Who Drinks Absinthe?

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,365
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Who drinks this stuff and whats the best out there? Looking for a new drunk!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    I thought there was something taboo about that stuff :?

one of the few alcohols I have never tried.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Had it once in Dusseldorf. Once.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    edited November 2011
    Had it once in Dusseldorf. Once.

did it make you see things? I was going to say hallucinate, but I can't spell that
  • Had it once. Never again.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I had it when I was in LA over the summer and I must say I don't see what all the hype is about it. I think the one that's been legalized in the states is different from the 'hallucinogenic' ones overseas. It was pretty pricey too. I'm interested to see what other people have experienced with it!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Maybe its because the name reminds me of the word "labrynth".

Maybe it's because the end of the name sounds like a snake speaking.

...but Imma scared to try it. :?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:

did it make you see things? I was going to say hallucinate, but I can't spell that
    52chanukah_deer.jpg
    Jewish Unicorn
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    sounds interesting.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Maybe its because the name reminds me of the word "labrynth".

Maybe it's because the end of the name sounds like a snake speaking.

...but Imma scared to try it. :?
    :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Terrible stuff. Terrible terrible stuff. Not sure if it was just the one that I had, but I am pretty sure it was a bottle of gasoline.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    a friend sent me some chocolate with absinthe in it. tasted kind of like licorice. not strong enough to affect me though
  • Had it once in Dusseldorf. Once.
    Did you drink it with the ice water poured over the sugar cube, with the absinthe spoon and the whole ritual....It all sounds very sexy, taboo to me and I really would like to try this out, but I want a good, reputable spirit....
  • I've had it before. You can see things, I sure did. It isn't an intense hallucination like taking mushrooms. I loved the taste of it because I love black licorice. Yes there is a process to it... You get a sugar cube and drop it into the alcohol, let it get soaked up. Scoop it out with a metal spoon, then light the sugar cube... Let it burn for a little while if you can. Then slowly pour water into the spoon and let the water fall into your cup. Once that is done stir the drink well and enjoy.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'd go with this one

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Pacifique ... 18779.html

why...

because it's the only item on binny's website that shows up when you search for faithful ale. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

52chanukah_deer.jpg
    Jewish Unicorn

You saw jewish reindeer? ...I guess they weren't working on Christmas?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Omfg. I will join the list of 'never again' opinions.

I dont recall the brand but a buddy brought me bottles from Europe 2 years in a row. Cracked them open one night when a slew of friends from college were in town, the night before our Homecoming Game. We had been out at bars for much of the night and went back to my place where I broke them out and poured 2 shots for everyone.
    Someone said we were meant to pour the Absinthe over sugar cubes...but hey, we were a bunch of drunken idiots trying to relive our youth.
    I remember almost puking when the second one went down - tasted like total ass.
    Next thing I remember was the next AM and waking everyone up from the couches / rooms and rallying to head over to campus for Homecoming festivities. It literally took me 1 adderall and until drink #5 to even start to feel like a human again. Everyone felt the same -- horrid.

la fée verte.
    Stay Away!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    The US has approved versions of it that do nothing. I heard the stuff in Europe makes you trip, not that I would want to. I wouldn't want to be a trippy person and turn out like Steve Jobs or something :D
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    In college I ordered a bottle illegally from the Chec Republic. I had read an article in some magazine and the author compared the different "authentic" varieties out there. I ordered the one that he said was the strongest, but not necessarily the best tasting.
    With shipping, it cost about $70.
    Totally tastes like ass (even if you do it the right way), but it messes you up...FAST! While I didn't "hallucinate", it certainly altered the visual field in a way. Colors were more vibrant, and things seemed much clearer.

A buddy and I got smashed off of 3 drinks!!

Bottom line...
    If you can get the real stuff, give it a shot. It tastes like complete crap and its expensive, but it'll get you plastered! :lol:
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    All you ever wanted to know about absinthe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

I like it - I like aniseed... I think all these things about hallucinations, etc. are really urban legends. No more 'effects' than any other strong spirit when you drink it excessively. Absinthe is strong, very strong and some people dilute it more or less than others, therefore each will get intoxicated at different levels.

I don't drink it that much anymore but when I did (and this was for years), I never had any 'experiences' other than those related to all alcohol consumption.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Had it years ago, the aniseed taste sticks out in my mind. Other than that don't remember much - it was a long time ago.
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    I went to an Absinthe bar in Evora, Portugal back in 2001. It was the type of bar where you would order the drink and then a waitress would come over and do the ritual with the sugar cube, fire, and ice water. It was really interesting to watch. I don't remember if the taste was bad or not but it was the real deal cause I had only three drinks over an hour and a half and I was seeing little gnomes running around for the rest of the night. It was actually a very enjoyable, if not surreal, experience. I'd try it again but only in a place like that bar.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Nope never had it and it doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me.

I never liked the idea of "tripping"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,187
    Nope never had it and it doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me.

I never liked the idea of "tripping"

Drunken tripping and LSD tripping are completly opposites's :mrgreen:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i had the american version at a bar by the beach down here. my buddy and i killed the bottle over a weekend. we will forever be remembered at that bar as the only 2 idiots drinking it.
    i dont think it was authentic. but we were blind drunk
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    Who drinks this stuff and whats the best out there? Looking for a new drunk!

I had it once. I blacked out and don't remember really anything. I never did it again. I wouldn't recommend it.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    my old neighbor back in westport drank this stuff overseas when in greece or italy or wherever. he said it was like drinking the best weed around or something to that effect. he said a few shots and even i would be smoked. well played whoever invented this stuff. what is in it exactly and why is the real stuff banned from sales in u.s.?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    anyone heard about marilyn manson's absinthe?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    http://youtu.be/kRr0Njy4GAY
    this is some drink.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    anyone heard about marilyn manson's absinthe?

Yeah I've heard it's shitty.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Someone gave us a bottle (as a joke) and we looked up drink recipes to make with it. This is really good (kind of gross name though).

I got this recipe from the web, the version we made was from a wonderful cocktail book called The Essential Cocktail by Dale Degroff.

Monkey Gland

Of all the drinks in the world, the Monkey Gland is one of my absolute favorites, if you get it just right that is. Most recipes tend to suggest a splash of absinthe or one of its many substitutes, but I prefer the subtlety of coating a chilled cocktail glass with absinthe and dumping any excess. This creates a nice, fruity cocktail with the slightest taste of anise and the aroma itself is intoxicating and delightful. During the time that absinthe was illegal in the U.S. many bartenders learned to make this drink with Benedictine, also a worthy libation. This drink has a sordid history behind its name.
    Ingredients:

2 oz gin
    1 oz orange juice
    1/4 oz grenadine
    1 dash absinthe
    orange slice for garnish
    Preparation:

Swirl a dash of absinthe in a chilled cocktail glass to coat it, then dump any excess liqueur
    Pour the other ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
    Shake well.
    Strain into the cocktail glass.
    Garnish with the orange slice or a burnt orange peel.