?

Yes...I'm not sure how old the girl in Tideland was..but she looked pretty young...and there was some pretty messed up stuff in that movie.
    I always think about the kid that played "Danny" in the Shining too...
    Loulou wrote:

I said the same thing a few pages back on this thread! :)
    I guess great minds think alike.
    I don't know how as a parent you can read this script and say "yup...I'll let my 11 year old daughter (which is how old the actress who played Jeliza-Rose was when the film was RELEASED, so who knows how old she was when it was shot) be in this"...AND I'M NOT EVEN A PARENT! :lol:
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Heisenberg wrote:

Watched this Saturday, great cinematography. But the three of us just looked at each other when it finished and sort of collectively went 'ummmm'.
    Claireack wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:

Watched this Saturday, great cinematography. But the three of us just looked at each other when it finished and sort of collectively went 'ummmm'.

Agreed. I read an interview with Sean Penn about that movie where he basically said "I don't understand why my charecter was even in the film". It's pretty bad when the actors don't understand the film they acted in. Apparantly Sean was not pleased with the final cut of the movie. Cinematography is awesome though.
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

I said the same thing a few pages back on this thread! :)
    I guess great minds think alike.
    Oh you did too! My bad! :lol::D
    Crazy hey? I would never let my little one be in a movie like that. :? Oh and hell yes! I always thought that 'Danny' kid would have been scarred for life after that movie too!

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Eraserhead always makes me scratch my head, seen it a few times and have always felt slightly confused when it finishes.
    Loulou wrote:
    Crazy hey? I would never let my little one be in a movie like that. :? Oh and hell yes! I always thought that 'Danny' kid would have been scarred for life after that movie too!

Has anyone seen that kid since the movie? :?
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I still haven't properly figured out vanilla sky. good movie though.

looked up happiness after someone mentioned it here, I've actually seen it...very very weird, kinda liked it as well.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    i watched a weird one...Humble Pie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790612/

it was labeled as a comedy, watched it...laughed once.
    When it ended I thought..."that was a comedy?" :?
    usual "loner kid wants to fit in, gets mixed up with the wrong crowd, typical ending"
    i just felt really 'empty' at the end...the story lost steam halfway thru.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I don't want to get the reputation of the guy on the board who watches really disturbing films all the time, but while this one makes you go...hmmmmmm, it was still pretty good (albeit pretty twisted). It's even more impressive when you watch the Behind The Scenes and find out how it came to be and how it was made...

Bellflower:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3KX2IPTbjE
    Speaking of weird movies...I'm going to watch Bubba Ho-Tep with some friends tonight..one of them hasn't seen it so it should be interesting...and we've decided that our beverage for this evening should be duck farts.

Bubba Ho-tep + duck farts seems like a perfect mix.