Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Jason P said:

This will be the Magic Man's last playoff run with Detroit. He's going back to mother Russia.

:bawling: please don't remind me

Yeah I'm a little envious I think the wings actually have the easiest matchup. It's basically totally a product of lucky circumstances but it still sucks. Rangers play probably the best team in the East I think

Agreed!
    mrussel1 said:

FoxyRedLa said:

There were 2 spots open in the Eastern conference. Wings Bruins Flyers. Wings and Bruins were 93 points. Flyers 92. Both Wings and Bruins lost on Sat. WINGS have more regulation wins!!!!

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

Lmao! Squeezed in again! 1st round against the lightening again. Can't wait!

That's a good draw. The Lightning are really beat up. Tyler Johnson went down this weekend and may not be ready for the start. Throw in no Stamkos and Stralman. The Bolts are limping down the stretch...
    Also agreed!

I think the Wings are gonna go all the way this year! Wish I could make a game - gonna really try!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    ^ Oh you have to! Could be your last chance at the Joe!
  • Options
    Yes! Gonna try to hit a home game.

Pffft. Detroit Events Center. Apparently is the name while it's being constructed. Lol I don't even know if it has an official name. But they are saying the start of next season will be at the new arena.
  • Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243
    Jason P said:

jms said:

I think Nashville has a decent shot vs Anaheim but I'm not happy about the start times. 930 face off on a Sunday is too late and our first home game is 830 on a Tuesday.

That's why I'm so happy that Detroit switched to the eastern conference. Playoff games starting at 10:30 are complete B.S.

I would give anything to move to the east. The ones that start at 930 and go multiple OTs are just brutal. The only good part about Nashville playoff schedule is no games the 26th or 28th so I won't miss a game for PJ in Lexington or Neil Young in Nashville.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    As a Kings fan that moved east I know the pain. Watch the start of regular season games except on the weekends...and playoffs absolutely ruin sleep. 10:30 starts eat dick. BUT -- this is what being a fan is all about. The bonus is that the house is quiet, my wife & kids are asleep, I can drink a few beers and shout (quietly) at the TV.
    This year an added bonus is that I can watch the Flyers games with my wife (she is a Flyers fan) and then my game after. Playoff hockey = awesome.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783

As a Kings fan that moved east I know the pain. Watch the start of regular season games except on the weekends...and playoffs absolutely ruin sleep. 10:30 starts eat dick. BUT -- this is what being a fan is all about. The bonus is that the house is quiet, my wife & kids are asleep, I can drink a few beers and shout (quietly) at the TV.
    This year an added bonus is that I can watch the Flyers games with my wife (she is a Flyers fan) and then my game after. Playoff hockey = awesome.

Playoff hockey is the best. This is the time of year where I fall asleep on the couch a lot watching a west coast games and waking up at 2-3am all confused. I even fell asleep during a Blackhawks playoff game last year that went to 3OT....getting old.
  • Options
    :lol: haha I always think of Big Daddy! It's impossible to be quiet while watching hockey - kudos to you if you can pull it off!

Head coaches and GM's are dropping like flies! Who's next.....?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    Well, you gotta think Julien is toast

Anyways. Im thinking it is finally St. Louis' year. St. Louis over Washington
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Julien has coached a lot and has been with Boston a while. I'm sure if they let him go he'll get picked up.
    Post edited by FoxyRedLa on
  • Options
    Honestly I don't think Julien's the one to blame. I can see him getting fired, but you've got to look at their GM and the ones making moves. They traded away Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton and so far have very little to show for it. Their team hasn't improved at all and they've lost a top player in the league and a very good defenseman
  • Options
    Honestly. Look at the Leafs....they came in what last in the Atlantic division - had he stuck with the Wings he'd be headed back to the playoffs again. Does that mean Babs should be canned...? Doesn't seem realistic to me and he was obviously sought after.
  • Options
    Babcock won't get fired. Under probably any circumstance imaginable lol. That guy's job might be the most secure job in the league.

But thinking about Boston - how did they fuck it all up? Think of what they could have had right now - a forward core of seguin, bergeron, krejci, then lucic and marchand who scored freaking 37 goals this year. Dougie Hamilton on their defense, johnny boychuk and torrey krug. Rask in net.
    They could have been like chicago east albeit more physical than finesse. I also get that keeping all those guys and Chara is maybe next to impossible but come on you do what it takes to keep a player like seguin. What were they thinking?!!?!
  • Options
    Right. I was just trying to compare - if they're trying to say it's cuz they didn't make the playoffs.

I haven't been following Boston but agree it doesn't appear coach is the problem. Gotta love politics!
  • Options
    Ultimately, in the modern day, head coaches in the NHL are disposable, probably moreso than any other major sport. They have a shelf life... Even top ones like Ruff, Hitchcock, Trotz, and Babcock. Even the best ones get tuned out. There are more capable head coaches than positions. Sometimes, teams need to play the card and change the voice. If you have a hard-ass... sometimes its good to get a players' coach and visa-versa. Its not really like the NFL where you have a coaching staff and you are married to a system. Everything is translatable.

The Bruins petered out at the end... and last season suffered from inconsistency and missed. This is a team whose window is closing (if it hasnt closed) and they cant decide if they are rebuilding or going for it. They need better organizational direction from Neely/Sweeney. I think they need to act now and tear it down, maximize returns in prospects and picks and cap space.

Julien will get more work for sure. Boston is probably going to get rid of him to throw their fans a bone and also maybe try to shoot some vinegar into the team to try for one more run at it (which is probably foolish as the team is critically flawed IMO). I think the delay may possibly be due to the fact that there really arent any 'name' candidates out there who are capable and the fanbase would get excited for.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    FoxyRedLa said:

Jason P said:

This will be the Magic Man's last playoff run with Detroit. He's going back to mother Russia.

:bawling: please don't remind me

Yeah I'm a little envious I think the wings actually have the easiest matchup. It's basically totally a product of lucky circumstances but it still sucks. Rangers play probably the best team in the East I think

Agreed!
    mrussel1 said:

FoxyRedLa said:

There were 2 spots open in the Eastern conference. Wings Bruins Flyers. Wings and Bruins were 93 points. Flyers 92. Both Wings and Bruins lost on Sat. WINGS have more regulation wins!!!!

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

Lmao! Squeezed in again! 1st round against the lightening again. Can't wait!

That's a good draw. The Lightning are really beat up. Tyler Johnson went down this weekend and may not be ready for the start. Throw in no Stamkos and Stralman. The Bolts are limping down the stretch...
    Also agreed!

I think the Wings are gonna go all the way this year! Wish I could make a game - gonna really try!
    Wings all the way this year - my NHL Bracket agrees HA!

Go Wings Go!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Hear hear!! Game nite!! :smiley:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Start it up!
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    GO TIME!
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,967
    FUCKING RIGHT, GO PENS!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    what are these 'playoff' things?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    who the cuss do I cheer for? ... as a life long suffering leaf fan - i usually cheer for the other canadian teams (even the habs and senators - call me a fraud) ...
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

who the cuss do I cheer for? ... as a life long suffering leaf fan - i usually cheer for the other canadian teams (even the habs and senators - call me a fraud) ...

I would say the Kings but you probably blame us (blame Janet!) for The Great One leaving.

Perhaps the team with the most Canadian born players?

This is a wholly unscientific survey using ESPN/NHL.com.
    The biggest issue with this survey is that some teams have more players listed on their roster due to injuries. (Example the Kings had Jordan Nolan (St. Catharines, Ontario) who is injured and will not play in the playoffs....and some teams listed 4 Goalies, as if they would ever carry that on their official roster heading into playoffs.)

So these numbers are suspect.

Nonetheless, here you are:

Islanders 18
    Panthers 17
    Blues 16
    Ducks 15
    Flyers 15
    Kings 14 (13 I can say will be in the lineup tomorrow for opening game)
    Stars 14
    Sharks 13
    Wild 11
    Preds 11
    Rangers 11
    Penguins 11
    Caps 10
    Blackhawks 10
    Red Wings 8
    Lightning 8

I know this is the first year that Canadian born players officially made up less than 50% of the players in the NHL...but how the hell can a team with 8 Canadians on it expect to win the cup?

Sorry to Wings and Bolts fans, but you are toast. :lol:

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

I would say the Kings but you probably blame us (blame Janet!) for The Great One leaving.

Perhaps the team with the most Canadian born players?

This is a wholly unscientific survey using ESPN/NHL.com.
    The biggest issue with this survey is that some teams have more players listed on their roster due to injuries. (Example the Kings had Jordan Nolan (St. Catharines, Ontario) who is injured and will not play in the playoffs....and some teams listed 4 Goalies, as if they would ever carry that on their official roster heading into playoffs.)

So these numbers are suspect.

Nonetheless, here you are:

Islanders 18
    Panthers 17
    Blues 16
    Ducks 15
    Flyers 15
    Kings 14 (13 I can say will be in the lineup tomorrow for opening game)
    Stars 14
    Sharks 13
    Wild 11
    Preds 11
    Rangers 11
    Penguins 11
    Caps 10
    Blackhawks 10
    Red Wings 8
    Lightning 8

I know this is the first year that Canadian born players officially made up less than 50% of the players in the NHL...but how the hell can a team with 8 Canadians on it expect to win the cup?

Sorry to Wings and Bolts fans, but you are toast. :lol:

ever since 99 decided it was cool to pimp for our fascist ex-prime minister I decided he'd be better off wearing the stars and stripes ... hahaha

might see how the playoff pool draft goes at lunch to decide ... :blush:
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

Im in the same boat. Usually I default to one of the Western Canadian teams... or even sometimes Montreal in the East...

I think I am pulling for St. Louis. Longest cup 'drought', having never won it (not counting Minnesota but they would be tied and not counting the Leafs who won it as St Louis was born). Long time franchise without much playoff success but good regular season success.

Plus, I picked them in my pool
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

polaris_x said:

Im in the same boat. Usually I default to one of the Western Canadian teams... or even sometimes Montreal in the East...

I think I am pulling for St. Louis. Longest cup 'drought', having never won it (not counting Minnesota but they would be tied and not counting the Leafs who won it as St Louis was born). Long time franchise without much playoff success but good regular season success.

Youre in the same state as the rangers man what gives! Lol
    I may have to wear my Lundqvist jersey tonight - into the home of a penguins cup winning goalie. Should go over well
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

polaris_x said:

I may have to wear my Lundqvist jersey tonight - into the home of a penguins cup winning goalie. Should go over well
    Barrasso?
  • Options
    I hate the Rangers and any NYC sports team. Used to have a soft spot for the Islanders but that left with their move to Brooklyn
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

polaris_x said:

Barrasso?
    Frank Pietrangelo. His son's one of my good buddies
  • Options
    Ahhh, The Save, I forgot all about that.