Christmas and our Troops

of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone know of an active serving military group that is overseas that would love to have a christmas package sent to them? If so, I need to know! My sons' cub scout pack voted to send over Christmas cards and a care package to those that are serving that will not be home for Christmas.

If anyone has any info or an address to send them to...that would be great.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Off the top of my head the USO or Red Cross would be easy to find on the net and they may be able to give you the info you seek.
    Bridge School Benefit 1 1994 Fargo 2003 Winnipeg 2005 St Paul 2006 Auckland 2009 Christchurch 2009 2011: Alpine Valley 1 & 2 Montreal Toronto 1 & 2 Ottawa Hamilton Winnipeg Saskatoon Calgary Edmonton Vancouver
    EV MPLS 2011 Missoula 9/30/12
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Off the top of my head the USO or Red Cross would be easy to find on the net and they may be able to give you the info you seek.

i was thinking Conman or the VFW might be able to help.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    A colleague of mine has been very instrumental in the Wounded Warriors cause, check this out:

http://www.iwarriors.org/
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    81 wrote:
    Off the top of my head the USO or Red Cross would be easy to find on the net and they may be able to give you the info you seek.

Thanks for that reminder of Conman.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:

ooohhh conman...he's away from home...conman, would you like me to send you some homemade cookies? pumpkin bread?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    sheila0225 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i have some buddies that are on a ship right now but they've been gone for a long time so they might be home by christmas...... i'll try to get in touch with them and get back to you
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

ooohhh conman...he's away from home...conman, would you like me to send you some homemade cookies? pumpkin bread?
    gee thanks for the consideration but i'll actually be home for christmas this year :)
    conman wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i have some buddies that are on a ship right now but they've been gone for a long time so they might be home by christmas...... i'll try to get in touch with them and get back to you

Thanks. That would be much appreciated. When are they expected back?
    sheila0225 wrote:

i have no idea actually :oops: but i will let you know as soon as i make contact with them
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    elwayvedder is very involved with helping the troops, I'm sure if you pm him, he can help you out

the man is a workhorse for those in need, he's got all kinds of causes
    conman wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:

i have no idea actually :oops: but i will let you know as soon as i make contact with them

Was just curious. Our pack is wanting to send Thanksgiving Cards to troops as well.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    conman wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

gee thanks for the consideration but i'll actually be home for christmas this year :)

ok, that's good you'll be home for the holidays! :D
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • no matter who or from where or which country,people serve their country has the biggest respect i can have..
    have fun at Christmas and stay safe guys
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    I am interested in sending a care package as well.

I'm in touch with elwayvedder on here. He's helping me organize this for our scouts. You might want to reach out to him as well.
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,138
    I know that in the UK they've asked people to only send through charities/organisations as they've had so many random others coming through the forces postal system it has delayed family parcs getting through.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,117
    sheila0225 wrote:

I'm in touch with elwayvedder on here. He's helping me organize this for our scouts. You might want to reach out to him as well.

Sheila, you are a star in my sky! Thank you for reaching out to me and making my day. Anyone who is curious as ways to do some good similar to what Sheila is doing, please PM me and I can assist through a group I volunteer for (www.yellowribbonclub.org).

Conman - thank you for your service to our country and for helping provide the freedom I have to be on these forums here today
    sheila0225 wrote:

Sheila, you are a star in my sky! Thank you for reaching out to me and making my day. Anyone who is curious as ways to do some good similar to what Sheila is doing, please PM me and I can assist through a group I volunteer for (http://www.yellowribbonclub.org).

Conman - thank you for your service to our country and for helping provide the freedom I have to be on these forums here today

It was great talking with you yesterday. The boys are super excited to help the troops. They already want to come over this weekend and start making cards and baking cookies. :lol: I'll make bakers out of these boys yet.
    awesome! Don't forget to show them the website where they can see homecoming pictures, pics from the troops, and letters from the troops etc. It will fire them up even more!
    awesome! Don't forget to show them the website where they can see homecoming pictures, pics from the troops, and letters from the troops etc. It will fire them up even more!

The list that is on there...is that current? It says last updated on 11/2009. Just want to make sure before I hand this out to the scouts and do our troop drive.
    sheila0225 wrote:

The list that is on there...is that current? It says last updated on 11/2009. Just want to make sure before I hand this out to the scouts and do our troop drive.

yep, its pretty up to date. I have a more up to date list if anyone wants it, just PM me your email and I will send it as an attachment you can print out and hand out etc
    bump in regards to celebrating our Vets this coming 11/11/11 and every day