KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I would like to help.

I will try and translate a few, and post them here when they´re ready!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    CharlieP wrote:
    I would like to help.

I will try and translate a few, and post them here when they´re ready!

Fantastic! You might want to say which ones you're working on and then maybe someone else can help with the others. :)

Thank you!

Love,
    Kat
  • Options
    Ok, great Kat, then I will start working on translations for the concert reviews (the first and final link you posted).

The middle links are basically saying the same things about PJ and the Roskilde festival, but If I have time I will translate those as well.
    Or maybe someone can take over with these...? Otherwise I will do that as well.

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    I would love to help out with the translations. But I simply have to much other stuff to do.
    But hail hail CharlieP for investing the time! :)
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
  • Options
    dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
    Magical Pearl Jam

Seven years after the accident at Roskilde Pearl Jam returned with a magical performance gaffa.dk´s reviewer reports.

For the first since the accident at the Roskilde Festival in 2000 where nine people were lost, Pearl Jam was back in Denmark to a sold out concert at Forum arena.

And according to the reviewer of gaffa.dk, Anders Frandsen, it became, after a devout intro, a magical evening for the many listeners.

“And then it happened! The last three quarters of an hour of the concert were simply magical and showed why Pearl Jam is emphasized as the world´s best live-band. From “World Wide Suicide”, where McCready and Gossard hammered away like an avalanche chasing the voice of Eddie Vedder, the sprint down the hills continued in “Once”, “Black” and “Alive”…”

Glad to help
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    still working...and if no one takes the final two review links from Kat, I can manage to do those as well.

• Options
    pajopajo Posts: 3,292
    Hey dreamcode and CharlieP,

thanks a lot for your translations and your willingness to help. Kat is not the only one who wants to know how our boys and their magical show in your country were reviewed in the press... :D
    Thanks!
  • Options
    biomegabiomega Posts: 2
    Pearl Jam
    Forum Copenhagen 26/07/07
    rated 5/6

After seven long years pearl jam refound their Danish Audience on -at times-magic evening at the Forum.
    "we all walk the long road" Eddie Vedder chanted like a gatorade jesus in the first song of the evening. And the sortie of "long Road" couldn´t have been more suitible. Since the early nineties, where grunge delivered a swift kick in the nuts to a decaying rock genre, the concerts of Pearl Jam in Denmark have been irrevocably tied to landmark events, Both Roskilde in 1992 where Denmark won the european championship in soccer and -especially- the tragic accident at the same venue year 2000, where 9 people died. An accident that brought the band on the brink of instinction, and took seven years before the wound would allow another embrace with the danish fans.

In the order of merrit-badges on the pocket of the flannel-shirt; the connectedness with the audience has always shone with a special glow by Pearl Jam. For the same reason the Roskilde accident was a painful accentuation of the distance between band and audience - no matter how hard you try to be on the same level.

Maybe this was the reason for the initial awe from both band and crowd at the sold out Forum, where "Long Road" moved onto "Corduroy" When "Why Go" yet again proved that Eddie Vedder´s voice has a magnetic effect to steer migrating birds off course and make compas needels turn about confused.

Subsecuently the band moved into more rocky terrain with assorted flowers from "in Hiding", over "Love Boat Captain" and "Love Reign O´er Me" To "Severed Hand", which never really lifted itself out of the muddy bog that has a caracterrized a large portion of Pearl Jam´s latest albums. Somewhat a shame as "love Boat Captain" looms as the bands epitaf over the nine victims of the Roskilde accident. Meanwhile Eddie Vedder´s thanking the crowd and relatives was an unfocused ordeal, that didn´t bring relief. The steadfast applause of the good intentions though- were unmistakeable.

The unsurpassable strength of Pearl Jam is the breadth of their catalog, which means, that a single recognizeable guitar-riff can unite the entire room. And with "Light Years" there were once again -sing a long- on full. After this the band securely moved unto an intermediate plateau containing among other "Given To Fly", "I Am Mine" and Elderly Woman..." before turning the volume up a notch on "Life Wasted" and "Porch", the latter being played in a lo-fi/ ramschackle/ sound that would have benefitted the fresh sound of "Ten".

And then it happened! The last 45 min. were quite simply magic, showing why Pearl Jam are often called the best live act in the world. From "World Wide Suicide" with McCready og Gossard Hammering along like an avalanche hunting for Eddie Vedder´s voice, continuing the decend over hills such as "Once", Black" and "Alive" before we went into the encores where the lights of the Forum were turned on. And while McCready practically chiseled riffs in granite on "Keep On Rockin´In The Free World" The entire room emerged into a dancefrenzy very far from saturday´s coordinated pompous dancemoves of Justin Timberlake.

"This is how we say goodbye in Seattle" Eddie Vedder Grinned before "Yellow Ledbetter" ended a fantastic evening.

by Anders Frandsen

(attempt of) translation by biomega
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    thanks for the translation biomega :)

it's nice to see a review where the reviewer seems to actually know a thing or two about the band and knows all the song names and stuff... i may not agree with SOME of his opinions of songs but he knows his stuff indeed.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    Nice translation, biomega. Shure alot of ppl will find it interesting.
    And welcome to the board!
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    Hm...was just about to post my translation (Gaffa review) when I saw it´s already been posted.

I´ll try the soundvenue one then....

• Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    The review from ekstra bladet is not worth translating. It is trying to explain about the band and the roskilde connection. And best of all: "pearl Jam does not have enough great songs to keep a show going 2 hours +".
    But usually when this guy gives hard critisism the show has been outstanding. He is an old timer heavy metal freak from the ´90.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    Röeghmann wrote:
    The review from ekstra bladet is not worth translating. It is trying to explain about the band and the roskilde connection. And best of all: "pearl Jam does not have enough great songs to keep a show going 2 hours +".
    But usually when this guy gives hard critisism the show has been outstanding. He is an old timer heavy metal freak from the ´90.

Yes indeed he is (:

Mr. Treo!

• Options
    Soundvenue review (Danish magazine)
    Rated: 5/6 stars.

“Hearts and thoughts they fade away”. Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder sang the classic line from the song “Small town” from the “Vs” album, and the sold out crowd at the forum replied :” I just wanna scream ‘hello’”. It´s been fifteen years since Pearl Jam played their first show in Denmark, and it´s been seven years since the tragic accident at the Roskilde festival. A few days ago the young girls screamed because of Justin Timberlake playing in Copenhagen, and soon old ladies are about too scream because of Mick Jagger, but it´s the baritone of Vedders´beautiful voice and the melancholic and painful lyrics that make grunge girls go crazy.

The heart-wrenching poetry of Eddie Vedder has, since grunge peaked in its prime-time, found a home in millions of melancholic hearts. With bands such as Nirvana, Alice in chains and Soundgarden, they added a new energy to rock music – inspired by punk bands, and a full frontal attack against glamrock such as Van Halen. With an authentic cutting edge and pure “weltschmerz” they made the sound of the over-produced eighties and their perfect guitar solos that fit more in the world of commercials than in the hearts of rebels, seem pointless. It was a hard-driven show with a lot of songs played from their recent Avocado album, but it was the old songs from “Ten” and “Vs” like “Why go” and “Small town” that the audience responded the most to. Those songs were also the peaks of the show. After 90 intense minutes the first set came to an end. Thereafter the mature grunge-gods came back and delivered “Black” and “Alive” to an ecstatic audience. Mike Mccready showed his guitar skills which are absolute world-class, while Stone Gossard, Matt Cameron and Jeff Ament once again showed, what a rhythm section is supposed to be like.

While Kurt Cobain paved his own road of wrath and committed suicide, Pearl Jam always showed the more melancholic/poetic aspect of the Seattle sound. The band and their fans have always had the community as their main focus point at shows, but also by releasing special bootleg sets and fanclub christmas singles . This makes it even more tragic that it was at a Pearl Jam show, nine young men died due to massive pressure in front of the orange stage at the Roskilde festival in 2000. An incident that has moved the band and their fans deeply. Pearl Jam have gone through a period of sorrow ever since Roskilde, and to many, this was a healing night. The band had invited the families of the victims, and Vedder gave a short remembrance speech before playing an extra set, beginning with a beautiful rendition of “Betterman” which led to “RITFW” from the Neil Young collaboration back in the Mirrorball days. By playing “Yellow Ledbetter”, Pearl Jam ended a beautiful and rocking night in an overheated forum full of feelings and rebellious energy.

• Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    Sorry i have to make a correction to a previous post. The reviewer from ekstra bladet is not a metal freak he is just a fool. The heavy metal freak is the reviewer from another danish newspaper BT, who also made a poor review today. Not that I have something against people who disagree with me - if they do in a sencible way.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    Obviously, this article has its mistakes though (Young collaboration?) (:

• Options
    Röeghmann wrote:

We need to see that one also if anyone can translate it. Do you have a link to it? Thank you again.

Love,
    Kat
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    pajo wrote:
    Hey dreamcode and CharlieP,

thanks a lot for your translations and your willingness to help. Kat is not the only one who wants to know how our boys and their magical show in your country were reviewed in the press... :D
    Thanks!
    ditto! i'm really enjoying these.
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    thanks for all the translations!!! :)
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    Deep_DKDeep_DK Posts: 151
    Here's another review from Berlingske Tidende. Unfortunately I don't have time to translate it myself right now. There are also some pictures.

http://www.berlingske.dk/dine-ord/artikel:aid=912726
    It's not a crime to free your mind.
  • Options
    Concert Review: Pearl Jam
    By JOHNNY HARBOE
    Published 06.27.07 kl. 2:30 pm
    American Pearl Jam was back in Denmark for the first time since the fatal concert at Roskilde Festival, which costed the lives of nine people.
    Forum, Copenhagen: PEARL JAM
    Tuesday.
    It would be a special evening. Not any of the ten thousand attendants was in doubt of that.
    Just a week before this year´s Roskilde Festival Pearl Jam visited Denmark for the first time since the tragic accident during the 2000 Roskilde Festival, and already early on during the concert lead vocalist Eddie Vedder enquired the audience if everybody was okay and encouraged at the same time everybody to look out for each other. Succeedingly he pointed out that the concert, which was in the minds of everyone, would be addressed later.
    But first it was the musik, which should speak, and Forum was invited into Pearl Jam´s rehearsal studio. At least that´s what the stage looked like. Simply built, with a sand-coloured backdrop and speakers of an earlier date, it gave the band a lot of freedom to move about and ensured a both festive and relaxed mood.
    Actually relaxed to a point that the concert at times was about to turn into a monotone [turn on itself].
    Instead of building the set around the classics as secure bases to work from, it had a few yawning periods, where newer and more insignificant tracks were played – none mentioned, none remembered.
    But when Pearl Jam hit the nerve, they hit it big time.
    Energetic versions of “Do The Evolution” and “World Wide Suicide” worked great, while “Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town” as the only track represented the apparently disregarded “Vs” album. det åbenbart oversete album “Vs”.
    Above all though ruled the songs from the multimillion-selling album “Ten”.
    If one thought that the strong ”Why Go” and the completely ecstastic reaction to the bubbly jam-version of “Porch” were a kind of climax, it was only until the tremendous “Once”, “Black” and “Alive” were intoned.
    Gesture
    The last-mentioned - which, it should be said, ranks on this reviewer´s list of the best rock-tracks of all times – was delivered so intensely and with such an audience-choir, combined with the formidable rockvoice of Eddie Vedder that the ending solo almost made tears burst out.
    It is quite simply for moments like these that you go to a concert.
    And then after two hours of music it had been time for reflection. A noticeably nervous Eddie Vedder held a speech to the relatives of the Roskilde-tragedy, who were present on one of the balconies of the house and who subsequent got the unequivocal tribute of sympathy from the crowd.
    A worthy gesture and as the lights were turned on during the cover-verison of Neil Young´s “Keep On Rockin´ In The Free World” everyone could set out rest assured that life goes on.
    Even if one had to bring out a few more classics from the gems. I guess there would have been room for an “Animal” or a “Rearviewmirror”.

Here´s another try...
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    CharlieP wrote:
    still working...and if no one takes the final two review links from Kat, I can manage to do those as well.
    My Danish is not that good as well. Although some sentences are quite easy to pick up :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    flipflopflipflop Posts: 3
    http://www.berlingske.dk/dine-ord/artikel:aid=912726#

This is the best review I've been able to find - still only 4 outta 6 but it's clear the reviewer is more sympathetic to the band than any other reviewer. Would love to translate it but haven't got the time. Leaving for Roskilde soon ;)

Edit: Also, top right under 'billedserier' (picture series) are a four-picture gallery from the concert, one audience shot - could be one of you guys :p
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    CharlieP wrote:
    Soundvenue review (Danish magazine)
    Rated: 5/6 stars.

“Hearts and thoughts they fade away”. Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder sang the classic line from the song “Small town” from the “Vs” album, and the sold out crowd at the forum replied :” I just wanna scream ‘hello’”. It´s been fifteen years since Pearl Jam played their first show in Denmark, and it´s been seven years since the tragic accident at the Roskilde festival. A few days ago the young girls screamed because of Justin Timberlake playing in Copenhagen, and soon old ladies are about too scream because of Mick Jagger, but it´s the baritone of Vedders´beautiful voice and the melancholic and painful lyrics that make grunge girls go crazy.

The heart-wrenching poetry of Eddie Vedder has, since grunge peaked in its prime-time, found a home in millions of melancholic hearts. With bands such as Nirvana, Alice in chains and Soundgarden, they added a new energy to rock music – inspired by punk bands, and a full frontal attack against glamrock such as Van Halen. With an authentic cutting edge and pure “weltschmerz” they made the sound of the over-produced eighties and their perfect guitar solos that fit more in the world of commercials than in the hearts of rebels, seem pointless. It was a hard-driven show with a lot of songs played from their recent Avocado album, but it was the old songs from “Ten” and “Vs” like “Why go” and “Small town” that the audience responded the most to. Those songs were also the peaks of the show. After 90 intense minutes the first set came to an end. Thereafter the mature grunge-gods came back and delivered “Black” and “Alive” to an ecstatic audience. Mike Mccready showed his guitar skills which are absolute world-class, while Stone Gossard, Matt Cameron and Jeff Ament once again showed, what a rhythm section is supposed to be like.

While Kurt Cobain paved his own road of wrath and committed suicide, Pearl Jam always showed the more melancholic/poetic aspect of the Seattle sound. The band and their fans have always had the community as their main focus point at shows, but also by releasing special bootleg sets and fanclub christmas singles . This makes it even more tragic that it was at a Pearl Jam show, nine young men died due to massive pressure in front of the orange stage at the Roskilde festival in 2000. An incident that has moved the band and their fans deeply. Pearl Jam have gone through a period of sorrow ever since Roskilde, and to many, this was a healing night. The band had invited the families of the victims, and Vedder gave a short remembrance speech before playing an extra set, beginning with a beautiful rendition of “Betterman” which led to “RITFW” from the Neil Young collaboration back in the Mirrorball days. By playing “Yellow Ledbetter”, Pearl Jam ended a beautiful and rocking night in an overheated forum full of feelings and rebellious energy.
    this review brought tears to my eyes... although everythings making me teary today :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Optimistic Pearl Jam concert.
    Pearl Jam returned to Danish soil in triumph after the Roskilde tragedy as they performed Tuesday evening at the Forum in Copenhagen. Read the review here
    Thomas Treo - 07:15 – 27th June 2007

Pearl Jam, Forum, Copenhagen, Tuesday evening

Pearl Jam might started out nice and quiet, but already five minutes into their first concert on Danish soil since the tragedy at the Roskilde Festival in 2000 leadvocalist Eddie Vedder felt obligated to carefully ask:

– Everybody o.k.?

And every 10,000 in the sold-out Forum sure was, as the audience certainly didn´t let the group´s fatal past in Denmark interfere. Though the nine deaths probably were in the back of the mind of even the drunkest in the house the Forum gushed over by draught beer delight.

All through the two hours and twenty minutes long marathon concert Pearl Jam was obviously marked by the situation, but in an ideal way the quintet from Seattle used the poignant disaster positively and with nerve and will they blasted through a generally explosive and savage set.

Towards the end Vedder held a somewhat groping speach to the relatives, of whom many apparently were present, but otherwise Pearl Jam wisely let the music speak and it was actually easier to understand than the adenoidal statements from the singer.

Quite catchy
    Since the group formed in 1990 their bombastic roaring and bulkily swaying rock music has often sounded strangely woollen and unreleased but last night Pearl Jam came closer to ideals like The Who and Neil Young with a more aggressive intensity that even made the band´s many mediocre songs quite catchy.

But Pearl Jam simply doesn´t have enough outstanding songs to keep the show going from broad daylight outside until close to midnight and especially halfway through they hammered away in idle running with songs that never rose above the mixture of pearls of sweat and drops of draught beer on the arena floor.

Almost punked “Life Wasted” and “World Wide Suicide” from the Americans´fine album from last year that´s just entitled ”Pearl Jam” had the dynamics that so much of their material desire and Vedder even swung the microphone in Roger Daltrey style during the impetuous “Life Wasted”.

Still ”Alive”
    The ensemble hasn´t played in Copenhagen since 1992, where they by the way played the Roskilde Festival too along with the style-kings of the Seattle-rock, Nirvana, but it was almost similar to fifteen years ago when the likeable gang pulled out the debut single and breakthrough hit “Alive” from the gems as an encore.

Naturally the assembly ecstatically bawled the chorus:

– Oh I, oh, I’m still alive!

A worthy performance by a band with its heart in the right place and even though the evening really was a bigger triumph for the healing powers of rock than the music of Pearl Jam it was none the less an optimistic and uplifting experience.
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    biomegabiomega Posts: 2
    Review from Berlingske Tidende
    rated 4/6

caption: Good thing they came.

I've never felt this way about a concert before.
    None of the 10.000 attendees felt this way about a concert before.

Never before did so many people sharing a common interest get together with this much emotion inside and out. there is no arguing that.

Almost seven years to the date to the terrible accident, that claimed the lives of nine young men during a concert with the american rockband Pearl Jam, the qvintet have returned to Denmark.

The Hours before the concert a mist of memories, meeninglessness, of sorrow hope and dreams of some sort of relief and thousands undescribeable, primal feelings no-one could put into words, sored under the celing. It could never be a run-of-the-mill concert. The Danish Concert-crowd is -luckily too aware of the consequenses of the accident for that to happen.
    Furthermore Pearl Jam is well known to be one of the few star-outfits who is-aside from the music- decent/conscious people. people of flesh and blod with their heart in the right place.
    If they weren´t they probably never would have set foot on Danish soil again.

20 minutes past nine the lights went out and Pearl Jam entered the dark stage to the warmest applause, the old bicycle arena has ever known.

the last time Eddie Vedder looked at a Danish audience it was with tears streaming down his face.
    They didn´t on this occation, but he was clearly moved by the circumstances.
    He carefully bowed, put his lips to the microphone and send the first verses of "Long Road" into the air.
    "I wished for so long/I cannot stay/All the precious moments/Cannot stay/Its not like wings have fallen/I cannot say/Still something is missing/I cannot say/Holding hands of daughters and sons/In their phase theyre falling down/Down, down, down/I have wished for so long/How I wish for you again".
    The song is older than the Roskilde accident, but this wasn´t evident. It took straight to the hearts of the crowd, much the same way it did the American tv-audience when Vedder peformed it with Neil Young on NBC in rememberence of the 9/11 victims.

"Everybody O.K.?" He causeously asked after the thunderous applause. He got a positive reply and hereafter Pearl Jam began with first "Corduroy" then "Why Go" and "Do The Evolution" all of which explaining what the Seattle band does best, namely play rockmusic that affect their audience more profoundly/deeper than U2, Coldplay and Ozzy Osbourne combined...

thats it for now- no more time- sorry! charliep sorry for the mistiming on the gaffa review. you can finish this one if you feel like it.
    peas!
  • Options
    Pearl Jam willing to testify in Roskilde lawsuit
    Published 06.27.07 1:13 pm

Pearl Jam would like to show up as witnesses in favour of the relatives to the 2000 Roskilde tragedy if they get permission to bring on an action for damages against the festival.

After Pearl Jam´s concert at the Forum Tuesday evening the band informed that they are ready to testify in favour of the relatives to the 2000 tragedy, where nine persons lost their lives.

The lawyer to the families of four of the deceased stated this when the Eastern High Court Wednesday opened up a case that is going to determine if they can bring action for damages against the festival.

- Tuesday Pearl Jam asked me for a meeting and here they announced that either Eddie Vedder (the leadsinger of the band, red.) or Stone Gossard (rhytm-guitarist, red.) will meet in court as witnesses, lawyer Tyge Trier informed the court.

According to Trier Pearl Jam is so unsatisfied with what they call ”the lack of chains of command” among the security staff of the festival that they want a case that can bring some light to who had the responsibility for the nine deaths of the concert.

The families demand that the festival takes on the responsibility for the tragedy and in addition they ask for a $ 31,000 compensation and $ 13,000 for each of the surviving relatives due to pain and suffering.
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    magdylmagdyl Posts: 86
    hey Kat!
    there is a beautiful review about the show in copenhagen on a Polish website: http://www.nuta.pl/news.html?nid=18315
    my Polish is too poor to translate it correctly, maybe there is some Polish speaking fan here who can help!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. Here's a new one that just came in on a scan too. It says 6 out of 6 stars on it...can anyone translate? xo

Mere end en koncert
    AF ERIK HANSEN
    599 words
    28 June 2007
    Børsen
    Danish

Eddie Vedder i front for et sublimt Pearl Jam i Forum.

Foto: Scanpix

HHHHHH

(Seks af seks stjerner)

Rock

Små 20 minutter inde i koncerten tager Pearl Jam-forsanger Eddie Vedder første gang mikrofonen for at henvende sig til publikum.

»Det er i dag nøjagtig 15 år siden, vi spillede i Danmark første gang,« siger han med en stor portion alvor i stemmen.

»Men det er sidste gang, vi spillede her, vi husker mest. Det vender jeg tilbage til senere. Lige nu vil vi lade musikken tale. Syng med, vi er fælles om dette.«

Det her er en helt speciel koncert. Det var Pearl Jam, der spillede på Roskilde Festivals Orange Scene den ulykkelige og forfærdige lørdag aften i 2000, hvor ni unge mænd meningsløst og ekstremt tragisk blev mast og trampet ihjel. Denne tirsdag aften i Forum er første koncert, et tydeligt påvirket Pearl Jam giver i Danmark siden.

Publikum er det mest emotionelle og tændte, denne anmelder nogensinde har oplevet. Der er en helt speciel og fin stemning af alvor, musikalsk dedikation og en slags kærlighed. En stemning, som manifesterer sig fra det øjeblik Pearl Jam går på scenen, og foreløbigt peaker efter Vedders ovenstående ord og et helt Forum, der synger med på ordene »love is all you need« fra »Loveboat Captain«, og som opfordres igen og igen til at skråle »love« af fuld hals.

Urørlig særstatus

Musikalsk er Seattle-bandet urørlige i det komplet udsolgte Forum. De spiller formidabelt, og Eddie Vedders karakteristiske vokal har konstant nerve. Grunge-ikonernes på en gang klagende og kraftfulde energisk rockende udtryk krammer, rusker og bevæger publikum lige fra den smukke åbning med »Long Road« og samtlige minutter i de to timer og 20 minutter, koncerten varer. Vi får klassikere som »Once« og den smukke »Black« fra det mesterlige debutalbum »Ten« (1991). Uanset, hvad bandet spiller fra de efterfølgende 16 års album, er publikum 100 pct. opmærksomme. Publikum vil Pearl Jam, og Pearl Jam vil publikum.

Da bandet spiller aftenens højdepunkt, gennembrudshittet »Alive«, når stemningen et ekstremt intenst og stærkt niveau. En blanding af eufori, højtidelighed og komplet overgivelse. Herefter går Eddie Vedder til mikrofonen igen.

»Jeg har en tilståelse. Selvom det her ligner en vinflaske, så er det Gatorade (sportsvand, red.),« siger han med flasken i hånden.

»Look, I’ll prove it,« siger han og giver flasken til guitaristen Mike McCready, som er tørlagt alkoholiker.

»Jeg vil være helt klar i hovedet i dag. Det er den største ære at se så mange venner, familiemedlemmer og pårørende blandt publikum til dem, vi savner så meget,« siger Vedder.

Vejen fortsætter

»Nogle folk har sagt til os, at denne koncert ville være god for os og en slutning. Jeg er ikke enig. Den vej, vi er på, slutter ikke. Men vi er igennem de sidste syv år rejst af forskellige veje, og de mødes igen i aften. Efter de syv år, der er gået, er vi alle blevet bedre mennesker, og jeg kan mærke, at noget heler. Mange, mange tak.«

Så sætter bandet i gang med »Better Man/Save It For Later«. Passende og smukt, og igen med den bedste publikumsrespons i verden. Et nummer, der også bliver aftenens sidste, inden bandet vender tilbage, alt lys tænder i salen, og bandet spiller »Rockin’ In the Free World« og slutteligt »Yellow Ledbetter«.

En eminent præstation af Pearl Jam og ikke mindst af publikum. En uforglemmelig oplevelse, der, efter det hele er slut, synker ned i kroppen som meget, meget mere end en koncert.

Pearl Jam, Forum, tirsdag aften.