Anybody been to Jamaica?

weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Going to Jamaica on our honeymoon in early december, anybody been before? What's it like, things to do, etc....staying in Montego Bay

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    edited February 2012
    went to hedonism 15 years ago in negril ...beautiful weather but it was a sausage fest

be careful when u leave the resort

this again....but the weather is sick

otherwise not a fan...can't really leave whatever resort your're in
    Post edited by neilybabes86 on
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • rick's cafe where u jump off the cliffs is pretty cool also ..don't know how far away you are
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    yea mon twice..budapa!

pretty much just hit up the beach not much to do outside resorts.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • ya, looking forward to the beach mostly, want to try and go snorkling or some other excursion too one day.
  • I flew into Montego Bay for my honeymoon but we spent the week in Negril.

The water is beautiful, so i recommend snorkeling or scuba diving.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Hubby and I went in 2005 for our honeymoon - stayed at the Sandals in Montego Bay. We did the Dunn's River Falls waterfall hike in Ocho Rios, I HIGHLY recommend it! I've been a lot of places, but Jamaica is far and away my favorite place. Check out the Margaritaville they have - there's a 3 story slide that goes into the ocean which is pretty neat. Congrats!!

Where are you staying?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    I went and loved it. Stayed near Negril so not really near where you are. As the poster above said, I have heard great things about the falls near Ochos Rios but it was too far from us to do.

Horseback riding, cliff jumping, and sitting on the beach drinking and smoking was about all I did.
  • staying at sunset beach resort (won this part so that's why we are staying there) for a couple days then over to sandals montego bay for 4 nights to finish off the week.

heard good things about the dunns river falls but also heard it's around a 10 hour trip, not sure I want to spend that long sitting on a bus driving there
    staying at sunset beach resort (won this part so that's why we are staying there) for a couple days then over to sandals montego bay for 4 nights to finish off the week.

heard good things about the dunns river falls but also heard it's around a 10 hour trip, not sure I want to spend that long sitting on a bus driving there

10 hours sounds pretty exaggerated. I remember it taking about an hour and a half to get there, took about 3 or so hours climbing the waterfalls, then another hour and a half back.

Congrats on the win, let us know how the sunset beach resort is! The cool thing about sandals is that you can go to any of their restaurants on the island, even at different resorts, and it's all included. There was one that we went to that you could only take a boat to get there - it was Thai food if I'm not mistaken. Great food! Also, there's a little bar on the beach and they made these drinks that were called a funky monkey or something, they had chocolate, banana, and TONS of rum. MMM :D I'm so jealous, you're going to have a great time!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • went to hedonism 15 years ago in negril ...beautiful weather but it was a sausage fest

haha... hedonism... :crazy: I went there with my ex on our honeymoon, we ended up being in an "open relationship" and get this...... ready for it? now we're DIVORCED :D

oh, and to the dude goin to Jamaica; you can buy weed from the driver of the bus that goes from the airport to your resort. Or from the resort staff. $50 for a half ounce is the going rate. Just an FYI.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,532
    just booked a 5 night stay at the iberostar grand in montego bay. anyone ever stay there?

never been to jamaica before so the wife and i are super stoked to get down there. can't wait.
    www.myspace.com
    went to hedonism 15 years ago in negril ...beautiful weather but it was a sausage fest

this again....but the weather is sick

otherwise not a fan...can't really leave whatever resort your're in

this
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Going to Jamaica on our honeymoon in early december, anybody been before? What's it like, things to do, etc....staying in Montego Bay

Thanks

I was born there while traveling....you must go west to Negril or stay along the north coast to Ocho Rios and into the green of Portland or visit Boston in St Thomas. There you can get some of the BEST jerk meats in the world, if you eat meat. ;)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Love me some Jamaica. Not sure about not being able to leave the resort. Feel like that's more of a stereotype. Just like any destination in the world, you just can't be stupid and need to know what you're doing. Anyone who is a smart traveller will have no problem in Jamaica. I fucking love it there.
  • 350px-Dunns_River_Falls_climb.JPG

Dunns River Falls...The place is Beautiful and just simply awesome...
    Other than that...stay on the resort, drink on the beach.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Love me some Jamaica. Not sure about not being able to leave the resort. Feel like that's more of a stereotype. Just like any destination in the world, you just can't be stupid and need to know what you're doing. Anyone who is a smart traveller will have no problem in Jamaica. I fucking love it there.

yup. I had no problems leaving the resort. Stay with a group though.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yup. I had no problems leaving the resort. Stay with a group though.

No doubt. I wouldn't recommend wandering through the streets of Montego Bay alone but there are not many tourist destinations in the world where I would recommend that.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    oh, and to the dude goin to Jamaica; you can buy weed from the driver of the bus that goes from the airport to your resort. Or from the resort staff. $50 for a half ounce is the going rate. Just an FYI.

This is a very important piece of information. :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    well i know a friend of a friend who was raped while on a moped trip

he was a male btw

just be careful is all i can say
    dcfaithful wrote:

This is a very important piece of information. :thumbup:

I was a little worried when I got to the resort that I wouldn't be able to find any since it was such a nice resort. An hour after we got there we were having lunch at an outdoor grill on the edge of the resort. On the beach just off the resort there was a dude with a little bar on the beach smoking. And yes, it was about $50 for a half ounce of some good stuff. Left some as a tip for the maids (along with a monetary tip) :lol:
    350px-Dunns_River_Falls_climb.JPG

:clap: This was the best part of my trip when we went...the tour guide was really cool about taking pictures of everyone throughout too. I just remember laughing because all the tourists were going up holding hands in a line and all the locals were running up the falls in bare feet...musta been laughing at us the whole time!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    350px-Dunns_River_Falls_climb.JPG

I went back home I gather to Dunns River Falls from a cruise and we walked from the bottom to the top of the falls. It was almost an hour and my feet and ankles were sore too much cruise activity. When I reached the top thunder clapped above and my feet were pain free from the nearly freezing fresh mountain water. 8-) So give this a try in Ocho Rios, stay in groups and near resorts like someone said earlier.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• We've been twice..Grand Lido Ochos Rios. Puff Daddy or P Diddy (whatever he is called now) had a party at our hotel and since we were paying guest , we got an invite which was cool.

2nd time I bumped into Snoop Dog at the airport (boy is he tall!!)

Dunns River Falls is must ...other than that stay at the resort.

While we were there a British couple on their honeymoon was shot to death in an alley behind the market for tourist. Now I know this can happen in any city, but it's still scary. Avoid the market after the Dunns River Falls unless you intend on buying something...I had numerous mechants grab me by the arm and pull me into their shop and when I tried to walk out the yelled at me for 'disrespecting their store' :?

It's a beautiful place, however very poor so be prepared.

Have fun and congrats. :D
    Avoid the market after the Dunns River Falls unless you intend on buying something...I had numerous mechants grab me by the arm and pull me into their shop and when I tried to walk out the yelled at me for 'disrespecting their store' :?

Good advice, we were conned into spending $40 on some little wooden things because they carved our names in them! :oops:
  • Went on our honeymoon in 2006 and enjoyed it.

We stayed at Sandals Dunns River (I don't think it's a Sandals anymore). I agree that the Dunn's River Falls is a must do. We did a couple resort excursions... horseback riding, the falls, snorkling, etc... It was our honeymoon, and we were more just looking to relax on a nice beach, so we stayed on the resort for the most part.

A good friend of mine got married the week after we did, and they stayed in Sandals Ocho Rios, so we spent some time at their resort with them. Gave a little variety as far as food and stuff.

I'd definitely go back.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • well i know a friend of a friend who was raped while on a moped trip

he was a male btw

:shock:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I went there last year.

I went on this moped trip. I blacked out, and the rest of my trip was ruined because I couldnt stand up straight...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,532
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I went there last year.

I went on this moped trip. I blacked out, and the rest of my trip was ruined because I couldnt stand up straight...

well played.

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
    well i know a friend of a friend who was raped while on a moped trip

he was a male btw

:shock:

true story..obviously robbed as well

he got seperated from his group on the moped's and well..... let's just say he can't be in the woods anymore