Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    A second-rate sport sabotages itself further into obscurity. What a fucking joke.
    I wish the bar, restaurant and local businesses that count on the business of hockey fans would sue the NHL for damages. Maybe the greedy owners and Gary Bettman would push to resolve this since they definetely don't seem to care about us fans. This is really unfortunate because coming off of last year, the NHL was in a great place.
    Can't believe the Winter Classic is cancelled. Can't believe its friggin November and there's no NHL...
    This lockout will hurt the NHL for sure when it decides to come back. All those casual fans that got into the awesome playoffs and Cup last year are gonezo - and ain't coming back anytime soon. What a gosh darn shame.
    :cry:
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/11/02 ... r-classic/

You say the Winter Classic is cancelled?

I say the heck with the NHL.

Who needs it?

Let’s show the players and the owners that we mean business, too.

Forget about Michigan Stadium. Let’s rent the rink at Lanspeary Park on New Year’s Day. We’ll throw all the sticks in the centre ice circle, split up into two teams, don blue or red sweaters and play our own outdoor game.

We’ll call it the Windsor Classic and if it’s a go, I’ll guarantee up front that no one will be locked out.

Who’s with me?

The glory that was supposed to be the Detroit Red Wings versus the Toronto Maple Leafs on a temporary outdoor ice surface Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium is the latest casualty in this ongoing game of chicken between the NHL and NHLPA.

“The logistical demands for staging events of this magnitude made (this) decision unavoidable,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. “We simply are out of time.”

This year’s game was expected to establish a world-record attendance for a hockey game of 120,000. It might have turned out to be the most-watched hockey game in the history of television. The romantic quality of the Winter Classic caused those who would normally click the remote as quickly as possible past a hockey game to tune in and check of the action. The behind the scenes HBO 24/7 show the last two years brought in even more viewers to hockey that generally could care less about the sport.

For one day, hockey wasn’t a niche sport in the United States, it was mainstream. Last year’s game between the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers drew better ratings than all but one of the six Stanley Cup final contests between the Los Angeles Kings and New Jersey Devils.

On top of that, it’s a huge money maker for the league, and only figured to grow into even more of a cash cow with carnival atmosphere created by the two-week Dec. 16-31 Winter Festival at Comerica Park in downtown Detroit.

Two Leafs-Wings alumni games, an AHL game between the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies, the NCAA Great Lakes Invitational tournament and OHL games featuring the Plymouth Whalers, London Knights, Saginaw Spirit and Windsor Spitfires were also scrubbed via Friday’s announcement, as were several youth and high school games.

Some estimates suggested that the entire two-week long festival could generate as much as $75-100 million for the NHL and the struggling city of Detroit. Certainly, there would also be a positive spinoff in terms of tourism dollars for Windsor.

“It’s sad,” Red Wings defenceman Ian White said. “I was really looking forward to playing in that game.

“The state of Michigan was thrilled to have to it. It would have been a great event.”

University of Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon confirmed that between 80-90,000 tickets had already been sold for the Jan. 1 game.

Instead, there will be no game and some wonder whether the NHL can recover from its latest public relations disaster.

“I think to this point we’ve already had some damage that won’t be able to be undone to our sport,” White said. “They just continue to pile it on.

“It actually embarrasses me as a player. You go out in public, people view us differently.”

The NHL confirmed the entire program will simply be moved back a year and are encouraging ticket buyers to retain their packages for 2014.

Don’t do it.

The two sides in this dispute are taking you for granted, assuming no matter what they do front this point forward, Leafs and Wings fans will still flock like sheep to the 2104 game.

You want to show the NHL who’s boss?

Just say no. Stay home next year. Watch the game on TV. Don’t buy any NHL merchandise.

Imagine the Leafs and Wings outdoors, and no fans in the Big House, no crowd noise in the stands.

It would be poetic justice.

It would be nice if everyone returned their packages for this years winter classic and no packages got sold for 2014...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    NHL LOCKOUT
    Owners inject some hope with concession in ‘make-whole’ provision

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le4899178/
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,617
    apparently Daly and Steve Fehr met into the early hours of the morning. There are talks planned for early this week. The lack of rhetoric in the media right now looks positive.
  • Options
    When it gets settled the sheeple will show up spend a small fortune on owners/players that don't give rats ass about fans :D:D:D:D:D. Not me I'll check the scores on ESPN and that includes the playoffs...the most ridiculous sport out their...they treat their fans like dirt and sheeple will continue to show up :lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    today is the biggest day to date, and the first real possibility of moving forward.

They are meeting and no/little news will be good news
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    lukin2006 wrote:
    When it gets settled the sheeple will show up spend a small fortune on owners/players that don't give rats ass about fans :D:D:D:D:D. Not me I'll check the scores on ESPN and that includes the playoffs...the most ridiculous sport out their...they treat their fans like dirt and sheeple will continue to show up :lol::lol::lol:
    does it matter? c'mon man, sheeple? :roll:
    It's a product, and the nhl has a monopoly on the best players in the world.
    it's not like this is a brand of soap, or movie studio that we can boycott and still have a legit option for a similar product. If we want to watch the best hockey on the planet, we have to suck it up and go back.
    In the end....what corporation gives a shit about their customers? They ALL care only about profit. We would have to boycott pretty much fucking everything if the level of care for customers is what determined whether we use a product or not.
    Personally....I don't expect them to care about the fans...and I will follow the oilers when they come back. this is not the issue that's going to make me take a big stand against the man...I can think of much better things to boycott and get all indignant about.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it's not like this is a brand of soap, or movie studio that we can boycott and still have a legit option for a similar product. If we want to watch the best hockey on the planet, we have to suck it up and go back.
    In the end....what corporation gives a shit about their customers? They ALL care only about profit. We would have to boycott pretty much fucking everything if the level of care for customers is what determined whether we use a product or not.
    Personally....I don't expect them to care about the fans...and I will follow the oilers when they come back. this is not the issue that's going to make me take a big stand against the man...I can think of much better things to boycott and get all indignant about.

you can still watch ... it just means not spending money on tickets, merchandise or concessions ... watch it at a bar like we've suggested ... support the businesses that are affected ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

you can still watch ... it just means not spending money on tickets, merchandise or concessions ... watch it at a bar like we've suggested ... support the businesses that are affected ...
    Ya, that works for me....I've never spent money on games or merch.....(I don't really know anyone who spends their own money on hockey tickets)
    beer at the concessions is all they really get out of me....I mentioned earlier, I will still use company tickets if they're offered to me...I will just sneak my own booze in ;)
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    I hope they have something done by the end of the week and we may get Dec. 1 games. Thank goodness for college hockey keeping the no hockey desperation at bay.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    Two straight days of talks, with more scheduled today.....
    There is an article in the National Post saying they spent 5.5 hrs in meetings yesterday, and 7 hours on tuesday....
    As much as that makes me hopeful....my first reaction to hearing that is....why tf did it take until November for this to happen? The previous CBA expiry date was known since.....um....it was created....right?
    Lets hope they get this done...I've heard rumours that they have a 60 game schedule ready to go for Dec.1, after training camps. I'm guessing if they announced it soon they might be able to salvage the winter classic.
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Tmy first reaction to hearing that is....why tf did it take until November for this to happen? The previous CBA expiry date was known since.....um....it was created....right?

Exactly. All I can think is, "Thanks for finally addressing the issues, assholes!"
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    There is an article in the National Post saying they spent 5.5 hrs in meetings yesterday, and 7 hours on tuesday....
    As much as that makes me hopeful....my first reaction to hearing that is....why tf did it take until November for this to happen? The previous CBA expiry date was known since.....um....it was created....right?
    Lets hope they get this done...I've heard rumours that they have a 60 game schedule ready to go for Dec.1, after training camps. I'm guessing if they announced it soon they might be able to salvage the winter classic.

i think because the owners thought they could break the union and so weren't really interested in negotiations ... i think the fact they aren't necessarily winning the PR war and that everyone has turned on Bettman is motivating them slightly ...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,766
    drivingrl wrote:
    Tmy first reaction to hearing that is....why tf did it take until November for this to happen? The previous CBA expiry date was known since.....um....it was created....right?

Exactly. All I can think is, "Thanks for finally addressing the issues, assholes!"

Yep. It's pretty fucking ridiculous that these talks weren't taking place in August and September.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

i think because the owners thought they could break the union and so weren't really interested in negotiations ... i think the fact they aren't necessarily winning the PR war and that everyone has turned on Bettman is motivating them slightly ...

I dont think everyone turned on Bettman, and I think the players were losing big on the PR battle. People hate Bettman, but those people have had the same view forever.

the rumors are some owners are putting pressure on Bettman/Jacobs to get a deal done, and a lot of B and C level players are leaning on the Fehrs now.

both sides realize that this is the time to negotiate and posturing is over.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i sure would like to go home tonight, crack a beer, flip on a flyers game, and put my feet up.

fuckers.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    81 wrote:
    i sure would like to go home tonight, crack a beer, flip on a flyers game, and put my feet up.

fuckers.

i would even welcome a flyers game right now
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I dont think everyone turned on Bettman, and I think the players were losing big on the PR battle. People hate Bettman, but those people have had the same view forever.

the rumors are some owners are putting pressure on Bettman/Jacobs to get a deal done, and a lot of B and C level players are leaning on the Fehrs now.

i dunno ... the PA have been wanting to meet since the counter-offered the owners "last offer" ... it's been the NHL who have refused to meet until now ...
  • Options
    NHL LABOUR WOES
    NHL lockout talks could hit a snag

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/11/08/nhl-l ... hit-a-snag

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

i dunno ... the PA have been wanting to meet since the counter-offered the owners "last offer" ... it's been the NHL who have refused to meet until now ...

thats what people in the know have said.

like K Paul Dumont from the Globe

@GlobeKPD: Some agents, and some B- and C-list NHLers now making their frustration clear to NHLPA. Eager to play. Eager for pay.

they were also about to miss their 3rd paycheck.

I think people on both sides are putting pressure on their 'negotiators' to start making progress.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Just get it done already!!!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    thats what people in the know have said.

like K Paul Dumont from the Globe

@GlobeKPD: Some agents, and some B- and C-list NHLers now making their frustration clear to NHLPA. Eager to play. Eager for pay.

they were also about to miss their 3rd paycheck.

I think people on both sides are putting pressure on their 'negotiators' to start making progress.

sure ... but if the PA asked the owners to meet 3 weeks ago and they refuse ... not sure they could do anything else ...

either way - at least it looks like they are negotiating ...
  • Options
    NHL LABOUR WOES
    NHLPA memo says a new CBA not close with NHL

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2012/11/ ... e-with-nhl

• Options
    doesnt sound like much is getting done other than both sides negotiating off their own proposals/visions.

Oh well. Ill live
  • Options
    #IsItOctober2013Yet ?
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    I still got the OHL

200px-NiagaraIceDogs.PNG
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I still got the OHL

200px-NiagaraIceDogs.PNG

My alternatives are: Mavericks, Cowboys, and Rangers. None of which are acceptable, and all of which are terrible alternatives.

Fuck my life. I need to move. :fp:

Next!"
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,766
    MayDay10 wrote:
    doesnt sound like much is getting done other than both sides negotiating off their own proposals/visions.

Oh well. Ill live

Yeah, doesn't sound like much progress has been made with all of these meetings. If these talks break off with nothing agreed on, you can kiss this season goodbye.
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 895
    Greedy fucks
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I still got the OHL

200px-NiagaraIceDogs.PNG

OHL is great hockey ... i'm 5 minutes away from Windsor Spitfire games ... unfortunately they don't play a lot of Saturday night home games.