Options

what are you doing, right now?

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,600
    ^ Stay safe! I left the Okanagan Valley fires to blue skies in Fraser Valley 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Thanks Tish. If there is an evacuation order, we are out of here. The alert boundary is about 400m to the west on the other side of the river. 
    I would never put the firefighters at any additional risk by sticking around. They have enough to worry about protecting critical infrastructure and homes.  The last thing they need is to be unnecessarily placed in danger because someone didn’t heed the evacuation warning and then needed rescuing, reports of which happened last night in West Kelowna
  • Options
    Well I hope you panic pack better than I did. I packed three bikinis, four pairs of shoes, a set of beautiful lingerie, and a couple ski jackets.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,480
    Thanks Tish. If there is an evacuation order, we are out of here. The alert boundary is about 400m to the west on the other side of the river. 
    I would never put the firefighters at any additional risk by sticking around. They have enough to worry about protecting critical infrastructure and homes.  The last thing they need is to be unnecessarily placed in danger because someone didn’t heed the evacuation warning and then needed rescuing, reports of which happened last night in West Kelowna
    Stay safe! 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    Stay safe. Please keep us posted. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Cooler temps are helping the firefighters. Had two friends stay here last night who were evacuated from West Kelowna last night. Things are still pretty tenuous 

There are other places in bad shape as well. Some areas further north in the Shushwap. Overall, 35,000 British Columbians are currently evacuated with 30,000 more on alert. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6941544
    https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/442499/McDougall-Creek-fire-behaviour-appears-to-have-calmed-Saturday-morning

A good news story is that the firefighters saved a brand new $75M water treatment facility with $10,000 worth of sprinklers and pumps. The flames were over top of the structure. True professionals those firefighters. 

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Wishing you and yours good luck and helpful winds to get the fire away (rain is probably too much to hope for right now). I have several relatives leaving Kelowna now, one couple who just purchased their Kelowna home last fall. I can’t imagine how scary it must be to see that smoke and those flames come
    closer 

We have been so fortunate in Victoria and most areas of the Island this summer. I almost feel guilty for how easy our summer has been compared to tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of other British Columbians and Canadians in other provinces. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Best wishes to your loved ones in Kelowna often.  I live about 90 minutes south of downtown Kelowna in the narrowest part of the Okanagan valley and the smoke is so thick down here you don’t want to be outside. 
    Smoke-onagan is an earned nickname 
  • Options
    Best wishes to your loved ones in Kelowna often.  I live about 90 minutes south of downtown Kelowna in the narrowest part of the Okanagan valley and the smoke is so thick down here you don’t want to be outside. 
    Smoke-onagan is an earned nickname 
    Thank you. My cousin and her husband, who have the new house, are with other family locally so who knows how long that will last. The other set have decided to drive back up to Prince George for the duration. 
  • Options
    How are you, your family and friends doing today, 1Thought? 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Hi oftenreading, Thanks for reaching out in a pm. After reading your inquiry to TK1 I felt left out!

I returned home because so many communities sent firemen and equipment to help stave off the fire and keep travel corridors open thus far, even though the fires are still out of control. I'm glad I have air purifiers to cleanse our air in the home and that we have a home, too! 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    tish said:
    Hi oftenreading, Thanks for reaching out in a pm. After reading your inquiry to TK1 I felt left out!

I returned home because so many communities sent firemen and equipment to help stave off the fire and keep travel corridors open thus far, even though the fires are still out of control. I'm glad I have air purifiers to cleanse our air in the home and that we have a home, too! 

No intention to leave you out, Tish! In my brain it made sense to ask after 1T here, since it's his thread, and pm you directly in case you weren't checking this thread, but I readily admit my thought process may be opaque to some ;). Good to hear your home is safe - I hope it remains so.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    tish said:
    ^ Damn my fickle clairvoyancy powers. And my inability to comprehend translucent, transparent, and opaque definitions without my hippocampus revisting synaptic neural networks from grade six science with the freaky teacher (and my first employer) who had a red spot in his eye, Mr. Paine.

I had booked (but cancelled) some Juan de Fuca (is that spanish ffs) camping this summer in case our air quality petered out sooner... I'll get Pipsqueak on a ferry and into a surfing hat and booties, yet! Enjoy the island summer! 

🤗 to u

Wonder what the locals called it?

Ahhh... I guess I should say I was going to visit the Coast Salish.
    I can’t clairvoy worth shit either, Tish :lol: 

Sorry to cause an unnecessary reminder of Paine ;) 

I have done some camping in various areas of the Island, both back country and front country (family-friendly). PM me if you have any questions that I might be able to answer. 
  • Options
    ^Thanks! Maybe down the road...

Currently, back to thread integrity, I'm discussing with my daughter how her first overnight summer camp, where she found summer love (true love forever) a few weeks back just burned 90% down (based on images taken from boats, since it's evacuated still) while wondering about the school district email about evolving learning environments if some schools don't start up after labour day.

Is that a run-on sentence?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Nothing has changed here often. Weather is somewhat cooperating (cooler, no wind) but the full extent of the damage has yet to be determined. The smoke is still incredibly thick. The folks up around the Shuswap area have dealt with a pair of fires that combined to form an estimated 410 km2 in size. The fire about 10km from me is still out of control, estimated to be about 1100 hectares. We remain just outside the evacuation alert zone. 

Stories of some West Kelowna firefighters who continue to work even though they are completely aware they have lost their own homes. The Fire Chief mentioned some of the burned trees were ripped out of the ground by the force of the fire and winds. 

To top it off, the first tropical storm to hit California in 8 decades gets pushed north by a mid-west US high pressure system, unfortunately very little rain will reach these fires.  To everyone in California affected by the flooding and earthquake, my thoughts are with you, it is a shame Mother Earth didn’t save some of that precipitation for the BC interior. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    ^ I hope you can get outside for some fresh air soon!!! I'm starting today in the yard listening to the group of people with no shelter chat in the bordering park.  Puppy will get an outing soon!
  • Options
    Nothing has changed here often. Weather is somewhat cooperating (cooler, no wind) but the full extent of the damage has yet to be determined. The smoke is still incredibly thick. The folks up around the Shuswap area have dealt with a pair of fires that combined to form an estimated 410 km2 in size. The fire about 10km from me is still out of control, estimated to be about 1100 hectares. We remain just outside the evacuation alert zone. 

Stories of some West Kelowna firefighters who continue to work even though they are completely aware they have lost their own homes. The Fire Chief mentioned some of the burned trees were ripped out of the ground by the force of the fire and winds. 

To top it off, the first tropical storm to hit California in 8 decades gets pushed north by a mid-west US high pressure system, unfortunately very little rain will reach these fires.  To everyone in California affected by the flooding and earthquake, my thoughts are with you, it is a shame Mother Earth didn’t save some of that precipitation for the BC interior. 

I hope that change for the better comes soon for you. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    ^^^^^love the oxymoron.

I'm reading fiction. Fiction, sweet fiction. Nothing like a novel after a decade of textbooks. It's a romance that flashes between young love and intense sexual tension years later: "...like I could fall into his eyes and never get out".
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,523
    Watching Yellowjackets, S2 E9..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Heading into West Kelowna to visit a friend, imbibe and maybe see some of the aftermath. 
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Doing corporate tax returns, and gathering facts for our PJ trip to St. Paul!
  • Options
    Relaxing in the absolutely spectacular Cloud Forest hostel in Chugchilan, Ecuador after hiking to the glacier of the Cotopaxi volcano this morning.  
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    Taking the subway home after seeing the Arctic Monkeys. 
  • Options
    Hanging at the Mariscal Sucre Airport in Quito, pounding Moscow Mules in anticipation of a 2am flight to San Salvador 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    tish said:

Beautiful. It's why we live
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    It's been 4 years I think since I had courage to go to a swimming pool..i took my 6 year old on my own and we had so much fun. I made a difference 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ^ Fantastic, Rob!