Shooting range

chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Going tonight with a friend and sis (ladies' night at the range) to shoot a gun for the first time! I'm nervous but excited :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Going tonight with a friend and sis (ladies' night at the range) to shoot a gun for the first time! I'm nervous but excited :D

What a great idea for a ladies' night! Have so much fun, it's such a stress reliever!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    12g shotguns are fun
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Have Fun!! I effin love the range! Which one are you going to? Hmmm... ladies night? Jackson Arms? Once you go a few times you have got to try the range in Los Altos. It is outdoors, up in the hills, and you can shoot rifles! Really big rifles!! ...Are you taking a class? Tonight they'll probably start you on a .22, but once you get used to it get a bigger gun for sure. Go at least 9mm. I like a Glock myself.

I hope you have the best time!! You are gonna feel so good!
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722

Pistol or rifle?

I assume they will start you off with a .22. If that's the case, have no worries. Barely any kick. Similar to a BB gun as far as kick goes.

...but if you get to 9mm or larger, and if you have a pistol, just make sure the elbow of your dominant arm (right arm for most people) is locked, and I usually like to have my left hand cupped under the clip (or handle), and with my right arm, put pressure down on the left hand. I find that keeps the kick back pretty manageable even with magnum rounds.

For me, target shooting has a lot of similarities to yoga. A lot of silence, patience, focus. ...and if anyone is firing a monster cannon next to you in the range, wear earplugs in your ears, as well as hearing protectors over your ears.

Have fun!
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    Only bummer is none of the local spots permit rapid fire. That is the best. You should try it at least once. They'll give you a warning, but just play dumb.

• CJMST3K wrote:
    ...and if anyone is firing a monster cannon next to you in the range, wear earplugs in your ears, as well as hearing protectors over your ears.

Good advice!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    and the reason I mention kick back on the larger rounds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJjaj7pXsA
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Thanks guys! Yup I've been told it's very cathartic, anything that can help me relieve stress is welcomed! I've been warned I'll get hooked!

Plus it's something I've always wanted to try. Was always afraid of guns so I want to get past that, and it's probably a good thing to know how to do as a general knowledge tidbit.

Ryze, it's Bullseye in San Rafael, every Wednesday is ladies' night, free gun rental and lane, just pay for the ammo and targets! :D My friend who I've known since high school, she knows all about guns since she grew up around 'em so she's gonna show me what to do....a .22 should be the best thing to start with.

I'll keep Jackson Arms in mind when I'm ready to graduate to rifles...that sounds AWESOME! Can you like shoot cans and stuff? As you can tell I'm clueless lol
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Your gona Love It! Picture your Boss!
    CJMST3K wrote:
    and the reason I mention kick back on the larger rounds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJjaj7pXsA
    OW! :lol:

Yeah, I don't want that to happen..I'll definitely start off small!
    Your gona Love It! Picture your Boss!
    haha actually I *love* my boss, she's the best! But I have a few other people I'll definitely be picturing :twisted: hehe

Thanks for the advice about the earplugs, god knows my hearing is shot as it is, thanks to PJ!

Ryze good to know about the rapid fire, I have no problem playing dumb haha
    Ryze, it's Bullseye in San Rafael, every Wednesday is ladies' night, free gun rental and lane, just pay for the ammo and targets! :D My friend who I've known since high school, she knows all about guns since she grew up around 'em so she's gonna show me what to do....a .22 should be the best thing to start with.

I'll keep Jackson Arms in mind when I'm ready to graduate to rifles...that sounds AWESOME! Can you like shoot cans and stuff? As you can tell I'm clueless lol

I love Bullseye! I've only been there a few times. Jackson Arms is on 101 by SFO. (It is different from the outdoor range in Los Altos- targets only, no cans.) They have a ladies night too. That is the one I usually frequent. If you get a taste for it let me know. I'm always down for a shooting partner. Anytime. 8-)

RYEzupSF wrote:

I love Bullseye! I've only been there a few times. Jackson Arms is on 101 by SFO. (It is different from the outdoor range in Los Altos- targets only, no cans.) They have a ladies night too. That is the one I usually frequent. If you get a taste for it let me know. I'm always down for a shooting partner. Anytime. 8-)
    I'll let ya know how it goes! :D
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    rifles are where it's at, but start off small..... baby steps
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Have Fun!! I effin love the range! Which one are you going to? Hmmm... ladies night? Jackson Arms? Once you go a few times you have got to try the range in Los Altos. It is outdoors, up in the hills, and you can shoot rifles! Really big rifles!! ...Are you taking a class? Tonight they'll probably start you on a .22, but once you get used to it get a bigger gun for sure. Go at least 9mm. I like a Glock myself.

That's gangster, RYEz.

Do you warm up with a 40 oz?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    dcfaithful wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

That's gangster, RYEz.

she shoots sideways...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    First time I ever fired a gun was at a range and I shot my buddies AR-15 and AK-47...that's just how I roll. :D
    dcfaithful wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

That's gangster, RYEz.

Nothin but the Olde E.
    81 wrote:

she shoots sideways...

Shit man, is there any other way?

DS1119 wrote:
    First time I ever fired a gun was at a range and I shot my buddies AR-15 and AK-47...that's just how I roll. :D

My favorite rifle. ...I get too many bruises from the AK. Gotta work on that.

RYEzupSF wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

My favorite rifle. ...I get too many bruises from the AK. Gotta work on that.

He let me go off Rambo style with one of them (don't know which one and they weren't automatic) but I just emptied the clip one bullet after another...it was fuckin awesome.

Rambo.jpg
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Haha, Eat lead suckas..or Rat Fucks..muhaha
    Seems like a cool way to kill an hour out of the office
    Rambo.jpg[/quote]
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
    Aero83_ wrote:
    Haha, Eat lead suckas..or Rat Fucks..muhaha
    Seems like a cool way to kill an hour out of the office
    Rambo.jpg
    [/quote]

Yup. 8-)
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Click..click...boom
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    RYEzupSF wrote:

You see I'm quick to let the hammer go click
    On my Tec-9 so if you try to wreck mine
    Fool it's your bad time

Fool it's your bad time

I got a problem solver and his name is revolver

...I can't tell you how many times I say this in a week.

RYEzupSF wrote:

Fool it's your bad time

I got a problem solver and his name is revolver

...I can't tell you how many times I say this in a week.

Dre and Cube..classic

You hear Eazy-E's son wants to play Eazy in the John Singleton movie ?

Dre and Cube..classic

I read that in XXL. Considering that Eazy E is my spirit animal I think I should play the part. But since I can't clear my schedule I think it is appropriate that Lil Eazy takes it on.

• I like firing guns.

I don't own any but my buddy does and we'll bring em out every once in awhile

best gun I ever fired was a M1 Garand
    RYEzupSF wrote:

Dre and Cube..classic

I read that in XXL. Considering that Eazy E is my spirit animal I think I should play the part. But since I can't clear my schedule I think it is appropriate that Lil Eazy takes it on.

You could definitely pull that off

You're probably the same height

:lol: