Options

Miffed about the Super Box Set

13»

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    drsluggo wrote:
    81 wrote:

i feel bad for them....it's like no matter what they do, they lose.
    I dunno... if I could clear $75K in sales in a night by adding a free CD and a chance at an autograph I wouldn't let the other stuff get to me too much. :)

that's fair a statement...

it just seems like everytime somethng goes on sale, this place goes to shit....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,166
    Even with free shipping and Vaults CD, it's not worth the price.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    edited October 2011
    mfc2006 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I want the free Snuggie

a PJ snuggie?? HELL YES!! :twisted: :D

I've wanted never a snuggie but when I miss out on this I'm gonna be pissed, and I'll have a thread to prove it!
    Post edited by jshin on
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    81 wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:
    81 wrote:

i feel bad for them....it's like no matter what they do, they lose.
    I dunno... if I could clear $75K in sales in a night by adding a free CD and a chance at an autograph I wouldn't let the other stuff get to me too much. :)

that's fair a statement...

it just seems like everytime somethng goes on sale, this place goes to shit....
    Yeah it does... sometimes its fair and sometimes its not, but everytime there are people screaming at each other.

That said... I'd rather have a problem of selling so much stuff so fast that people are left wanting more. We all know they read the posts, but they seem to distance themselves from it so Im sure they're all doing just fine and getting a lot of stuff in and out.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    bicyclejoe wrote:

that's not reallyfair. it's worth it to those that bought t. I consider it worth t and i've gotta pay $70 shipping plus probably another $60 for customs when it gets here..

its a beauty though so i gotta have it.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    bicyclejoe wrote:

being a cubs fan, i have to question your valuation method
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    As someone who bought the initial offering, I could care less what they offer after the fact.

The price was laid out there. I considered it to be worth it for the money and I pulled the trigger.
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    I don't really have an issue with this, assuming Vault #1 is eventually sold separately as was indicated some time ago. I bought the set when it came out and am happy with it. Right now they are just using it as a means to move some of their stock since this baby is a huge one to store on the shelves.

That said, if they choose not to sell Vault #1 later I'd be a little disappointed for the inconsistency. We're basically being told lately that if you don't buy something immediately you may not be able to get it. But for this one if you bought it immediately, you lose the opportunity to get a small bonus item unless you want to buy the entire package again.

So for the next product, do I wait, or buy immediately. It would be nice to at least know.
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    SPiNMeRouND_RoLLMeOVeRSPiNMeRouND_RoLLMeOVeR Washington D.C. Posts: 34
    Just sent an email to the Ten Club regarding the Moore Theater show (I'm willing to pay for it). I understand incentives, but I also was a little pissed considering that the email from Ten Club says, "This special offer is open to all fans, however we wanted our dedicated members to hear it first!" when most of the dedicated fans (like myself) pre-ordered the box set in March.

Also, as a long-time member of the Ten Club I expect that my paid membership would include the best prices on all new Pearl Jam products. How is the PJ20 book $34.99 through the PJ website but $18.40 (new) on Amazon? I don't remember ever having this issue with Ten Club in the past. Anybody else see a problem with this?
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Also, as a long-time member of the Ten Club I expect that my paid membership would include the best prices on all new Pearl Jam products. How is the PJ20 book $34.99 through the PJ website but $18.40 (new) on Amazon? I don't remember ever having this issue with Ten Club in the past. Anybody else see a problem with this?

no, I don't see a problem with this pricing system.

On the Sirius show, Santos explained why Amazon can offer a lower price and free shipping. Amazon has a distribution center in each of the 8 UPS shipping zones. Amazon is large enough to be able to buy massive quantities of the book, and thus can get a better deal (bulk discount) than a small single 10c warehouse. That equals out to lower/free shipping prices, and lower prices on products. Same deal with Best Buy, there are hundreds of BB out in the US, and they can offer lower prices.

Try and find the Vault #1 CD at Amazon, or Best Buy when 10c finally releases it. (It has been said by Tim B that 10c WILL release it, they just don't have a firm release date yet)

I bought the PJ20 book at Costco for $22 and didn't pay shipping.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:

no, I don't see a problem with this pricing system.

On the Sirius show, Santos explained why Amazon can offer a lower price and free shipping. Amazon has a distribution center in each of the 8 UPS shipping zones. Amazon is large enough to be able to buy massive quantities of the book, and thus can get a better deal (bulk discount) than a small single 10c warehouse. That equals out to lower/free shipping prices, and lower prices on products. Same deal with Best Buy, there are hundreds of BB out in the US, and they can offer lower prices.

Try and find the Vault #1 CD at Amazon, or Best Buy when 10c finally releases it. (It has been said by Tim B that 10c WILL release it, they just don't have a firm release date yet)

I bought the PJ20 book at Costco for $22 and didn't pay shipping.

That may be a valid excuse for not being as cheap as Amazon. But it's not an excuse for still being one of the most expensive places to buy the book online or in stores.
  • Options

That may be a valid excuse for not being as cheap as Amazon. But it's not an excuse for still being one of the most expensive places to buy the book online or in stores.

Honestly, the last time I went to a bookstore to buy a book (Barnes and Noble/Borders) I used a coupon, because most of the time, the bookstores still charge full publisher's price for books. Most likely that is the reason why they are going out of business...'you can get it cheaper on Amazon'. Unless you go to a discount chain, you are still going to pay full price.

10c does not have the resources like bigger chains to offer discounts, they are NOT a 'designated sole media re-seller', they are a FANCLUB number one. It is their choice to sell products and goods. They decide to set the price, if you don't like the price, you can buy it elsewhere. We're LUCKY that they offer the products that they do.

Can you buy a 10c hoodie at Costco? Can you buy it at Amazon? I can get a $15 hoodie at Costco and sew on a PJ20 patch, ta-dah! I have a PJ20 hoodie.

I can buy Jason Leung's book on Amazon for $22...but why would I do that when I can go to a pre-party and get it for $20?

Everything has an upside and a downside, nobody will ever be happy with everything. It's life.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:

Honestly, the last time I went to a bookstore to buy a book (Barnes and Noble/Borders) I used a coupon, because most of the time, the bookstores still charge full publisher's price for books. Most likely that is the reason why they are going out of business...'you can get it cheaper on Amazon'. Unless you go to a discount chain, you are still going to pay full price.

10c does not have the resources like bigger chains to offer discounts, they are NOT a 'designated sole media re-seller', they are a FANCLUB number one. It is their choice to sell products and goods. They decide to set the price, if you don't like the price, you can buy it elsewhere. We're LUCKY that they offer the products that they do.

Can you buy a 10c hoodie at Costco? Can you buy it at Amazon? I can get a $15 hoodie at Costco and sew on a PJ20 patch, ta-dah! I have a PJ20 hoodie.

I can buy Jason Leung's book on Amazon for $22...but why would I do that when I can go to a pre-party and get it for $20?

Everything has an upside and a downside, nobody will ever be happy with everything. It's life.

I can understand your points on buying say a 10c hoodie. That's one of the good aspects of the club - exclusive merch. But I still can't see a $15+ difference between the club's price and Amazon. I'm obviously not comparing the two in business sales/size but the club still gets our membership fees each year. And yet we never see any discounts/special member prices on stuff like the book. Plenty of other fan clubs do it. Why not 10c? (not directed at you by the way. More of a rhetorical Q)
  • Options
    I can understand your points on buying say a 10c hoodie. That's one of the good aspects of the club - exclusive merch. But I still can't see a $15+ difference between the club's price and Amazon. I'm obviously not comparing the two in business sales/size but the club still gets our membership fees each year. And yet we never see any discounts/special member prices on stuff like the book. Plenty of other fan clubs do it. Why not 10c? (not directed at you by the way. More of a rhetorical Q)

They have offered discounts...last year in September, they gave 20% off (hoodies and shirts I believe)
    then in November, they gave 20% off the Live on Ten Legs albums.

Also at that time, they put up Mystery Grab bags for $10...which were really popular. I really liked that everybody helped each other out, and traded stuff they wanted that other people got...I don't remember very much complaining.

There were other surprises last year...I'm just looking thru my purchase history. I only have to say that it does suck that it seems you have to 'live' on the site to take advantage of the 'specials' they had. I missed out on the mystery vinyl single sale (last year), and the backpack.

I'm still hoping for a 20% off goods coupon next month....for 10c members only, of course!

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,415
    Right on. I agree...wheres the free CD!
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I understand what people are saying... and understand why they are upset. But, I look at it the same way I look at cable and phone providers who always offer up these introductory packages to new customers... when, I'm an existing customer.
    I would sweeten up the deal to move out stagnant inventory... wouldn't you?
    Then again... I don't feel the need to own everything Pearl Jam. I already have a bunch of their stuff I've accumulated over the years. I really don't need another CD I'm going to listen to once or twice.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    It is not only about the money, which I may have or not, it is not about the CD extra, or the signatures, not even free or half price shipping, it is about fairyness and respect...

I don't mind Ten Club trying to get new members or increase their profit, as someone said in the other thread, the vault 1 cd is only six weeks old, they didn't knew what would come out of it, but it would be nice for all pearl jam fans to get a chance to get one copy, either buying or for free... giving the chance to get a signed copy and a cd extra is a good way to entice fans on buying items or getting signed into the Ten Club, but don't neglect those fans who purchased the box set in march of before, especially those who are non us or canada residents and have to pay extra shipping costs, vat and customs taxes...

When I pre ordered the box set I had to pay 15 USD extra because I am not a US resident, it wasn't much, but why? I paid more for the PJ20 book and more to ship it, but I bought it from the Ten Club not only because I trust them more than Amazon, but also because the money goes to the Ten Club, and maybe the band...

So people who are disappointed about this issue are entitled to feel that way, look who are the ones complaining about it, they are the ones who have it more difficult to get benefit and make a bigger effort to pay for vinyl, merch, tix, stuff, and still their support to the band remain intact...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    It is not only about the money, which I may have or not, it is not about the CD extra, or the signatures, not even free or half price shipping, it is about fairyness and respect...

I don't mind Ten Club trying to get new members or increase their profit, as someone said in the other thread, the vault 1 cd is only six weeks old, they didn't knew what would come out of it, but it would be nice for all pearl jam fans to get a chance to get one copy, either buying or for free... giving the chance to get a signed copy and a cd extra is a good way to entice fans on buying items or getting signed into the Ten Club, but don't neglect those fans who purchased the box set in march of before, especially those who are non us or canada residents and have to pay extra shipping costs, vat and customs taxes...

When I pre ordered the box set I had to pay 15 USD extra because I am not a US resident, it wasn't much, but why? I paid more for the PJ20 book and more to ship it, but I bought it from the Ten Club not only because I trust them more than Amazon, but also because the money goes to the Ten Club, and maybe the band...

So people who are disappointed about this issue are entitled to feel that way, look who are the ones complaining about it, they are the ones who have it more difficult to get benefit and make a bigger effort to pay for vinyl, merch, tix, stuff, and still their support to the band remain intact...

I guess. It just gets REALLY, REALLY, REALLY OLD when the second anything is announced - be it a show, a tour, a DVD, a shirt, ANYTHING - someone, somewhere finds a reason to complain. If people who bought the box set early are so pissed off that they didn't get the Vault #1 CD, couldn't you make the same complaint about people who got to go to PJ20 and got the CD? Why should those people get the CD and not others? I don't know! 10c made a decision! I was able to go to PJ20 and get the CD too. Someone else made the choice to buy the box set later and now got the CD. So remind me again why your buying the box set early generates some entitlements to PJ products? Because you were more eager for the new set than everyone else? They're obviously trying to move the box sets, so they threw in some items. That kind of stuff happens all the time, every day. Its an enticement for buyers to make purchases and sorry to say, the enticement when the box sets were first announced were the box sets. Now, after the demand has dropped, they add something extra.

If people are this upset that they can't have a Vault CD (1) that will probably be released through 10c anyway, and (2) really isn't all that great to begin with (just sayin'...), then people really need to get another hobby. Its just a CD. Its just a DVD. Its just a t-shirt. I LOVE Pearl Jam...I really, really do. But get a life people. You can't live and die with everything a band's fan club does or doesn't do. Some day, we all will have to face a cold hard reality when our favorite band isn't making music or touring anymore and you better hope and pray that you've got something else to do, because bitching about the release of some PJ-related product won't be an option and for some of you, I fear what you'll do with all that time on your hands.

Sheesh.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options

this "we support the band" shit is crap. sorry to be so blunt, but it's not like you are sending them donations. you are buying stuff YOU WANT. you're not buying anything you don't want. which makes your entitlement issue null and void.

I missed out on Benaroya Hall on vinyl. Do you see me sitting here bitching and complaining that I never got one? NOPE. I'll probably never own it. Simple as that. Is it the band's fault for not making more for the demand? Nope. I could have bought one, but at the time I couldn't afford it, so I didn't do it.

This bonus cd is going to be for sale in the club at some point. At which point you'll feel pretty silly and we'll all expect a retraction of this nonsense.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    I guess. It just gets REALLY, REALLY, REALLY OLD when the second anything is announced - be it a show, a tour, a DVD, a shirt, ANYTHING - someone, somewhere finds a reason to complain. If people who bought the box set early are so pissed off that they didn't get the Vault #1 CD, couldn't you make the same complaint about people who got to go to PJ20 and got the CD? Why should those people get the CD and not others? I don't know! 10c made a decision! I was able to go to PJ20 and get the CD too. Someone else made the choice to buy the box set later and now got the CD. So remind me again why your buying the box set early generates some entitlements to PJ products? Because you were more eager for the new set than everyone else? They're obviously trying to move the box sets, so they threw in some items. That kind of stuff happens all the time, every day. Its an enticement for buyers to make purchases and sorry to say, the enticement when the box sets were first announced were the box sets. Now, after the demand has dropped, they add something extra.

If people are this upset that they can't have a Vault CD (1) that will probably be released through 10c anyway, and (2) really isn't all that great to begin with (just sayin'...), then people really need to get another hobby. Its just a CD. Its just a DVD. Its just a t-shirt. I LOVE Pearl Jam...I really, really do. But get a life people. You can't live and die with everything a band's fan club does or doesn't do. Some day, we all will have to face a cold hard reality when our favorite band isn't making music or touring anymore and you better hope and pray that you've got something else to do, because bitching about the release of some PJ-related product won't be an option and for some of you, I fear what you'll do with all that time on your hands.

Sheesh.

:clap:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014