I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner

Comments

• of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I'll bring some white wine. :mrgreen:

And desserts? mmmm....I'll make some brownies. :mrgreen:
  • sheila0225 wrote:
    I'll bring some white wine. :mrgreen:

And desserts? mmmm....I'll make some brownies. :mrgreen:

Better bake them tomorrow night. I need you bright and early on Thursday :lol:
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    so the menu is set, I think:

Turkey (brined and roasted with spice butter, thanks for the recipe Kyle :D )
    Homemade stuffing (crock pot recipe-saves oven space--holla!!)
    scratch gravy
    mashed potatoes
    green beans with slivered almonds
    roasted cauliflower with pinenuts
    brussel sprouts with bacon and garlic
    carrot/parsnip whip with cheddar cheese
    sweet potatoes (not totally sure on prep style yet)
    cranberry sauce (no canned jellied shit)

plus i have to make special stuffing and rolls for my picky ass little sister :lol:

I think I have my work cut out for me...if buying all the shit and lugging it up to my condo tonight is any indication, this should be great fun :D

thanks everyone for the tips/ideas here and via PM. much appreciated :mrgreen:

That sounds amazing!!! Good luck KP, I'm sure it'll be great! I've only hosted it once and it was a lot of work, but it was also a lot of fun. We're here if you need to unload any leftovers :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    That sounds amazing!!! Good luck KP, I'm sure it'll be great! I've only hosted it once and it was a lot of work, but it was also a lot of fun. We're here if you need to unload any leftovers

Thanks!! I hope it goes well. I am a tad nervous. I am SURE I will have a ton of leftovers. Most of the time my stepmom does thanksgiving and I swear the woman does not believe in vegetables :?

I'm serious. A few years back, we had NO vegetables on the thanksgiving table. WTF??
    Makes much more sense...

2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    got any tricks regarding the brining??? :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Lizard wrote:
    got any tricks regarding the brining??? :D

i got the recipe for the brining from someone here...he's been doing it for over 10 years or something and swears by it. I have never personally tried it. i can send you it if you want though...i would need you to PM me your e-mail addy
    Makes much more sense...

• Good luck to you KP! Sounds like you've got your shit together!!

I'll be hosting my first Thanksgiving this week too. The first time that my family and his family will come together :shock: Should be interesting to say the least. There will certainly be no lack of taboo subjects to talk about during dinner :lol:

Im slightly scared of the bird though. 21.74lbs. Thing is freakin huge! My first time cooking turkey and first time cooking for this many people. I think Im going to just put a bunch of butter under the skin, put it in the oven bag and let it go. Pandora - u mentioned putting the bird upside down, in the bag, on the rack in your pan? I may use that tip. Didn't know I could put it upside down still while in the bag. Im thinking about 5-6hrs cook time, which puts my alarm clock at about 6am :x

Ugh. Im a little stressed to say the least. I took tomorrow off, which should help. But I think I'll be starting my Thanksgiving morning w/ Mimosa's. I'll be wrecked come dinner time :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

I think I'll be starting my Thanksgiving morning w/ Mimosa's. :lol:

That's a mighty damn fine idea you got there. Might have to do so myself. :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    have we discussed wine?

i can't do thanksgiving without it....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    have we discussed wine?

Plenty of wine will be there. red, white, or pink?
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    roasted cauliflower with pinenuts

Yummmm cauliflower.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,471
    i will be over around 2
    www.myspace.com
  • 81 wrote:
    have we discussed wine?

I can't do anything involving family without it ;)

loads of wine, don't you worry.

and juggler-- 2 is perfect. Park behind Shiela. I'm locking her in to help with clean up :)
    Makes much more sense...

81 wrote:
    have we discussed wine?

I can't do anything involving family without it ;)

loads of wine, don't you worry.

and juggler-- 2 is perfect. Park behind Shiela. I'm locking her in to help with clean up :)

As long as there is wine and a couch for me to crash on.... then I am fine. :D Park me in if you want. I don't give a rats ass. :lol::lol::lol:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    will I have to sit at the kiddie's table again?

probably...just don't hog the bench again...and keep your elbows to yourself.

Dibs on a leg!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    it's almost that time again 8-)
  • Yeah it is...
    And I did such a great job last year, I think Im stuck w/ Thanksgiving forever! :lol:

Anyone got a good recipe for cheesy vegetables? Broccoli/Cauliflower/Carrots kinda thing? I took the easy road last year w/ the frozen green giant bags, but I'd like to do it official this year. Looking for a tested recipe thats not too hard to manage.

Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    what do the NFL games look like this year :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    what do the NFL games look like this year :?:

decent lineup:

hou/det
    wash/dal
    ne/jets
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

Anyone got a good recipe for cheesy vegetables? :D

Vegatables and lots of cheese. :fp: :lol:
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Yeah it is...
    And I did such a great job last year, I think Im stuck w/ Thanksgiving forever! :lol:

Anyone got a good recipe for cheesy vegetables? Broccoli/Cauliflower/Carrots kinda thing? I took the easy road last year w/ the frozen green giant bags, but I'd like to do it official this year. Looking for a tested recipe thats not too hard to manage.

Thanks dick :wave: :-P

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DS1119 wrote:
    Yeah it is...

Thanks dick :wave: :-P

There's also a healthy option. Cheese and lots of vegatables. :lol:
  • Yeah it is...

I always just make a simple cheese sauce...

cheese
    milk
    butter
    flour
    salt/pepper

Simple and tasty...

Fresh cauliflower
    Fresh broccoli
    Simple cheese sauce
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Hardly make time for the forums lately...shame on me! Nice to see my thread revived :)

I'm again cooking thanksgiving dinner this year- it was hugely successful last year and I volunteered. There's a twist this year--I'm cooking it at home and transporting it to Dad's house. He'll be having knee replacement surgery a few days later (for the second time-- went through it 10 years ago on both knees and now they have to be re-done :( ) and the 3rd floor walkup isn't too easy to handle.

For-sure Staying on the menu from last year:
    Huge Turkey--brined and roasted with a special spice butter rub (thanks again Kyle!!)
    Stuffing (homemade but in the crockpot!! Sounds weird, but it's amazing and saves oven space)
    Carrot n parsnip whip
    Mashed potatoes
    Roasted cauliflower
    Green beans n almonds

Definitely New menu appearances:
    Mac n cheese w/bacon
    Sweet potatoe casserole with the marshmallows (by request...)

Everything else is undecided as of the moment-

What I do know is that I have a lot to be thankful for this year- including my thanksgiving sous chef/favorite person in the world who migrated here in March from Texas. The very best thing the Pearl Jam world has brought me in the past year and I'm so very grateful. Hard to believe its been just shy of a year since he came into my life. <3

Veggies with cheese- no cheese sauce is really simple to make if you're doing it from scratch (but that's the best way!) if you go that route, I suggest including some fontina or gruyere. If you're not going to go to the bother with scratch sauce, many people like velveeta (but that's not really cheese)

Anyone wanna recipe swap again this year?

Good luck!
    Makes much more sense...

Hardly make time for the forums lately...shame on me! Nice to see my thread revived :)

I'm again cooking thanksgiving dinner this year- it was hugely successful last year and I volunteered. There's a twist this year--I'm cooking it at home and transporting it to Dad's house. He'll be having knee replacement surgery a few days later (for the second time-- went through it 10 years ago on both knees and now they have to be re-done :( ) and the 3rd floor walkup isn't too easy to handle.

Huge Turkey--brined and roasted with a special spice butter rub (thanks again Kyle!!)
    Stuffing (homemade but in the crockpot!! Sounds weird, but it's amazing and saves oven space)
    Carrot n parsnip whip
    Mashed potatoes
    Roasted cauliflower
    Green beans n almonds

Mac n cheese w/bacon

What I do know is that I have a lot to be thankful for this year- including my thanksgiving sous chef/favorite person in the world who migrated here in March from Texas. The very best thing the Pearl Jam world has brought me in the past year and I'm so very grateful. Hard to believe its been just shy of a year since he came into my life. <3

Veggies with cheese- no cheese sauce is really simple to make if you're doing it from scratch (but that's the best way!) if you go that route, I suggest including some fontina or gruyere. If you're not going to go to the bother with scratch sauce, many people like velveeta (but that's not really cheese)

Good luck!

YES!!! I need a few new recipes to throw in the mix.

What's this brine you speak of?

And stuffing in a crockpot....I did that last year and it was amazing!!! Definitely saved oven space but did not get the toasted top like in an oven. But none the less, still tasty as ever!! My stuffing was one thing I did everything from scratch. Including the seasoned bread crumbs. :mrgreen:
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Less than 30 days away WHOOO HOOO
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Hardly make time for the forums lately...shame on me! Nice to see my thread revived :)

Carrot n parsnip whip
    Mashed potatoes
    Roasted cauliflower
    Green beans n almonds

Mac n cheese w/bacon

Good luck!

And stuffing in a crockpot....I did that last year and it was amazing!!! Definitely saved oven space but did not get the toasted top like in an oven. But none the less, still tasty as ever!! My stuffing was one thing I did everything from scratch. Including the seasoned bread crumbs. :mrgreen:

Totally agree- stuffing has to be home made start-finish! I did it last year with a mix of sourdough and Italian bread that I cubed/ left out/toasted up/seasoned n turned into stuffing :) it was awesome! I didn't miss the crusty stuffing top, but I'm told it can be replicated with crockpot stuffing with the right technique....haven't tried to though.

The brine and accompanying spice butter rub was a-freakin-mazing! Best turkey I ever had--and the family all loved it too. So juicy and flavorful! it's a recipe I got from Kyle (Halifax2TheMax) and I think he got it from Martha Stewart. I give all the credit to Kyle though :)
    I have it typed up somewhere and can share it with you if you're interested. Looks overwhelming at first but it's not so bad- and TOTALLY worth it!
    Makes much more sense...

Hardly make time for the forums lately...shame on me! Nice to see my thread revived :)

Carrot n parsnip whip
    Mashed potatoes
    Roasted cauliflower
    Green beans n almonds

Mac n cheese w/bacon

Good luck!

that menu looks fucking great. do you have room for one more at the table by any chance? :lol:

Carrot n parsnip whip
    Mashed potatoes
    Roasted cauliflower
    Green beans n almonds

Mac n cheese w/bacon

Good luck!

Totally agree- stuffing has to be home made start-finish! I did it last year with a mix of sourdough and Italian bread that I cubed/ left out/toasted up/seasoned n turned into stuffing :) it was awesome! I didn't miss the crusty stuffing top, but I'm told it can be replicated with crockpot stuffing with the right technique....haven't tried to though.

The brine and accompanying spice butter rub was a-freakin-mazing! Best turkey I ever had--and the family all loved it too. So juicy and flavorful! it's a recipe I got from Kyle (Halifax2TheMax) and I think he got it from Martha Stewart. I give all the credit to Kyle though :)
    I have it typed up somewhere and can share it with you if you're interested. Looks overwhelming at first but it's not so bad- and TOTALLY worth it!

When you find it....if you can pass it along that would be fabulous!!

I'm trying a new recipe for stuffing this year, but again it will be start to finish from scratch in the crockpot :)

Also, trying a new butternut squash concoction.

Oh I can't wait to cook this feast. It's making me hungry just thinking about it. :fp:

Carrot n parsnip whip
    Mashed potatoes
    Roasted cauliflower
    Green beans n almonds

Mac n cheese w/bacon

Good luck!

Ummm, Kelly, are you sure your secret recipe shennanigans weren't responsible for the tendernest. Kelly?

I do recommend making the brine and spice butter well in advance as it makes it that much easier. And if you're brave, make the gravey according to the recipie. It all comes together for a very tasty meal if I do say so myself.

But do PM Kelly for the secret recipe details to make it as tender as it can be! I'm sure she'll share!

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©