If you could start over part deux

2»

Comments

• hostishostis Posts: 441
    I'll take a line from my mum. (mom :)) Her opinion is that yes she had a crappy first marriage and didnt enjoy it at all however without going through that she would never have had me and my sister, ergo, you cant wish to change one single thing in your life as it would affect everything else.... you are here, EXACTLY here, through choices you have made throughout your life and to change one single thing could result in a completely different outcome.

for further proof, see a deeply philosophical film that you may not have heard of called "back to the future"
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Oh man! I would have listened to my Step Father when he talked to me about money and credit. :(
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Oh man! I would have listened to my Step Father when he talked to me about money and credit. :(
    Umm ya. Same boat here.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    hostis wrote:
    I'll take a line from my mum. (mom :)) Her opinion is that yes she had a crappy first marriage and didnt enjoy it at all however without going through that she would never have had me and my sister, ergo, you cant wish to change one single thing in your life as it would affect everything else.... you are here, EXACTLY here, through choices you have made throughout your life and to change one single thing could result in a completely different outcome.

for further proof, see a deeply philosophical film that you may not have heard of called "back to the future"

Yes, we do not want to mess with the space-time continuum... :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,432
    i would most likely just go back and change some of the little things i've done and said towards other people. i'm pretty happy as an adult so most of my changes would be in the teens and early to mid 20 years. i'd sure as shit be a heck of a lot more appreciative of the people who were in my life at those times including my parents. and i'd want to have a hell of a lot more self confidence than i had in those years understanding now that everyone pretty much has no clue and is pretty much just as scared and confused as i was.
  • I never would have racked up a shitload of credit card debt while in college. I'm still paying that stuff off....but I will reach my goal of being debt free by the time I am 30! Should have listened to my parents on that one...
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    hostis wrote:
    I wouldn't change a single choice. ever. (even the ones I knew were worng at the time). I love and appreciate where i am now and any changes in choice would mean I am not right here, right now, being the person I like to be.

This was going to be almost exactly my response to this. Because I would not be who I am, and where I am and with the person I'm with, and have my beautiful children if I made different decisions. BUT... there's a lot of shit that I put up with and went through to get to who I am now - it's a nice thought - being able to be a completely different person with a different past.

Maybe a kind of Sliding Doors idea - where you end up meeting the same people/being in the same situation regardless is a nice one. Except there's my logic kicking in again, telling me that I would never have been in that situation if it weren't for the one before it.....

*sigh*....let's just say I wouldn't change anything. :lol:
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • I would have gone to University.

I try to live with no regrets but that is one thing I would most definitely change.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I have a question to add....

If you could start over...would it make you a better person if you did it all differently? I wonder that all the time. :think:
    I don't think so. In fact, personally, it may have made me more sheltered and ignorant, and much less knowledgeable, experience-wise. I'm good people; nothing I could have done differently would have made me any 'better'. :mrgreen:
  • You're still gonna have problems, even if you do change things........

Just because you went to college doesn't make you problem free. If you never started smoking you would still have problems. If you chose this career over another, you're still gonna have problems. Live with the choices and mistakes you made and keep on livin!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    If I could reverse time, I still wouldn't change anything. As other said, all my experiences (good or bad) made me who I am today and most probably helped me cope with a huge 'change of path' a few years ago. We go forward learning from our successes and mistakes - this forges our character. Of course, I so wish my life hadn't gone on a tangent but such is it! I guess one can always think 'what if I did this/didn't do this, I could have had a better job/be happier/be rich, etc.' But then again, maybe not!
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    766.jpg
    I think this is true. :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Like the last thread but career and life on this one.
    If you could reverse time and do it again what would you change?
    I sure as shit would not be at work on a stupid weekend shift missing my kids on this awesome day.
    I'd do way better in school and be a dr or nurse. Something in the medical field. And I would have never started smoking. And not fucked up my credit. And not ever put up with bs from a gf or spouse.

right now, first and foremost i would change my words and actions on august 26, 2011. how's that for specific? :?

in regards to my life overall...i just don't know....
    i look back and see many areas where i could've made a different choice, maybe a better one? hard to tell.
    thing is though, if i did take that different route, would my life be better today? so many of the choices i mull over, reconsider, wonder...what-if....well, if i DID choose the what-if, i'd not have the experiences, the friendships and all else....that i have right now. if i did get my BFA in interior design instead of art education, maybe i'd have a better career, maybe.....but...i'd never have gone on for my MA degree, and THAT add so many life experiences and friendships i'd not want to miss out on. so idk...i think right now, kinda pointless for me to look backwards, i need to start looking forwards and figuring out just wtf i want to do with my life and how i can change it for the better. it's the only place i can have any control, what's done is done...

sorry for rambling :P...got a lot on my mind, very much attuned to this thread...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• hostis wrote:
    I wouldn't change a single choice. ever. (even the ones I knew were worng at the time). I love and appreciate where i am now and any changes in choice would mean I am not right here, right now, being the person I like to be.
    I like to think that I
    could agree with this...
    ... + it's true that every decision
    I made led me HERE,
    where I am quite content.
    But hey,
    who really knows?
    Mayhap I coulda been a millionaire
    if I'd only used Irish Spring
    instead of Ivory
    all those years ago.
    The world is a weird place man!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,695
    I wouldnt change anything...
    Yeah, like everyone else I have made some blunders in my life...
    But fuck it...Ya live and ya learn....

Im happy right now...
    Kathy is happy...
    Our parents are alive and well....

I guess thats all that matters.....
    You wouldn't go back and secure that cooler of sausage???
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • i'd have learned to play the uke 30 years ago, instead of 5

i'd have had more respect for others in my teens and 20s - especially my folks. i knew everything. they knew nothing, and could just fuck off for all i cared. god i was such an asshole.

Then i heard Pearl Jam! and still remained fairly dickheaded for another 6 to 8 years.

funny thing is i really thought i knew everything! so, i guess another regret is not writing down the meaning of life when i knew it. now i'm the age my parents were and, like them, know nothing.

perhaps if i played the uke as a child maybe less prone to assholedness? probably not. maybe though.

i do know that dwelling on shit can be super corrosive to the psyche - makes much more sense to live in the present tense (which i saw in vancouver and was fucking awesome)
    uke can save the world
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I would have purchased this bucket hat in black also. Opens up more of the wardrobe.