Anybody been to Jamaica?

2»

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I went to Sandals Whitehouse last year. It was nice.
    It seems for these places, the experience is driven by the resort itself.

Tripadvisor has the most extensive travel information and reviews. Check that out.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Jamacia ... I wished I would have done a little more research before we went

I like walking the beach ... at our resort there were huge chain link fences to keep resort guests
    safe on the resort property and locals hang out on the other side of these fences
    to sell whatever
    kind of detracts from the beach experience

we also stayed at a sandals... our power went out though there was no storm

JB found a live worm in his salad

the airport, when we went in the mid 90's ... had army men with machine guns,
    also present on the streets, lots of unrest there ... maybe that is better now

positive note the great constant sea breeze, Red Stripe beer..
    which I don't hardly ever touch since but went down well, included in the resort cost
    and the staff was top notch friendly and kindhearted

beware of the drinking games they can put you on your keister

full moon over the ocean whilst having a romantic dinner on our balcony
    is a cherished memory although somewhat blurred ;)

Enjoy and congratulations!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    One year I went back with my 5yo daughter and we stayed for a week in Kingston Jamaica and we stayed at a house behind Bob Marley's family home on Hope Road. It is a museum not far from the governor's Mansion. NOW If you are very, very brave I suggest NOT to do this unless you know someone from the area.

It was cool to see the not so glitizy side of the island but we had a great time checking the history of the island such as out at Port Royal then the eastern side also. My dad is retired there how he survives their i'll never know but it's fun to go back cause he takes me everywhere. I just need to explore the western side like the parrish of Westmoreland.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I've been quite a few times and you definitely have to be smart when you're off the hotel grounds. We did a lot of stupid things there and it's a miracle nothing bad happened.

Plenty of natural beauty to see, just be safe and stay with your group or a trusted guide.
  • One thing about Jamaica, or really any poor country where tourism is so big... I found myself feeling guilty at times. On the bus from the airport to our resort, you pass miles and miles of abject poverty... Huge families sitting outside of tiny, rundown shacks, small kids selling fish along the road, etc etc... you pass all this stuff, then go through a gate and you are in some resort paradise, where you have everything you could possibly want. It's just sorta jarring to see the dichotomy that exists there, so closely together.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    One thing about Jamaica, or really any poor country where tourism is so big... I found myself feeling guilty at times. On the bus from the airport to our resort, you pass miles and miles of abject poverty... Huge families sitting outside of tiny, rundown shacks, small kids selling fish along the road, etc etc... you pass all this stuff, then go through a gate and you are in some resort paradise, where you have everything you could possibly want. It's just sorta jarring to see the dichotomy that exists there, so closely together.

Ain't that ever the truth....many times through help from my dad i find myself buying everything in sight from those who don't have much. i especially like bring and use lots of $2 bills. I have to let them know through patois that it's real money. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,532
    MayDay10 wrote:

Tripadvisor has the most extensive travel information and reviews. Check that out.

tripadvisor has the place i'm staying at as it's highest rated hotel right now in montego bay. that's why we chose it. that site is great.

my buddy and his wife stayed at whitehouse last year too. they enjoyed it
    www.myspace.com
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Wasn't all that impressed with Jamaica. It seemed to be 100 degrees at like 8am :shock: It just got too hot way too early for me. The water is nice but there just isn't much to do outside of the cliffs.

Turks and Caicos, Aruba, Cabo and Bahamas are just a few that ranked higher for me.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Bermuda is awesome ... maybe your first anniversary

pink sand beaches, the clearest water I have ever seen, English pubs galore, quaint countryside,
    very friendly locals, whistling tree frogs, stars upon stars, mopeds, and Dark 'n Stormy's ...
    heaven :D
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    One thing about Jamaica, or really any poor country where tourism is so big... I found myself feeling guilty at times. On the bus from the airport to our resort, you pass miles and miles of abject poverty... Huge families sitting outside of tiny, rundown shacks, small kids selling fish along the road, etc etc... you pass all this stuff, then go through a gate and you are in some resort paradise, where you have everything you could possibly want. It's just sorta jarring to see the dichotomy that exists there, so closely together.

I definitely had the same issue. Up in the mountains you see these insanely huge mansions and pretty much everywhere else that's not a resort it's dirt poor. There is no middle class in Jamaica - you're either crazy rich or crazy poor. It's a hard thing to see and even harder to enjoy the riches of the land when you know what's just outside the resort.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    MayDay10 wrote:

tripadvisor has the place i'm staying at as it's highest rated hotel right now in montego bay. that's why we chose it. that site is great.

my buddy and his wife stayed at whitehouse last year too. they enjoyed it

Can't go wrong with any Iberostar. We stayed at Couple Swept Away, brutal name but great great place. It was in Negril, wanted to be a little ways away from Montego Bay.