Options

Nirvana or Pearl Jam......who had a better unplugged?

Comments

• Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    Nirvana's Unplugged was the best to me and it's not even close. I'd put Alice in Chains' well above Pearl Jam's as well.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    Lament wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

I was blown away by the R.E.M. and Neil Young performance on the new Bridge School collection. So amazing. I have a hard time remembering they are no longer a band. Still sad.

Man, I really need to check that collection out. Just the idea of Country Feedback with Neil Young gives me goosebumps...

The collection is so worth checking and for a great cause,too. Until then...enjoy!

http://youtu.be/8ezNjJyD4rY

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    I see AIC has been thrown in the link....

PJ-AIC-Nirvana... PJ/AIC toss up for first- All classics....
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    JP33 wrote:
    To me.....No brainer.......Nirvana
    Love PJ but that Nirvana unplugged is tough to beat. That was album of the year in my book.
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    JimmyV wrote:
    Lament wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

I was blown away by the R.E.M. and Neil Young performance on the new Bridge School collection. So amazing. I have a hard time remembering they are no longer a band. Still sad.

Man, I really need to check that collection out. Just the idea of Country Feedback with Neil Young gives me goosebumps...

The collection is so worth checking and for a great cause,too. Until then...enjoy!

http://youtu.be/8ezNjJyD4rY

Wow...speechless.

(Thanks, I may need to buy this even sooner than I had previously thought!)
  • Options
    mzklvspjmzklvspj Chicago Posts: 55
    Pearl Jam for me... Ed's voice cannot be beat. Love both but, Kurt's voice does not sound as good "unplugged"...
  • Options
    theJawastheJawas Posts: 395
    I'd go-
    1. Nirvana
    2. AIC
    3. PJ
    4. LIVE
    As others have CD, PJ were relatively new and only had one album under their belts. The entire Unplugged show raises its stock, but Nirvana's was so different than their studio albums, and AIC's built on the vibe from Jar of Flies. LIVE's is also a forgotten classic, never seen Uncle Neil's, so maybe he'd be higher otherwise.
  • Options
    I think Nirvana is as overrated as the next guy, but their Unplugged does pretty much destroy PJ's. I haven't read every post and I'm sure it was mentioned, but the fact that everything was one take is the most impressive thing to me. Not that Pearl Jam played everything five times like AIC did before they got it right, but to play as many songs completely out of their element and nail every one is tough to beat.

Now I will take Black and Porch individually over pretty much any one song from Nirvana's set, but as a whole it's not even close.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    REM was very good as well, but I like the last one better than the first one, though the last one wasn't exactly an "MTV Unplugged" show, I think, or something of the sort, it was kind of an unplugged set for MTV, but not exactly the show... Korn MTV Unplugged sucked big time, but Tony Bennett MTV Unplugged was completely awesome...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    Nirvana definitely.

Then AIC then Pearl Jam next.

STP, 10,000 Maniacs, Eric Clapton were also very good IMO
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,950
    Benaroya Hall... That is all...
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,950
    Benaroya

+1 :)
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    mzklvspj wrote:
    Pearl Jam for me... Ed's voice cannot be beat. Love both but, Kurt's voice does not sound as good "unplugged"...

I respectfully disagree with Kurt's voice. His voice sends chills on "Where did you sleep last night." Legendary.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I am also a fan of the Robert Plant Jimmy Page No Quarter CD but I never saw the MTV Unplugged special. In terms of SONICS, what a record....
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    I am also a fan of the Robert Plant Jimmy Page No Quarter CD but I never saw the MTV Unplugged special. In terms of SONICS, what a record....

No Quarter
    is
    AMAZING.
  • Options
    abhijeetabhijeet Posts: 303

No Quarter
    is
    AMAZING.

Agreed.
    Seattle 2009-09-21
    Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    what about tesla - 5 man acustical jam, any love for that here. i think its an amazing acustic album ??
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    wait... was pearl jam unplugged in that show??? maybe the instruments but they were more plugged into the music than the "show" and the drums were loud as hell (not like dave grohl playing like a girl with a ponytail)
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Options
    sonnysonny Posts: 132
    shadowcast wrote:
    JP33 wrote:
    To me.....No brainer.......Nirvana
    Love PJ but that Nirvana unplugged is tough to beat. That was album of the year in my book.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Nirvana's Unplugged was the best to me and it's not even close. I'd put Alice in Chains' well above Pearl Jam's as well.

agree with both of these...don't get me wrong, Pearl Jam is my band...but that Nirvana show was magical, as was AIC... PJ's show would be a lot more interesting if they had some more albums under their belt when they did it...just my opinion of course...
  • Options
    bennett13 wrote:
    I like both, but prefer Pearl Jam's because it seems to better sonically represent the "unplugged" concept.

I've seen the video of Nirvana...I see acoustic guitars, but what I hear sounds awfully electric. Maybe it's just me.

WTF?! Really? I'd say the EXACT opposite! Nirvana's sounds way closer to an acoustic performance, the drumming is significantly more restrained, the cello etc......

Nirvana's performance is more restrained...that's true. I was referring more to the timbre of the guitars. Sounds pretty damn electric to me, whereas PJ's guitars may be more aggressive, but they still sound acoustic.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Having listened to AIC's Unplugged today for the first time in ages I'd have to say AIC is my favourite. Then Nirvana and Pearl Jam. All 3 are great mind. But PJ is 3rd because they've never released the show on cd
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    what about tesla - 5 man acustical jam, any love for that here. i think its an amazing acustic album ??
    I loved that album!! I still have it boxed somewhere on cd but I've not heard it in a good few years now. I may be wrong but weren't those Tesla shows a big influence in the birth of the MTV Unplugged series? Shame they didn't do one because they did an excellent job acoustically. I loved how Comin' Atcha Live segued into The Grateful Dead's Truckin' and there were some other great covers too. The crowd singing on Love Song was good enough to rival a PJ singalong. Cheers Robert, I'm going to locate that cd I think.... ;)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    veddertown wrote:
    I loved that album!! I still have it boxed somewhere on cd but I've not heard it in a good few years now. I may be wrong but weren't those Tesla shows a big influence in the birth of the MTV Unplugged series? Shame they didn't do one because they did an excellent job acoustically. I loved how Comin' Atcha Live segued into The Grateful Dead's Truckin' and there were some other great covers too. The crowd singing on Love Song was good enough to rival a PJ singalong. Cheers Robert, I'm going to locate that cd I think.... ;)

yes i think your right, that that show was a big influnce on the birth of mtv unplugged, i didn't want to say, incase i was wrong in my remembering,
    us seniors ( :lol: ) who lived through this period remember small details like this.
    enjoy the album... i always go back to it from time to time.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    I guess if I had to pick between only these two, I'd go with PJ's....although they didn't really change the songs that much for Unplugged. They just played different guitars. :lol: Honestly, I think Ed in particular had a hard time with the Unplugged format. It was pretty obvious that he wanted to cut loose, as usual...but cutting loose is not really what the Unplugged format is about.

But in truth, I'd have to go with choice #3 - "OTHER". Which, in my world translates to Alice In Chains. They were brilliant on Unplugged...even with Layne barely able to stand, they were brilliant. Interestingly, AIC's music was surprisingly adaptable to the Unplugged format...and they played great. And given his condition at the time, Layne was very good.

In my universe, Alice In Chains rulz the Unplugged format.
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    Alice in Chains
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I was thinking about the nirvana unplugged today and wondering if MTV was pissed initially about the song selection. I think about 6 songs aren't their own but it still is my all time favorite albums.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    AiC
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    I think Jeff's hat serves as the tiebreaker. Pearl Jam had the best one.

Seriously, except for Stone's guitar in the beginning of Alive, this is one of my favorites and contains my favorite versions of some of their songs. I mean, Jeremy is just explosive!

Nirvana's was good, but the stage set was over the top and unnecessary. Pearl Jam also showed that "unplugged" didn't mean low-key, boring, acoustical, buy-your-grandma-this-one, performance. Instead, Pearl Jam demonstrated their versatility without trading it for their soul.
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think Jeff's hat serves as the tiebreaker. Pearl Jam had the best one.

Seriously, except for Stone's guitar in the beginning of Alive, this is one of my favorites and contains my favorite versions of some of their songs. I mean, Jeremy is just explosive!

Nirvana's was good, but the stage set was over the top and unnecessary. Pearl Jam also showed that "unplugged" didn't mean low-key, boring, acoustical, buy-your-grandma-this-one, performance. Instead, Pearl Jam demonstrated their versatility without trading it for their soul.

I don't think PJ had a lack of versatility, but the Unplugged made it seem like they did.