Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    The NHL has been allowing these cross checks all playoffs.  It’s not right.  I hate the hacking and whacking that the league allows…Chris Lee was looking directly at the cross check and did not call anything…Lee is a terrible ref.  Games 3 and 4 into Montreal with Lee were a joke…on both sides.

I would say maybe it’s time that the leagues GMs met this summer to figure this out…but I think the GMs know their teams and even though players bitch about non calls, the player prefer to play 5 on 5 hockey…we will see who refs game 7.  I have heard nada about any Kuching updates for games 7.  All anyone can do is speculate that it’s more than just bruised ribs…
    Do they weed out refs for the finals? And only give those assignments to better refs? 
    I  assumed that's what they already did.  Football and baseball do it that way,  based on their performance during the regular season. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Nothing better than game 7…unless your team is involved…lol
    The Mayfield cross check was a bit dirty but that didn’t affect the outcome the Isles never give up, game 7 anything is possible man what a series..
    It took Kucherov out of the game. He played one shift. I would say taking out the leading points man in the NHL the last two years affects the game. 
    Was it the cross check that took Kuch out? Or the hit by Barzel…it looked like kuch,s shoulder might have been banged up?
    He went to hit Barzal after the check and had no force. I think he was hurt already.  If you go back to 20 second earlier,  he got mauled in the back.  I'm 99% sure it was the Mayfield cross check.  It was right in the ribs. 
    Yeah I thought the same thing, Mayfield may dirty but not Dale Hunter dirty, but still the isles were down 2-0 and came back to tie it up 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The Mayfield cross check was a bit dirty but that didn’t affect the outcome the Isles never give up, game 7 anything is possible man what a series..
    It took Kucherov out of the game. He played one shift. I would say taking out the leading points man in the NHL the last two years affects the game. 
    Was it the cross check that took Kuch out? Or the hit by Barzel…it looked like kuch,s shoulder might have been banged up?
    He went to hit Barzal after the check and had no force. I think he was hurt already.  If you go back to 20 second earlier,  he got mauled in the back.  I'm 99% sure it was the Mayfield cross check.  It was right in the ribs. 
    Yeah I thought the same thing, Mayfield may dirty but not Dale Hunter dirty, but still the isles were down 2-0 and came back to tie it up 
    I'll give you that.. he's not Dale Hunter or Claude Lemieux.  Isles played hard, I'm not taking anything away from them.  The officiating is just bad though.  Very inconsistent and the crosses are just completely out of control.  I'll be pissed if the Lightning lose Friday as I think they are the best team in hockey.  I'm biased, but not blind. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The NHL has been allowing these cross checks all playoffs.  It’s not right.  I hate the hacking and whacking that the league allows…Chris Lee was looking directly at the cross check and did not call anything…Lee is a terrible ref.  Games 3 and 4 into Montreal with Lee were a joke…on both sides.

I would say maybe it’s time that the leagues GMs met this summer to figure this out…but I think the GMs know their teams and even though players bitch about non calls, the player prefer to play 5 on 5 hockey…we will see who refs game 7.  I have heard nada about any Kuching updates for games 7.  All anyone can do is speculate that it’s more than just bruised ribs…
    Do they weed out refs for the finals? And only give those assignments to better refs? 
    Yes.  The NHL is meritocracy when hanging out assignments…Chris Lee has never worked a Stanley Cup finals game…rumour is that Wes  McCauley will be available for the final…He is a good ref.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'll give you that.. he's not Dale Hunter or Claude Lemieux.  Isles played hard, I'm not taking anything away from them.  The officiating is just bad though.  Very inconsistent and the crosses are just completely out of control.  I'll be pissed if the Lightning lose Friday as I think they are the best team in hockey.  I'm biased, but not blind. 
    Agreed 
  • Options

Yes.  The NHL is meritocracy when hanging out assignments…Chris Lee has never worked a Stanley Cup finals game…rumour is that Wes  McCauley will be available for the final…He is a good ref.
    Oh good yeah can’t stand inconsistency!
  • Options

Oh good yeah can’t stand inconsistency!
    And these are the best they have.....
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Isles will wear you down.  That is their style of hockey.  They play physical and Tampa tries to be a bully but it isn't working.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Isles will wear you down.  That is their style of hockey.  They play physical and Tampa tries to be a bully but it isn't working.
    Cross checking in teh back away from the play is their style of hockey?  Tampa tries to be a bully and it isn't working?  I think you're watching a different series than me. 
  • Options
    What I can’t stand is players that cough up the puck in front of the goalie that allowed the Islanders scored.  I remember a time when
    that was a no no…Montreal was the 1st team to do that consistently back in the late 70s…the difference is Montreal had Savard, LaPoint and Larry Robinson doing it…no team in today’s NHL have a trio of defensemen of that caliber.  But it’s a big part of the game today…play the puck along the boards…

This will Tampa’s 1st game 7 in 3 years…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    What I can’t stand is players that cough up the puck in front of the goalie that allowed the Islanders scored.  I remember a time when
    that was a no no…Montreal was the 1st team to do that consistently back in the late 70s…the difference is Montreal had Savard, LaPoint and Larry Robinson doing it…no team in today’s NHL have a trio of defensemen of that caliber.  But it’s a big part of the game today…play the puck along the boards…

This will Tampa’s 1st game 7 in 3 years…
    Yes, that was the problem and sometimes that's a problem with Tampa in general.  They make the extra pass, which is great in teh O zone, but not necessarily in the d zone.  That extra pass creates the turnover.  Just flip it out the boards and reset.  Very frustrating.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Cross checking in teh back away from the play is their style of hockey?  Tampa tries to be a bully and it isn't working?  I think you're watching a different series than me. 
    You don't see the physical play that Tampa is trying to impose on the Isles then you are watching something different.  From the very first game Tampa tried bullying the Isles.  The commentators even remarked how the Isles needed to be more physical and they have.

The cross checking is all around, blame the refs.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You don't see the physical play that Tampa is trying to impose on the Isles then you are watching something different.  From the very first game Tampa tried bullying the Isles.  The commentators even remarked how the Isles needed to be more physical and they have.

Yeah,  Tampa is physical.  It works,  contrary to your statement.  They just aren't as dirty as Mayfield who took out Kuch and tried to take out Stammer with the cheap head shot to the board. Or Barzal who crossed Rutta with a stick to the jaw.
  • Options

Hakstol hired as coach of expansion Kraken

Gets second NHL job with Seattle, which becomes League's 32nd team for 2021-22 season

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah,  Tampa is physical.  It works,  contrary to your statement.  They just aren't as dirty as Mayfield who took out Kuch and tried to take out Stammer with the cheap head shot to the board. Or Barzal who crossed Rutta with a stick to the jaw.
    If you thought game 6 was bad, buckle up for game 7…refs usually only call the real obvious penalties in game 7.  Just hope you don’t get Chris Lee.  And I believe the Boston coach complained about the Islanders cheap shots…so there may be something to that…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    To you islander fans, is it tradition after you stave off elimination that you toss beer cans at your team?  he he
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    To you islander fans, is it tradition after you stave off elimination that you toss beer cans at your team?  he he
    That was classless to do that I don’t understand fans doing it! 
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 692
    Good for Montreal for pulling it out again!
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Who would have called the habs in the final. Nuts.

• Options
    Montreal punched their ticket to the finals…another OT win, 5-1 in OT games and 13 games not allowing a power play goal…that record may never get broken.

It’s such a privilege to play for the Stanley Cup.  It is simply the hardest trophy in sports to win.

Vegas’s top 6 forwards had 1 goal in the series I believe…wow.

It was also a big holiday in Quebec, St. John The Baptist Day…

GO HABS GO
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Congrats, Canadiens. At least Vegas played hard in Game 6.

Lehner was fine but I wonder about the Fluery/DeBoer dynamic.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Vegas Congrats on a good season.  You got a hell of a team…no quit.

This is the 1st time Montreal has won the Clarence Campbell Trophy.

Game 7 prediction…3-2 Islanders.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Vegas Congrats on a good season.  You got a hell of a team…no quit.

This is the 1st time Montreal has won the Clarence Campbell Trophy.

Game 7 prediction…3-2 Islanders.
    Congrats Habs fans it’s good to see Canadiens back in the finals , I’m hoping tonight my team can advance! 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Stunner that the Habs are in the SCF but I will be rooting for Canada to raise the cup regardless of who wins Game 7.  (Would be cool to see two teams who have not been winners in decades make it through, so will be hoping for the Fishermen in G7.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Nice work by the Habs.  Price was amazing.  He's always been good, but he's been great this series.

I don't even know if I'll watch tonight.  Hate game 7's.  Lightning lost Games 6 and 7 in '17 and '18 in the ECF, so this is a bit too much deja vu for me.  FWIW, it was to the Pens and Caps who went on to win it all.   
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    C'mon, gotta watch!  (Even though it will be like walking on a path of hot coals or nails, lol)

One year I was disgusted in an elimination game and it was late here on the east coast and I went to bed.  Kings came back and won and I learned my lesson.  :lol:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    As a Habs fan, I don't know who to go for tonight.  I think the general consensus is that we have a better chance against the Islanders than Tampa, but if the Islanders can beat Tampa.....
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    Fell asleep last night after the 3rd period. Woke up just as Price was making the save with the big rebound and Montreal scoring. Stanley Cup finals are going to be fun to watch and hopefully the Habs can pull it out. There have been plenty of Canadian teams since 93 making it to the finals with no one able to clinch. 

Sidenote my son asked me last night if he could watch hockey with me since its not a school night anymore. That was a pretty cool moment for me and we will watch the first period tonight together. He is only 6 and my 5 year old wants to watch too. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Fell asleep last night after the 3rd period. Woke up just as Price was making the save with the big rebound and Montreal scoring. Stanley Cup finals are going to be fun to watch and hopefully the Habs can pull it out. There have been plenty of Canadian teams since 93 making it to the finals with no one able to clinch. 

Sidenote my son asked me last night if he could watch hockey with me since its not a school night anymore. That was a pretty cool moment for me and we will watch the first period tonight together. He is only 6 and my 5 year old wants to watch too. 
    Cool dad! 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Rygar said:
    As a Habs fan, I don't know who to go for tonight.  I think the general consensus is that we have a better chance against the Islanders than Tampa, but if the Islanders can beat Tampa.....
    How could you root for a hockey team from Florida?  C'mon man! Isles all the way!