Options

**Edmonton Fanviews Here**

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
edited January 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Were you there?

Set list added later...had to confirm something. :)

Release, Go, Save You, Spin The Black Circle, Nothing As it Seems, Daughter/(Dream Baby Dream" by SUICIDE), Even Flow, Betterman, I Am Mine, Grievance, Small Town, Sad, Corduroy, Given To Fly, Wishlist/(Hard Times Are Over by John Lennon), Animal, Do The Evolution,

1st encore: Love Boat Captain, Crazy Mary, Jeremy, Porch
2nd encore: Fucking Up, Yellow Ledbetter
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Killer Show. After Release, they played some heavy and faster songs like Black Circle, and Go. Crazy Mary during the 1st encore was the best thing ever. Boom and Mike traded off solo's for 2-3 minutes. Stone had the Plaid pants on.

Met some nice 10 Clubbers who've hit all the shows since the Gorge. Makes me wish i had more money.

Here's a link to the poster:
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/thomaslbeckett/PJ.jpg
    Edmonton 05/09/2005
    Melbourne 11/20/2009
    Edmonton 09/23/2011
  • Options
    Thanks for the link obi! Interesting poster to say the least :D
  • Options
    I worte a review already but it did not work, and I am at work after 2 hours of sleep, I smell like second hand weed and my feet are unaturally sticky..... So I will do my best.

First the 10C tickets were incredible, I was Row 5 beside the stage (McCready) about 10 rows back, if you use the floor as a reference. My membership number is 348xxx In Calgary I was a good 5 rows back and 5 rows up.

Ok where to start? First, the crowd was not as in to it as they were in Calgary, but man was the band into it, I don't know if they were still on a high from Sunday night or what, but Eddie was the most animated I have seen him in years, if they had this energy in Calgary, the concert may be one of the greatest shows ever.

I liked the edmonton setlist more, but it was a little too short, some highlights include, Go (second song) ending the song with the Strobe Lights was great and the song sounded awesome.

The other highlight was Crazy Mary, somebody has already talked about it, and it sounds like Boom and Mike did something similar already ont his tour, but without a doubt that was one of the greatest performances of Crazy Mary that I have ever seen. Boom was thrashing his hair like the crazy hippie that he is..... kicking the air throwing up the "Hang Loose"

Edmonton was a great show and there is no doubt in my mind that PJ used the energy from Calgary to launch into this set, if the rest of the tour plays out the same way, people are in for a treat. People will hate on the setlists, because they want the rarities and what not, but in the end, not one person is going to leave one of these shows and say that wasn't great. They are going to leave and say "I wish they played_________" "But how fucking awesome was___________?"
  • Options
    thanks for the reviews. I wonder if they will even play one new song this tour?
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    Hey,

Last night was the seventh Pearl Jam show that I have been fortunate enough to witness. I know others have eluded to the contrary, but I was in Calgary and my girlfriend and I both agree that the Edmonton show was WAY better - which is saying alot because Calgary was a pretty wicked show. Calgary was good because we got to hear some rarely played songs like Oceans, Red Mosquito, Alone, and Hard to Imagine but the focus on some more well known songs in Edmonton definately added to the energy and atmosphere and made for an excillarating show. The energy from the audience was much stronger and the band was definately feeling it and going full bore right from the outset.

Some highlights from last night include, the extended jam on Porch, DTE, Mike and Boom jamming away on the Crazy Mary solo and at one point Mike looked totally freaked out by boom and the rest of the time he just had this huge grin, many others but it is still just this wicked blurr............

MofoCop

Ain't it funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind?
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    Were you there?

Set list added later...had to confirm something. :)

Release, Go, Save You, Spin The Black Circle, Nothing As it Seems, Daughter/(Dream Baby Dream" by SUICIDE), Even Flow, Betterman, I Am Mine, Grievance, Small Town, Sad, Corduroy, Given To Fly, Wishlist/(Hard Times Are Over by John Lennon), Animal, Do The Evolution,

1st encore: Love Boat Captain, Crazy Mary, Jeremy, Porch
    2nd encore: Fucking Up, Yellow Ledbetter

Looks like Ed is a fan of Suicide too. Bruce covered Dream Baby Dream on his acoustic tour.
    " In New York as they say how the f*** ya doin'?" -Ed MSG 1 03

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options
    Hey can anyone let me know what time PJ has been coming on stage....

Gorge:
    Show Time Said 7PM
    Acoustic Set - 715PM to about 8PM
    Regular Show - 820-11

Vancouver
    Show Time Said 7:30 or 8 (i forget)
    PJ came on around 5 to 9
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Thanks for posting those photos :)
    I HAVE to have one of those gas pump stickers. Is it safe to assume they'll show up at the Philly show also?
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    Fanclub Number 196###

Row 5 Floor, far end on Eddie's left side, great view, lot better than I though it would be considering we were seats 43+44.

Awesome show, lots of energy, though enjoyed Vancouver the most beacuse of the setlist. Footsteps is my favorite song, which I heard them play for only the second time. RITFW was the highlight of the Calgary show for me, but in Edmonton I was with a friend who had never seen PJ before, so the whole event was really more exciting. I told her I hoped we'd be row 20 or better, so needless to say she was so thrilled to be close!

I caught the last tambourine Eddie threw into to crowd during the encore, and it does not even have a scratch on it. (well Ed tried to throw it to the people on the left side stands, it fell short, bounced off the stands and almost right to me!)

Anyhow, hope you all had a killer time, and enjoying seeing a fantastic band at the top of their game. see the review in the Edmonton Journal......
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Unforgettable night, just read my thread...
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    mofocop wrote:
    Hey,

Some highlights from last night include, the extended jam on Porch, DTE, Mike and Boom jamming away on the Crazy Mary solo and at one point Mike looked totally freaked out by boom and the rest of the time he just had this huge grin, many others but it is still just this wicked blurr............

MofoCop

Isn't Mike unbelievable? I've sat near him a few times. He has so much energy. It's like evry show is his first
  • Options
    poster for the show, signed and numbered on amesbros.com $60. Only one so far that has not yet sold out. Sure it will though.
  • Options
    It was my first time seeing p.j. live last night and i was thouroghly blown away. Great set, awesome energy, one of the best rock shows ive ever seen.

Thank you pearl jam for finally coming back to deadmonton.

j

ps. tenclub #262xxx row 9 floor seats 37/38
  • Options
    Sooo tired. Coming down from the back to back adrenaline rushes that were Calgary and Edmonton.

Being from Edmonton, I was freakin pumped to see PJ come in and rock Rexall, especially after the jaw dropping show they put on in Calgary. If you were there...you know what I mean. I hate to admit it but the Calgary fans were outstanding and I do think that they had more energy than Edmonton (although I was personnally louder!). Thats not to say that Edmonton wasn't loud...it hasnt been as crazy in there since the Oilers playoff games!

I couldn't believe we got Release to open...when I saw that they played it in VAN, i was sure I wouldn't get to see it on my three stops (CAL, EDM, SASK) and then to blow the doors off the place with go, save you and stbc I was on my way to thinking this was gonna top Calgary. But as the set continued, I was getting the feeling that it was almost a greatest hits show! The majority of the songs played were "singles" (a loose PJ term...I know!) which definately was appreciated by the Edmonton fans who havn't had a PJ show since 93'.

It did feel a little short (I guess only 23 songs)...jeez too bad, only 23 with two encores (sarcasm-we PJ fans are getting too spoiled maybe!!!). i heard a rumor that they were under curfew of 11:00...might have had something to do with Labor day. Either way, I met up with some of my friends who had never been to a PJ show before and were absolutely awe struck (so many songs, so much energy,etc)...add them to the 10c member list! I said, you aint seen nothin yet!

All and all...a unique PJ experience for me, the closest I have been to the stage thus far and with the "greatest hits" feel to the show in my home town. I hope that saskatoon is even more different from calgary and edmonton. I don't really care if we get new songs cause I will just be catching them on the next tour anyway!!!

Definate highlights:
    -pre/post party at stonehouse
    -Mike vs Boom in Crazy mary was well....crazy
    -loved NAIS
    -nothin to wish for in wishlist
    -lost my voice during the end of Jeremy!
    -row 5 on floor in front of mike

seeya in Sask...for the unplugged show (see bootleg to get that joke)
    "Like a cloud dropping rain...I'm discarding all thought"
  • Options
    well.... im feeling a little spent right now... on my drive back to Calgary from Edmonton I felt sad it was over... and thought, how can any other concert after the two I just saw back to back ever compare. I had 2nd row centre in Calgary and 1st row (yes!!) in front of McCready, (even got a McCready guitar pick). I have to say that the Calgary crowd was a little more into it, but the sound in Edmonton was way better. Edmonton's energy was awesome tho.. unreal, and being front row made it even better. I stood there in awe for most of the show forgetting most of the lines to songs ive been singing for years because I was so mesmorized. McCready is great.. so much eye contact with the fans, he sure has a lot of fun.. and Eddy always thankful and so high energy these two shows.. in Calgary he was having more fun with the wine and beer and being a bit more rowdy and more generous with the tamborine give aways.. i lost count to how many he gave out in Calgary. I met sooo many nice great wonderful people who I will never forget.. here are some.. Robbie from Seattle-you rock and how awesome that Eddie gave you his arm band at the end. Gabe- you're so sweet and would have loved to have partied more with you.. but we have lots of time for that. Kelsey and Mike from Colorado-you two rock, the nicest PJ couple I have met so far.. I can't wait to come to Colorado and visit you guys. Barbara from Italy-living in London-you are so bubbly and so much fun! Ruby- thanks for the talk at Melrose you are truly a gem, we should get together since we live so close. I forget your name.. but the young guy that was going to his first show and I said I wanted to take a picture of you before you cried, hope you had as much fun as the smile on your face showed. To the guy jumping up and down beside me front row in Edmonton, we were high fiving it all night.. you are cool! Andy from Alaska_ what a cool dude, come on over to synergy from Red Mosquito once in a while eh!! Anyone who remembers me - pm me if you want to keep in touch and trade email addresses.. OH YES!! I almost forgot about the two Brazil boys!!! you guys are awesome!! nice flag.. hope you had an awesome time guys. Im the girl who was standing behind you outside the Saddledome in Calgary before the show. And Kyle and his wife!! how is she? how are you guys? didnt see you at the Edmonton show?! And Senin-keep on riding dude!! I know I have forgot some.. and Im truly sorry...
    drove by the tour bus on the way out of town at the Fairmont Hotel... still can't believe it's all over... :( Can't wait til the next Canadian tour.
  • Options
    Damn, I love the sticker of the gas pump swimming in blood - can't wait to get it. Everything else was pretty cool too. Oh man, I'm going to spend way too much money at these shows.

"It was Luke's fault" (Ed after stumbling on Soon Forget at Kitchener '05)
  • Options
    Killer Show. After Release, they played some heavy and faster songs like Black Circle, and Go. Crazy Mary during the 1st encore was the best thing ever. Boom and Mike traded off solo's for 2-3 minutes. Stone had the Plaid pants on.

Met some nice 10 Clubbers who've hit all the shows since the Gorge. Makes me wish i had more money.

Here's a link to the poster:
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/thomaslbeckett/PJ.jpg

Best poster yet IMO...
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BinOttawa/featured
    Sometimes I see a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was Given To Fly
  • Options
    poster for the show, signed and numbered on amesbros.com $60. Only one so far that has not yet sold out. Sure it will though.

How much are they at the shows? in CAD??
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BinOttawa/featured
    Sometimes I see a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was Given To Fly
  • Options
    How much are they at the shows? in CAD??

$25 Not a bad price.. you can only buy one per person
  • Options
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Would you gusy recommend this boot? I have all 3 shows prior, but I am afraid if I dont show some restraint, Ill end up with all of them, spending like $160
  • Options
    Hey can anyone let me know what time PJ has been coming on stage....

Edmonton: 8:48pm
    Calgary: 9:00pm
    Vancouver: just after 9:00pm
    Gorge: 7:15ish
    I went to the concert
    And I fought through the crowd
    Guess I got a little too excited
    When I thought you were around
  • Options
    Wow, what an amazing show!!! It was like a dream come true for me. I was introduced to P J almost 10 years ago and this is the first concert I have been able to attend.

We were sitting on the back corner of the stage, first row and only about 10 feet away from the stage!

When they came out for the second encore Eddie came to the back corner where we were, and he looked right at me and gave me a bit of a smile and nod and then threw me his tambourine! I caught it and looked over to my husband as if to say did that really happen? Am I dreaming? Even this morning when I woke up I had to make sure that it wasn't all a dream!

UNBELIEVABLE!!! AWESOME!!!! A TOTAL DREAM COME TRUE!!!!!
    Edmonton ~ September 2005 (Thanks for the tambourine Eddie!!!)
    Gorge ~ July 22, 2006
    Gorge ~ July 23, 2006
    EV ~ Vancouver, April 2, 2008
    EV ~ Vancouver, April 3, 2008
    Calgary ~ August 8, 2009
    Calgary ~ September 21, 2011
    Edmonton ~ September 23, 2011 ... and hopefully more soon!
  • Options
    i was sitting directly in front of Boom so i got to see him jammin away on multiple songs. and at one point enjoying a smoke while watching the band play :D

crazy mary jam had Mike over right beside Boom up on the riser jammin away with him. the two were really feeding off one another! the same thing was repeated later when Jeff was over beside Boom during the beginning of YL. the two seemed to shake hands at the end of their little jam, when Mike began to do his thang ;)
    Ed had the mirror above his head during Porch bouncing light onto difference parts of the crowd. he wanted to do it at the beginning of the song, but the lighting tech didnt see him pointing up at the light. real great jam during porch, the song was probly 8 minutes long, right on the whole time, wonderful drumming.
    at the end of the show all the drum sticks were thrown behind the stage.. maybe no so lucky with the view for most of the show, but some were rewarded in the end.
    fuckin up was nice, havent heard it played in a while (personally). Ed talked about how it was a Neil song and something about someone from our country had written it.
    someone else posted about the crowd not being quite as into it as in Calgary the nigth before. i agree, but that doesnt mean the crowd was laxed.. the band was once again on fire :)
    I went to the concert
    And I fought through the crowd
    Guess I got a little too excited
    When I thought you were around
  • Options
    I saw my first two pearl jam shows this weekend in edmonton and calgary and they were absolutely amazing. i have to agree with many of the reviews i have read in this thread that the calgary crowd was a little bit more rockin.. however as an edmontonian im not ashamed by this because i saw heaps of people i knew and recognized in amongst the cowtown audience. so i figure we represented well, and im sure a lot of calgarians came up to edmonton for the show. the atmospehere in both venues was unbelievable - i keep reading comparissons to playoff hockey games (how canadian are we, hey?) and i agree fully. especially when the house lights were brought on and so many fists and chants were going off in unison..

as for setlists i think they were both pretty unreal, both had a mix of all my favorites and i was pleasantly suprised by a lot of their picks. when they opened the calgary show with oceans my heart nearly stopped.

i cant wait to see them again! i know its going to require some travel but im fully determined to see them again soon! im jealous for all you canadians east of alberta who get to see them soon; but i got to see them twice in a weekend so i cant complain. i feel so fortunate!
    COWABUNGA
  • Options
    i was sitting directly in front of Boom so i got to see him jammin away on multiple songs. and at one point enjoying a smoke while watching the band play :D

crazy mary jam had Mike over right beside Boom up on the riser jammin away with him. the two were really feeding off one another! the same thing was repeated later when Jeff was over beside Boom during the beginning of YL. the two seemed to shake hands at the end of their little jam, when Mike began to do his thang ;)
    Ed had the mirror above his head during Porch bouncing light onto difference parts of the crowd. he wanted to do it at the beginning of the song, but the lighting tech didnt see him pointing up at the light. real great jam during porch, the song was probly 8 minutes long, right on the whole time, wonderful drumming.
    at the end of the show all the drum sticks were thrown behind the stage.. maybe no so lucky with the view for most of the show, but some were rewarded in the end.
    fuckin up was nice, havent heard it played in a while (personally). Ed talked about how it was a Neil song and something about someone from our country had written it.
    someone else posted about the crowd not being quite as into it as in Calgary the nigth before. i agree, but that doesnt mean the crowd was laxed.. the band was once again on fire :)

Yeah I hope nobody took it as a slight towards Edmonton when I said Calgary's crowd was slightly better. Little things like Alive and when Ed had to hesitate before Betterman were what stuck out in my mind. With that being said, the band was WAY more active up in the 'Chuck which was awesome. Somebody asked me what show I liked more and I had to say it was a draw. Calgary was longer and the crowd was great, but Edmonton had the best performance with Crazy Mary, and as if Go did not kick some serious ass. Both shows were awesome and something tells me it is going to be more of the same as they head out east. Lets hope they include us for the tour when they release the CD. PJ twice in a year would be heaven.
  • Options
    For the record, Edmonton destroyed Calgary.

Missing the 10c sale was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I ended up having to fight for Ticketmaster tickets, and I was sort of disappointed by the fact that my tickets said "Behind stage." I griped about it for months, and even considered buying better tickets from scalpers tonight.

Well, it was good that my ideals got the better of me, because my tickets ended up being right behind Matt in the third row behind the stage. Not too shabby for missing the 10c pre-sale, the local TM pre-sale, and then the first day of the public sale. I was even eventually able to snake my way down to the first row behind Matt. Right from the get-go, I was really, on one hand, in awe, and on the other, excited as hell that I was finally attending a show. I honestly had no hope for a Release opener, because obviously, they had just played it in Vancouver only two shows prior to Edmonton. Well, guess again, because look what ended up happening! Straight into Go, Save You, and then finally, another one of my hopes, Spin The Black Circle. As if it couldn't get any better from that point, Ed introduced Mike, and the band launched right into Nothing As It Seems, followed by Daughter, which made an early appearance in the show. Then the magic really started happening, because on Even Flow, Ed walked behind all the amplifiers, and jumped onto the drum riser to sing. It was unbelievable. Better Man made another early appearance, which was then followed by I Am Mine, which is a severely underrated song, in my opinion. I didn't think they'd play it, so I was pleasantly surprised. Grievance, a song that I've never really been into, was quite the attention catcher, because of the band-jam breakdown part that gets played around Matt's kit. Again, completely awesome! Ed spoke a few lines and then him and Stone delved into Small Town. The band then resorted to pulling out some oddities, and played Sad. I was glad to get to witness Sad, especially considering Calgary got Alone. Enter Corduroy; another tremendous performance. Another magical moment occurred on Given To Fly: Ed again, came behind the amplifiers and sang a large portion of the song facing us. Wishlist was completely awesome, especially during the unique solo, because of the huge whirling mirrorball hanging from the lighting assembly. Edmonton was then crushed by an Animal, and then subdued by Do The Evolution. The band made a quick escape, but returned promptly to Love Boat Captain sans organ intro from Boom. (Sort of odd, considering he co-wrote the song.) Boom redeemed himself completely on Crazy Mary, as he and Mike faced eachother off in an epic organ vs. guitar duel. Being behind Boom, and watching how much energy he puts into playing the keys really gave me a new perspective on his role in the band. For the first time on the tour, Canada got to hear Jeff's well-known intro to Jeremy, complete with all-round audience participation. Ed started Porch off with a guitar. By the time Porch had ended, Ed had swapped the guitar for a mirror, while the rest of the band continued to pound away on the ten minute version. Ed used the mirror to reflect the intense spotlight all around the upper level of the arena, as well as the floor and mid-levels. It was sort of touching in a way. All too soon, the band left the stage and returned with an unexpected rendition of Neil Young's Fucking Up and the inevitable closer, Yellow Ledbetter. Even though the show was a mere 23 songs, I was completely blown away by the energy everyone seemed to have left at the end of summer. (Also considering most post-secondary school's in Edmonton start tomorrow.) From the band to the audience, it was apparent that everyone showed up at Rexall to lose whatever energy they had left. My throat was sore, and I could barely speak or hear after the show, but it was so worth it. I only have more respect and admiration for the band now. I can't wait for Pearl Jam to pop up to Edmonton again, because I will definitely be in attendance no matter what tickets I have. I just wanted to thank all the awesome out-of-town Jammers in attendance for upping the energy of an already electric city and venue. No one was disappointed!

Thanks!
    It's evolution, baby!