Payton Book

Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/ ... 3282.shtml

If you havent heard yet check out the link. What do you think?

Payton was my childhood sports hero it saddens me to hear about the talk of suicide and drug use during and after his playing days. He might have had his issues in his personal life but I hope this book tells about all the good he did as well...charity..childrens hospital..etc..
"Going where the water tastes like wine!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i saw that yesterday....makes me sad. might just be my all time favorite player in any sport.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Wma31394 wrote:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/29/sports/main20113282.shtml

Payton was my childhood sports hero it saddens me to hear about the talk of suicide and drug use during and after his playing days. He might have had his issues in his personal life but I hope this book tells about all the good he did as well...charity..childrens hospital..etc..
    He was my childhood hero...
    He was the greatest player I have ever seen play the game.....
    I still have my Walter Payton scrapbook.....
    I still treasure the fact that I met him and got his autograph......
    I was sad beyond sad the day he passed.....

I wont read this book...
    I dont want to know the "facts" of his personal life....

I want to remember him as I did when I was a kid.....

Thats just me....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Wma31394 wrote:

He was my childhood hero...
    He was the greatest player I have ever seen play the game.....
    I still have my Walter Payton scrapbook.....
    I still treasure the fact that I met him and got his autograph......
    I was sad beyond sad the day he passed.....

I wont read this book...
    I dont want to know the "facts" of his personal life....

I want to remember him as I did when I was a kid.....

Thats just me....

Yea..im with you guys both (81) I was lucky enough to be around him and his family on a few occasions. I played on the same traveling club soccer team as Jarret. I am older but we used to mentor the younger teams and travel to out of state tournys with the younger guys. So we would see Sweetness from time to time and he was such a class act. Always joking...ALWAYS available for autographs and conversation.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    I didn't follow the link up above, but add my name to the Ain't-Gonna-Read-It list.

I saw an article in the Sun-Times about it today and I think I got about midway through the second paragraph before I decided I didn't even want to read an article about the book.
  • JTH wrote:
    I didn't follow the link up above, but add my name to the Ain't-Gonna-Read-It list.

I saw an article in the Sun-Times about it today and I think I got about midway through the second paragraph before I decided I didn't even want to read an article about the book.
    Exactly....

In 6th grade we had to give a 3-5 minute speech....Our 1st attempt at public speaking....We could talk about anything...

My speech was on Walter Payton...

I remember the teacher asking "Who wants to go 1st"? I couldnt get to the front of that class quick enough....

That was over 30 years ago....
    I remember it like it was yesterday.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Wma31394 wrote:

It sounds like the book talks about all the great things that Payton did too.

Pearlman is a great writer. His books about the 86 Mets and early 90s Cowboys are awesome!
    Wma31394 wrote:

It sounds like the book talks about all the great things that Payton did too.

Pearlman is a great writer. His books about the 86 Mets and early 90s Cowboys are awesome!

I did hear he said he felt bad exposing all these things...but he set out to give a "true biography" and I guess you have to tell the good and bad. My view of the guy will never change..hell we all have vices. I wont read it either though.
  • I won't read it. He is such a hero here in Chicago, and will always be known as Sweetness to me.

Well, they call me Sweetness,
    And I like to dance.
    Runnin' the ball is like makin' romance.
    We've had the goal since training camp
    To give Chicago a Super Bowl Champ.
    And we're not doin' this
    Because we're greedy.
    The Bears are doin' it to feed the needy.
    We didn't come here to look for trouble,
    We just came here to do
    The Super Bowl Shuffle.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i don't get it. some of you can't or won't (whatever it is) read a book on walter payton's life. so what he had some bad things goin on from time to time. why can't you folks who decline a real read read the fuckin thing?

that'd be like some mega pearl jam fans declining to read ed's biography when he is gone...

"i can't read about ed's drinking and whatever demons the man may have had...i think i'll run away from truth for awhile...maybe for forever" - some pearl jam fan
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    i don't get it. some of you can't or won't (whatever it is) read a book on walter payton's life. so what he had some bad things goin on from time to time. why can't you folks who decline a real read read the fuckin thing?

that'd be like some mega pearl jam fans declining to read ed's biography when he is gone...

"i can't read about ed's drinking and whatever demons the man may have had...i think i'll run away from truth for awhile...maybe for forever" - some pearl jam fan

fair point....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

fair point....
    Yeah, fair point. But guess what. I have no interest in reading something like that, either. I don't see it as running away from the truth. I just don't necessarily enjoy learning about all the sordid details of someone's life.
  • chadwick wrote:

I think the difference may come down to the field they were in. With Rock N Roll, I expect the sex and the drugs to go along with it. Payton was a sports legend, kids STILL run up and down Payton Hill to be like him. I know he was human. In this situation, and in my real life sometimes, it's easier to not acknowledge the painful stuff, so that this person can remain your hero. It may not be the healthiest way to look at things, but for me, its easier.
  • chadwick wrote:

You must not be from Chicago. Fans of the Bears, and especially the players on the 85 Bears are a different breed. Its almost a sickness, they believe that the people on that team are godly, above the law. They don't want anything to EVER take away from what they believe was the greatest moment and greatest players in the history of the earth.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:

You must not be from Chicago. Fans of the Bears, and especially the players on the 85 Bears are a different breed. Its almost a sickness, they believe that the people on that team are godly, above the law. They don't want anything to EVER take away from what they believe was the greatest moment and greatest players in the history of the earth.

which is dumb actually

so you're saying they have to cling to someone in a similar fashion as, say, someone who clings to religion out of their own lack of whatever it is they are lacking? (say self esteem)

strange bunch to my notion.

my deal is i don't really have a favorite anything, never really have. so i don't get the whole supporting sports teams and players to the level of god like. they are grown children playing with a ball for christ sakes.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:

Exactly. I love the Bears and I love Walter Payton, but it won't stop me from reading this book. If you're over 18 and still look up to these athletes like they are heroes and can do no wrong, it's kinda sad.
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

which is dumb actually

so you're saying they have to cling to someone in a similar fashion as, say, someone who clings to religion out of their own lack of whatever it is they are lacking? (say self esteem)

strange bunch to my notion.

my deal is i don't really have a favorite anything, never really have. so i don't get the whole supporting sports teams and players to the level of god like. they are grown children playing with a ball for christ sakes.

I simply said I wouldnt read since I really dont really read books...Im too busy reading what chadwick, from up my ass, is writing on pearl jam message boards. Ive had the PJ20 book since it came out and I havent touched it yet.
    da coach's take on the author and the book..funny.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... pearlman/1
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Wma31394 wrote:

Nice!

While I'm not going to read the book, I don't see why people are so upset. The guy had in inner demons, which a lot of people do. That doesn't really bother me so much. Despite his depression, he still was one of the nicest, caring, and great public figures of our generation. Not only is it rare to find such a standout character, but one who was a professional athlete!
    Every famous athlete has his off the field/court/rink issues. What stands out to me is what they did with their fame...and what Payton did was very admirable!
  • mca47 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

Nice!

While I'm not going to read the book, I don't see why people are so upset. The guy had in inner demons, which a lot of people do. That doesn't really bother me so much. Despite his depression, he still was one of the nicest, caring, and great public figures of our generation. Not only is it rare to find such a standout character, but one who was a professional athlete!
    Every famous athlete has his off the field/court/rink issues. What stands out to me is what they did with their fame...and what Payton did was very admirable!

Oh man, you should hear all of these meathead idiots calling into sports radio around here this week. It's insane. While I was too young to remember Payton's playing days, I still know he's one of the best players ever. Just because some book might not paint him in the brightest picture isn't going to change my opinion of him. Look at MJ, he was a degenerate gambler who had a different woman in every city he went to...doesn't change the fact that he's the best basketball player ever.
    Oh man, you should hear all of these meathead idiots calling into sports radio around here this week. It's insane. While I was too young to remember Payton's playing days, I still know he's one of the best players ever. Just because some book might not paint him in the brightest picture isn't going to change my opinion of him. Look at MJ, he was a degenerate gambler who had a different woman in every city he went to...doesn't change the fact that he's the best basketball player ever.
    Oh, man... I can only imagine. Thankfully, I started avoiding ESPN & The Score a few months back (mainly due to the miserable baseball season and the NFL lockout) and I haven't gotten back into it at all.

I started paying attention to the NFL in 1981 so I was actually around to see some great players like Payton, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett and Billy Sims. (And a hell of a lot of good non-running backs as well.) I'll spare you the old "today's NFL players couldn't hold these guys' jocks" spiel but I'm glad I got to see those guys play.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The author makes a hell of a good point. Read the damn book before you make your judgments. I'm not judging him or the book. I just know that I'm not interested in reading it.
  • Why yes, I am stuck here and nothing is gonna sway me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XxW4xTdg1I
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282

I can only imagine those calls! Nothing worse than sports talk radio!

MJ is also a bad tipper too. :lol:
    My bro was a manager of a restaurant in Chicago for a number of years. MJ came in all the time. He'd make demands that he was to get his own private room, they'd let him smoke his cigars in the restaurant despite the fact that nobody else could, he'd treat the staff like shit, he refused to meet with anyone "public", he'd demand to not use a public bathroom, he'd run up a tab of say $1200 and then leave a $10 bill as a tip when he left.
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    mca47 wrote:

I can only imagine those calls! Nothing worse than sports talk radio!

MJ is also a bad tipper too. :lol:
    My bro was a manager of a restaurant in Chicago for a number of years. MJ came in all the time. He'd make demands that he was to get his own private room, they'd let him smoke his cigars in the restaurant despite the fact that nobody else could, he'd treat the staff like shit, he refused to meet with anyone "public", he'd demand to not use a public bathroom, he'd run up a tab of say $1200 and then leave a $10 bill as a tip when he left.

I always thought that Scottie "no Tippin" Pippin was the bad tipper from the Bulls teams of the 90s.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    With all the evidence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy found in former professional athletes, a book revealing a retired player behaved in an unbecoming manner in retirement may say less about the man himself than it does the condition of being a retired NFL player.

I don't think I'll read the book, but if that's "the dirt" on him (he used drugs and talked of killing himself in the years following his retirement? Gasp!!), it hardly tarnishes the man himself.

Dave Duerson shot himself through the chest for crying out load, all so the medical community had one more whole brain to study.
  • PJ-Cubs wrote:

I always thought that Scottie "no Tippin" Pippin was the bad tipper from the Bulls teams of the 90s.

Thats what I thought too. I've actually heard a few stories of MJ being quite generous.
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

Thats what I thought too. I've actually heard a few stories of MJ being quite generous.
    "No Tippin' Pippen" -- I've heard this from lots of people. I never heard anything of the sort about MJ.
    SI had an article in the most recent edition on payton...i assume it was some sort of preview.

i read the article.

if i see the book at the store, i'll check it out.

i'm also going to drive by his house, just to take a look....it's like 6 miles from my place.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    SI had an article in the most recent edition on payton...i assume it was some sort of preview.

i read the article.

i'm also going to drive by his house, just to take a look....it's like 6 miles from my place.

Still the mudhank address?
    JTH wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

"No Tippin' Pippen" -- I've heard this from lots of people. I never heard anything of the sort about MJ.

True story..pippen have me a $20 to watch his car at the old berto center the day they cleaned their lockers out after the first title in 91. He had to run back in for something. All his personals were in there..warmup gear..jerseys..I should have jetted with it!! :lol:
    Wma31394 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i read the article.

Still the mudhank address?

yes...although the SI article made it sound like they sold it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg