Options

*** Beacon Theatre Fanviews Here 7/01/2008 ***

13»

Comments

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    vitodacat wrote:
    there def. were some doing nothing but checking their blackberries the entire time. But, going into this particular show, you had to know this would be.

youre absolutely right, but the amount of people who just didnt care i was really suprised if i looked across my row for as far as i can see in both directions, it was me and my buddy rocking and the rest zombies aside from a head bopper here and there

anyway still a great time, i just wish i was the robin hood of pj, buy all the 2500 seats and given them to the people upstairs.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    nycrats wrote:
    2. I really appreciate the 10club fans and how they help make the show. They are a vital ingredient to making it an amazing experience for the whole arena. People that have been fans for years, now almost decades have the best seats and it funnnels outward from the front row all the way to the very top seats at a normal PJ show. Its contagious. Its balls to the walls from the front row and everyone behind catches it. Then the band catches it and they give it right back and they make a memorable experience that everyone can cherish. I know this is idea is nothing new, but I had never, in 11 previous shows, been to a show that wasn't dominated by the 10club contagion. Last night it wasn't. And I feel it suffered from that point. I know the boys in the band were tired from touring, but I really felt the band halfway through the show had a downshift in energy when they realized the crowd wasn't giving it 100%. Maybe that was just my experience but I think others will agree.

I agree with this COMPLETELY and actually felt the same way at the show.

I do think however that the guys were visible tired......dont get me wrong they were unbelievable, but tired.

Being one of the "balls to the walls" people I was definately looking around in amazment.

Well.....I guess I kind of expected it and that's ok because ALOT of money was raised as a result of the people who attended. That was really the point afterall.....right?

I do have 1 more comment to add....and I am NOT comparing the two for the show quality...... but the energy that you refer to was APPARENT and OVERWHELMING at the Vic and that's what happens when you get a few thousand of "us" in a room :)

peace
    How I choose to feel......is how I am.
  • Options
    pjallipjalli Posts: 129
    i was in the orchestra, and was pretty much the only person in my entire row rocking out the whole time. that said, it was pretty cool seeing the look on most of the faces down there every time the lights came up and they saw everyone flipping out in the loge and balcony. they were looking up in total awe and amazement...

also, one of my friends was on the fundraising committee for the event and i got to speak with a few of the organizers. they were *raving* about how great pearl jam was, not just their performance (which obvs was incredible), but how nice/friendly/caring/easy to deal with, etc. they were. it's always nice to be reminded of how great your favorite band really is. most bands just don't play that long with that much passion and energy at these kinds of shows...we are completely spoiled!
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    u cats are crazy

they were tired and still rocked
  • Options
    lateralus963lateralus963 Posts: 381
    NYCPJ wrote:
    It was a great show. Ive heard some (who were not there) say the set list was disappointing or it was just an average '08 tour set list - Well, It raised a lot of money for a worthy cause and it was a chance to see one of the best live bands ever in an amazing venue, so I thought it was money well spent. Ive only seen Pearl Jam 4 times, but it seems to me that you dont often get to see an acoustic set or see them perform in such an intimate setting. After seeing the backup singers three times, IMO, it enhances the songs and wasnt overwhelming at all. Low Light, Light Years, Sleight of Hand, Masters of War, Harvest Moon and Undone were highlights for me. And it was great to hear Black again. Great show that will stay with me for a long time.

Here are some photos I took:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlbnyc/sets/72157605933807016/

Awesome shots!
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    nycrats wrote:
    Hi , first time poster here.
    I have been a message pit "user" for years, but never had much to say so never signed up, but after the beacon I had to register and post. This was a great, special show. The venue and the love for the cause the band displayed was amazing and unprecedented. Great things can be said about the setlist and the entusiasm the band came out with. This was my 12th pj show and I will agree those of us in the northeast have been very spoiled and have almost unfair expectations of the band, which they always reach anyway. Actually I'm digressing, my point here about this crowd at the Beacon. I was very very disappointed. Let me explain in a little more detail. I am fortunate enough financailly that my hobby can be to see my favorite band many times, whether it means flying to chicago, going to atlantic city, up to boston, and back to camden. So as a new yorker when I heard I can see PJ at the legendary beacon up close for 2500$ i said "ok its a once in a lifetime deal, go for it". I knew there was a charity/ wall street element but the way I figured it would be absolute die hards who would shell out this dough for that kind of a show. This will be the first time and probabaly the last time PJ will play here, and I don't even have to travel I thought. And I didn't just assume that because the tickets were ridiculously expensive that it would exclude die hards. Just because someone was very wealthy doesnt mean they can't be a real PJ fan. Anyway that was my train of thought and let me just say about the crowd, from my personal experience in the orchestra first 15 rows: there were about 20% of us die hards, 40 % casual music fans, 25% not really into it until they heard even flow and alive, and 15% (for lack of a better term) absolute stiff-hedge fund-were only there for a free charity event that they thought would be a hoot-as they stood there dead still-on their blackberry douchebags.
    As I sat in this crowd I thought a couple of things, I wish I was upstairs with the die hards rocking out, I couldn't see them but I assumed they were, and 2. I really appreciate the 10club fans and how they help make the show. They are a vital ingredient to making it an amazing experience for the whole arena. People that have been fans for years, now almost decades have the best seats and it funnnels outward from the front row all the way to the very top seats at a normal PJ show. Its contagious. Its balls to the walls from the front row and everyone behind catches it. Then the band catches it and they give it right back and they make a memorable experience that everyone can cherish. I know this is idea is nothing new, but I had never, in 11 previous shows, been to a show that wasn't dominated by the 10club contagion. Last night it wasn't. And I feel it suffered from that point. I know the boys in the band were tired from touring, but I really felt the band halfway through the show had a downshift in energy when they realized the crowd wasn't giving it 100%. Maybe that was just my experience but I think others will agree. And the point of this post isnt to complain about last night or ask for sympathy since I spent so much money on a ticket. The point for me is more that this could have been a legendary experience, one for the ages, I mean it was the ultimate billing: Pearl Jam, New York City, Beacon Theatre. But the majority of the crowd wasn't giving the energy that last night deserved. some people weren't even fans. I had a great time, and it was a special, unique pearl jam show. but we're so lucky that collectively we are all such great fans that we make all the other shows like no other rock show on the planet. So for that I feel really lucky to be a part of it . I just expected more from the people in attendene last night.

the title of this post is in reference to every other show apart from this beacon one to be clear. its kind of confusing, sorry im new at this.
    If ya ask me, the 10c new this from the beginning.... They hardly mentioned the show on this site all this time, and realized your average PJ fan was not going to dish out that $$. But they raised 3million and that's fucking unreal!! If a blackberry poking douche wants to put a few grand towards that cause, than I'm all for it. You just know the boys were expecting what they got. I'm happy for those of you that got to go, and think the setlist was sick...

oh, and part of your message made me feel like I was a peasant or something...
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    Super_FanSuper_Fan Posts: 249
    I got pictures. Second row rocking out. I was the only dude in the first few rows kicking ass. There was one dude who was friends with Mike in front of me. Looked like a young arabian multi-millionaire. Clearly didn't have a seat in the front row and had a laminate. Pictures are below. More to come.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/MetallicaTourCamper/Pearl%20Jam%20Beacon%20Theatre/
    Tour '08
    Destroying DC Scum.
  • Options
    abulrabulr Posts: 80
    nycrats wrote:
    Hi , first time poster here.
    I have been a message pit "user" for years, but never had much to say so never signed up, but after the beacon I had to register and post. This was a great, special show. The venue and the love for the cause the band displayed was amazing and unprecedented. Great things can be said about the setlist and the entusiasm the band came out with. This was my 12th pj show and I will agree those of us in the northeast have been very spoiled and have almost unfair expectations of the band, which they always reach anyway. Actually I'm digressing, my point here about this crowd at the Beacon. I was very very disappointed. Let me explain in a little more detail. I am fortunate enough financailly that my hobby can be to see my favorite band many times, whether it means flying to chicago, going to atlantic city, up to boston, and back to camden. So as a new yorker when I heard I can see PJ at the legendary beacon up close for 2500$ i said "ok its a once in a lifetime deal, go for it". I knew there was a charity/ wall street element but the way I figured it would be absolute die hards who would shell out this dough for that kind of a show. This will be the first time and probabaly the last time PJ will play here, and I don't even have to travel I thought. And I didn't just assume that because the tickets were ridiculously expensive that it would exclude die hards. Just because someone was very wealthy doesnt mean they can't be a real PJ fan. Anyway that was my train of thought and let me just say about the crowd, from my personal experience in the orchestra first 15 rows: there were about 20% of us die hards, 40 % casual music fans, 25% not really into it until they heard even flow and alive, and 15% (for lack of a better term) absolute stiff-hedge fund-were only there for a free charity event that they thought would be a hoot-as they stood there dead still-on their blackberry douchebags.
    As I sat in this crowd I thought a couple of things, I wish I was upstairs with the die hards rocking out, I couldn't see them but I assumed they were, and 2. I really appreciate the 10club fans and how they help make the show. They are a vital ingredient to making it an amazing experience for the whole arena. People that have been fans for years, now almost decades have the best seats and it funnnels outward from the front row all the way to the very top seats at a normal PJ show. Its contagious. Its balls to the walls from the front row and everyone behind catches it. Then the band catches it and they give it right back and they make a memorable experience that everyone can cherish. I know this is idea is nothing new, but I had never, in 11 previous shows, been to a show that wasn't dominated by the 10club contagion. Last night it wasn't. And I feel it suffered from that point. I know the boys in the band were tired from touring, but I really felt the band halfway through the show had a downshift in energy when they realized the crowd wasn't giving it 100%. Maybe that was just my experience but I think others will agree. And the point of this post isnt to complain about last night or ask for sympathy since I spent so much money on a ticket. The point for me is more that this could have been a legendary experience, one for the ages, I mean it was the ultimate billing: Pearl Jam, New York City, Beacon Theatre. But the majority of the crowd wasn't giving the energy that last night deserved. some people weren't even fans. I had a great time, and it was a special, unique pearl jam show. but we're so lucky that collectively we are all such great fans that we make all the other shows like no other rock show on the planet. So for that I feel really lucky to be a part of it . I just expected more from the people in attendene last night.

the title of this post is in reference to every other show apart from this beacon one to be clear. its kind of confusing, sorry im new at this.

couldn't agree more! the crowd sucked - maybe that's why it was short - yeah they sang along to Black - BFD - everyone knows the words

try MSG when everyone was singing along to Hard to Imagine

this is why i love tenclubbers having the good seats at most shows

seemed to me like there were a lot of d*uchebags who were there just for betterman and sh-t

and yes Harvest Moon, Masters of War, and Black *were* amazing (though i've seen Mike do much better solos during Black in the past)

but i guess if it wasn't for the d*uches and their respective companies donating - the $3MM wouldn't have been raised -

again - great idea, great sound, great set, but short
    9/95 N.O. ; 9/96 Randall's 1&2 ; 9/98 Continental ; 9/98 - MSG 1 & 2 ; 5/00 - Wembley ; 8/00 - Jones Beach 1,2&3 ; 7/03 - MSG 1&2 ; 5/06 - Irving Plaza ; 6/06 - Continental 1&2 ; 6/08 - MSG 1&2 ; 6/08 - Beacon ; 10/09 - Spectrum 2&3 ; 05/10 - Prudential ; 05/10 - MSG 1&2; 10/13 - Barclays 1&2 ; 10/14 Memphis ; 9/15 Central Park; 4/16 Philly 2; 5/16 MSG 1&2; 5/16 QC; 8/16 Boston; 8/16 Chicago 1&2; 8/18 Seattle 1&2; 8/18 Boston
  • Options
    abulrabulr Posts: 80
    simpleman wrote:
    If ya ask me, the 10c new this from the beginning.... They hardly mentioned the show on this site all this time, and realized your average PJ fan was not going to dish out that $$. But they raised 3million and that's fucking unreal!! If a blackberry poking douche wants to put a few grand towards that cause, than I'm all for it. You just know the boys were expecting what they got. I'm happy for those of you that got to go, and think the setlist was sick...

oh, and part of your message made me feel like I was a peasant or something...

what's wrong w/ being a "peasant" - the peasants are the loved ones by eddie and the band! :)
    9/95 N.O. ; 9/96 Randall's 1&2 ; 9/98 Continental ; 9/98 - MSG 1 & 2 ; 5/00 - Wembley ; 8/00 - Jones Beach 1,2&3 ; 7/03 - MSG 1&2 ; 5/06 - Irving Plaza ; 6/06 - Continental 1&2 ; 6/08 - MSG 1&2 ; 6/08 - Beacon ; 10/09 - Spectrum 2&3 ; 05/10 - Prudential ; 05/10 - MSG 1&2; 10/13 - Barclays 1&2 ; 10/14 Memphis ; 9/15 Central Park; 4/16 Philly 2; 5/16 MSG 1&2; 5/16 QC; 8/16 Boston; 8/16 Chicago 1&2; 8/18 Seattle 1&2; 8/18 Boston
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    beautiful, beautiful show! i am sooooooo thankful to have been a aprt of such a special evening and i am so, so, sooooo thankful to pearl jam for being so ridiculously generous to NYC. you guys rock! :cool:

and light years....?!
    grazie, grazie!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    BeerBaron wrote:
    The Beacon show was amazing. From where I was sitting (upper balcony) it looked more like an 80/20 split of hard core fans versus the casual people. The guy beside me seemed bored during songs like Sleight of Hand, Undone, Army Reserve, etc. but for the most part the upper balcony was ROCKING!

The venue was spectacular, the set list was great, the acoustic set was great to see. Everything about the night was amazing.

Probably cracked my top 3 shows, but will have to let it sink in a little more before making that bold statement official.

Well worth the $250.

glad u had a blast,,well worth it
  • Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    I assume its unlikely we get any kind of official release on this one (but you never know). I wonder why the set list isnt listed on the PJ site and linked to the song index?
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    Super_Fan wrote:
    I got pictures. Second row rocking out. I was the only dude in the first few rows kicking ass. There was one dude who was friends with Mike in front of me. Looked like a young arabian multi-millionaire. Clearly didn't have a seat in the front row and had a laminate. Pictures are below. More to come.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/MetallicaTourCamper/Pearl%20Jam%20Beacon%20Theatre/

wow - you were close! unlike larger venues, seems like the front couple of rows are practically on the stage! thanks for sharing
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    Took my son to Mansfield, then Beacon, now home in Seattle tired as a dog.

We had Orchestra seats, 13th row Jeff and Mike's side. The first six songs or so I felt I was at a cocktail party, and I know the band could hear the antipathy from the crowd. The two guys in front of me talked the entire night; at one point I almost leaned over to tell them to "get a room", but then took a deep breath and remembered this was a fundraiser.

Fortunately I was able to move to the right a few seats. The woman next to me and I had fun picking out the fans from the not-so-much. Two rows ahead of us they were jumping up and down, one of the girls was so into the show I was distracted watching her; right above us was a guy with a "PJ" tattoo on his arm. Then there was the couple right in front of us who did not move a muscle the entire show, clearly Rick Astley fans.

I have to say none of this took away from my enjoyment of the evening. The band sounded great and the whole vibe was friendly and exciting.

Unbelievably I lucked into a set-list about half way through the show. Only two discrepancies, they played Corduroy instead of Severed Hand, and Indifference was inexplicably written in as a third encore. We had fun trying to figure out what "3MJ" meant: a Michael Jackson medley? The actual recorded song was fun and very moving.

I think I'll live if I never hear Evenflow again, but Mike's solo somehow really grabbed me. I've been slow to warm up to No More but it was possibly the most emotional point of the evening for me this time. I was belting out "NO MORE" as loud as I could and thinking about what a stupid fucking waste. Maybe it was the tour of the UN my son and I took earlier in the day.

Heard the term "blue pens" for the first time. Apparently the band refers to "fans" who try to get autographs to sell as "blue penners", referring to a time when blue ink autographs were more valuable because they couldn't be faked as easily. Maybe still somewhat true. I don't think the band likes these folks so much, although in general they don't seem to mind autographs and pictures with real fans.

Some speculation about what they'll be playing for the VH1 Who thing in July. Is that why they played Baba o'? Will they do Reign Over Me? Those are the obvious choices.

Anyway, kudos to Robin Hood for a great show, a great venue (Eddie mentioned that they'll be closing the Beacon soon for a remodel, don't know if that's been mentioned up thread), and a great time had by my son and me.
  • Options
    HogsrulHogsrul Posts: 36
    It looks very similar to when I saw them at the Fox Theater in St. Louis. That place was amazing in all aspects. The band rocked the house!
    Memphis '00/ OKC '03/ Dallas '03/ Little Rock '03/ VFC St. Louis '04/ Gorge '06 (2 nights)

Obama or McCain = No Bush YAY!
  • Options
    Not sure if this was mentioned, didn't have time to read 6 pages....

Did anyone notice when eddie was telling the story of the envelope he received at a prior show with the note in it before he had the house play that song....
    he said he received it at the show they played in west virginia??
    Hahha. IF i heard correctly....I'm guessing maybe he thought Virginia Beach was WV? Or Bonaroo??
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,860
    hsh wrote:
    Show was great. The Balcony was clearly a difft crowd than the orchestra. Balcony was pretty lively and rocking out all night. It was cool to see. During Baba . .I thought the whole thing would collapse. It bounced up and down for a solid 5 minutes. It was scary, but very cool. The 2 people that I saw sitting were bouncing up and down in their seats due to the jumping/dancing of the rest of us and they lookled terrified. It was hilarious.

The balcony was seriously rocking, i felt it bouncing a lot!
    For me it was a great way to end the tour, great set, small intimate venue.
    For me, the memory i will take away most from this show will be baba. I have seen it before, i will see it again, but to end the tour, dancing and rocking out, arm in arm with touring friends, old and new, it cannot get any better.
    I will put a link up soon to my photos. got some great shots as well!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,574
    Hey guys,

I have the set list from this gig - my friend got up on the stage after the gig and snagged !

I was not at this gig so Im sure someone who attended could appreciate it far more than me (Even though its still pretty cool to have!)

Will trade for posters (especially Hartford 08) - or other set lists if ya got em!

PM me if interested!!

Have pics...

Cheers guys!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}