Mouse Traps - Good Lord

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,674
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I just bought a house, moved in.
We discovered mouse droppings in the garage. They seem to be getting in at night. In order to put a stop to this, my father in law brought over these sticky pad mouse traps. Put peanut butter in the middle, set the pad down, and the mouse gets on and dies. Real easy. Maybe there was some fast acting poison in the glue or something.

So the 2nd day of setting them, I found a mouse on the pad and reality set in. Holy shit. This poor thing.

The mouse was stuck on the pad, which was displaced about 5 feet from a struggle. There was some fur ripped off and stuck to the pad. The mouse was laying there a bit, half on top of its last glorious feast of peanut butter. The mouse moved a little and I realized it was still alive. I couldnt figure out a way to kill it quickly and I had to leave for work. I called home and asked my wife to find a way and she did not.
So I get home from work and checked on the trap. It was moved a little more. The mouse was dead. A lot of fur ripped out and stuck to the pad, along with part of the mouse's hand. The mouse had pooped himself a lot too.

I have been really upset I did this to something. I picked up the remaining devices of torture and I ordered some humane ones off Amazon. I feel horrible though. Why didnt I think of this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• This is a horrible story, but don't be so hard on yourself. When we know better, we do better, and that sounds to be exactly what you are doing.

In the future, if you are ever looking for a humane way to end an animal's life, such as a trapped mouse, or a half run over bird or something, you can put them in the freezer. The cold numbs pain receptors, and the suffering ends before they are dead, which is fairly quick.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    :( I'm sorry that happened. Like loveontwolegs said, learn from it, move on.
    I pop mouse traps when I find them empty. :shock:
    It will be okay. He's out of misery now.
  • PJ88PJ88 Posts: 1,074
    edited October 2011
    Just purchase some Have-A-Heart Traps. Put the food in one end, mouse goes in, sets off trigger and cage door shuts. Then take said cage with mouse in it and drive. Drive far away. You then release caged mouse into the wild. You let them go far from your home because I have read that if you release them too close to your home, they come right back. Look into the traps and good luck!
    Post edited by PJ88 on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    and what are you going to do with the mouse when it is still alive in the trap?

mice have a gestation period of about 21 days, each mouse can have 6-10 babies in each litter, and reach maturity in 4 weeks...just think how many mice you will have in 3 months!

mice carry all sorts of diseases many of which are communicable to humans.

We had a mouse problem last year, and I set glue traps, and regular snap traps...never caught the little fucker. Finally brought the outside cats into the garage...no more mouse! If you don't like cats, you can ask a friend for some used cat litter to place in trays to set around the garage. Mice have an excellent sense of smell and if they smell a cat/cat excrement, they will vacate the area.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:

mice have a gestation period of about 21 days, each mouse can have 6-10 babies in each litter, and reach maturity in 4 weeks...just think how many mice you will have in 3 months!

We had a mouse problem last year, and I set glue traps, and regular snap traps...never caught the little fucker. Finally brought the outside cats into the garage...no more mouse! If you don't like cats, you can ask a friend for some used cat litter to place in trays to set around the garage. Mice have an excellent sense of smell and if they smell a cat/cat excrement, they will vacate the area.

Not sure if that is true. I have two cats and just had to pay a pretty hefty sum at the mechanic. Mice had removed stuffing from God only knows where and made a nest inside my car, chewed wires, hid food. There were SO many corn kernels in my engine block!!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,674
    maybe ill do that.

With a humane trap, I plan on taking the mice to a wooded area, probably a few miles away.

I wouldnt mind a snap trap so much or something that causes immediate death. I just cant torture. I am distraught this happened once. Itll be worse when I know what will happen and I carry through with it again.

I also have to be careful due to my curious dog who likes to get into trouble.
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    You're gonna be surprised at how many mice you catch.. They reproduce really fast and move through the walls.. Two winters ago I saw what I thought was one mouse.. 12 mice later we were mouse free.. My advice, lay traps on every floor including the basement (if you have one) and once you catch them be sure to take them far from your home to a field or wooded area to free them... Keep the traps down even after you think they are all gone.
    Good Luck.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RKCNDY wrote:

Not sure if that is true. I have two cats and just had to pay a pretty hefty sum at the mechanic. Mice had removed stuffing from God only knows where and made a nest inside my car, chewed wires, hid food. There were SO many corn kernels in my engine block!!

the corn kernels were your downfall! :lol:
    I had mice because my dad gives me 50 pounds of apples every year...never had a problem till last year. Got rid of the apples, so the little guy decides to go after the dog food...chewed up the tub I had it in :x
    I brought the cats in, and no more mouse...I also left their used litter box in the garage too.

ooohhh! if you have a dog, then DO NOT get rat/mouse bait! bad bad BAD when a doggie finds it...good lord...in 1 month, the clinic I worked at had 4 cases of doggies getting into rat bait. Not a pretty sight... :(
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,695
    MayDay10 wrote:
    . I called home and asked my wife to find a way and she did not.
    That must have gone over well..."Hi honey, I was running late this morning so do you think you can kill the half dead mouse stuck to the trap in the garage and then remove the remains before I get home, it kind of creeped me out."

:mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,674
    yup. my dog ate a tray of rat poison once (at someone else's house).

I dont think he enjoyed eating the spoonful of h2O2 or having his stomach pumped later.

I would do snap-traps too. But I just know it would end up a dog trap.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Snap traps is the way to go.

I have to let my wife handle the glue traps.

The mice here laugh at the humane trap that we have. Never caught a thing. They seem pretty smart. Do anyone else's mice get progressively more comfortable with people around?
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    DewieCox wrote:
    Snap traps is the way to go.

I have to let my wife handle the glue traps.

The mice here laugh at the humane trap that we have. Never caught a thing. They seem pretty smart. Do anyone else's mice get progressively more comfortable with people around?

We tried the humane ones at first.. One of the little suckers actually chewed a hole in the back of the damn thing to get to the peanut butter.. I watched it wiggle its little mouse ass in this hole..I was in shock.. good old fashion balsa wood snap traps are the way to go..
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    MayDay10 wrote:
    maybe ill do that.

With a humane trap, I plan on taking the mice to a wooded area, probably a few miles away.

I wouldnt mind a snap trap so much or something that causes immediate death. I just cant torture. I am distraught this happened once. Itll be worse when I know what will happen and I carry through with it again.

me suggest you go further than a few miles!
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    There was a mouse that ate the felt in our piano, had some mini-mice. My dad got out the vacuum and... yeah...
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    simple solution, get a cat or borrow a friends cat.... problem solved.
  • conman wrote:

Cats like to torture mice before they kill them, so I don't think the OP wants that, lol
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    conman wrote:

Cats like to torture mice before they kill them, so I don't think the OP wants that, lol
    yes but they like to do it privately, the OP will never see it :twisted:
  • conman wrote:
    conman wrote:

yes but they like to do it privately, the OP will never see it :twisted:

Cats are rat fucks, lol
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    Cats are rat fucks, lol
    evil rat fucks..... i like it :P
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I think having a cat is the best option! :geek:

I would feel like the OP about actually killing the poor creatures in a trap. :|
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    have you considered investing in snakes
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    81 wrote:

Somehow I think having snakes in the garage might be even worse than having mice! :?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    81 wrote:

Personally I like that idea :D

They have those traps here at my office as we work in a fairly old building...If I see them I pick them up
    and toss them.

I really don't think anyone realizes when they buy them how inhumane they really are. :cry:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    D-con makes a battery operated mouse trap that kills them instantly with an electric shock-they aint cheap but they work. And dont waste your money on any of those devices that transmit sound waves-they dont work.
  • We use this humane mouse trap http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/produc ... =998031851

Although, we've had better luck catching them with Mice Cubes (also humane). I just don't like that the mouse can't turn around inside the "cube".

micecube.jpg
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half way with water (water and anti-freeze in winter) sprinkle sunflower seeds on the top of the water until covered. Mice will jump in and drown. IT's actually pretty quick and can catch many at a time.

If you have seen 1, there are at least 10 close by!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,812
    mousetrap.gif
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • mousetrap.gif

I loved that game! :D
    My last message to you ~

• mousetrapt.jpg
    My last message to you ~

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    MayDay10 wrote:
    maybe ill do that.

A field would probably be a better choice if you are concerned about the mouse's future welfare.....unless your abode is in a heavily wooded area.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.