Options

Hoarders taking over PJ items

Dukes10Dukes10 Posts: 58
edited October 2011 in Lost Dogs
It seems like there are alot of people lately that are just trying to collect stuff to say they have it or buying to resell the items. Seems like people are becoming hoarders instead of enjoying the products. Why does one want every album..only to never listen to them??? The items and music are there to be purchased and enjoyed. Why get a poster to a show you were not at?? What memories does it hold for you. The reason this band started putting out bootlegs is because people were charging $50+ for poor quality bootlegs. Do they have to stop producing the posters so knuckleheads stop buying them all up and flip them on e-bay. Go suck the blood from someother band to make your $$.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    movaughnmovaughn Posts: 1,293
    I don't have all albums (yet) but do listen to them all. Everything I have which isn't much is displayed except posters I did not frame yet.
    Alpine Valley - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley - Oct 08, 2000, Alpine Valley - Jun 21, 2003
    United Center - May 16, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006
    Alpine Valley - Sep 03, 2011, Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Wrigley Field - August 20, 2016, Wrigley Field - August 22, 2016
  • Options
    i hear you..at the buffalo show in 2010 i saw a dude with 5 posters. I only get the shows I goto, and I display them. I was so glad to see that poster in the goods section!
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    I don't get the whole "buy albums sealed" thing. I have a friend who collects Star Wars crap, and insists that they remain unopened. Seems dumb to me, but that's not my thing.

I do, however, collect posters to shows I was not at. I started with the mantra that I would only collect ones to the shows I was at. Then I started checking out the other ones and realized there are some really gorgeous prints out there.

So I collect them as art. I do not flip. There are a few I have that I would use as trade material to get other ones I want, but I don't buy them at a show to flip them.

I do not have all posters framed. Many are in my portfolio. That doesn't make them any less valuable to me. I still occasionally look at them. I just don't have the wallspace for hanging every one. Perhaps some day.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    I agree with the basic premise, but then it seemed you went off the rail.

I own every Pearl Jam CD along with a number of bootlegs. As a matter of fact, my entire CD collection is up to about 500 CD's right now (I'll admit I have no exact idea, but it's a lot) - and that's after collecting and since discarding over 300 casettes - so I've only been buying CD's for about 20 years. Some of them I haven't listened to in a while. But, so what? I guess I could give them away. But, I can't possibly listen to that many cd's, so why have them all? Well, I assume at 1 time I thought I might enjoy them, so I bought them. And I have rediscovered CDs after years of not listening to them. But, I can guarantee you, I have every CD from my 10 or so favorite artists, of which PJ is probably the newest (ha, ha). Hell, some of my favorites were from before I was born, yet somehow I managed to collect every one of their CD's.

And, who cares what folks do with them?

As for the posters, I'm sure some is because they like the artwork. I agree, I wouldn't get one for a show I wasn't at (I have very few of those even). But, I'll admit, I've seen a few cool ones that I was tempted on. But, again - why do you care?

Folks collect stamps - what's the point of that? Most of them you wouldn't be able to mail a letter with. ;)

I'm just not understanding your conclusion. Yes, folks are hoarders (of all sorts of things). But, so what?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    But, so what?

He missed out something he wanted it and/or from a show he attended, and he's mad at guys who collect PJ stuff :|
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Hoard them? Is that not the same as collecting? I would have thought so. Multiples of posters is unfair and unopened vinyl is just pointless other than to be trade bait but they've paid for it and it's theirs. Tough but that's the game.
  • Options
    PRSNT10SPRSNT10S Posts: 206
    edited October 2011
    I'm mad at myself for buying so many $13 beers, I could've used that $$ to buy the Deluxe Blu-Ray DVD's, but hey, I had a hell of a (great) time at PJ20! All 3 posters still unframed... DAMN YOU BEER!!! :mrgreen:
    Post edited by PRSNT10S on
    Your words help me heal
    Redigested past regrets
    I see things clearer
  • Options
    JMoJMo Posts: 1,071
    If I ever want to feel better about myself, I'll Netflix the show Hoarders.

Hopefully there isn't mouse poop all over the stuff you guys are hoarding, hoarders!
  • Options
    White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,812
    If anyone has any Faithful Ale to share with me here in Dallas I promise it will get drank!!!! :-)
  • Options
    BergfallBergfall Posts: 115
    Boarders making overt PJ totems
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,683
    Dukes10 wrote:
    It seems like there are alot of people lately that are just trying to collect stuff to say they have it or buying to resell the items. Seems like people are becoming hoarders instead of enjoying the products. Why does one want every album..only to never listen to them??? The items and music are there to be purchased and enjoyed. Why get a poster to a show you were not at?? What memories does it hold for you. The reason this band started putting out bootlegs is because people were charging $50+ for poor quality bootlegs. Do they have to stop producing the posters so knuckleheads stop buying them all up and flip them on e-bay. Go suck the blood from someother band to make your $$.

I hate flippers as well.

While I don't consider myself a 'hoarder' by any means.. there are items that I simply 'like' having.

I don't know how many times.. if ever I will listen to Yeild or Riot Act on vinyl.. but I do enjoy having them.

As for the posters.... some posters are just too cool! :) I have the Calgary 2005 poster because it's got a freaking old school hockey goalie on it! But I was never at that particular show.

So I agree with half of what the OP is sayin :)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,683
    BK144862 wrote:
    I'm mad at myself for buying so many $13 beers, I could've used that $$ to buy the Deluxe Blu-Ray DVD's, but hey, I had a hell of a (great) time at PJ20! All 3 posters still unframed... DAMN YOU BEER!!! :mrgreen:

I feel like I'm getting kicked in the groin every time I'm stuck with having to pay $10-$14 a beer at arenas and venues. Ridiculous mark up.

Which is why I give props to the States for their tailgating.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,728
    why buy a poster to a show you werent at?

are you for real?

Moronic comment.

people like the art. it really is that simple. People like to display them on their walls....like you would a photo of say new york even if you dont live there. Not everyone flips things.
  • Options
    love-boat-captainlove-boat-captain Essex. UK Posts: 476
    I have a lot of stuff collected over the years. Never really started out as a collector but just bought the singles and albums as they came out then slowly started to become a collection I love, enjoy and am proud of. I only buy things I like and not every single thing they release like backpacks or water bottles that I no interest in, but some people do so each to there own.
    As far as posters go, my original rule since buying my first print in 1996 at wembley, was to purchase prints to shows I attend. This is what I have done apart from a select few which me and the wife decided to but because we liked the print and they suited being formed in our house where as some of the prints to shows I've been to aren't nice enough to put up iny opinion even though they have nostalgia.

I for one have never flipped anything. I get it cause I want it, the people who buy stuff just to throw on eBay are certainly annoying, but what can you do?

I play all my CD's and spiny vinyl, but if people want to leave it sealed then that's up to them, doesn't bother me.
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    There's a big difference between a collector and a hoarder. I wouldn't use those terms interchangeably. Don't think I've seen anyone with PJ memorabilia on an episode of Hoarders yet :mrgreen:

Also, not everyone who buys posters for shows they were not at are flipping them. I like buying pretty things. Some of these pretty things happen to be posters of shows I was not at.
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    A collector knows the value of their items while a hoarder is compelled to buy out of therepeutic measure. Often times collectors buy as investment pieces for the future, not unlike stocks. That memorabilia is driven by the market and with Pearl Jam specifically, their tours.

I once saw an episode of some show on HGTV or what have you where the couple being helped with a remodel were asked to gather things to keep, donate, or put in a garage sale.

One of those items the wife wanted out of the house for the garage sale was a framed Maui '98 poster.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    One of those items the wife wanted out of the house for the garage sale was a framed Maui '98 poster.

:shock: What ended up happening?
  • Options
    LOL - not me. I am decluttering my life right now. Getting rid of everything I can. I don't need "stuff" anymore and it is actually kind of cathartic to let it all go. Packaging it up and sending it off is kind of like weight off my shoudlers. Still have a lot to get rid of.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    LOL - not me. I am decluttering my life right now. Getting rid of everything I can. I don't need "stuff" anymore and it is actually kind of cathartic to let it all go. Packaging it up and sending it off is kind of like weight off my shoudlers. Still have a lot to get rid of.

I can relate to this.

I have 'things', but have found that I don't need to carry EVERYTHING with me. Not a hoarder, but a collector, and as someone said earlier, there is a big difference.
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    pdalowsky wrote:

are you for real?

Moronic comment.

people like the art. it really is that simple. People like to display them on their walls....like you would a photo of say new york even if you dont live there. Not everyone flips things.

Agree....just because people buy things doesn't automatically make them hoarders or flippers.

I own lots of posters for shows I didn't go to b/c I liked the art, or the date was significant to me, or just b/c I had too much money to waste at that time. Almost all of made it to being framed and on my walls, or I've tried to trade "buyers regret" posters or items with people from here for cost.

Blanket statements rarely work for people since we all are motivated to collect by different things.
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    Suziemay wrote:

:shock: What ended up happening?

It wound up outside in the lawn. I don't know if it sold but they weren't asking much for it I bet. I think this was back when the poster was going for near $1000, too.
  • Options
    JMo wrote:
    moemoe6434 wrote:

I can relate to this.

I have 'things', but have found that I don't need to carry EVERYTHING with me. Not a hoarder, but a collector, and as someone said earlier, there is a big difference.

Is there really that much of a difference? You call yourself a collector, I'm sure you wife calls you a hoarder. It's all perspective. Hoarder has a bad conotation, so we don't want it assigned to us. But, hoarding does not mean you've had your house overrun with stuff like the show. That's extreme. But, I have to admit, if someone wanted to call me a CD hoarder, I can't really say no. Yes, they're all neatly put away. But, I can see how someone objective would have that perspective. Why the hell do I need 50 PJ Bootlegs? I love them. I listen to all of them on occassion. But, I see why folks chuckle when they see/hear that (and I'm a novice. I wish they could see your folks' "collections."). I think it's collecting. They think it's hoarding. Who am I to say?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    JMo wrote:
    moemoe6434 wrote:

I can relate to this.

Is there really that much of a difference? You call yourself a collector, I'm sure you wife calls you a hoarder. It's all perspective. Hoarder has a bad conotation, so we don't want it assigned to us. But, hoarding does not mean you've had your house overrun with stuff like the show. That's extreme. But, I have to admit, if someone wanted to call me a CD hoarder, I can't really say no. Yes, they're all neatly put away. But, I can see how someone objective would have that perspective. Why the hell do I need 50 PJ Bootlegs? I love them. I listen to all of them on occassion. But, I see why folks chuckle when they see/hear that (and I'm a novice. I wish they could see your folks' "collections."). I think it's collecting. They think it's hoarding. Who am I to say?

Well, maybe I'm slightly different than others. I collect PJ stuff. I play all of the records I have. I buy shirts in my size and wear them. I frame the posters I own. I don't have several of each, except for some stickers. People on the outside may think my collection is an obsession, but I'm sure they wouldn't call it hoarding.

I joked when referring to the tv show. Yes, that's extreme. Hoarders are not flippers, because they would never get rid of it.

I'm a collector and I just got rid of the backpack, white backspacer and TONS of other collectible posters. Nobody told me to get rid of that stuff.
  • Options
    White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,812
    Well if you happen to run across an Emek 96' pj Charlotte print I'm your guy. Best of luck with the decluttering.

moemoe6434 wrote:
  • Options
    Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    what are you getting rid of i might be able to help
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Dukes10 wrote:

I totally agree with you, I understand how you feel. I didn't have the chance to buy Benaroya and Into the wild at the time, it was a matter of time more than money, someone got it before and when I tried to buy one for myself they were all gone. That's why I had to pay 104 USD for Into the wild on eBay, it was used, VG, but I cannot afford a sealed one. And Benaroya is way out of my reach, but I have the intention of having a copy one day.

However, there is a difference between a hoarder and a collector, being the latter those who want to get stuff from concerts they haven't been to, "I didn't get the chance to go to that concert, at least I may get one of those cool posters". What's the trouble with that? The problem is we cannot tell a hoarder or a collector from one another, and collectors gather stuff in order to trade them later as well. The big issue with hoarders is that they have the time and the money to get stuff to sell that stuff later, at very high prices, and they don't consider other fans who would like to have for themselves. That is why I regarded Santos' decision of cancelling White Backspacer multiple orders accurate.

I bought a copy of White Backspacer for myself. I know they are selling at very high prices, I know a guy from Portugal who is selling one for 695 GBP on the bay, so in time of need I can do that, but it is absolutely not the reason why I purchased that. I am a PJ fan, I like that album, I have that one on vinyl already, as well as on CD, Ten Club and European Edition, and I thought that a white vinyl would be a nice item to have, so why not? And being aware of all the trouble caused to people who didn't get his or hers, I am more reluctanct to sell mine in the future.

Pearl Jam only played twice in Buenos Aires, back in 2005. I haven't seen many posters, I don't think they were from the band, and the ones I saw I didn't like them so I didn't buy any. But there were many Ten Club t-shirts and they were awful, not only the disign but also the colours, so I didn't buy any either. I only purchased a tee once, back in 1998, the one with the Yield sign, until now, that I bought the PJ20, the Monkeywrench and the Zombie. In all those years I didn't like any of the tees available, in fact, I didn't like the Matt Cameron drum kick tee either, so... you get my point already?

To round it up, I understand what you feel about this, we may consider it to be unfair, but we cannot judge or tell them what to do, it is not up to us, as someone said before, that is how the game is, and you gain nothing being mad a those hoarders.
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    moemoe6434 wrote:

I am interested in a copy of RVM vinyl... do you have a spare one?

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    pdalowsky wrote:

are you for real?

Moronic comment.

+1.

The 6 posters I own I've not attended any of the shows but I got them because I like the art. The 6 shows I've actually been too, I don't have any of the posters and thats because I didn't like them. The only one I regret not getting is Wembley 2007. I need that poster!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    movaughnmovaughn Posts: 1,293
    moemoe6434 wrote:

He had another post where he stated that all his vinyl went on eBay starting at 99 cents. Not sure if the auctions are over. You can look for his sealed vinyl under thagodfather or something like that.
    Alpine Valley - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley - Oct 08, 2000, Alpine Valley - Jun 21, 2003
    United Center - May 16, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006
    Alpine Valley - Sep 03, 2011, Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Wrigley Field - August 20, 2016, Wrigley Field - August 22, 2016
  • Options
    movaughn wrote:
    moemoe6434 wrote:

He had another post where he stated that all his vinyl went on eBay starting at 99 cents. Not sure if the auctions are over. You can look for his sealed vinyl under thagodfather or something like that.

thanks for the tip, I believe that username rings the bell, I am following a couple of RVM, I am going to look for some more... I was bidding on a used one, but I was outbidded and I couldn't afford it then... I hate the credit card limit system... anyway... thanks all the same...