WTF with Marc Maron

BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone listen to this podcast? If not you should...do it.

He is great. The interviews are funny and insightful - sometimes even life affirming. He makes the listener feel like they are not alone in this journey.

As someone who battles depression, I get where a lot of the subjects are coming from. The episode from the summer with the writer from the Onion helped me deal with a very difficult time in my life.

The Live episodes are a hoot.

Anyone? Are we good?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    We're good.

I'm going through the back catalog of episodes, downloading them, and burning them to CD so I can listen while I am at work (it makes the day fly by). Once I'm done listening, I pass them along to my cousin, who listens to them on her way to work (and then she passes them along to someone else).

I don't think I've gotten to the guy from the Onion, yet. Do you remember his name?
    ELITIST FUK
  • I was listening when he first started, then there was so much time in between podcasts at first. I think I lost him when I got a new computer and some stuff didn't transfer or something.

But I remember the episode with Jeanine Garafalo - and 'insightful' is a great word to describe it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

06/26/2011 - EV - Detroit, MI
    09/03 and 09/04/2011 PJ20 - Alpine Valley
    06/20 and 06/21/2012 - PJ - Manchester, UK
    11/13 and 11/16/2012 - EV - Houston, TX and Dallas, TX
    07/29/2013 - PJ - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL

11/15/2013 - PJ - Dallas, TX
    11/16/2013 - PJ - Oklahoma City, OK
    10/03/2014 - PJ - St. Louis, MO
    10/08/2014 - PJ - Tulsa, OK
    10/12/2014 - PJ - ACL Festival, Austin, TX
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    Todd Hanson - episode 190.

It's a long episode - split into two parts for obvious reason. After the first hour, they reconvene for a second talk. At one point, Hanson is explaining himself/his note and begins with "Well, Maron..." - it grabbed me. I was on the treadmill and literally had tears well up in my eyes because I knew how he felt. I knew that I wasn't alone in this all encompassing trip. Powerful.

"It's not always about the funny. Sometimes it's about the sad."
    Thanks. I burned the episode to disc, so it is ready for listening on Monday. :)
    ELITIST FUK
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    This week's Live episode was hilarious. I love the different range of guests that make an appearance.
  • Haven't listened to this one yet. I listen to the Adam Carolla podcast regularly and Maron has been on as a guest a few times and he is pretty good. I'll have to check out his pod sometime
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Anyone listen to the Bob Zmuda episode? Pretty god damn awesome.

And Tony Clifton is going to be on this week?! Can't wait.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    marc macon? the former temple owls guard?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772

ignore that, got the names mixed up :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

ignore that, got the names mixed up :lol:

:lol:

Looking forward to his interview with Craig Finn this week. :geek:
    ELITIST FUK
    Marc Maron's new show starts Friday. Pretty pumped
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    He was on local radio this morning, funny guy :)
    He was on local radio this morning, funny guy :)

He did Fresh Air yesterday as well. Good interview.
    Maron interviewed Obama on Friday in his garage. Pretty damn cool. Looking forward to listening to it.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,760

Maron interviewed Obama on Friday in his garage. Pretty damn cool. Looking forward to listening to it.

Yep. Curious to know if it was his usual style of interview or just an avenue for the Pres to reach that audience.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Yep. Curious to know if it was his usual style of interview or just an avenue for the Pres to reach that audience.
    From what I read it sounds like a little bit of both
    He was losing his shit when I finally listened to thursdays episode.

Really curious as to how he manages his language if at all.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

He was losing his shit when I finally listened to thursdays episode.

Really curious as to how he manages his language if at all.

I didn't listen this week. Lose his shit how?

Yeah I was wondering about the language. Can't really swear in front of the president but how can he not
    Being his amped up anxiety ridden self. Today or tomorrow listen to the opening. Judd was a good talk too but he freaked out in the opening.

Frankly I am shocked he announced during the thursday episode when it was confirmed etc but not done yet. Anything could have happened to delay or cancel the talk.

mickeyrat said:

Being his amped up anxiety ridden self. Today or tomorrow listen to the opening. Judd was a good talk too but he freaked out in the opening.

Frankly I am shocked he announced during the thursday episode when it was confirmed etc but not done yet. Anything could have happened to delay or cancel the talk.

That's what I figured. Ahh yeah forgot it was Judd. Going to have to listen to that tomorrow.

Yeah, he didn't an interview with the ny times and said he didn't know if it was going to happen after charleston.

thanks for that.

Sounds like he toned down the language. I mean you can't swear in front of the president
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420

Sounds like he toned down the language. I mean you can't swear in front of the president

yet the president said the n-word in the interview..our President used the full on word in an interview. i've seen it all now.
    edited June 2015
    pjhawks said:

yet the president said the n-word in the interview..our President used the full on word in an interview. i've seen it all now.
    Listening to it now.

Edit: Just heard that part. Eh, part of a larger point.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420

pjhawks said:

Listening to it now.

oh i get it was a part of a larger point the President was making but still shocking to hear the leader of the free world say the full on N-word.
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Listening to it now.

oh i get it was a part of a larger point the President was making but still shocking to hear the leader of the free world say the full on N-word.
    True, true. Pretty solid conversation. Pretty good mix of personal and policy.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822

pjhawks said:

Listening to it now.

Yep. But the story today will be nothing but Obama saying the n-word. Typical.

pjhawks said:

Listening to it now.

Yep. But the story today will be nothing but Obama saying the n-word. Typical.
    Has been pointed by Vox that that has been the focus.

Well done I thought.

He has more crap than I do. And the President travels with his own cocktail napkins?
    ELITIST FUK