Living on your own..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else like their privacy, but hate living alone?

I've been feeling kind of down lately. My girlfriend was supposed to move in this month, but because of health issues keeping her from working regular hours, she can't afford to live with me for maybe another few months, even with me covering all rent and utilities. She's barely getting 8 hrs a week at her retail job and isn't feeling well enough to even work that. She's relying on her parents to pay for just about everything and needs them around. Surgery next month should, fingers crossed, make her better.

It never really hit me hard until now. The first time I left home I roomed with a best friend for a while. My first time in my own apartment was when I lived in the heart of the city and I was out partying every night anyways, so it never really phased me. I then roomed with another best friend and his girlfriend, but after a while, left because I felt like the third wheel and being in my 30s now, needed my own place.

So here I am. 6 weeks already at the new place. No girlfriend here.. yet. 40 minutes from my closest friends and family.. It's funny how living with others can get on my nerves, but I miss it now. It's too quiet. :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    enjoy it....

i miss em.

thankfully, the woman takes off once or twice a year for weekends away without me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i would do anything to live by myself..... ANYTHING :?
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Sorry you're not happier at the moment... but try to look at it as a chance to be savor some time with just you. I only very briefly had a roommate, and was much more comfortable on my own. But I did sometimes get lonely, I know what you mean.

Think of the things you like to do that maybe your girlfriend, or previously roommates, weren't particularly interested in. Particular movies, TV shows, music, whatever. And enjoy them now.

And... when all else fails... jump on the boards!
    ;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    81 wrote:
    enjoy it....

i miss em.

thankfully, the woman takes off once or twice a year for weekends away without me.
    I know.. And I like the idea of having nights to myself.. but every night sucks. Even just knowing someone's around in another room doing their own thing makes me feel better..

She actually moved in a few weeks ago, but has only spent about 4 nights here, and now realizes she needs to stay at home until she gets through what is going on. She needs to borrow money from her parents for bills, food, running to the store, but living by with me, she doesn't have them around for that and won't take my money for that stuff even though I offer to help her. :?
    Sorry you're not happier at the moment... but try to look at it as a chance to be savor some time with just you. I only very briefly had a roommate, and was much more comfortable on my own. But I did sometimes get lonely, I know what you mean.

Think of the things you like to do that maybe your girlfriend, or previously roommates, weren't particularly interested in. Particular movies, TV shows, music, whatever. And enjoy them now.

And... when all else fails... jump on the boards!
    ;)
    Well, I lived on my own this last year before the new apartment, so I've had plenty of time to myself. It was easier though because I was located a few minutes from friends and family.. I moved here for her, and she can't quite move in yet, so I'm feeling a little trapped by myself.
  • supadupasupadupa Posts: 377
    I love living alone. I guess the fact that I've only lived alone for maybe two years out of my entire life has made me incredibly possessive of my personal space. It's even become the subject of most of my writing.

Seriously, if I could marry my personal space, I would. We would just have to maintain separate addresses after the wedding, of course.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Never have, wife takes two weekends a month to hang out with her girlfreinds, been good for both of us.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Party at Gob's friday night.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    :lol:
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I live on my own.. It can get lonely.. but it is rare to feel that way for me...
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    love my privacy

love living alone

i'm no help :problem:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Love my privacy.
    Love living alone.
  • i have lived alone for the last 10 years. i bought my house a year out of grad school and i was a really social person. i like the fact that i can come and go as i please and have nobody to answer to for anything, but coming from living in a fraternity house with 40 other guys where something was going on every single night to going to living with one room mate, to living alone is kind of a mindfuck. as a result, my house has become the crash pad and i have friends crash over here sometimes and my basement is my band's rehearsal space because i live alone and i have the coolest neighbors lol... i do alot of things to pass the time. i play a lot of guitar, i write and i'm starting to write a book now, and i go to the gym a lot. in 2002 out of loneliness and boredom i went to the animal shelter and adopted my dog, so that has helped a lot. i enjoy having my space and i have a lot of room for my stuff, but the problem is homeownership is expensive when you live by yourself. shit gets expensive to fix and if i had a roommate it would be easier financially, but whatever. i am sure if i lived with someone they would annoy me so i guess i am out of luck either way :lol:

i would just do the things that you like to do. take up a hobby or teach yourself something like the guitar or uke.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Gob wrote:
    81 wrote:
    :lol:

I'll be there.

Gob, where did you end up moving? I know you were on the hunt looking in the NW burbs a couple months ago...
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    i have lived alone for the last 10 years. i bought my house a year out of grad school and i was a really social person. i like the fact that i can come and go as i please and have nobody to answer to for anything, but coming from living in a fraternity house with 40 other guys where something was going on every single night to going to living with one room mate, to living alone is kind of a mindfuck. as a result, my house has become the crash pad and i have friends crash over here sometimes and my basement is my band's rehearsal space because i live alone and i have the coolest neighbors lol... i do alot of things to pass the time. i play a lot of guitar, i write and i'm starting to write a book now, and i go to the gym a lot. in 2002 out of loneliness and boredom i went to the animal shelter and adopted my dog, so that has helped a lot. i enjoy having my space and i have a lot of room for my stuff, but the problem is homeownership is expensive when you live by yourself. shit gets expensive to fix and if i had a roommate it would be easier financially, but whatever. i am sure if i lived with someone they would annoy me so i guess i am out of luck either way :lol:

i would just do the things that you like to do. take up a hobby or teach yourself something like the guitar or uke.

so you're the bastard that is living my life! :D
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    enjoy it....

i miss em.

send for your lady friend (which i hope she is well soon) or go to her place.
    ya visit and go home where it is quiet and alone time.

send for your other lady friends or and go to their cribs.
    then come home or boot them out for quiet alone time.

leave a few dishes in the sink to remind yourself you are a bachelor, god dammit.
    being alone is for deep thinking time; writing, guitar playing, records a spinnin time, and plenty of green

again... be free
    by all rights you should have 9-19 different lady friends
    this is every man's duty

now go make your frickin bed and vaccum the floor
    (my landlord borrowed me a vaccum beings i don't own one. this was 3 days ago. it is still sitting there unused) :mrgreen:

btw, fyi, never ever take my advice :twisted:
    unless you're a genius
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    btw, a female (can you believe it? a real live girl even?) once lived with me for not quiet 1 year. sure sex comes several times a day/night. sharing a bed with another can be a pain in the keester. this fact took me several long months to get used too.

women don't like pee all over the bathroom floor and walls. now ya gotta clean up after your spill/drips.
    women (some of them) cook great and to much. this makes us all fat.
    women like to give and get oral treatment. this is a plus for everyone involved
    women smell lovely themselves and they spray shit everywhere that smells like wildflowers, spring air, and mountain lillies from the valley.

perfumes make me sick. never eat your women's clothing if she dumps heavy perfumes on her bras and underwear.

living alone is filled with farts that don't need to be discussed in anyway shape or form. just let lose and be down with it. end of story.

the sink still has your spoon and bowl from the cereal you ate yesterday.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I've never lived by myself ever!
    home, roomies, menfolk, marriage, multiple four leggers,

I hope this is be the case til the end.
    pandora wrote:

at least you have lived with other men besides JB and your son. i believe we have to experience more than one romantic partner in our lives. high school sweetheart bullshit?...no.

who the hell falls in love at 15 and stay with just that person until 400 yrs old?
    stay single living alone until things are ironed out? yes

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    chadwick wrote:
    pandora wrote:

at least you have lived with other men besides JB and your son. i believe we have to experience more than one romantic partner in our lives. high school sweetheart bullshit?...no.

who the hell falls in love at 15 and stay with just that person until 400 yrs old?
    stay single living alone until things are ironed out? yes
    I know some relationships that did begin in high school, even before,
    still together years ... to a lifetime later.

I think the key is fulfillment,
    no reason to look anywhere else because one has found it
    and doesn't want to lose it.

That could happen at a very young age or not til you're in your eighties.
    It is a love that is satisfying, all you ever needed and were lucky enough to find
    at whatever age.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    chadwick wrote:
    btw, a female (can you believe it? a real live girl even?) once lived with me for not quiet 1 year. sure sex comes several times a day/night. sharing a bed with another can be a pain in the keester. this fact took me several long months to get used too.

women don't like pee all over the bathroom floor and walls. now ya gotta clean up after your spill/drips.
    women (some of them) cook great and to much. this makes us all fat.
    women like to give and get oral treatment. this is a plus for everyone involved
    women smell lovely themselves and they spray shit everywhere that smells like wildflowers, spring air, and mountain lillies from the valley.

perfumes make me sick. never eat your women's clothing if she dumps heavy perfumes on her bras and underwear.

living alone is filled with farts that don't need to be discussed in anyway shape or form. just let lose and be down with it. end of story.

the sink still has your spoon and bowl from the cereal you ate yesterday.

Have you ever considered becoming a spoken-word artist? I would attend every gig.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • chadwick wrote:
    women don't like pee all over the bathroom floor and walls.

Walls?! You have got to work on your aim my friend.
    ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • themessengerthemessenger Posts: 1,320
    Gob wrote:
    Anyone else like their privacy, but hate living alone?

I've been feeling kind of down lately. My girlfriend was supposed to move in this month, but because of health issues keeping her from working regular hours, she can't afford to live with me for maybe another few months, even with me covering all rent and utilities. She's barely getting 8 hrs a week at her retail job and isn't feeling well enough to even work that. She's relying on her parents to pay for just about everything and needs them around. Surgery next month should, fingers crossed, make her better.

It never really hit me hard until now. The first time I left home I roomed with a best friend for a while. My first time in my own apartment was when I lived in the heart of the city and I was out partying every night anyways, so it never really phased me. I then roomed with another best friend and his girlfriend, but after a while, left because I felt like the third wheel and being in my 30s now, needed my own place.

So here I am. 6 weeks already at the new place. No girlfriend here.. yet. 40 minutes from my closest friends and family.. It's funny how living with others can get on my nerves, but I miss it now. It's too quiet. :?

I'm almost 32 and have lived with roommates ever since I left for college. I've been talking about getting my own place for about a year but I really have some of the same reservations you do and afraid it will be too quiet and lonely at times. I've lived with my brother for over 2 years now, and I love him to death and is a great roommate despite how messy he is, plus rent is cheaper this way. I keep thinking I should be living alone just to see what it's like, but I guess it's a little fear of the unknown.

Hang in there and hopefully things work out for the best with the gf and the living situation.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    when I grow up, I want my own room
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Have you ever considered becoming a spoken-word artist? I would attend every gig.

spoken word artist?
    what is that exactly?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I got into my condo at 22; bf moved in at 25, stayed 4 years and now here I am, 32, living alone again for the past couple years.

I LOVE it.

Can have whoever i want over, whenever I want. No putting up with roommate's friends or family.
    Only people that have keys are the people I WANT to have keys.
    I can walk around wearing (or not wearing) whatever i want.
    I get the washer and dryer to myself.
    I can play whatever music I want, watch whatever I want on TV....never have to worry about it.
    More closet space.
    I can take a long bath and not worry about being disturbed.
    No one uses my shit unless I approve it.
    No one says shit when I get in at 3AM.
    I can hang up whatever the fuck I want on my walls.

downside:
    sometimes it can be lonely. thats what friends and such are for.
    It would be nice to have someone share the expenses of owning and keeping up a home.
    It would be nice to have someone who is able to do things like hook up my surrond system. Or help me go shop for a new one and install it. I LOVE to do projects around the house, but with electronics I am kind of a dipshit.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited October 2011
    Hang in there, Gob! Try to see the positive aspects, there are lots of them, as others before me pointed out :) I've been living on my own since I moved out of my parents' place at 18 for most of the time and I love it. Try to start a hobby, go out, don't drown yourselves in your loneliness! It's great coming home and being able to do whatever you please :D I imagine that it can be hard if you are not used to it, though.

I would never again share my place with strangers just to pay the rent (that was the only reason why I did it twice :roll: ) and friends are to important too me to move in with them :lol:. I grew up sharing rooms with my two sisters who are about the same age as me, this is probably why I cherish my own space. I think the only chance that I moved in with someone would be with a partner, but the place would have to be big enough for two...

Good luck to you and your gf (I hope she's getting better soon!) and try to enjoy your "alone time" ;)
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I lived alone for 16 years,was very used to it and liked it a lot.
    Then lived with my ex partner for 4 years,most of that time drove me nuts,not getting my own space and arguing about who's turn it was to the dishes :roll:
    Have been living alone for about 18 months now,it has been a struggle to adjust to and I miss the nice things of sharing a space with someone,but in all I would rather live alone,I don't plan to live with anyone again.
    I need my own space and to having no one else to think about.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    It sounds like you miss your girlfriend and would like her to move in... hopefully soon.

Well, she can spend a night during the week with you, go out to dinner or better yet make her dinner since she is not feeling so well right now.

How about she spends the weekends with you... :D You have your space during the week and your girlfriend with you all weekend.

also, try and make new "friends" who live near by you.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I guess it's one of those things where the grass is always greener. I went straight from moving out of my mom's house to moving in with my hubby (yeah a couple years of living in sin there :lol: ) so I've never lived alone in my life. I am EXTREMELY jealous of anyone that does live by themselves or has at least gotten to do it for a time. Luckily he travels quite a bit so I do get some peace and quiet every now and again, and believe me do I look forward to those trips! It would be nice to come and go and do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, which is impossible when you're living with someone. So I guess what I'm saying is I get how it could get lonely sometimes, but do try to enjoy it while you have it!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2