The Blue Screen of Death

2»

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Stupid question, but how do you go about backing your files up. Cause I'd have the exact same conversation. Like do yOu back them up on another pc or an external hard drive or sumpin?

If you buy an external hard drive you connect it to your current PC through the USB connection or you can burn files to a disk if you have a burner.

I can't think of the software right now but there is a nice program for transferring files to the external hard drive. Makes it really easy.

Free one from Microsoft called SyncToy. I have it set up to make the external HD a mirror copy of the folders I want from the PC HD, so anything that is changed on the PC (new files, changed files, deleted files, etc.) will be mirrored onto the external HD. Works great.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=15155
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Exact thing happened to me,photo's thousands of hours of music ... I was gutted,all those memories,especially the photo's that could never be replaced.

Ironically,and stupidly I have still not worked out how to "back up" on my new computer :oops:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I despise the blue screen of death. We got it quite frequently on our old computer, to the point where we broke down and bought a new one. I never want to see it again.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Okay, I have a question. I received the blue screen today and it's not the first time I've gotten it on this relatively new POS Dell laptop, so I'm getting more serious about being better at backing up my files. What method do y'all recommend? Is online better than an external hard drive? The problems with using an external drive, which is my current method, are that I have to actually take the initiative to use it (which I do less frequently than I should) and that I'd lose it too in the event of a fire or something. But I know nothing about the world of online back-up. Is it secure? Is it expensive? Does it take forever? You can get online back-up that backs up your computer automatically, right? Is there a particular service that's better than the others? Thanks! :)
  • It amazes me that there are people who don't know the basics of computing
    brother123 wrote:
    It amazes me that there are people who don't know the basics of computing

Thanks. That's super-helpful.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    brother123 wrote:

It amazes me that there are people who don't know the basics of not being a dickhead.
  • Rollings wrote:
    brother123 wrote:

It amazes me that there are people who don't know the basics of not being a dickhead.

It amazes me that there are people that know the basics of being amazed.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Rollings wrote:
    brother123 wrote:

It amazes me that there are people that know the basics of being amazed.

I suppose that being amazed is amazing. Then I agree!
  • _ wrote:
    brother123 wrote:

Look if you can't find the initiative to use a external hard drive than I don't know what you will or won't do.

http://www.dropbox.com/ check that out.

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/artic ... rage-Sites that can give you some insight

Really just do research via google. i hope that this dickhead has give some useful information
    brother123 wrote:

Look if you can't find the initiative to use a external hard drive than I don't know what you will or won't do.

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/artic ... rage-Sites that can give you some insight

Really just do research via google. i hope that this dickhead has give some useful information

:) that was very nice, thank you, sincerely
    brother123 wrote:
    _ wrote:
    brother123 wrote:

Thanks for the info. FYI, I am doing research via Google. I'm just also asking people their opinions. You know, trying to be thorough and all. And I actually do know the basics of computing and I do use Dropbox and MobileMe, etc.; I just don't have experience with serious, all-your-data, online back-up services. And I recognize that some people here have even more knowledge of computing than I do.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,718
    Jennytree wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    They told me there is little chance of getting my data retrieval for under $500 and may cost as much as $1500.

:shock: WHAT?! Fuckin' hell, I'm in the wrong job! There are free tools you can use to try and get data off of a FUBAR'd drive. Do you know anyone who works in IT support who would do it for free? If you were my friend, I would :D
    Turns out one of my nephews is going to help me out. I think there's a good chance he can retrieve my info! :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brother123 wrote:
    Ok, Mr. Nice Guy. Thanks so much. Just so you'll know, some of us are old enough to not have grown up with computers and I Pads and even cell phones and today it is assumed you just know all the basics to all that stuff. Most computer dealers don't tell you squat. Most new computers do not come with a users manuals. None I've used have. Oh, I know there imbedded in the thing somewhere, but nobody tells you where. Computer usage tips are like a virtual "Where's Waldo".

So basically, dude, give an old fuck a little break. It's been a big enough learning curve. And it might be worth remembering that while most people today- especially anyone under 30, can a operate almost any electronic gadget by osmosis, many other non-electronic basic skills are being lost. How many people today can grow a successful garden? Iron your clothes? Change the points rotor and condenser in a car? Bake a cake? Write in cursive? Hand sew a garment? Carve an object out of wood? Use Morse code? Cut your own hair? Use a compass and read a topographical map? Operate a turn table? Oh wait, this is PJ forum, most of us know how to run a turn table! :lol:

I'm saddened to see that many of these skills are not so common anymore but rather than lambaste anyone for not knowing them, I would encourage and teach. It's much nicer that way and it makes the learning much more fun.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    Gob wrote:
    Do this.. buy an enclosure kit. Take your hard drive out and hook it up to the kit. Plug it into another PC and see if you can transfer over any of the data. You might be able to grab some of it if the hard drive doesn't always fail. The OS might just be corrupt too.
    this

you can retrieve the data from the drive-although some of the data may be corrupted
  • brianlux wrote:
    brother123 wrote:
    Ok, Mr. Nice Guy. Thanks so much. Just so you'll know, some of us are old enough to not have grown up with computers and I Pads and even cell phones and today it is assumed you just know all the basics to all that stuff. Most computer dealers don't tell you squat. Most new computers do not come with a users manuals. None I've used have. Oh, I know there imbedded in the thing somewhere, but nobody tells you where. Computer usage tips are like a virtual "Where's Waldo".

So basically, dude, give an old fuck a little break. It's been a big enough learning curve. And it might be worth remembering that while most people today- especially anyone under 30, can a operate almost any electronic gadget by osmosis, many other non-electronic basic skills are being lost. How many people today can grow a successful garden? Iron your clothes? Change the points rotor and condenser in a car? Bake a cake? Write in cursive? Hand sew a garment? Carve an object out of wood? Use Morse code? Cut your own hair? Use a compass and read a topographical map? Operate a turn table? Oh wait, this is PJ forum, most of us know how to run a turn table! :lol:

I'm saddened to see that many of these skills are not so common anymore but rather than lambaste anyone for not knowing them, I would encourage and teach. It's much nicer that way and it makes the learning much more fun.
    As another old timer, I just have to say THANK YOU! :clap::clap::clap:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    brianlux wrote:
    brother123 wrote:

As another old timer, I just have to say THANK YOU! :clap::clap::clap:

:D :thumbup:

'course you know we have to be careful- they might start calling us dinosaurs! :lol:

• vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    My Husband is in the Data Recovery business- if the drive is not grinding, there is hope to get your data. It can be very expensive- the price depends on the size of the drive. There are programs out there that can retrieve your data, but you have to make sure that they don't write anything to the drive while repairing/copying. That just makes it harder in the future- if you are unsuccessful in retrieving it yourself.

I think there is a company out in California that does reco's for $499 or so, no matter what size the drive. Not too sure about their success rate- but you can try.
  • Oh, lessons learned the hard way. This has happened to me and it is oh so sad. Now I back the stuff up that I want to keep on multiple computers, external hard drives, dvd's, disks or whatever it takes to have it stored in multiple places so that one goes corrupt I will still have another.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    vduboise wrote:
    My Husband is in the Data Recovery business- if the drive is not grinding, there is hope to get your data. It can be very expensive- the price depends on the size of the drive. There are programs out there that can retrieve your data, but you have to make sure that they don't write anything to the drive while repairing/copying. That just makes it harder in the future- if you are unsuccessful in retrieving it yourself.

I think there is a company out in California that does reco's for $499 or so, no matter what size the drive. Not too sure about their success rate- but you can try.

You buy an enclosure for about $60, insert hard drive and voila!

And you don't need to replace the computer, just replace the hard drive. My wife's hard drive just failed, new hard drive was about $120, and the enclosure was $60. Problem solved for under $200.