Just give me a fucking oil change!!!

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    ^^^^^ which is why I (real man :lol: ) do it myself.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    my mechanic is great...he was actually telling me yesterday that i didn't need things done that i thought should be done :D
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:
    my mechanic is great...he was actually telling me yesterday that i didn't need things done that i thought should be done :D

You thought you would need lube and he disagreed? odd.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I recently took my brand new car in for it's first oil change.
    Tell them what kind of oil I want for it. Sit in the little room with stale coffee and 3 month old magazines with a little TV that has on Fox News.
    20 minutes later, dude comes in..."would you like us to put in a new air filter, this one (as it shows it to me) is bad. Oh, and we can put new wiper blades on it too while we're at it".
    I asked him if he saw how many miles the car had on it. He said "No, why?". I then tell him "it's brand fuckin' new!! And besides, why would it need wipers? I think I've used them ONCE since I got it!!!"

"Oh, ok. That'll be $30, oh and here's a coupon for $5 off your next oil change".

Grrrr!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

You thought you would need lube and he disagreed? odd.

isn't it? i guess it's my naïveté :problem:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Oh, and I later found out that the first year of any service...including oil changes is free at the dealer I bought it at. Son of a!!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    new oil filters

i could be wrong here....but isn't a new oil filter pretty much a standard thing to change when doing an oil change :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    I usually change it myself but before I left for the Canada tour I wanted to get an oil change and was running low on time. I brought it to Jiffy Lube and I had changed out the air filter a month or so earlier. She took out the filter and brought it to me in the waiting room and tried to convince me it was dirty and could use a replacement. The oil filter was still bright yellow and it was so clean I would of ate food off it. Not to mention the other 1000 things they tried to get me to buy.
  • My boyfriend at the time took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation as a favor to me while I was at work one day while he was out of work. I didnt think I needed to specify NOT to do this to him, but he took it to FUCKING WALMART. I wont buy anything at Walmart, let alone let them touch my car!!

So he goes there, and they took off 2 of the tires before realizing"ohhh, we don't have the oil filter you need here...sorry, can't do the oil change" so he told them to put the 2 tires back on the car that they took off and he would go elsewhere.

So he took it to Firestone later that day, and they go to take the tires off, and Walmart had GLUED my bolts back on one of my tires because they had stripped them!! :x :x :x He called there immediately and spoke to the manager and they denied doing it...saying "show me the receipt from the work you had done" and when my bf explained there was no work done, the manager said "well then you have no proof it happened here"
    :shock:
    This was literally only a couple hours after he had been there!!

Just another reason I do not shop at Walmart.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
    funny....but i can't ever remember having a dealer/oil shop try and up sell me.

it pays to carry a scowl.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    paging Cavstarr313
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    paging Cavstarr313

:lol:

hey cav...what do think...is the best oil and filter?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    81, what kind of truck? I have a '10 F150 that I used Mobil 1 synthetic and mobil 1 filter. They are usually on special at Pepboys or Advance for $30(5 quarts and a filter). I end up buying 2 sets of these when they are on sale. Costco also sells mobil 1 for cheap. I always do it myself since it's so easy on a truck...

Forgot to mention that I get nearly 10k out of each oil change..My old 04 ran like a champ with Mobil 1..
    crazypjfan wrote:
    81, what kind of truck? I have a '10 F150 that I used Mobil 1 synthetic and mobil 1 filter. They are usually on special at Pepboys or Advance for $30(5 quarts and a filter). I end up buying 2 sets of these when they are on sale. Costco also sells mobil 1 for cheap. I always do it myself since it's so easy on a truck...

Forgot to mention that I get nearly 10k out of each oil change..My old 04 ran like a champ with Mobil 1..

Tacoma...takes 6 quarts....

normally i buy a case of oil from the parts store (not pep boys, they are more expensive around here) and filters from the dealers.

right now it would cost (22.99 + 5.29 plus tax) 31 with tax for a 5 qt jug and a 1 qt bottle...plus 5 for the filter..

local dealer has an online coupon for 24.95...with shop supplies 26.73 (just looked at my bank records) was the total and i don't have to deal with the mess.

crazy.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    cheap oil change is normally the loss leader to get your vehicle in the garage so they can find other things that need to be fixed. I am dreading taking in my car this month for the annual inspection.
  • I usually do it myself, but we had a pretty bad winter and never had a chance to do it so I took it Jiffy Lube and they tried telling me the front fog light and rear brake light was out and they could replace it while I wait for oil change. I said not thanks, I have spare bulbs at home. Sure-as-Shit, I get home and all lights were working fine.

nice try
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • But according to the mileage on your car you're overdue for ______ and _______. Driving under these conditions could be VERY dangerous.....

they pulled this on me last time. it was my 30,000 mile "check up" and they said i was due for about $500 worth of work with my next oil change. um, really? it's a friggin oil change. "well, you need an alignment and your tires rotated and balanced, and a new johnson rod and ..."

ridiculous.
    But according to the mileage on your car you're overdue for ______ and _______. Driving under these conditions could be VERY dangerous.....

they pulled this on me last time. it was my 30,000 mile "check up" and they said i was due for about $500 worth of work with my next oil change. um, really? it's a friggin oil change. "well, you need an alignment and your tires rotated and balanced, and a new johnson rod and ..."

ridiculous.

the one local tire place recommends an allignment every 5k miles. no joke.

i'm at 66K miles...without one... it tracks fine and tires look ok....i better go ask cav what he thinks....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    My boyfriend at the time took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation as a favor to me while I was at work one day while he was out of work. I didnt think I needed to specify NOT to do this to him, but he took it to FUCKING WALMART. I wont buy anything at Walmart, let alone let them touch my car!!

So he goes there, and they took off 2 of the tires before realizing"ohhh, we don't have the oil filter you need here...sorry, can't do the oil change" so he told them to put the 2 tires back on the car that they took off and he would go elsewhere.

So he took it to Firestone later that day, and they go to take the tires off, and Walmart had GLUED my bolts back on one of my tires because they had stripped them!! :x :x :x He called there immediately and spoke to the manager and they denied doing it...saying "show me the receipt from the work you had done" and when my bf explained there was no work done, the manager said "well then you have no proof it happened here"
    :shock:
    This was literally only a couple hours after he had been there!!

Just another reason I do not shop at Walmart.
    Their shop didn't have security cameras proving that your boyfriend went there?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    The best was when I took my wife's car in for an oil change a couple years ago and the girl who was the courtesy person or whatever they called her tells me the cyclops light bulb is out...I ask her if she stepped on the brake to check...no just turned on the lights and that one didn't come on...so I tell her to stand behind the car and watch, I go and step on the brake and voila, it lights up...no bulb necessary.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    I posted the same thing on Facebook last week.
    They try to sell you wiper blades, flushes, tire rotations...WTF?
    Just change the oil correctly and leave me alone.
    To make it worse i heard the local place here uses ex-cons because of some program...no thanks.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Their shop didn't have security cameras proving that your boyfriend went there?

Who knows...this was about 4 years ago, and I dont remember if we asked. I knew a guy at the car dealer that I bought the car from and he fixed it up for me at no charge. I think it ended up being that we just had to replace the bolts? It didnt end up being a huge deal to fix, its just the thought that they would GLUE the bolts in place.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • 81 wrote:
    But according to the mileage on your car you're overdue for ______ and _______. Driving under these conditions could be VERY dangerous.....

ridiculous.

the one local tire place recommends an allignment every 5k miles. no joke.

i'm at 66K miles...without one... it tracks fine and tires look ok....i better go ask cav what he thinks....

they can suggest whatever they want-the question is whether or not i actually need it lol. i know eventually i will, but really? $500 worth of stuff done and half of the shit i don't know if it's real or not. drives me up a wall that they assume that because i'm a woman i don't know anything about cars. granted, i don't, but they don't need to assume that's the case :lol:
    they can suggest whatever they want-the question is whether or not i actually need it lol. i know eventually i will, but really? $500 worth of stuff done and half of the shit i don't know if it's real or not. drives me up a wall that they assume that because i'm a woman i don't know anything about cars. granted, i don't, but they don't need to assume that's the case :lol:

it's nice being a guy and having a swell buddy like Cavstar to answer all my car questions.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

it's nice being a guy and having a swell buddy like Cavstar to answer all my car questions.

i do wish i had someone who something about cars so i could avoid this. although when i bought the car i did a ton of research and when the salesman tried to screw me on the deal i called him out on it. he was very surprised to hear i knew what i was talking about 8-)
    81 wrote:

i do wish i had someone who something about cars so i could avoid this. although when i bought the car i did a ton of research and when the salesman tried to screw me on the deal i called him out on it. he was very surprised to hear i knew what i was talking about 8-)

drop a dime on cavstar...he loves helping forum members with car questins. ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I like my mechanic. He gives me 'the coupon' on all my services if I don't have one. Gives me a ride home if the service is going to take all day, if something needs replacing, he asks me if I want them to do it, or if I want to have Mr.RK do it...will even tell me if it's easy to do at home.

Jiffy Lube on the other hand... :evil: (I only go to them if I need the oil changed and the shop is busy)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • it's nice being a guy and having a swell buddy like Cavstar to answer all my car questions.[/quote]

i do wish i had someone who something about cars so i could avoid this. although when i bought the car i did a ton of research and when the salesman tried to screw me on the deal i called him out on it. he was very surprised to hear i knew what i was talking about 8-)[/quote]

drop a dime on cavstar...he loves helping forum members with car questins. ;)[/quote]

Sweet, thanks for the reference! I'll remember for next time when they 'remind' me my $30 oil change needs to jump up by 200% then I might actually be able to counter what they're saying instead of just telling them I don't want to pay for it lol
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    The first time I ever got an oil change I was 16, and I didn't know any better so they took me for a ride and what should have been a $20 oil change ended up costing about $100. Had I been paying with my own money and actually known anything about cars I may have been more careful and not gotten ripped off, but I had my parents credit card and didn't know any better, so they got me.

First thing they did the old "dirty filter" trick on me. Guy was like, look at this filthy filter, and I was like, yeah that's bad change it. They also told me that my car needed some sort of high end synthetic oil as opposed to regular 10W-30. Anyways I got home and my dad was pissed, he had JUST changed the filter in order to avoid them doing that to me, so whatever filter they showed me was likely not even out of my car, I guess they had a dirty/worn out one laying around to show people, and also my car did not need any special type of oil. But hey, I was only 16 and didn't know shit other than how to drive and fuel the car. My dad ended up going there and raising hell and they gave him 3 free oil change vouchers to apologize for ripping his son off.

But it's never fail since then, wherever I go they always try to tell me they need to change the filter, try to get me to buy more expensive oil, want to change my wiper blades, or something. You really have to be stern with them too, or at least the ones I've encountered, because they're persistent. I guess they get a commission or something on all the extra shit they get you to buy, or the garage really hammers it in their heads to do it, because it is never fail.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Some of you folks need to find a good garage...the place I get my oil done balances and rotates my tires every other oil change, no cost. Where I take my car to serviced the owner/mechanic is great...he is very busy...but I take that as a good sign.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon