Slaughter in Ohio. What say you?

mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,943
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This prob belongs on AMT. whatever.....

http://www.dispatch.com/

One monkey remains on the loose in Muskingum County

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 03:52 PM

Authorities say that in all, 56 exotic animals escaped from a farm in Muskingum County last night, and two were still missing this afternoon. Of those animals, 49 were killed. Six were captured alive and taken to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, and a monkey and a grey wolf were at large. The dead animals included 18 tigers, nine male lions, eight female lions, six black bears, three mountain lions, two grizzly bears, one baboon and two wolves. The owner of the farm, Terry Thompson, was found dead last night on his property. Authorities say Thompson opened the cage doors and cut the wires on the cages, then killed himself.

Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz this morning defended the shooting of dangerous animals that had escaped from an exotic-animal farm after its owner apparently freed them late yesterday and then killed himself.

Lutz said that when deputies arrived at the house, there were large animals trying to escape. The deputies had to shoot them with their sidearms.

"We are not talking about your normal everyday house cat," he said at a news conference. "We could not have animals running loose in this county."

"Public safety was my No. 1 concern," Lutz said. "I gave the order that if the animals looked like they were going to get out, they were going down."

One tiger was shot with a tranquilizer in a bid to capture it, but "it went crazy" and started to flee, so it was shot, the sheriff said.

Jack Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, said this morning that the situation was "like Noah's ark wrecked."

He defended the deputies shooting the animals.

Lutz said Muskingum County deputies had fatally shot and killed at least 25 animals when they first drove to the property. A wolf and bear also reportedly were killed along I-70.

He said that officials from the Columbus Zoo and The Wilds came in shortly after the discovery with tranquilizer guns, hoping to capture some animals alive.

The darkness, rain, and potential danger contributed to the law-enforcement decision to shoot the animals.

“It was a very unstable situation, and we were unable to tranquilize any of the animals,” said Gwen Myers, an associate veterinarian at the zoo. “There are lots of dynamics here in play.”

Tranquilizing large animals in controlled settings is hard enough, she said. In this case, experts faced not only an uncontrolled environment but did not have even basic information on the animals, such as how much they weighed or when they last ate.

“There were way too many challenges, especially last night,” she said.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I was listening to this on channel 3 news. :shock:

I can't believe his farm is about an hour away from me. The man kills himself and then lets all those animals loose. How crazy.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    49 dead in ohio
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,432
    i'm sure the animal groups will be outraged but the public was in danger. they had to be taken down as they were. i have no problem with it.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    had to be done....can't risk a human life
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,943
    81 wrote:
    49 dead in ohio
    that could have bneen stopped waaaaay back in April. Thanks Gov Kasich.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    can't risk a human life

Anthony%20Sowell.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    can't risk a human life

Anthony%20Sowell.jpg

don't know who that is
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I really dont like cops...but cant blame them i.m.o., I hope that fuck head who killed himself burns in hell.
    81 wrote:
    can't risk a human life

Anthony%20Sowell.jpg

don't know who that is
    thats the guy the cleveland police allowed to "operate" in killing 11 women. A few AFTER a woman had escaped and went to the cops about him.

shame about the dude in the mug shot....fucked up

how does a man have all these animals ?? 20 tigers...20 lions/// wtf? how is this possible
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

how does a man have all these animals ?? 20 tigers...20 lions/// wtf? how is this possible
    There are more tigers in PRIVATE hands in the United States than there are in the wilds of Asia....don't know the details of this gentleman or whether he was licensed or not...but if you have the money and the lack of morals, you can have a tiger or two.

As a former employee of an AZA certified zoo and a would-be naturalist, I can say that the police did the correct thing in this situation. Tranq guns are not a cure-all for such a situation.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:

There are more tigers in PRIVATE hands in the United States than there are in the wilds of Asia....don't know the details of this gentleman or whether he was licensed or not...but if you have the money and the lack of morals, you can have a tiger or two.

As a former employee of an AZA certified zoo and a would-be naturalist, I can say that the police did the correct thing in this situation. Tranq guns are not a cure-all for such a situation.

tiger or 2 fine....this dude had 20 a piece :? :?
    crazy world
    tybird wrote:

tiger or 2 fine....this dude had 20 a piece :? :?
    crazy world
    1, 2, 5, 20, 40.....just numbers really...if you got the money, the numbers are possible....like I said I don't know any details about this gentlemen....was he licensed as a "rescue operation" for the large mammals? Or was a nut with too much money and not enough sense??? There are thousands of tigers in illegal hands in the U.S., so there are rescue operations/facilities through out the nation.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329

Unless of course political leaders feel the need to drop a few bombs on people somewhere far away. Then it's fuck a human life.

There's my "moving train" comment for the year
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    As one of the police officers said to the media, "We don't go to the academy and get trained on how to deal with 300-pound Bengal tigers".
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    As one of the police officers said to the media, "We don't go to the academy and get trained on how to deal with 300-pound Bengal tigers".
    Great quote....the difference between a tiger and a pit-bull is light years apart
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    they definately had to do what they did...... the whole thing shouldn't have happened but what they did was all they could do
  • had to be done....can't risk a human life

What makes a human life more valuable than an animal life?
    brother123 wrote:

exactly. We're animals too.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    brother123 wrote:

Cognition, of course. Which, ironically, allows us to wonder if an animal life is more important then our own.
    Jason P wrote:
    brother123 wrote:

Cognition, of course. Which, ironically, allows us to wonder if an animal life is more important then our own.
    personally , I dont know about MORE important. I do believe equally important.

mickeyrat wrote:
    equally important.

no doubt...i mean without cows...where would you get a good steak. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    equally important.

no doubt...i mean without cows...where would you get a good steak. :P
    or bacon. You know, to wrap around the pigeons.

mickeyrat wrote:
    I would have liked to see them be captured alive, but considering these guys got called in late to take on lions, grizzly bears and tigers .... that must have been like getting called in to fight space aliens, considering this is Ohio we are talking about.
    mickeyrat wrote:
    or bacon. You know, to wrap around the pigeons.
    I stopped eating at McDonalds years ago. :D
  • I doubt any of those cops are proud of what they had to do.
    I doubt any of those cops are proud of what they had to do.

depends on if they worked drugs in NYC or not
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Jason P wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I would have liked to see them be captured alive, but considering these guys got called in late to take on lions, grizzly bears and tigers .... that must have been like getting called in to fight space aliens, considering this is Ohio we are talking about.
    they were claiming they werre aggressive. Ok maybe they were, load up some meat with tranqs and knock them the fuck out. Really pissed at the shoot to kill FIRST.

This guy had these animals for YEARS. And no plan is in place just in case? Please.
    Sheriff was bent out of shape about the lack of laws.And really came across that way to me in the press conference that night. But there was an exec order from our outgoing gov related to this very thing. That exec order was allowed to lapse in April by the current fuckwad.

I doubt any of those cops are proud of what they had to do.
    This is the Midwest we are talking about. This was probably like a dream vacation hunt for 50% of those involved.
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    mikalina wrote:
    ....... The man kills himself and then lets all those animals loose. How crazy.
    :D
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009